December Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlitzyCity. Show GlitzyCity's posts

Re: December Pregnancy

Hi everyone,
    I used to lurk on the TTC board but I just got what I think (I hope!) is my BFP...light second line on my pink wondfo...I'm 11 DPO. I can't believe it, I'm not even thinking clearly, I was pacing crazily around my bathroom for a good 5 mins after seeing the line. We've been trying for 10 months, so you'd think I'd maybe be prepared, but...I feel totally unprepared!! I honestly don't know what to do! What do I do now?!

I called my primary care doc's office, it's apparently closed on Saturdays. ha! (I don't have an OB/GYN, but I think there must be OBs associated with my primary care office...). I've been popping my Flintstones vitamins because I can't swallow pills--should I continue with the Flintstones and maybe pick up a Folic Acid supplement?

Is there anything else I should do, anyone else I should call?? I'm sorry, I must seem like a crazy person, but no one knows we've been trying so I don't really have anyone to ask! We are going to keep this a secret until we are fairly sure it is gonna stick. Thank you so much for any information, and I feel bad about barging in on this thread without reading any of the preceding posts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A very faint line is a BFP, and there nothing you can (or should) do but enjoy the excitement!!  CONGRATULATIONS and super sticky thoughts to you.  

Well, actually, there are a couple of things.  If you're not taking folic acid (prenatal vitamin) already get on that immediately - birth defects can occur this early as the spinal cord develops without enough folic acid.  I have no idea if Flinstones have folic acid, but I think you need 400 micrograms per day.  Also, do NOT OD on Flinstones vitamins.  Take the recommended amount.  You can do damage by taking too many.  Reduce caffeine to <300 mg per day; more than that is correlated with early m/c.

OK, I think that's about it.  Jumping around is perfectly safe. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Don't let the safety police scare you, Glitzy.

First, speak with your doctor.

I couldn't take prenatals, they were too big for me to swallow, and too hard to chew. I couldn't even break them down with a mortar and pestle. They aren't for everyone, and OB-GYNs recognize it and provide alternatives. Such as:

Therefore I was prescribed 2 (yes, 2) Flinstone's vitamins a day. Check the label, some have more folic than others. But you don't want to overdo it with the folic, either, that can't help the baby. If you're eating spinach, drinking orange juice and eating Total cereal, all those have folic acid - Total has it 100 percent RDA for a non-pregnant woman. Check with your doctor. YOU won't OD on folic, but the baby could potentially be harmed. Your ob-gyn will tell you how to balance your folic foods with your folic vitamins.

Caffeine: The jury is still out on that one, and changes its mind every year. I was allowed four cups of caffeined coffee (32 ounces) a day; one glass of red wine a day. The year before, it was 1 cup of coffee; the years after, as many as pregnant women wanted (within reason). I gave birth to a healthy baby on my four cuppas and the occasional wine.

Consult consult consult with your clinical team. Recommendations and studies change. Some of us are polymaths - does not make us doctors, though; don't take anyone's (including my) advice here as the last word.

Congratulations! Pregnancy is a magical voyage. May yours be safe and uneventful. xo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: December Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]. I have another u/s on the 15th.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]
    I do too. Maybe we'll see each other.  We can be OB buddies.  I like to go to the JP Licks  on the corner every time I go to the doctor's haha.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Glizty,

If you have been trying for 10 months, have you already been on folic acid? I went off the pill in September and got pregnant in October, but had been on 800mg of folic acid a day since August.

Now, I take one pre-natal a day. I suggest Rainbow Light Pre-Natals. They have ginger in them so they are easier on your stomach. It has 800mg of folic acid. I also take a plant-based DHA Omega 3 supplement a day. Enfamil makes it, but I take the Target brand. I met with my OB yesterday for the first time and she said that DHA is important, so I would suggest finding a supplement with NO mercury in it.

