December Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Re: December Pregnancy

Comgrats Poppy! Hopefully DH took the news well tonight!.  Let us know how he reacted.

tc, yes, that sounds like BH.  I didn't know i had BH until I went in to have them monitor me and thebaby for my high BP at 38 weeks and they showed up on the monitor, clear as day. I just thought they were baby movements. 

Thanks everyone.  DD is settling into nursing and I am BFing now!  Why else would I be up posting at 4:30 am? haha  Though typing one-handed and at an angle is not easy.  Much easier to catch up on others' posts than write my own. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tc, that's exactly how I've heard BH described, and you're at the right time in your pg to experience them.  

jenn, that's great she's got the hang of it - it sounds like you're off to a great start!  How are you feeling re c-section recovery?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kar, I am going to TJ's after work, thanks for the suggestion. Is it just their brand of CJ?

Liz, I missed your question in Nov's thread, sorry.  I've found pure cranberry juice (not the juice cocktail that is hardly more than red sugar water) in expensive places like Whole Foods for a WHOLE lot more than what they sell it for at TJs.  So, while others are out there, I highly recommend TJ's brand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

TC... like others have said, that sounds like BHs.   started noticing them around 30 weeks.  First time I had gotten myself a bit dehydrated while out bike riding and so between not having had enough to drink and the physical activity they were pretty "regular" for an hour so it was very obvious to me what they were.  Since then I've noticed 2-3 per day.  Not painful, but slightly uncomfortable.  My whole belly tightens up and there is sometimes a pulling sensation.  That is when I can most clearly feel how big my uterus is, because the rest of the time everything just feel squishy.  The most noticable thing is how hard my belly feels from the outside ... it is essentially the entire muscular wall clenching even though your not consciously doing anything. 

Jenn... good to hear you are doing better!  hope your surgery pain is subsiding as well. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Poppy - Congratulations!  I am so happy for you!

TC - I started to get BH around 24 weeks last time and essentially had them constantly even with minimal exertion.  They feel exactly how you describe them.   I am so excited that you are almost due!!

AFM - I am 17 1/2 weeks and find out the sex this week.  I CANNOT wait!  The little guy is moving around so that always makes me feel better about things!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

OK, I must admit I've checked the boards at least 3 times this morning hoping to see if all went well with the big news this weekend at Poppy's house. Hope all went well.

LIL, I'm sure it's just me but it feels like your pregnancy is going by so much faster this time around! Can't wait to hear the news!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Ml, I could write the same exact post :-)  Waiting for Poppy and just read the previous post and said "17 1/2 weeks already for LIL!!"

:-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Me, too.  Waiting to hear from Poppy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: December Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]DD is settling into nursing and I am BFing now!  Why else would I be up posting at 4:30 am? haha  Though typing one-handed and at an angle is not easy.  Much easier to catch up on others' posts than write my own. 
    Posted by jennifyr78[/QUOTE]

I don't think I ever "liked" so many things on Facebook until I was BFIng and couldn't type :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Add me to the list of people waiting to hear about Mr Poppy's reaction to the big news... :)

Thanks everyone for the info on BH. From what I'd read, I thought they'd be very noticeable and distinct but I'm sure that's what I've been feeling. Definite tugging sensation and all. 

I'm so excited for you LIL, hope you are having a nice uneventful pregnancy. I'll always be grateful for your help as I was struggling with the donor egg decision. I couldn't be happier that we decided to go this route!

Another day, another question... has anyone had a baby turn head down fairly late? I learned today that my little angel is still breech and I thought that was pretty normal but the dr said most go head down closer to 32 weeks (I'm 34.5) and if it doesn't by 35.5, it's unlikely he/she will and we'll start talking about a c-section. I'm still cautiously optimistic that the baby will turn but wondered if others had this issue.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

tc95 - if your baby is still breech next week, ask about external versioning - the doc uses their hands outside your belly to try and flip the baby - they also use ultrasound and fetal monitoring to make sure it doesn't cause too much fetal distress. 

