Daycare questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Daycare questions

I'm beginning my search for daycare and boy is it depressing!  I have a couple of questions... and of course I am now blanking on most of them...

1) What qualifies as part time?
    Clearly I will have to ask each provider, but what qualifies in your experience?  According to the EEC website, for example, a lot of places are open from 7-5:30.  If I only need daycare from 9-4 does that qualify?  I highly doubt it.  It would be nice though because the hourly rate x7 is often less than the daily rate.

2) Have you found that what is on the EEC website is accurate?
    It often shows the same rates for infants, toddlers, and preschool; that doesn't seem right.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: Daycare questions

Hi Fram,
    I'd guess part-time would apply to more like 3-4 hours.... or 2-3 days per week.  I don't know about the accuracy of the EEC site for pricing, but you may just have to call around to places.  Most centers are more for infants and decrease down as they age up to preschool.  Not sure how the home daycares do it.  Another helpful site is a national accreditation organization, NAEYC and you can search for accredited centers on their site.  I'm assuming your accounting for drop-off/pick up time and commute in/out of daycare when you say 9-4, right?  My official work hours are 8:30-4:30, but that means DS is in daycare from about 8:10-4:50 daily, or for all intents and purposes, 8-5. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

From my experience (we only looked at home daycares) each daycare had different rules on what qualified as part time.  One place I called it had to be less than 20 hours a week, where the place that DD goes to part time is less than 5 days per week.  We paid an extra $5 a day for DD to be part time.

For the EEC site I found it was up to date for the most part.  The rates at home daycares (from my experience and my area) were the same no matter the age of the child.  My understanding is that with centers this is not normally the case.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

It is depressing, isn't it? 

As a point of reference, at mine part time can be less hours or less days. 

So, you can either pick your LO up by 3:30pm (!!) or you can only take them in 1,2, or 3 days per week. 

Both of those options would be less $$ than full time which is M-F 7am-6pm.

HTH!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the input ladies!  I'm not quite ready to make calls yet, but definitely soon.  For now just making a long list of possibilities.

I figured part time would be less than 5 days a week or half days, but it's worth asking!  DH works an early shift and I work a later shift, so I could drop off at 9 and he could pick up at 4. 

A lot of the daycares on the EEC website say the hours are until 5.  That's another reason I was wondering about accuracy.  A LOT of people work until 5 so how could they pick up from daycare by then?!

I am finding that daycare is slightly cheaper if I drive about 15 minutes from home - towards my work.  Can anyone think of downsides to that?  It would be slightly inconventient for DH because if he were picking up, he'd have to drive 15 minutes past home.  But I think overall it would work out fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Fram, I can't think of any downsides to that.  My daycare is at my work, so the main responsibility is on me for drop off/pick up, but DH still makes it work on the days he needs to be there.  The other perk is that the closer it is to work, if I do need ot run a quick errand first, I can sqeeze it in and then get him... also, traffic home doesn't impact my ability to get him on-time.  If I did daycare near my house, it would be easier on DH or when I had sick day or something, but overall, it would basically mean DS would be in school for another whole hour a day. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Daycare questions:
    [QUOTE]A lot of the daycares on the EEC website say the hours are until 5.  That's another reason I was wondering about accuracy.  A LOT of people work until 5 so how could they pick up from daycare by then?! I am finding that daycare is slightly cheaper if I drive about 15 minutes from home - towards my work.  Can anyone think of downsides to that?  It would be slightly inconventient for DH because if he were picking up, he'd have to drive 15 minutes past home.  But I think overall it would work out fine.
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

We didn't end up going with a daycare, but I did a lot of calling around when we were exploring our options. I found that the home daycare providers were very flexible when it came to drop-off and pick-up times. The ones I spoke with all had full time as five days and part time as 2-4 days.

If you were sick, the 15-minute drive might seem like a pain. But then again, you'd get to go home and sleep after. I drive 15 minutes to my babysitter's now and I thought I had it pretty easy! Our last sitter was about 30-45 minutes away (even though she was only about 4.5 miles from us -- stupid city traffic).

Good luck! Trying to find child care was by far the worst and most stressful aspect of parenthood for us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Fram, I sent a few inquiry emails recently with not much luck - but one woman from Kindercare in Stoneham called me back and said they are having an open house on 10/20 until 7PM. Even though it is pretty early, we decided to go check it out - we really want to get a realistic idea of pricing, etc so for us (well, me) planning way ahead is beneficial. I know  Stoneham probably isn't on your way - but it might be worth going for info?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the suggestion, Silver!  I will check them out online.  During my online search, I have noted a couple of places in Stoneham.  It wouldn't be on my way to work, but if it were only 10-15 minutes out of the way that wouldn't be bad.
    Someone on here recommended a daycare in Wakefield to me.  I will email you the info.  I don't think it would work well for us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Silver, good idea to go to the visiting night, but also just "stop by" with out calling or anything when kids are there (if you can get out of work early or something). This will give you a better idea of what goes on in the center.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I know a few of you girls are in the Melrose area... so I thought I would post this.

The home-based daycare that I worked in when I was younger (and actually went to many moons ago... scary how long ago that was!) has several openings as she had 3 kids start school this fall and are not in daycare anymore.  Very loving place, the provider was like a 2nd mom to me.  Prices are very reasonable ($50/day). 

