December Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: December Pregnancy

Thanks, all. I'm feeling better now -- it was a wave just like yesterday, and I'm definitely keeping hydrated. Kiwi and Rama, it sounds like what you're talking about. I'll ask my doc tomorrow anyway...

Congrats, Rama! Good luck with your u/s.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

can I ask about thyroid stuff? i became hypo after my last pregnancy... but am completely paranoid about having low levels as there are a lot of possible side effects. How often did people get tested, when did they up their medications, etc?  I just had my levels done and they were normal, but my PCP is increasing my dose anyway just to be sure.  trying not to panic...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

winter, forgive me for questioning your doctor, but taking thyroid medicine, while sometimes it is necessary, actually decreases your thyroid's ability to produce its hormones even more.  If I were you, I'd definitely not take thyroid medicine as a precaution after my levels came back normal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Winter - you are pregs again, right? Stay on your meds until you talk to your doctor, especially if you are pregnant.

I was the one who finally got pregnant the second I started the thyroid meds (and probably attribute them to my horrible morning sickness). I tested after delivery, and when I finished nursing, and will test twice a year going forward.

I have my pre-conception doctor's appointment on the 9th. Provided they think I can sustain a healthy pregnancy based on my cardio health (I had eclampsia post-delivery), they will test again pre-conception and post-conception.

I think it was mainly due to my fertility issues, but I somehow convinced myself I would miscarry if I didn't take my thyroid meds consistently - so it still makes me nervous to think of you not taking them. Sorry to make you worry!

HTH!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't say don't take them, although, I wouldn't. I hope she'll talk to her doctor asap before taking thyroid medicine her bloodwork indicates she doesn't need (yet).  It damages the thyroid, and that can cause problems forever.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

sorry Kar that I wasn't clear- I have been on the meds since having my son. I became severely hypothyroid after having him (and thought the fatigue and everything was just having a baby!) They hoped that it may not be permanent, but it seems to have been (he is now 16 months) and I clearly need the meds to stay in the normal range.

ml- I asked in October when we were trying, but not yet pregnant- but I saw another doc in the practice who said I didn't need to be retested because my last set were less than 6 months old.  my levels on my current meds (they had me take two extra pills this past week) are normal.  I am totally paranoid, because in addition to being old with crusty eggs, having low levels can result in birth defects or miscarriage. I am sure that some is doc dependent, but I wondered how often this is checked and how other's med dosing was affected by pregnancy.  ps. I hope your visit goes well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, no wonder - that makes sense.  Glad your levels are normal on the meds.  I'd keep taking them in that case.  Thanks for clarifying.  I wondered what kind of doctor would prescribe thyroid meds "just in case!" LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Hi everybody - I've been MIA for awhile, so congrats to all the new bfps! Hope everyone is having a great holiday season.

Arcain, I wanted to chime in on the waves of nausea...I'm a few weeks behind you at 25 weeks, but I've had the occasional bout myself lately. I had virtually no morning sickness in the first trimester, but from time to time I've felt a little nauseous or light-headed in the late second trimester. Yesterday I had a wave and had to lie down for a few minutes. Sounds like this is pretty normal, so I hope your intestinal distress is gone and your doctor reassures you tomorrow.

I'm hoping for some wisdom about birthing classes and/or books. DH and I haven't signed up for a class or read any books yet, and I feel like it's about time we started educating ourselves...

- when do you think is the best time to take a birthing class? I'd tend toward the middle of the third trimester, when it'll be top of mind...but maybe it's better to do it earlier, so you have more time to practice...?
    - anyone have thoughts about the offerings from Harvard Vanguard (Burlington) vs. Isis?
    - any recommendations on good books about childbirth and raising a baby? We're having a hospital delivery, and while I haven't given it a ton of thought, I'm in the camp of "if I can do it med-free, great, and if I need the meds, I'm not going to beat myself up." I know I'll have to take a stronger stance on meds if I really want to deliver without them, but that's where I'm hoping some good, unbiased reading material will help.

Thanks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Tang - I asked about when to take a birthing class at my last appointment and my OB suggested around 7-8 months. Unfortunately, that doesn't work with DH's coaching schedule so we will be doing it earlier than most so that he can attend.

I can't answer for the other questions, we are on the Cape and our classes are at Cape Cod Hospital (only $25 for a 5 class series on child birth which seems very reasonable to me). I haven't done any reading yet about child birth or child raising but I would be interested to see the responses!

Good luck on the upcoming ultrasounds and check-ups everyone!  Hope you're feeling better soon, Arcain!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Luv congrats!!!

I love the idea of dinner in with a movie for NYE. We have always done something different.  My parents usually hace my aunt and uncle down the cape but I just don't feel like traveling down and back...we were just there for Christmas.  Plus I would really like to clean up my house that looks like a bomb hit it!

I don't understand peoples needs to comment.  It is like being pregnant opens some sort of door that normally they would never cross the threshold of but somehow its okay when someone is pregnant.

