December Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Re: December Pregnancy

Early in pg I really like these from Old Navy too:
    http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5850&vid=1&pid=841216

But once my belly got a little bigger they didn't stay up very well (they have belt loops, I guess I could have tried those to help).  What I liked about them was that I was able to wear my regular tops a bit longer.  Even if the waistband was showing (which it will inevitably) ... because it is the same denim material no one realized they were maternity jeans.  This was super handy for the few weeks between when my regular jeans weren't comfortable and I told everyone at work. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

In Response to Re: December Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]I had both above and below the belly panel pants in my first pregnancy, and was grateful for the full-panel after my c-section. Not that you should worry about that, but if you happen to know you'll need one or suspect you will need one, that type of pant will come in handy.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

I will echo Poppy.  Post c-sec, I am much happier in full-panel pants or reaaly soft sweats/yoga pants.  My maternity jeans were all below-belly, so I haven't worn jeans in 2+ weeks.  Granted, I am mostly at home in pj's nursing DD, but when I have gone out, the jeans aren't even a consideration.  I would rather wear my full-panel black slacks I wore to work for most of my pg, or go out in sweat pants (whch I would NEVER do previously) than wear my jeans right now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

For ladies who have done this before - how much newborn-sized clothing do you recommend? People were telling me not to stock up on the itsy bitsy stuff since they grow out of it so fast, but last night I went through all the clothes we received, and we only have ONE 0-3 month size outfit. That surely isn't going to cut it, but I don't want to go overboard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Wait to buy stuff.  Some babies don't fit in newborn outfits when they're born, while others fit in newborn outfits for a few weeks.  Keep tags on and try to keep track of things.  Hopefully you have a MIL who is a return queen.  That woman can return anything to any store and get money back.  I wouldn't stock up on 0-3month stuff.  You will get a LOT of stuff when the baby is born.  The only thing you really need are onesies.  You can never really have too many of those plain white onesies, especially if you are going to have a winter baby.  It's nice to have the extra layers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Yeah - for winter babies get some 0-3 long sleeve onesies and footie pajamas.  Sometimes they can go through 3 or 4 a day if they spit up so I'd get at least 8-10 onesies and 4-5 pj's. But don't over buy in that tiny size. Most people have 8 lb. babies and they grow out of it fast.
    I had twins and they were 6lbs. each so they were able to stay "true to size" for quite a while.
    And - yes - if you don't open everything and wash it, you can return it if you need bigger sizes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Pitt, we only had one or two newborn outfits, and a lot of 0-3 that were gifts.  But, since DD was little (born at 7lb 2 oz, but down to 6lb 8 oz when leaving the hospital, all she fit were newborn.  I had to go out and buy a pack of 4 nb long sleeve onesies and a pack of 2 pants.  I also bought a fleecy blanket sleeper. 

She is now back up to 7 lb 13 oz (or so) and is just ow starting to get too long for the newborn sleep and plays, but only because she has long legs.  The onesies still fit.  But, it is nice to have more than 3 or 4 outfits in the rotation for 3 weeks.  You get kind of sick of seeing the same thing, and it's hard to keep up with the laundry.

But, I agree, don't take too many nb tags off - if your LO is larger, they may not fit at all. 

Also, we have found that 0-3 is the same size as Carter's 3-month clothes.  They are meant for babies UP TO 3 months, which is really something like 8-14 pounds.  If your baby is less than 8 pounds, they will all be giant on him/her.  Also, Target brand newborn (Circo) seems to run the same as Carter's 3 months, maybe a tiny bit smaller, so those have also been too big until now.  But, they do grow fast - we are now fitting into the Circo NB and the 0-3 sleep and plays, though they are still big around her shoulders.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Gerber brand runs smaller than everything else.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Ok, so with one 6.14 winter baby and one 7.10 winter baby, I am someone who does recommend that you buy some NB and 0-3m.  I would go to Target or TJMaxx and buy some of those one-piece fuzzy warm footie things in both sizes.  You will go through several a day for awhile.  DD had reflux and DS did the little boy spray/pee thing while I would change him, so LOTS of changes were needed for both.  With both my kids, 0-3 seemed to swim on them until 5 weeks or so.  So, while it only seems like 1 month, if you are going through 3 a day, you do need NB size... I would say 6-8?.  Even my friend who had two 9lb winter babies had to go out and buy more NB stuff b/c she felt like they were cold with the 0-3 stuff gaping and being too big and too long.  I would also pick up a few of 0-3, but that size you may get a lot of as gifts when baby is born and you can reassess.  You can always keep tags on and return what you end up not needing. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