My DD was breech at 35ish weeks too, it is one of the things that annoyed me about my OB, she never even mentioned it, but when I got really upset at the idea of a C-section and asked if there was anything else, she reluctantly (too me it seemed) offered the versioning.

I'll be blunt, it can be somewhat painfull, and for first time moms it only works about 1/3 the time (partially due to attempts to turn that cause too much distress, partially due to babies that get turned then turn back on their own), but I had taken a hypnobirthing class, and was planning on (and had) a drug-free delivery, so I used many of the hypnobirthing techniques during the versioning, to relax and it did get DD into the proper position, so I avoided a C-section. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

tc--this past summer my DS#2 was breech until almost 35 weeks on the dot. I had a placental abruption at 34.3 weeks and had to spend a week in the hospital on bedrest. Because of the abruption, I had daily ultrasounds. One day he was breech, the next he was sideways, the next he was head down but feet first, etc. BUT, by the day I was discharged at 35.2 weeks he was head down and stayed that way. So, don't give up hope yet. There's still a little time and a little room to move!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Congrats Poppy!!  It has been so long since I have even been online (just seems like there is no time) but I can't wait to hear how it went either!

LIL that is so exciting.  I'm super close with you.  I'm 18 weeks but my U/S where we find out about the sex of the baby isn't until just after 20 weeks when we have our next appt.  I want to know so bad but at the same time don't mind waiting as it may be the last U/S til we meet this little one!

I feel like this pregnancy is going by so much faster.  Being so busy with work and DS there just isn't the same time to focus on it.  I only keep up to date on whats going on because a pregnancy app on my phone!!

So exciting all the new pregnancies and Jenn congrats on your new LO!

Also, glad to hear those of you that are feeling better and approaching the second trimester!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: December Pregnancy : I don't think I ever "liked" so many things on Facebook until I was BFIng and couldn't type :o)
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

I know EXACTLY what you mean! 

Congrats to those finding out the sex soon!  I keep checking on Poppy too! :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

tc - have you looked at the site http://spinningbabies.com/? Our childbirth instructor recommended it for people whose babies weren't head down yet.

DH and I took a newborn care class last night. I think it was probably good we did, but now DH is freaking out about childproofing the house. I'm glad he's thinking about it, but since I'm not due til the end of January, I think it's a little early to worry about putting up baby gates!

This past weekend was my shower. It was so much fun! And we got a nice mix of practical and adorable stuff. There is still a bunch of stuff we'll have to pick up before the baby arrives, but I think we'll wait til after the holidays and see if we get a few more items before we go complete our registry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ha - you are all too funny!  I can't thank you enough for the support.  I was off yesterday (finishing shopping) so wasn't online all day.

There was about a full minute of silence, which DH explained to be afterward was his total confusion as his brain worked furiously to understand how the test from 2 years ago could still say "pregnant".  Then he reacted quite like I did, happy but a bit freaked out.  But since that night, he keeps rubbing my belly and giggling, so I think he's ok with it!  Phew!  It's actually probably good that we're living with my in-laws; all the extra help will come in handy if I'm not feeling well over the next couple of months.  We're trying to decide when to tell the family.  My opinion is it will be hard to hide it if I am sick or exhausted (DH seems to have NO recollection that I had to nap from about 5-6pm every night last time around).  So we'll see. 

Pitt - glad you enjoyed your shower!

LIL and LLLE - excited for you about your upcoming big reveal!!  We are definitely finding out the gender this time around (didn't last time) and I'm already chomping at the bit!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Poppy, so glad it went well. You were on my mind yesterday, I admit I was a little nervous as to why we didn't hear from you!

With my DD, my mother in law was living with us so she knew about 10 minutes after we did, we told my parents and sisters the next day because it was Christmas and we were all together and it seemed right. I think if you are sharing a house, you should tell them soon, I am sure they will enjoy being part of the whole experience and I agree, it will be so helpful to have the extra help when you are out cold at 6PM or so sick you can't deal with baby Z. for the moment.

