December 2012 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: December 2012 Pregnancy

Congrats Tomarra!  I always love reading the birth stories.

SSBride - I told my direct boss at 11 weeks when I found out I had another appointment the next week and was sick of giving vague reasons for why I had to be late for work.  I knew I was not obligated to tell him anything, but we were fairly tight and he had 3 kids, so I felt comfortable.  Told other people at work around 14 weeks.  I was looking at Mass.gov and it didn't look to me like the MA leave is 8 weeks per child.  I think it's just 8 weeks period... hopefully I am wrong for your sake!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congratulations Tom! She's beautiful! I'm sorry you had such a hard time getting her out!

SS - Check out Question 6 on this list of questions about MMLA. http://www.mass.gov/mcad/maternity3.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations Tomarra! Enjoy your healthy little girl.

SS - I had an employee that went out on MMLA with twins and she got 8 weeks per child.  If they will give you the full 16 take them :)

As for telling work, I told at 9 weeks, really early compared to most.  I work for a wonderful company that has been nothing but supportive so that made things easier.  The other factor for me was that in a relatively small department I have a pretty big role and I knew it would take a lot of coordination for our team to cover my duties while I was out.  And boy was I right, we ended up splitting up my job between 7 people which took lots of training and teamwork. There is no right or wrong time to tell work so if it feels right for you go ahead and tell them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Thanks ladies for sharing all your stories about telling at work.  Just hoping this afternoon's appoint goes great so I can feel comfortable spilling the beans to the higher ups. 

I was too curious on the maternity leave question of 12 weeks (FMLA) versus potentially 16 weeks (MMLA).  So yesterday I called our benefits person in our HR department which is based in Chicago (I asked the lady to keep our conversation confidential and I think they have to.  Plus she's not in our office so I felt pretty safe doing so).  She wasn't sure at first but later confirmed I do in fact get 16 weeks through MMLA.  Yay!!!

I have you ladies and this forum to thank for the extra 4 weeks I now plan to take to spend with the babies.  I would never have known or thought to check on getting extra time through MMLA for twins.  I also doubt HR would have clued me in since our parent company is in a different state and I'll be the first person in the MA office to have twins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Med - so glad to hear your u/s went well!

Frank - congratulations!

SS - good luck this afternoon. And 16 weeks is great!

I had my anatomy scan today. We found out we're having a boy! I am shocked, as I really thought it was a girl. The tech wouldn't say if everything measured normal, which is annoying. I'm hoping my doctor will call ASAP if something doesn't look right. The tech did say that the placenta is in the front, which is why I'm not feeling much movement yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Congrats on the boy, JL!  If you are curious about the measurements, I would feel free to call your OB/midwife in the next few days to check.

Med - that's such great news!  So happy for you.  Good luck on the echo.

Frank - congrats and welcome!

Tomarra - that was a great story!  I have a friend whose labor also began with vomiting, which I had never heard of (and didn't happen to me).  It is so interesting how it feels so different for everyone.  Also, I had supply issues with my DD as well, and I also supplemented with formula.  However, I found that pumping as much as possible really helped.  I would try to pump after each feeding because she wasn't always super efficient at getting the milk out, and I also pumped before I went to bed.  After pumping a lot over the course of a couple weeks, I finally saw my supply increase so that I was pretty much covering all her needs.  It was a lot of work though.  Good luck!

As for me, I had another midwife appointment today (21 weeks) and all is well.  She went over my ultrasound results in detail with me, which was interesting.  She also let me know that they couldn't get a good view of one of the veins to the heart, so we will be doing another ultrasound in a couple weeks.  It will be great to see the baby again, and I hope all is well.  The midwife really thought it was just a freak thing with the position of the baby, but DH is kind of worried.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats on the ultrasound JL! There are a lot of little boys coming to these boards. I couldn't see the measurements at my ultrasound either but at least the tech told me that the baby was growing well. I'm sure they'd call you if there was something they needed you to know before your next appointment.

Memes - I think I'd be more excited about seeing the baby again too than worried about the vein. My little one was so squirmy, I wouldn't be surprised if we missed something too. But the more times I get to see my kid, the better!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

jl, congrats on the boy!  Memes, glad you had a good appoint and I would trust your midwife that most likely it was just a bad view.