My baby was 7_12 and she was out of newborn sizes within a few WEEKS! also out of newborn DIAPERS for that matter. Size 1's will fit most newborns, but its better to do a newborn size for the first 2-4 weeks (around 6-8 diapers a day).  However, as someone who had NO newborn sized clothing, I was really scrambling right off the bat because its not cool to put a baby in a onesie that is literally just draping off their shoulders and crotch by inches and inches!  So, this time 'round I have 4 fleece sleepers, 15 long sleeved onesies, but no pants (all those are 0-3 mo... which I'm worried about).  Also have 4 halo sleep sacks (make sure you have at least one that is a SMALL), and plenty of swaddle blankets.  Oh yea, also lots of socks that will fit a 1.5-2" long foot!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

pitt... try going to consignment shops for your nb and 0-3 mth stuff.  Because babies wear them for such a short period of time, the stuff in the consignment shops looks brand new.  I love kid to kid in Natick and any of the Children's Orchard shops.  It was a little tough to find onesies, so would be worth picking up a few packages of those new, but the one piece sleepers run $3-$6 in the consignment shops.  I picked up ~5 nb and ~8 0-3mth since they didn't cost much.  If our LO grows out of them quickly... won't be a big deal. I would also figure you'll get a lot of 0-3 as gifts once your LO is born.  I know people are hesitant to buy nb stuff, so they usually default to the 0-3 or 3-6 sizes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

As someone from a family where the smallest baby out of the 7 cousins was one of my twins at 8.2, I'd buy some things but wait on washing them until after the baby is born.  DD1 was 10.13 and was out of 0-3 in under 2 weeks and NEVER fit into newborn stuff.  Actually all of my kids were too big at birth for the newborn size.  I'll also second the statement that kids grow out of diapers quickly too so I try to avoid going over board with back up supplies even at this stage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Just got back from my 36wk appt ... 1cm and "soft" ... woohoo!  Though it really doesn't mean anything as far as predicting when our LO will arrive, it is reassuring to know my body is doing what it is suppose to.  That and her head is right up against my cervix, so that is ideal for positioning and for encouraging dialation. 

I guess we better finish getting her room ready :o) Just need to pick up the cradle that we are borrowing, probably a new matress for it, and finish staining the dresser so that I can put all of her clothes away. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Thanks for all the advice on nb clothing. My mom actually dropped by with a pile of newborn and 0-3 month stuff from a friend who's baby has outgrown it, so I think I might be set now! Might need a few more fleecy sleep n plays, but I'm thinking I'll wait til after Christmas and see if Santa brings any ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations, Boston.  How exciting that you should have your LO in just a few short weeks!

Who else is up? TC, Arcain and Pitt are all in the homestretch right? Anyone that I'm missing?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Boston - sounds like everything is in position and ready to go!  Exciting!

Pitt - the hand-me-downs and consignment are good suggestions for NB clothes, but one other suggestion is when the baby is born have a friend or family member pick up and wash some outfits that will fit DD/DS according to birth weight.  We had some stuff, but I also asked my mom to pick up (and wash, because I didn't want to be doing laundry the second I got home) a few more things once we knew how big she was.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

clc, when is your due date? Poppy, have you visited the doctor yet??

I saw the heartbeat again on Friday, and it is amazing how in 2 weeks how much things change. The baby looks like a little tiny tadpole now, with the curve and you can make out a tiny little head.

I also talked to my OB about my sadness/depression and she made me appointment with their therapist for this upcoming Friday. I am feeling better, though.

Also, silly question, but does Sprite have caffeine?? I have a major craving for some right now! I am kind of sick of giner ale, and need a break from water from time to time.

Another thing I have been craving lately: DD's honey glazed donuts, and Chipotle's bean, cheese and rice borritos. SO healthy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sprite doesn't have caffeine. :)  Congrats on another cool u/s, and I'm glad you got your appointment.  It's good you're feeling better, but don't be surprised or disappointed if that changes day to day.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

My due date is June 7th, 2012.

We have our last scheduled US on Jan 5th and I'm both excited and sad for that day.  I know that chances are we will end up getting another peak at the bean at some point during the rest of the pregnancy but it's still a little sad.

