December 2012 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wasMM379. Show wasMM379's posts

Re: December 2012 Pregnancy

I think you are right Chiclet - I could swear that since MA is 8 per birth, that brings it to 16, of which the first 12 run concurrently with FMLA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your first post had a typo - it says 6 weeks fmla, just so you know why I said I thought it was 12. I didn't figure out you had meant 16 because I didn't know the MA allowance of 8 per.  Ok, that's straightened out, lol!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

medford--so glad to hear that your appt went well! that is a relief. I hope the echo goes great too!

SSbride--it's obviously a very personal decision about when to tell. i would think a lot would depend on your relationship with your boss. I'm personally waiting until after my 12w NT scan u/s and genetic screen before considering widening the circle of who knows beyond my immediate family and the 2 friends I've already told.  I feel like that will be my best early indication of the health of this pregnancy. I know with twins it's normal to start showing earlier, so I could see that being a factor. 

For work, I will probably wait until: I start to show obviously, after my 18 week a/s, or whenever my supervisor starts talking about project assignments for next year, whichever comes first. 

I've done the "un-telling" thing at 12 weeks before and it is no fun. That said there is no magic pregnancy "safe zone" that kicks in at exactly 12 weeks--just a relatively gradual decrease in the probability of loss once you get out past 6 or 8 weeks. So I think the focus on getting to some precise week count threshold and then feeling safe is a little artificial. At some point, it requires a leap of faith and it makes more sense to tell then to wait, but when that point is surely varies. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Wow ladies, I had no idea I was allowed 8 weeks for each baby.  That's amazing news!!!  If they give me 16 I'm certainly going to take it all.  After reading some books on twins already I know I'll need it.  Definitely looking into that further.

Kar, at my 8 week ultrasound the RE said the miscarriage risk had dropped to less than 6%.  I've read that if all looks good at 10 weeks (which we'll find out Wednesday) the risk is less than 3% and at 12 weeks falls to less than 1%.  So its more of a continuous drop from what I understand than a particular date at which the risks become much lower.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Sorry about the typo! My bad! :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I understand that the human body cannot possibly have an on/off risk switch.  At 12 weeks it's generally considered low enough to tell, though.  You have to decide if you're willing to tare a 6% chance of untelling; not sure if we can help with that decision.  You have more info than most for having had the very early u/s.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

thanks, all, for the kind words!

SS, you might not be showing as much as you think.  People see what they expect to see!  I told last week at work (around 18 weeks), and everyone was all shocked (or claimed to be!) and said how they couldn't tell.  Then suddenly this week, everyone's all "oh, you can really see it now!!"  Granted, I had invested in some long sweaters to wear over my black tops, and I tried to suck it in pretty hard.  Now I've abandoned the effort.  :)  My personal experience is that people are much more likely to suspect from the non-drinking than from appearance.  I do hear you on the setting of goals for next year, though.  And that's where your relationship with your boss matters a lot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Kar, the 6% was 2 weeks ago and hoping to get closer to a 3% chance from OB if everything looks good Wednesday. 

So I guess its really about a 2% difference in risk between the end of this week or when I hit the 2nd trimester at Xmas.  Obviously these are just stats though and no matter what it would be incredibly awful to be in the 3/100th person and have to untell my managers. 

Med, hopefully people are oblivious but everyone I've seen this week and told (which is actually quite a few since we were pretty open with our immediate family and close friends about our ivf process) sees the bump and has commented on it.  Of course I don't think anyone I haven't told would say anything directly at this point but I'm guess people are at least suspecting I'm getting fat haha.  I actually skipped our holiday party last week though since I figured the non-drinking would be even more of a give away. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My point is that you know more than most - go with your extra info and your gut.  No matter when you tell there's a risk, and you're fortunate to have a number assigned to your particular case to work with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Medford - I hope the good news continues for you!

I'm at 17 weeks, and I am considering getting the maternity clothes out of storage. My pants are still fitting OK, but my shape is changing, and my underwear keeps rolling under my belly. I'm not sure if the pregnancy panties from last time are stretched beyong use, but I had a terrible time yesterday trying to adjust my underwear discretely. 

We also had our anatomy scan today, and everything is looking good, but they want me back in a few weeks, because we were a little early on this scan, (usually done between 18-20 weeks) so I'll get another chance to see him in January. Hopefully I'll also be feeling him by then. I feel so much better after this scan, but DH was actually more worried. They pointed out a few things that they want to keep an eye on (placenta is close to my cervix, but more than 2 cm, and the cord comes off the placenta from the side vs. the middle.) I found that to be reassuring, because when things weren't going right with my previous pregnancies, they always tried to point out anything that might be positive. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

amy-lynn--wow didn't realize you are already 17 weeks (though it makes sense)!  glad the a/s went well!  Hope round 2 is great too.  I'm impressed that your pants still fit! I'm already using a bella band type thing on my skinniest jeans (they do still zip, just not that comfortable), and I'm at 12 weeks...  I've only gained 1 lb so far, but I feel like my shape is redistributing more than my weight has changed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I told my boss at 10weeks with my second pregnancy because of a similar planning/scheduling issue where I knew if I didn't tell her I would be stuck doing pretend/worthless work planning things that weren't real.  This was made easier, however, by the fact she has two kids under age 3 and knows what it's like to navigate work/pregnancy decisions.  But if it had been my first pregnancy I don't think I would have done the same thing.  Also, if I weren't in a job that is very pregnancy-friendly I probably would have struggled more with the decision.

A previous poster was right, they might not realize your growth as much as you do.  'Tis the season for some holiday weight gain.  A few baggy sweaters over the maternity pants and people might not notice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Just lurking to see how y'all are doing...