We had the most amazing first OB appointment yesterday.  Got to see the babies and they were moving around like crazy!  One was kicking and the other was waving at us... so adorable and we couldn't believe how much they look like babies already.  We also got to actually hear the heartbeats for the first time with the doppler.

My OB was so reassuring.  She said while she can never give anyone a zero chance of miscarriage she said the risk was extremely low at this point.  She said in her experience in almost all cases after this point there are some signs by 10 weeks.  Made me feel so good and I could not be any more excited right now. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

YAY SS! I'm excited for you!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations on your baby boy and a good u/s, JL!  That's great!  

And hooray for a good u/s for you SS as well!

We had our early risk assessment (aka NT scan) yesterday, and everything looked good.  We will get the full results next week, but it was so reassuring to see our LO waving at us in there.  He or she was a stubborn one so we spent a long time repositioning and trying to get him/her to flip so we could get the measurements they needed, but eventually LO cooperated.  Measurements are right on track (well actually a few days ahead) at 12w3d.  We're grateful to be at this point now, and feeling hopeful.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  I've been off these boards for quite a long time.  I only briefly hopped on last summer before I had a m/c in July.  But as of yesterday, I am 12 weeks along with what appears to be a healthy pregnancy so far.  Still really nervous... but DH and I feel like being 12 weeks exactly on 12/12/12 is some type of sign!  Due date is June 26.  So I guess I'm ready to jump back onto the pg boards.  Siena - looks like we are only a few days apart!

Congrats to tomarra (love reading people's birth stories - they are all so different).  and congrats to all the pg ladies in all your various stages and trimesters - medford, memes, chiclet, jl, ssbride, and anyone I may have missed.  Looks like 2013 is going to be a busy year!

Hopefully everyone is feeling good.  I've been surprised to have quite a bit of nausea and bad headaches.  I had some headaches and fatique when I was pg with DD (almost 2.5 now), but the nausea really threw me for a loop.  I actually lost 3 pounds between my 9 week and 12 week appointments.  Thank goodness for DH.  Taking care of a 2 year old when you feel like you are going to vomit any minute is no fun - thank goodness he was able to step in when I just needed to lay down.

We also had our 12 week ultrasound and nuchal translucency test yesterday.  All looked good and the baby was dancing and flipping up a storm.  Way more active than my DD ever was on any ultrasound!  Even though things looked good on the NT test - we still opted for the genetic testing.  I am 36, so it falls under the umbrella of acceptable tests for a mother of "advanced maternal age" (I HATE calling it that, but alas...).  It is the MaterniT21 or Verify test (those are the name brands depending on which lab you choose) where they look at the baby's DNA based on the mother's blood sample.  I think my doctor called it free floating fetal DNA.  It is really cool.  Pretty high accuracy rate (like 99%) for the most common genetic disorders and you can also find out the gender - which we plan to do.  Now I just have to wait a week or two for the results.

Other than that, just hoping for a nice healthy full-term pregnancy.  My DD was born spontaneously without warning at 33 weeks, and she was also born with a heart condition, so I'm considered "high risk" this time around.  I'm in the high risk group at the Brigham and they are amazing there and I'm so happy with my new OB.  I'll have to start progesterone shots once a week at 16 weeks - 36 weeks (to hopefully prevent preterm labor).  And if I get to 36 weeks or beyond I will thank my lucky stars.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

AL, I"m so happy for you! I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes smoothly (and longer than the last, if it all works out!)

If your OB is Dr. Economy, she's wonderful.  I am sure everyone else in the high-risk  group at the Brigham is wonderful, but Dr. Economy was my OB with both my girls and she was great all the way through.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats ALS and welcome back! Hopefully this pregnancy is nice and uneventful!

I didn't realize there were so many ultrasounds on the boards this week! I'm glad everyone's little ones are looking healthy so far!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

ALS, JL, SS, Siena - great news all around!

It's so cheering to read these cool stories.  JL, that's also great you got to find out the placenta is in the front!

Also, thanks all for the kind words.  We are doing great here, and I feel lucky to have the extra reassurance of the placenta in the *back*, so I'm getting tons of movement!  I hope everyone has a nice weekend.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Welcome & congrats ALS!  We share a due date (or at least, that's the due date from my 7w u/s, and I think it's the one my DH has in his head)!  I do agree that 12 weeks on 12/12/12 alongside a good NT scan that day seemed like a good milestone.  :) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

So much exciting news! 

