Co-sleeper, Bassinet, or Something Else?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from italygirl1977. Show italygirl1977's posts

Co-sleeper, Bassinet, or Something Else?

Hi everyone!

I'm about to show my cluelessness. . . I always thought babies slept in their crib right from the get go, but I'm hearing about all sorts of different options.  The baby's room will be right next to our bedroom, so it's not like we won't hear the baby crying in the night.  Any opinions on co-sleepers, etc?  I'm afraid that the co-sleeper will fall off the bed or that I'll fall back to sleep without putting the baby back in it unless I actually have to get up (these are both probably crazy fears).  Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Co-sleeper, Bassinet, or Something Else?

Italy--I think it is completely your preference. DS slept in his own room from the get-go at our house. (In a PnP at first because his crib was delivered 3 weeks late.) The room was very close to ours and we had monitors, too. DS had trouble latching, and BFing (no matter what time of day) involved attention and manuevering. So, it didn't bother me to get up and go to the other room whenever the wake-ups happened. DS#2 is due in about a month and we'll put him in the PnP in our room. (We're not ready to transition DS#1 to a toddler bed, so we'll go with this for a few months.) It will be interesting to see how this experience compares to our earlier experience.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I agree with Kiwi, that it is really personal preference. Our room is right next to DS's and we had him in his crib from the start.  I knew I'd get up to feed him in his rocker in his room anyway so it didn't make much sense to buy a bassinet for our room, I could hear him just fine w/o the monitor.  Co-sleeping is good if you want to nurse in bed and just roll over and feed then go back to sleep. It can take me a while to fall asleep, which I know would get worse with a baby in the bed so it just wasn't for me.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We put our twins in a crib right from the get go.  I couldn't imagine buying two bassinets in addition to cribs and pack n plays.
    And we didn't have them sleep in with us.  We put a twin bed in their room so I could sleep in with them if necessry.  That way at least Dh got some rest! I have a friend who did this with a singleton too.
    You can do whatever works for you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think you will find that people do MANY different things and that whatever you decide, you may end up changing your mind.

I wasn't sure if my baby's room would be warm enough in winter, so I planned for her to sleep in our room in a newborn rocker for ~6 weeks.  It turned out I really liked having her in the room with us and would have done it for longer, but I was concerned that the rocker was starting to give her a flat head just the tiniest bit, so that motivated me to put her in her own room/crib.

Like others, I also rarely nursed in bed so even when she slept in the room we'd usually got to the living room to nurse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trendy.wendy. Show trendy.wendy's posts

Ditto to what misslily said... We had a double bed in my daughter's room that is perfect for me to crash on when she is up frequently or when DH is snoring. Otherwise, her room is right across the hall from us. Besides that, sometimes having them too close makes you wake up at every little noise when they could be dreaming or could just go back to sleep.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We have DS in our room - we always planned it this way with a mini crib in our bedroom because it is a way to reduce risk of SIDS (and he was born a little over 3 weeks early). Currently, the belief is that babies are safest when their beds are close to their mothers at least for the first 6 months.

It seems like most people on this board are firmly in the crib/separate room - but there are many sleeping arrangements, and we ended up co-sleeping when he was 3-4 months when he got sick and had trouble breathing (and I found it makes it easier for me to cope with the reverse cycling/night nursing, and for those periods when he is battling another minor bug/allergies - otherwise I would just be too tired to deal with the normal daily load).

You will need to find what you are most comfortable with and then go with that since you will find different people will have very different and strong opinions on issues like sleep training/arrangement, nursing and other areas of parenting.

Unless you meet the risk factors that makes co-sleeping too risky, it can be an option to consider, and I wish I had put more thought into it before he was born.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I wouldn't say that most people on here are for sleeping in separate rooms.  It's just that those people have chimed in because it seems to be the way OP is leaning.

I wanted to add to something I alluded to before.  We had no problem with the baby sleeping in our room.  If she did make little noises, and I'm not sure if she did, they didn't bother us or wake us up.  Prior to having a baby I was worried about that because of what I had read on here.  Then again, who knows what would have happened when she was older!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

italy - I think it's definitely a matter of personal preference only.  I am not sure how sleeping in the same room can reduce the chance of SIDS but from all I've read/heard, the baby will be perfectly safe in either his/her own room/crib, or in the room with you. 