Med-I had a fetal echo with DD, for a different reason, if you have any questions on the process (though it's just an u/s) PM me. It was definitely nerve wracking. Wishing you the best.

As for telling, I've had to tell before I wanted to with both kids. With DS I told my boss around 12 weeks because another co-worker found out and she has a big mouth-didn't want it to get around via rumor. Told the rest of my co-workers when I was 20 weeks-which was good timing since an hour after I told them there was a huge gas leak at my office (almost blew up my building) so when I ran off to the OB they all understood. With DD I had to tell everyone around 12 weeks (would have waited), but we were painting our office space and I had to tell everyone why I wasn't helping the team out to pain. I would definitely tell before having to set goals for the next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from frank0807. Show frank0807's posts

I am new to all of this and I am trying to stay away from Google until my doctors appointment in January. I got a positive test on Saturday!!! For the last couple of days, I have had some cramping, nothing too painful. I am thinking this is normal. I also get nausous in the afternoon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Minor cramping and even spotting is very normal while painful cramps with red blood is bad.  Congrats!!  Sounds like things are ok.  Take your frolic acid if you aren't already right away.  It prevents birth defects that can occur this early as the stem cells start to form the spinal column.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Folic acid, lol.  Dumb autocorrect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Haha, I think I like it better as frolic acid. Sounds like a lot more fun! :-)

Congrats Frank! The cramping is fairlynormal. I had some moments where I swear AF was right around the corner, but obviously that didn't happen! Like kar said, if it gets really painful or you see red blood, call your doctor. That's not necessarily the sign of a problem, but you're better off confirming with your doctor than worrying about it. Make sure you keep snacks nearby and don't let yourself get too hungry. Snacking usually kept my stomach happy early on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from frank0807. Show frank0807's posts

Thanks! I have been taking vitamins now for about 3 mos. This is a random question, but did anyone stop using bleach cleaners when cleaning the bathroom?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Frank, congrats and welcome!  I have been making DH clean the bathroom just to be on the safe side but am not sure if its hazardous,

Everyone else, thanks so much for the thoughts on whether to tell yet or not.  Haven't made up my mind but hoping tomorrow's appointment puts me at ease enough to tell so I don't have to make fake work plans for next year (due Friday) and do them all over later (which is difficult and requires announcements sent to all of our customers... a big factor in the decision).

amy-lynn, congrats on making 17 weeks and the great anatomy scan!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Frank, I didn't change cleaning products, but I do turn on the fan when I clean the bathroom to keep it better ventilated. I don't think I'm ever in there long enough for it to really have an effect.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Frolic acid definitely sounds more fun, lol

frank, my BFF stopped using harsh cleansers for both her pregnancies, a singleton and triplets.  They are all (3 yo and three 5 month olds) healthy. I have no idea if it would have made a difference, but I know she felt strongly about it.  I have many more friends who didn't change a thing.  In 20 years I've had friends with lots of healthy babies but also those with miscarriages (myself included), birth defects, bronchial development problems, autism...but, anything attributable to bleach fumes?  I have no idea.  Go with what feels right to you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Gabriella’s birth story

On Nov. 23, 2012, I woke up with an awful back pain on lower right side.  As the day went on it got worse and I started to vomit.  I figured I must have gotten a virus/cold from someone during thanksgiving.  Things just kept on getting worse and that evening a called the doctor’s office. I was told to head to L & D.  

I was given an IV fluids and meds to help with the pain and vomit.  They thought that I may have a kidney or bladder infection.  The meds helped me get some sleep that night and the following morning I was told that all the tests came back negative.  They asked if I could feel contractions but I could not because the back pain was too intense.  I was discharged at 12:30pm on Sat. because the contraction were not regular yet. I was told to go home and take a nice hot shower and head to bed.  I did was I was told and at 2:30 pm when I shifted in bed there was a gush of fluid.  At first I thought I peed myself but when I went to get out of bed more came out.  Called my husband, doctor and headed back to L & D.

Once at the birthing center it was confirmed that I my water broke and the contractions are regular.  I was admitting and brought directly to the birthing room.  The back pain was even more intense now and I could now feel the contractions with it.  I wanted a natural birth but the pain and the lack of sleep, I need a break.  So, I opted for the epi,  I was able to get some sleep but woke up to intense pressure.  I was at 6 centimeters and within a couple of hours at 9.

Then I was stuck at 9 for three hours and the baby’s heart rate was dropping.  It was decided to do a c-section.  She was born Sunday, Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:41 AM.  It seems that Gabriella was coming down the birth canal face up and got stuck at my pelvic bone.  Poor thing was trying really hard and her poor deformed head was proof of it.  Anyways, she is health and strong.  She a good baby, loves to eat and sleep.

Trying real hard to continue breast feeding because we both enjoy it.  My supply is not enough for her so I have been topping it off with formula.  Been taking fenugeek and will be getting my pump today.  Hopefully I will be able to built up my supply soon.

I have also posted a picture of her on the Facebook page.  The picture was taken by my sister when she was three days old.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I can not believe most of you are already nearing your half way point.  Those of you in the beginning stages, crossing my fingers and toes that things continue to progress smoothly.

As far as tell work, I feel it's a personnel desicion.  I waiting until 19 weeks because I was between managers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Amy-lynn, great news.  :)

KAM, thanks for the commiseration!  I feel really happy with how the last doctor I had explained it, so I'll just be hoping the people in pediatric cardiology are as nice.

Tomarra, thanks for sharing your story!  I always enjoy reading them.  Congrats on your new little one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Congratulations Tomarra!  Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Sections
Shortcuts