Good luck! When I tested I got a line so faint you could barely see it. Then I went out and bought almost every brand of PT's ;)

I would suggest getting Clearblue or EPT's digital tests. It said PREGNANT or NOT PREGNANT, and once you see PREGNANT come up, it makes it so much more real :)

ETA: I just saw that you have a hard time swallowing pills. VitaFusion makes a gummy (chewable) pre-natal!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

2 flinstones vitamins are ok (or generic brand is the same obvi), they have 400mcg of folic acid each, and you need 800mcg for pregnancy. a prescription folic acid pill has 1000mcg in it.  you only need the folic acid primarily for spinal cord development, which is completed by 12 weeks. so weeks 4-12 are the most important, then you can switch to a regular multivitamin (prenatal vitamins have more folic acid and sometimes more iron in them). you can also take GUMMY prenatals- now those are fun! but no iron, so switch to a regular one by the time your 3rd tri comes around.

congrats!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

rdg, folic acid prevents spina bifida.  That's not to say that your child WILL have it if you don't take it, but they are extremely unlikely to have it if you do.  That would be a devestating thing to hope you don't cause because you don't get the recommended amount of folic acid from DAY 1 of pregnancy any way you can.

The jury is NOT out on 300+ mg of caffeine per day being correlated to early m/c - it is.  Regarding less per day than that, the jury IS out, and one has to decide on an individual comfort basis based on the evidence that is out there.

I'm not part of the "safety police," nor am I trying to scare anyone.  Facts, however, are facts, and she asked what she should be doing.  Crossing her fingers and hoping for the best isn't something I'd recommend in favor of offering these factual suggestions of what she needs to do and know before consulting the doc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

They didn't have the gummies pre-natal when I was pregnant - how lucky women are today!

Kar - I wasn't recommending giving up ANY folic, I was recommending alternatives. My ob-gyn told me two Flinstones with folic (gotta read the label, there are different Flintstones for different needs) were just fine, along with spinach and Total cereal. And, they were. When I said "don't overdo it on the folic," I meant don't OD on it, which you can (by way of the harming the fetus). It's a balancing act if you're taking pre-natals; eating dark, lefy grains and like orange juice. Engineer-Kar, get thee to a close reading class.

The jury IS out on caffeine. I envied women in the years after my pregnancy who could drink coffee to their heart's content. I was glad that I could have my four cups a day (500 - 600 mg). I stopped dying my hair blonde the moment I learned I was pregnant, because the effect of the fumes on the fetus was still debateable. The ob-gyn told me it was up to me.

But I agree with you, consult your clinician first. But stop misinterpreting my posts to suit your agenda, whatever that is.

I wish Glitzy and her baby well. Pregnancy is magical (which I suppose Kar would say is not factual).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No study should dictate what anyone chooses to do regarding an increase in risk, but it should inform everyone of the increase (and how it was determined to be correlated) if there is one.  I believe the evidence of correlation is out there.  Therefore, anyone asking what they should do with the BFP, I'd say be aware that 300+ mg caffeine per day can be argued to increase m/c risk (not absolutely cause m/c in everyone who choose to drink more than that).

Mayo Clinic (page 2)

And, the CDC recommends 400 mcg of folic acid a day, not 800.  Individual doctors might recommend getting more than the CDC says to get; I have no idea why, though.

And, I think you might be the only one confused about my agenda, rdg; I'm probably about as transparent as anyone can be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Congrats on the BFP, Glitzy. I took the gummy prenatals for a spell when I couldn't stomach the giant prenatals I had been taking.

DH and I took our all-day childbirth class yesterday. I had thought I'd come away more scared, but we both feel so much better now. Not only do we feel more prepared for everything about to happen, but it framed everything in a way that made us so much more relaxed about the labor process. The class was at Winchester Hopsital - I'd highly recommend it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

For anyone who's a 2nd timer or more, or even anyone who has experience with this-  if you use a midwife vs a physician, what are your opinions?

After 2 appts with the OB's office (all dr's and NPs), I'm not loving it 100%. Then again, I don't know what to expect, so maybe I'm just being ridiculous? Everyone is nice and helpful, but I'm not comfortable with male Dr's (there are 3 out of 10 or so providers), and their policy is that you see each provider during your pregnancy, because at delivery, whichever Dr is at the hospital that day delivers your baby. I feel like with a midwife, I'd see the same person and know who would deliver the baby, plus they have a different approach to pregnancy...just torn and trying to decide this week what we should do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlitzyCity. Show GlitzyCity's posts