We had DD in a bassinet next to my side of the bed for about 4 months.  At first when she was just a wee little thing, it was fine.  But when it got to the point where the noises she made kept me awake during the few precious hours of sleep I was able to get, and when said noises caused me to feel like I had to sleep with my arm slung over the side of the bassinet holding in the binky, I had to make a change because I was getting no sleep.  I didn't breastfeed in bed, I always went to the living room (couldn't ever get comfortable nursing lying down), so she didn't need to be in our room.

I'm not sure if someone else said this, but there is something called a "co sleeper" which is actually a bassinet.  It can just sit next to your bed, or you can take down one of the sides and attach it to the side of your bed (so that there's no barrier between you and the baby).  We had one but used it as a bassinet, never tried the actual "co-sleeping" method.

My guess is you'll find you have a preference as you get closer to delivery, or once the baby is born.  Just go with what you are most comfortable with!  And if it doesn't work for your family, do something else!  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Definitely do what you feel most comfortable doing.  Everyone has their own opinions on this topic.  I had no idea what we were going to do but when the time came i felt comfortable using a cradle at first right next to our bed - i could reach out and rock it a bit if that is all he needed at the time.  I wasn't sure how long I was going to use it but at 6 weeks i had a cold and didnt want to wake him from me sneezing or coughing so moved him to his crib in his room right across the hall and he did great!  slept for longer periods of time so we decided to keep him there.  I had the video monitor right next to my head so I could watch him whenever I wanted.  we all slept much better i thought in two diff rooms so close to each other.  A part of me thinks i would move a 2nd child right to the crib from the start but at the same time I felt like 4-8 weeks is a good amount of time to have them near me in my room too and before they get too used to it so I'd probably do the same thing if I did it all over again too. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

I am going to start with a Co-Sleeper and then switch to the crib. I don
    t know how long we will use the co-sleeper, but a friend of our's is letting us borrow their's so we figured we'd try it. The baby will nap in it's crib or pnp (as when i go back to work, the pnp will be nap central). Good luck deciding.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from italygirl1977. Show italygirl1977's posts

Thanks for the tips, everyone!  I'm still not sure what we'll end up doing, but it's good to hear that many of you started out with your babies in their cribs and they were totally fine!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Just for a different perspective, I always thought the same as you did, babies slept in their cribs in their own room.

But, the nursery wasn't anywhere ready when our DD arrived so she slept in our room in a cradle, but nursed so constantly at first that we found ourselves with a baby in our bed. We bought the snuggle nest for security - it fits between you and your husband on the bed and has just enough of a hard lip to prevent adults from rolling over.

And we found we loved LOVED family bed, with my long work hours it became family time with freqent wake ups for nursing.

Just a few weeks ago, at 11 months, DD started squirming about, being able to crawl and stand in the bed and get out of it and we were worried for her safety. I put her in her crib with no trouble and she sleeps through the night with no problems. DH and I snuggle up together and he whispers in my ear ("I miss L").

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Co-sleeper, Bassinet, or Something Else?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the tips, everyone!  I'm still not sure what we'll end up doing, but it's good to hear that many of you started out with your babies in their cribs and they were totally fine!
    Posted by italygirl1977[/QUOTE]

Newborns will sleep anywhere so it stands to reason they will be "totally fine" in a crib or any of the alternatives you're considering (given proper attention to safety, etc., of course).  What you need to decide is what you will be totally fine with.  Looking at it from that perspective frees you to do what you really want to do without any guilt about maybe doing the "wrong thing" for the baby.  I've never heard of any studies that link where the baby slept to...anything at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our ped told us that the safest, best place for a newborn (0-3 months) was in her own crib or bassinet in our room. We used the Arm's Reach cosleeper, but because we have a platform bed with an extended base we couldn't attach it to our bed. We kept the cosleeper against our bed so that I could easily reach her to nurse. It has one tall side and one short side (the short side can be raised as well). Our bed is low, so the short side created a little wall between us. When we later purchased a foundation for our mattress, the bed was raised above the cosleeper. That seemed dangerous to me because pillows or blankets could fall from our bed onto the baby, so we moved the cosleeper a few feet away. We kept her in that cosleeper for six months. That was too long -- she was a restless sleeper and woke often in the night, and once we moved her to her own room she slept like a log. She still prefers her own space when she sleeps. She didn't much care for the cosleeper in general -- I've heard other parents say the same for their babies. It's a very hard, unyielding sleeping surface. But it's also really, really safe.