I have to admit, over the weekend DH and I had an in-home date night involving too much wine and a teary conversation about how we both on the one hand would love another baby, and on the other hand there are a number of serious, significant reasons not too. The conversation needed to happen. Your unexpected news was a catalyst, and one I am very grateful for!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

tc- thats interesting to hear when babies turn (for the most part)... I am 28 weeks and I can't find any info on when MOST babies flip. I know they are almost all (about 5-7%) vertex by birth.  Apparantly its the natural shape of the uterus and the natural movements that healthy, term babies make that get them all to turn later on in utero.

From a nursing standpoint, you should DEF ask about a version if you're interested.  If you ultimately have to go that way, it helps to ask who at your practice has the most success.  Its an acquired skill, and some OBs or midwives have much better skill than others.  It sounds like your OB may not be so confident, but that shouldn't mean you have to have surgery!  There is also a ton of new research that shows that doing a version EARLIER in pregnancy (like 35 weeks) is more successful then doing it in late pregnancy, which is typical because the baby is smaller and there is more fluid BUT you don't know which of those 35 weekers will have naturally turned by the traditional 38 weeks they do versions.  You can look up more info as the time gets closer (or right now if you're anything like me!!)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML - I'm glad you and DH had the conversation, though I'm sorry if it was sad, in part. :(  I hope you're able to come to a decision you both are ok with, in the long run.

I think you're probably right about the in-laws.  Maybe we'll do an xmas announcement.  If not then, definitely a new-years announcement.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Poppy - Glad the big revelation went well!

Has anyone on here bought a used breast pump? My SIL found a Medela for a really good price on craigslist. On the surface, the idea feels kind of sketchy but I don't have a good reason why, and I'd love to take a big-ticket item off my registry :-). Thoughts?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

[QUOTE]Has anyone on here bought a used breast pump? My SIL found a Medela for a really good price on craigslist. On the surface, the idea feels kind of sketchy but I don't have a good reason why, and I'd love to take a big-ticket item off my registry :-). Thoughts?
    Posted by Arcain[/QUOTE]

I think you can buy new hoses and parts so really the only used item would be the motorized pump, right?  I think that seems pretty practical!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Arcain, my SIL gave me her pump and I kept it at home and took my new pump to my office when I went back to work. I loved having two pumps and not having to haul it back and forth and I could not have done it buying new. I never had a problem with a used pump and did not even bother buying new tubes and parts.

I have BCBS and got a free pump from the LC at the hospital (it arrived the day I got home from the hospital), the second one came from my SIL. Personally, I'd say get a used pump for small dollars, hope you can get a free one at the hospital and enjoy the benefits of both.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - I also used a "used" pump, although it was lent to me by a friend.  I think it's a great idea, especially because you will buy all the parts that actually touch you or the milk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Thanks ladies for the thoughts on when baby might flip.  Amy-lynn, my dr was definitely more forthcoming than yours- she did mention versioning (or is it just version?) to me and said they could try that but it has less chance of working as it's a first baby. Was yours the first? I asked about acupuncture and she said that might be worth trying as well. The version thing scares me- I've heard it's painful, might not work, and could cause the baby some distress. Hugh- the dr told me they don't try version until 37 weeks in case the baby goes into distress and they need to operate. I hadn't seen much info on when the baby goes head down either so it didn't occur to me that it was getting late until the dr mentioned it yesterday. Pitt, I'll check out that site, I'm willing to try non-invasive type options but otherwise I'll just keep hoping he/she decides to cooperate- with DH's genes, I'm sure the baby is a natural procrastinator....

Yay Poppy for the good reaction from hubby!

Some insurance companies pay for breast pumps but I'm not sure if that's always the case or if it's only in certain situations. I'm sort of counting on that though and haven't purchased one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

We got a prescription for a breast pump due to my latch issues (though they didn't tell me that I would get one until the day before we were discharged, and we couldn't get in touch with the insurance company to determine what was covered, since it was the weekend).  We ended up purchasing a pump through Isis since they deal with the insurance side themselves.  It ended up costing us about $90 for a copay, but that is so much better than $300-ish.  We have BCBS too.