Thanks everyone for all the info! The Flintstones have 400mcg of folic acid (I've been taking them everyday for years) but I am going to switch to a chewable prenatal--thanks for the heads up about the Vitafusion brand, I am definitely going to try those. For the past couple days I've been eating a bowl of Total in the A.M. (100% folic acid), in addition to taking the Flintstone later, so hopefully that will be OK til I get the prenatal this week (ordering them 1-day shipping!!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: December Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]For anyone who's a 2nd timer or more, or even anyone who has experience with this-  if you use a midwife vs a physician, what are your opinions? After 2 appts with the OB's office (all dr's and NPs), I'm not loving it 100%. Then again, I don't know what to expect, so maybe I'm just being ridiculous? Everyone is nice and helpful, but I'm not comfortable with male Dr's (there are 3 out of 10 or so providers), and their policy is that you see each provider during your pregnancy, because at delivery, whichever Dr is at the hospital that day delivers your baby. I feel like with a midwife, I'd see the same person and know who would deliver the baby, plus they have a different approach to pregnancy...just torn and trying to decide this week what we should do.
    Posted by summerbride09[/QUOTE]
    I know it might be a difficult thing but I wouldn't get too focused on whether your doctor is male or female.  I think it's good they have you see everyone so you at least have met them in case they're the ones you get when you're in labor.  Honestly, there are a LOT of people down there, in and out of the room, etc, when you're in labor and most of the time later on you really aren't paying attention to anything but the contractions.  I think it sounds like you kind of want a midwife from what you have written.  Is there any reason why you are hesitant to try the midwife?  I really wanted to have a midwife but I couldn't because of my heart condition.  My cardiologist wouldn't sign off on it so the midwives wouldn't take me.  Ironically, my OB was on vacation in Aruba when I gave birth and there was a run on the labor/delivery rooms (like 7 women giving birth at once--something about St. Patrick's Day, I guess) so I ended up with a midwife in the end because that's what was available haha. 
    I feel like any advice I would give you would be skewed towards my personal feelings/beliefs.  I was really into natural, drug-free childbirth and really wanted a midwife.  Feeling comfortable is a big deal because it affects your attitude going in.  I think comfort level with the OB/MW is more important in terms of whether you find him/her easy to talk to and forthcoming with good answers to your questions. 
    If you are getting weird vibes from some of the doctors in the practice because of the way they deal with you in checkups, regardless of their sex, you should reconsider the practice. 
    I think if you're not aiming for a natural childbirth the questions change.  I imagine you'll need to find someone you trust who can advise you well with regards to interventions such as pitocin and epidurals. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Just want to echo Lissafro's comment not to get too worked up about a few of the doctors in the practice being male. My ob practice was all women and one male doctor. My labor ended up spanning the course of two shifts and the male doctor was the one who actually delivered my daughter. I am normally wary of having a male doc but for a delivery it was no big deal. I'd say 99% of the labor there were nurses there with me and the doc was only involved for a little bit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Summer- my MW practice had me see all the mw there so that I knew all of them, like your OB practice does.  Come to find out, a MW i had never met delivered DS because there are a lot of MW associated with Mt. Auburn hospital and I could have had any of them.  So just b/c you have a MW does not necessarily mean you will have "your" MW.  However, it may vary depending on hospital/practice. (I know not all places are like Mt.A)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Just to chime in on the OB/MW question.  Have you considered a doula?  This is a woman who is trained in childbirth and provides continuous support to you throughout your labor.  They are not "medical personnel", but she would be there for you throughout your labor and would be "your doula" ... the one you interviewed, liked, and contracted with.  The doula is in addition to your medical team (whether you go the route of OB or MW).

As for the male OB ... I was weirded out by the thought for a long time but recently switched to a male OB because he came highly recommended and I was looking for a new OB that was closer to home.  If their personality matches yours, the gender thing seems to be secondary.  So, maybe it is more of a personality issue?  If so, it is definitely worth considering a different practice.  Not sure where you live, but I believe the MWs of Mt. Auburn have a meet the midwives event held periodically where you could get a feel for the practice without having to commit to any appts. 

In the end... what happens on the day of your delivery is totally upto the whims of the baby gods ... I've had so many people tell me that it really doesn't matter who ends up being there ... the doctor is generally only in the room to catch the baby.  With a RN/OB team, it is your nurse who matters most, and there is no way to meet all of them or select one.  With a MW, she is more likely to be with you through out your labor, but again you will probably have whoever is on call that day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I see the midwives at my practice (and you rotate through all of them), but as a mom/baby nurse I have to say, in my experience it matters what kind of birth you have based on the following:
    -your baby/body, which you cannot change
    -the MD or midwife that is delivering you (which often changes halfway through your labor if you're there long enough!)
    -the nurse you have

However, midwives in general seem to (general rule) have more time and are friendlier at all the prenatal appts.  THey also have a hands-off approach for the most part, and support labor instead of trying to decide how to control or fix labor.  If you find a practice that has midwives AND OBs the OBs are often more hands-off as well.  The key is to find a PRACTICE that has ideals you like, and the way you find that is by asking around to people who have delivered their babies with them, and who have the hindsight or experience to figure out if they had a good birth or if their birth was "saved" by the doctors who mis-managed their labor in the first place.  Sometimes its hard to tell when you are a first time mom and you are exhausted in labor beyond belief.