Also, I had a major melt down at 3am this morning regarding when we are going to do the birthing class. DH is a school teacher but also coaches in the winter and spring so it will make it harder for us to do the birthing class. At Cape Cod Hospital it's 4 sessions (1 a week, Tuesday or Wednesday nights) prior to the birth which is great but I know he won't be able to make all of them between basketball games and baseball games and I got really freaked out last night.  Luckily after about 40 minutes I was able to calm down and figure I can just have my mom come along for the classes he can't make considering I plan on having both of them in the delivery room.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Great news Boston!  And, Liz, I'm glad your appointment went well and you are set up to see the therapist. 

DH and I went to BRU this weekend to look at/measure some furniture so we can start planning where all the baby stuff is going to go.  That store seriously overwhelms me.  There is just so much stuff!  It deinfitely helped though and when I was wide awake at 4 this morning for particular reason, I starting rearranging the house in my head.  DH has no idea he just created a monster.

Other than that I am waiting for a call back from the OB to schedule ERA, and am starting to think about maybe being an exclusive pumper.  I plan to try BFing, but I definitley want the LO to take a bottle from pretty early on (totally selfish - but I want to have help with feedings).  Anyone done it?  How exactly does it work?  I assume I have to build up a little stash pretty early on to keep up?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

CLC - That's exciting about your last ultrasound, and you are right, chances are that you will get another one at some point during your pregnancy.  I actually didn't with my first - my 18 week ultrasound was the last one I got and I was dying for another one but it never happened.  I've heard though that the 18 week one is the "best" in terms of having a great view of the baby and as the baby gets bigger it's harder to see a complete image of the baby's body during the ultrasound because you are really only able to focus in on one image at a time. So enjoy it and make sure they print out plenty of pics for you!  As for the birthing class, try not to stress out.  My DH and I did an intensive one day birthing class and it was helpful but, honestly, unless you are super proactive and plan to draw up a unique birthing plan that significantly differs from what the nurses/midwifes/doctors advise you to do, then it really won't matter whether your mom or your DH is there with you.  As long as you are there and listening and able to go home and tell your DH what happened, it will be fine.  His role is really support and I'm sure he's great at that already!

Nov - I'm sure there are ladies on here who EP who can tell you more about it.  I didn't EP but I did breastfeed my daughter for a year. I went back to work part time when she was 4 months old and she would drink bottles of breastmilk on those days.  I will say that i HATED pumping, and only did it when I needed to do it so the thought of exclusively pumping sounds tough to me. But I was lucky in that my daughter took a bottle no problem so when I needed to go out, I'd just plan ahead and make sure I had enough of a stash in the refrigerator that she could have a bottle.  The only thing with pumping is that it's really important to pump every few hours, or every time your daughter eats, in order to keep your supply up.  So the tricky part with exclusively pumping, I would think, is that even if pumping provided an outlet for you to go out and have someone else do the feedings, you'd still have to either bring your pump out and pump while you were out (I did it in my car a bunch of times) or be home every three hours to pump regardless if someone was watching the baby.  Same with the middle of the night shifts, which would then possibly mean you were awake for double the amount of time (because you'd have to feed your baby via the bottle of pre-pumped bmilk, and then pump so to ensure your supply was kept up).   I'm sure someone who has done this would be able to shed more light...

AFM, I'm 6 weeks pg with our second!  I haven't announced to anyone yet except DH and I'm still very nervous about the possibility of a miscarriage and I haven't let myself think too much about the pregnancy thus far.  I have an appointment with my doctor at 8 weeks, and I am hoping to get a dating ultrasound sometime that week too. Once I see a little heartbeat I'll feel much better!!  If all goes well, our due date is August 11, 2011.  My DD will be about 2.5.  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Thanks Rama, and congrats on #2.  Obviously i hever never pumped before, so I have no idea what I might be setting myself up for.  I blame the 4am rambling mind of a first time mom-to-be.  But I am conisdering all options, so any EPs out there - please chime in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Rama.  We are going to be a very busy board this summer!

Boston - have you looked at the Baby Bargains book yet? We borrowed it from the library a little while back but I need to get it again once we start putting our registry together. Maybe if you can have a small list of what you want to see before you go back to BRU it will be less overwhelming. 