Sorry for doubting, Chiclet - I've never heard of 16 weeks of MMLA.  That is AWESOME!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Can't believe that I'm almost through the first trimester!  And thanks Lissa - it is encouraging to hear great things about BWH MFM.  I've heard good things about Dr. Economy too.  My OB is Dr. Feinberg and I couldn't be happier with him.  He really spends a lot of time with me, even when I know the office is swamped with patients.  He also was incredibly caring and compassionate in helping me through my m/c last summer.  He is probably the most kind doctor I've had - OB or otherwise.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  These boards are relatively quiet this week.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, ALS, congrats!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

So the news is out at work!  I told my boss, boss' boss, and CEO last Friday and am so glad I did since its made the whole goal setting process so much better.  Then this week one of my co-workers who is really close to me and knew about our whole ivf ordeal told me that it was getting really obvious and I couldn't hide my belly much longer (I'm looking about 5 months pregnant right now).  So I decided to start telling people selectively.....

Well the first person I told is woman who sits near me that I'm pretty close with.  She was so excited for me she screamed at the news and a guy near her overheard.  He told his boss who then proceeded to tell EVERYONE.  Literally within 15 minutes I think everyone in my 50 person company heard.  I got nothing done all day with all the congratulations and excitement.  By the afternoon two people in our Chicago office even called to say congrats.

I definitely didn't expect it to spread that fast but it does feel great to be out.  So excited to tell our extended families at Christmas!!!  Happy holidays everyone!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

That's great news SS! It's good that it got out to the whole office at once and now no one is left in the dark. There will be much less talking behind your back now!

In the last week at work, a coworker has walked by me and said, "Hehe, bump!", the admin in my department spoke to my belly, and the controller said, "Hey Chubby!" when I sat down at a meeting. Luckily he's the kind of guy who can take as much ribbing as he gives, so I just said, "How are you doing, Chubby?" and that was it. People come over to comment on how much my belly is growing (because apparently it's socially acceptable to talk about my belly but can you imagine what would happen if I said that to anyone else in the office). I've actually been kind of surprised at how excited people are. I thought they'd be more indifferent but no, they're legitimately excited.

Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating next week!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Merry christmas everyone! Can't believe I'm also celebrating 12 weeks tomorrow.  So grateful to have made it to this point!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

That's great that your colleagues were so excited SS! I hope those who celebrated had a nice holiday yesterday, and maybe a relaxing day off work even for those who don't celebrate Christmas. :)

I had the world's shortest OB appt today.  I'm 14 weeks now.  My regular doctor was on vacation, so we saw someone else in the practice (who has seen me before, but I don't think she remembered me).  I think it was chiclet who was asking if short OB appts were normal?  I think I spent less than 3 minutes with the doctor in the room this time.  But happily, the nurse found baby's heart chugging away on the doppler, so that was all I really needed to know.  Now I just have to figure out how to wait 4 weeks for my next appointment (that one will be my anatomy scan!)--that is the longest I've ever gone between appointments in this pregnancy, even though I know it is the normal interval.

I'm finding I'm at an awkward stage with respect to my body/shape.  I've gained 2 lbs so far but most of my pants are uncomfortably tight, even though they still zip.  The maternity pants don't really stay up properly though.  And maternity shirts look funny because I don't have a visible bump--I just look sort of newly thick in the middle--but my regular shirts mostly aren't long enough to hide the panel on my maternity pants. I hate to spend lots of money on maternity wear, when it's only 6 months of use, and I have plenty of baby expenses to save for.  Also, I haven't told anyone at work yet, so I don't want to wear anything that looks too "maternity"!  If any one has tips on maternity fashion, I'm listening!  I'm sort of looking forward to having a real bump and looking pregnant rather than plump.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I believe you can get waist extenders for your pants at Joann Fabrics that will give you 2 or 3 inches.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Siena, you could get a bella band. Target makes one as well. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Siena, sorry your appointment was so frustrating. I think it takes me longer to get to the midwives' office than it does to have my appointment!

With respect to your wardrobe, how short are your current shirts? If they aren't too short, maybe you could invest in some maternity camis and leave them untucked? I think they'll cover your panel without being too obvious. I had a lot of longer cowl-neck tops that I was able to wear during that awkward phase. It only lasted about 2 or 3 weeks for me before I couldn't put it off any longer. 

Sections
Shortcuts