If you have a large enough room, you can also "sidecar" the crib to the bed. I believe you remove one side of the crib and strap it to the bed, just like you would with the Arm's Reach cosleeper.

For the purpose of disambiguation, "cosleeping" is more of a blanket term for sleeping in proximity to the baby. "Side-sleeping" refers more specifically to using a cosleeper or sidecarring the crib. And "bedsharing" is sleeping in a bed with your baby. Not that it really matters, but if the OP wants more information on any of these practices, the right search terms could save her a lot of trouble.

Kellymom has a LOT of information on all three types of co-sleeping. But they are crazy over there. Very zealous about AP, breastfeeding, and bedsharing, and there's also a strong anti-vax sentiment. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Co-sleeper, Bassinet, or Something Else? : Newborns will sleep anywhere
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    ha ha ha! not mine

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not even the first week?  Oh, man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Not even the first week?  Oh, man.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    She's made up for it since. Now she sleeps too much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lol - is that possible?  I love sleep!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]I put her in her crib with no trouble and she sleeps through the night with no problems. DH and I snuggle up together and he whispers in my ear ("I miss L").
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]
    Sorry to be off topic, but that is SO, SO sweet.  Love bug.

Everyone has already covered the important points about there being lots of options.
    My two cents is that if you get something to use for trips as well (like a pack and play or other thing), regardless of whether or not they ever sleep in it in your room, keep it in the rotation for naps at home as they get older.  We didn't use the pack and play between maybe 8 and 10 months old because we didn't go anywhere overnight, and then when we went on vacation she hated the stupid thing.  (Now that it's reintroduced, she is fine with it again.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Not to divert from the topic at hand, but I've been wondering about something related. My mom has an old-fashioned wooden cradle up in the attic that she really wants to paint and give to us. It's WAY early to be thinking about such things - I'm 7 weeks today - but does anyone have thoughts on whether a wooden cradle from the 70s (?) would be considered safe for a newborn by today's standards? It's sturdy and basic...at this point, I'm pretty ignorant about baby gear and safety standards, but I know they change fairly frequently. Thanks!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Redsoxfan76. Show Redsoxfan76's posts

I think everyone has made good points - I just have one more thing to add in the "or something else" category...the only additional advice I can give (which sounds obvious) is that whatever you decide to go with, make sure it is FLAT. I say this from personal experience. I didn't do much research because, like you, I thought that the baby just goes in the crib, presto! But then I started reading about how it is safer to have the baby with you until 6 months as well. So at the last minute we decided we'd use a rock n play (google it if you have never heard of one) someone had given us which got rave reviews.
    Well, it gets rave reviews for a reason! Our daughter was sleeping through the night at about 6 weeks (6-8 hour stretches). At about 10 weeks, we still were not getting enough sleep (as someone else mentioned they make a lot of noise sometimes when sleeping!) so we moved her to her own room...magic! We couldn't tell people enough how 'lucky' we were she was STTN (up to 11 hours). Fast forward a couple months, DD is too big for the thing. BUT we try to transition to her crib and she FREAKS! She hates lying flat on her back and she startles herself awake constantly or rolls over and wakes up. She is now 6 months old and we are still trying to get her to STTN again in her PNP (her crib was a nightmare). I have done research and apparently this is the curse of the Rock N Play. Sigh.

The moral is - with our next baby we are going the bassinet route! But regardless, you will figure out what works best for you when the time comes! :) Best of luck and please learn from my mistakes! Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

If you were to ask any medical person about the old cradle I'd bet they'd tell you either it's unsafe, or it cannot be guaranteed safe so don't use it. But painted it might make a good room decoration--keep all the stuffed animals and blankets in it or something.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You might want to check the old cradle for lead paint. You can get a testing kit at Home Depot.