Also, definitely not practical for most but anyone that's close to the Cape should check out the BRU in Hyannis.  It's significantly smaller than most BRU stores (I'm thinking Braintree) so the selection is limited.  It's probably not perfect for looking for something specific but for "window shopping" it's great because you only see a few items of everything, less choices to overwhelm you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

In Response to Re: December Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE] I plan to try BFing, but I definitley want the LO to take a bottle from pretty early on (totally selfish - but I want to have help with feedings).  Anyone done it?  How exactly does it work?  I assume I have to build up a little stash pretty early on to keep up?
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

Novem, I been in both places--an EP'er and now an EBF'er. I EP for DS#1 from the time he was 5 days old until he turned 1. He had a tongue-tie and couldn't hold a latch. Once we got his frenulum clipped at almost 4 weeks, he never went back to the b*ob, so EPing was it for as long I wanted him to have bm. So, it's totally possible to EP. That said, it was often a pain and I swore that if BF'ing didn't work out with DS#2 that I wouldn't EP again. Rama is correct that it can be twice the work, especially at the beginning. You basically have to pump to match every feeding for the baby while you are establishing your supply. So, even though DH took an overnight feeding with DS#1, I still had to get up and pump (I didn't have to do the diaper change and soothing back to sleep with that feed, though.) Keep in mind that newborns eat every 2-3 hours and a pumping session takes 10-20 minutes. Plus, you spend a bunch of time washing parts, etc. to be ready for the next feed. So, if you bottle feed, then pump, then clean the equipment, there's not that much down time for you to nap, shower, etc.  I was always stressed out by how much I was pumping, even though my supply was great. It is SO different just BF'ing this time around. I'm not even one of those people that absolutely love BF'ing--I do it mostly beacuse for the health benefits for DS. But, it's just so nice not to have to worry about washing bottles, how long the milk has been out, or packing bottles when we run errands. And, those overnight feedings are much easier when you can just pick up LO and feed without having to grab a bottle or warm it up. Plus (and this could just be DS#2's personality), but he falls back asleep much more quickly at the b*ob than DS#1 ever did with a bottle.

Not to be a debbie downer (beacuse it is absolutely possible to EP), but a pump is not as efficient as a baby. So, when I EP'ed I struggled for a few months with clogged ducts which are really painful. It's just another thing to keep in mind about EP'ing.

If you do EP, you must have a good double electric pump. My insurance covered 10 months of a hospital-grade pump because of DS#1's tongue-tie. That was a life-saver. But, it was big and bulky, so not work-friendly. I had a Medela Freestyle that I'd take to work that worked quite well.

One last piece of advice, whatever you choose doesn't have to be all or nothing. Try BF'ing. See how it goes. If it feels too limiting, replace a session or two with a pump and see how that goes. If you want/need to supplement at anytime with formula, that's OK, too. I know of at least two friends who would BF during the day and give a bottle of formula before bed (once their supplies were established).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I will agree with everything that kiwi said about EP.  I had to do it because DD was a premie and was too little to b-feed.  I tried doing both and it was a disaster.  I was up all night trying to b-feed and she couldn't get the hang of it, so I would have to pump afterwards anyway.  When she was about 5 weeks old I threw in the towel and just EP'd.  It was incredibly hard - more difficult than I ever expected.  It was a very "clinical" experience and it was pretty stressful.  I also suffered from clogged ducts and got an infection once.  And I had a hospital grade pump and then switched to a portable when I went back to work.  The constant washing of the pump parts was also a real drag.  If you do it, I would suggest at least 2 sets, maybe 3 just so you don't have to wash them in the middle of the night.  I managed to do it for 6 months and DD was fed with my milk until she was 7 months old thanks to the frozen stash I had built up.  It took every ounce of my willpower to make it to 6 months.  Obviously, everyone has different experiences, just keep all that in mind if you are thinking of EP-ing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Liz - no doctor yet, anxiously awaiting.  And I thought your post said, "bean, cheese and rice DORITOS" and got really excited!

Novem - The first time I went into BRU when I was pg I cried.  It was just too much.  It took me a long time to be able to go in there without having a panic attack.  Always good to have someone with you.  You and CLC should have called each other at 4am to chat!

I think Kiwi summed up the info on EPing really well.

I just learned something about prenatal vitamins.  It could be that you all know this and I just missed it previously, but just in case... You get more packed into a prenatal (for example, 975 vs 800 mcg of folic acid) if you take a separate DHA supplement, instead of buying 1 pill that is vitamin + DHA in one.  The pharmacist explained that they have to put less into the vitamin if there is also DHA in there in order to get a stable capsule. 

Sections
Shortcuts