For example, if you come in laboring with ctx every 5 min but the baby is high and you have had minimal cervical changes, should you get an epidural for the pain? Many OBs would offer you whatever you want, but common experience would tell you that that woman has now doubled her chances for a c/s.  (Us nurses' rule of thumb is that your baby should be low and engaged in the pelvis with contractions that cause cervical change- at least 1cm/hr).  So its ok to get an epi at 3cm if you are in active labor, but not ok if you are 5cm and although having hard and painful ctx are not in "active" labor.  Certain practices would really sway you away from epi at that time and would share that knowledge with you, and others would prefer to give you the epi, which often leads to augmenting labor later and then blah blah you know the rest!

The hospital you are at can make a difference too.  I personally prefer outlying hospitals from Boston because they focus more on maternity care rather than being the #1 hospital in the country for a specialty or surgery they might offer.   I mean, unless you have a high risk pregnancy who cares about that?  How's the parking? How's the lactation services? How's the amenities?  etc.

Hope that helps! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Summer, do you have a clear idea of the kind of birth you want? I ask because I went through doubts about the practice I chose, not because there's anything wrong with them -- they've been great -- but because I wasn't sure exactly how natural a birth I wanted. Heck, I'm still not sure! Have you talked to all the docs you've seen about their approach?

On my 2nd or 3rd appointment I asked my doctor about her/the practice's basic approach to interventions and she told me there's a range of approaches in the practice, and she falls on the "don't intervene unless absolutely necessary" end. I felt very comfortable with that, and have loved everything else about the practice. But as everyone else has said, there's no guarantee the person you're comfortable with will be the one doing the delivery. I did call around to some mw offices but couldn't find any that both delivered at my hospital and were convenient for appointments, so I'm sticking with the OB. I tend to take a more "It will all work out" approach to most stuff, though, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I second what Bostongrl and hughkona said, though I think it is important for your MW/OB to have similar philosophies when dealing with child bearing - the hospital and nurses will really make or break your experience.  It is important to have your doctor behind you but during my first I saw 4 different docs and a midwife during my induction/labor (granted I took 3 days to induce).  On the other hand it was the nurses that supported or didn't support my labor and wishes.  One nurse was offering me drugs from the get-go and kept offering them to me, she annoyed the bejesus out of me.  I had another two day nurses that were super supportive and would jail break me from my bedrest so I could walk, shower and stretch and did not push drugs.  I wished they had delivered my baby 'cause lets face it the midwives and doctors are in and out though midwives do spend a bit more time in the room if available.  My delivery nurse was awesome but she came in at the gruesome end and I did not know her as well.  But she was not a nazi commander come pushing she went with what I told her my body was saying.  So though the ob/midwife is important for the prenatal and post natal care - the actual delivery will not be that influenced by them.
    If you really want someone there fighting for you go the Doula route.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, it's REALLY important to make sure your partner is on board with your wishes and has had some practice/preparation with what he might have to do.  I had lovely nurses at the beginning then after the shift change I had one obnoxious nurse offering drugs even though it was in my birth plan that I would not be using them.  My husband took her aside and explained that she would NOT be offering drugs any more.  It's important to talk a lot about things ahead of time. 
    I found the labor/delivery class we took to be extremely helpful in this regard.  It really got us thinking concretely about things we had to talk about, not just planning to think about it in the future. 

I don't know much about what a labor with an epidural is like, but I really don't remember too much/didn't care at all what was going on around me at the end.  I was just focusing on contractions and breathing and a little bit on my husband's voice. 
    Everything people have said about the midwife/OB coming in to catch the baby is true.  It's the nurses/interns that matter.  I had a LOT of residents/interns in the room because my case was an exciting one on paper and there were lots of people who wanted to observe and look at my heart monitors, etc. to get credit or write it up or discuss it at rounds, whatever they do.  I had a lot of random people in and out and I only remember the faces of the obnoxious nurse who annoyed me and the nurse I really liked from early on in the evening.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Here I was thinking I'd be posting my birth story from the hospital bed...I had no idea how exhausting it would be having and then taking care of a newborn.  Internet time?  ha!