If anyone is interested in the details, let me know and I'll pass on her name, address, and phone number.  She is off of grove st. closer to the main st. end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

FYI- I am on my husbands account! Pardon all of the hockey pictures :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsw978. Show rsw978's posts

Is staying home an option?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I contacted a bunch of places this morning!  Feels good to get the ball rolling.  Not really expecting to hear back from too many via email, so will have to start making calls soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]I know a few of you girls are in the Melrose area... so I thought I would post this. The home-based daycare that I worked in when I was younger (and actually went to many moons ago... scary how long ago that was!) has several openings as she had 3 kids start school this fall and are not in daycare anymore.  Very loving place, the provider was like a 2nd mom to me.  Prices are very reasonable ($50/day).  If anyone is interested in the details, let me know and I'll pass on her name, address, and phone number.  She is off of grove st. closer to the main st. end.
    Posted by bostongrl[/QUOTE]

Boston, I'd love that info!! I was thinking of looking for day cares where I work, but being 2 min from my house and only 50/day would be worth it.  I Think if I friend you we can send messages.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Hi Fram,
    We decided to go with Kindercare in Acton.  Parttime is not a big difference in cost but they are much more flexible than Bright Horizons.  Bright Horizons (I liked there curriculum) but part time had to be M,W,F.  At Kindercare you can pick the days (at least the one in Acton) and if on one week I want to add days I can. Because both my husband and I work seeing patients, we had to have a place that was not going to close due to an illness or quit on us randomly (unfortunately, I have had several friends with nannies with this problem).  We were quoted about 950 for the month for 3 days per week.  BH was close to 1300 per month.  It is a lot of money for sure.

We also went with daycare that is on my way to work and 17 minutes from our house but will be farther from my husband's work.  I have a big commute so not a lot of options.

Good luck.  This was something we did early in the process and was so nice to have it over and done with.  I think we reserved when I was 19 weeks or something like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Daycare questions : Boston, I'd love that info!! I was thinking of looking for day cares where I work, but being 2 min from my house and only 50/day would be worth it.  I Think if I friend you we can send messages.
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]
    Personally, I'd opt for close to home instead of close to work. Easier drop-off if you're sick, and less time screaming in the car seat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I think closer to home is better too..  if you are sick, or if you switch/change jobs, or if you are splitting pick up/drop off time.  Fram - like you I emailed about 5 on Monday to see who would get back to me that way before calling.  2 out of the 5 did and 1 of those two seemed reasonable..  $90/day and takes part time 3 days a week, any 3 days you choose...  I just have no comparison point on price besides the other one that emailed me that said they were $325/week for 3 days/week.  teacher child ratio at both was 1-3 as well which I think is good. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

ajuly... just responded to your message

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

For those of you who use (or are planning to use) an in home daycare, did you find that you couldn't arrange it very far in advance?

I called about 10 daycares so far.  2 said they think they will have an open spot next spring, but call back around January/February.  (I'm due in February.)  The other 2 weren't as specific, but said to call back in Jan/Feb.
    The woman who was the most specific was awesome on the phone so hopefully that pans out.  She said she'll have an infant spot open in March and if I call back in January she could hold that for me until my maternity leave is up.  Obviously I need to visit a few before making a decision, but good to know I have that one possibility!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Hi Fra and Silver, 

Just catching up on this thread and wanted to chime in about childcare centers in Stoneham/Melrose.  I would suggest visiting/ getting on waiting lists now if you haven't already.  We put out names on a few lists last March and *just* got the call that a space was available for us in December in the one we wanted.  We also called a few other centers in Melrose and Stoneham, and they told us last March that they wouldn't have openings for us until Feb earliest.  

Hopefully things have calmed down a bit, but thought I'd share this in case you are going to do a center rather than in home.

Also, Silver, there is a new center (just opened in Sept) on Franklin St in Stoneham, right down the street from Kinder.  We toured it in Sept and were really impressed.  It's small and intimate and everything is new/ clean.  We would have gone there if we could have gotten in for Dec, but no space was available. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

That place is on my list - I think it is cheaper than Kindercare, but still a little more than we're hoping to have to spend. It is actually looking like we may be able to get away with NO daycare costs for the first year - but we'll see.

I almost threw up at the Stoneham Kindercare prices...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

DD goes to in home daycare and I could not get anything set up until after she was born which ws frustrating/stressful.  I found a place that I liked but had a few reservations about, mainly the woman was a on the old side and very soft spoken.  I put a deposit down since I had nothing else lined up, then 2 weeks before I was supposed to return to work I found another place that I liked a lot better. 

Basically in home daycare is a whole different reservation process than the centers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

I had a challenging time with this and am so thankful to be done with my search (hopefully this isn't a jinx). I started my search near home but the prices were more then my husband made a week (some of the suburban prices are ridiculous). So I expanded my search to less affluent towns within a 5-10 mile radius and such better luck! I found a loving woman that does in home day care and told me she would hold the spot for me in March when I return to work :-). I found her through an employee assistance program that I basically just gave my area and price requirements to and they sent me several lists of different places in my area and their prices. If you have access to a program like that I'd highly reccommend it!