Our little peanut arrived at 5:35 pm on Wednesday night via unscheduled c-section.  She was 7 pounds, 2 oz and 19.2 inches long with a head of dark hair (from my husband - I am a redhead).  She has steel-blue eyes, but we are waiting to see if they change over time. 

I was admitted to the hosital after 9 on Tuesday night.  We waited a while for them to get me settled, and I was finally given cervadil around midnight and fell asleep.  After a few hours, I was still not dilated/softened, so I got another dose and went back to bed.  Around 7am, the contrations started.  I thougThey checked me again around 9 and I was 1 cm dilated and really starting to feel labor contractions.  I didn't want to get the epi yet, but the pain was too much for me, so I got some nubain to help dull the pain a bit, since it was still early in labor.  But soon, I was 5cm dilated, and then by noon, the pain was so bad I got the epidural (which I had planned on).  My labor progressed naturally after the cervadil, so I didn't need any pitocin or other drugs other than pain meds. 

By 1pm, I was fully dilated and began pushing.  I pushed for almost 3 hours, but the baby had other plans.  She was "sunny-side-up" and would not turn.  She was stuck high up in the birth canal and never descended enough for them to manually help get her going.  At that point, they recommended a C section because my blood pressure was really high, and the baby's heartbeat was showing signs of distress with each contraction.  It's not what I wanted, but DH and I agreed it had to be done.  They started prepping me for surgery and she was out at 5:35.  The worst part was not being able to see her for almost 30 minutes after birth.  DH got to see her after only about 1.5 minutes.  He got to trim the cord and hold her.  Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, they let him carry her over to me.  We got to hang out together as a family while they stitched me back up, then DH had to go back to the room and they brought me and DD in a few minutes later.

Unfortunately, I got to experience both labor pains and surgery pains, and the aftereffects of both.  Though, since she never really descended, the vaginal pain was pretty minor.  But the surgery recovery was much more difficult!  (And still is).  It was so hard to get out of bed, and even now that we are home, getting up for feedings and changings is difficult and I am sore.  I know it's expected, but it makes caring for LO so much harder. We've also had some issues with latching and feeding, so that has been a struggle.  She does eat, but it takes her a good 15-20 minutes to figure it out and latch on.  It just creates a frustrating environment for all of us. I have been pumping too, but I don't want to introduce a different nipple into the mix.  I've had one serious meltdown and a couple of bouts of crying for no reason.  But through it all, we are ecstatic that she is here, and is our little angel. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Jenn, congrats on welcoming your LO, and thanks for sharing your story. I hope your start to feel better soon and your DD takes to feeding with more ease. Take good care of yourself!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jenn, congratulations!  What a story, thanks for sharing it.  I'm sorry you're dealing with post-surgical pain, and I hope it gets a lot better every day.  You are further along than some with the bf'ing even if it is frustrating to have it take awhile before it gets going every time.  I'm sure it will get easier as she continues to get the hang of it.  Post when you can with how you're feeling and everything.  Regarding crying - exhaustion, hormones, and intense feelings for your new LO isn't exactly "no reason," lol. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congratulations Jenn!!  Sorry things didn't go "according to plans", but so glad you have your beautiful little girl.  Did you know it was a girl?

I had a lot of trouble BFing in the beginning, as did others around here.  If we can be of any help, please feel free to reach out!!  I know how hard it is to even get on the internet at this time, but I got some great advice on here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Congrats Jenn!  She sounds absolutely beautiful ... take your time getting lost in her eyes :o)

That must have been so tough to not be able to see/hold her for what probably seemed like the longest 30minutes of your life ... but hopefully you're getting lots of snuggle time now.  What was the reason for the delay?  Were they checking her out or did it have to do with finishing the surgery?

We just covered c-sec policy at our hospital in our last class and I was kind of disappointed to hear that they only let dad hold baby until mom's surgery is completely finished (upto an hour)... but I guess it is what it is.  I'd heard of the possibility of laying baby on mom's chest even as the surgery is completed, but that will be a no-go at our hospital if we find ourselves in that situation.