We found out on Tuesday we are having a girl!!!  We are so excited.  DS did not handle it well.  He cried the entire time because I couldn't hold him and I think it bothered him that someone else was touching me.  DH was great with him but the poor little guy. 

It is funny because when we had the ultrasound with DS they just said its a boy and this time they were like we think its a girl. 90% sure is what the doctor said. I know they can't say for sure I just found it funny having experienced both sets of news.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

About the thyroid issues...I too was diagnosed after my last pregnancy with low thyroid levles.  My doctor was borderline about putting me on meds, but when I told him that i may get pregnant again, he had me go on them, as he felt if I did get pregnant, I would need them, (and may have trouble getting pregnant if not on them).  I get tested every six months to make sure my meds don't need to be adjustred (1.5 years on the same 50 mg)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

thanks smiley

for the class- I would say 7th month is probably best- you will be given lots of reminders (BWH has videos for parents, pamphlets, booklets, etc.) once the baby is born- think of the class as an introduction.  We decided on the 7th month because you definately want it before you have the baby, and I was worried about potential bed rest, early delivery, etc.  On top of that- I had a summer baby- but you have to plan for winter and the havoc it raises...

for books:
    my favorite "omg i just had a baby book" was Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality

my favorite "what the heck is he doing book" was the 0-3 by Brazelton

and I never read the book, but based on advice I got here I watched the video of the "happiest baby on the block."  most public libraries have it- total lifesaver for soothing techniques and how to swaddle

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

What are peoples opinions on coffee/decaf?

Even though Liss assured me that decaf is not full of chemicals, I am still a little worried about all that stuff my sis-in-law said about decaf being loaded with chemicals. I am meeting with my doctor on the 12th and will ask her, but in the meantime I have had one cup of decaf a day.

Anyway, anyone else drink coffee/decaf during their pregnancies.

Sorry for being so silly about this...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never heard any studies on the chemicals other than caffeine in coffee, and those point to consuming <300 mg/day as completely safe (meaning it is not correlated to m/c).  I'd assume that if anything else about coffee/decaf were unsafe that information would be readily available and common knowledge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

With my first pregnancy I stopped caffeine intake almost entirely.  I allowed myself on cup of coffee a week as a treat.  This was mostly because I had to stop almost completely because I'd allowed myself to let my coffee consumption creep up to scary levels.  I don't drink soda at all, but a lot of people who drink diet coke take in WAY more caffeine than us coffee drinkers (fun fact: coffee manufacturers sell the caffeine they extract from coffee to soda makers so they can add it to soda). 

This time around I was already only drinking one small-medium cup of coffee a day (not 6 or whatever it was before my first pregnancy) so my plan had been to just drink a cup of coffee every morning and not sweat it.  As Kar says, they say coffee isn't that big of a deal in small doses. I supposed we should be more careful because we've got cardiac histories. 
    Of course, "the best-laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft agley," as old Robert Burns wrote.  I was so sick with morning sickness with this one that just the smell of coffee made me hurl. 
    Ask your doctor (cardiologist too), but if you can stomach coffee, have some.  Just don't go order a BIG ONE from dunkin' donuts or start drinking 2 liters of diet coke a day.

Caffeine will help your migranes, that's for sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Our pedi recommended the What to Expect:The First Year and the video The Happiest Baby on the Block. We definitely made use of the video a lot (especially DH - he used a bunch of techniques in there that really helped him when he was home alone with the baby like the football carry). I did read through the What to Expect - helpful in terms of expected milestones and some common issues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you cut out your regular coffee consumption, even just a cup a day, you can get terrible headaches with vomiting (I do, anyway) for a few days.  However, once you've detoxed from it you won't get headaches from withdrawal or from simply not having any coffee.  However, if you have a cup when you feel a migraine coming on, it can prevent it from getting worse because the caffeine raises your bp slightly, just enough to impact the ramping up of a migraine which occurs due to a dilation of blood vessels (lowering bp) in your head.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I prefer to get my caffiene from chocolate. =)

I switched to decaf coffee and tea (and frappachinos, yes they do decaf!), but occasionally have a regular tea or a hot chocolate and don't sweat it.  I looked on the tea box and one cup is only 55mg of caffiene.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Novem....I am getting my chocolate intake as well, seeing as I have a tray of brownies at home calling my name!

Thanks for the advice, it makes me feel a lot better! And, I think that is actually why I have been suffering from headaches lately.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The chemicals other than caffeine that I'd be concerned about while pregnant are not even in the beans themselves - its the pesticides.  I drink organic coffee even though the beans are exactly the same as non-organic beans minus the chemical pesticides.  Trader Joes sells a lot of good organic beans; I like the Ethiopian best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you cut coffee out completely over a week ago, you are not still getting withdrawal headaches.  But, if you drink some before you fully detox and then go off it again you can be prolonging the withdrawal pain.  Decide what you want to drink and have it every day to stop the headaches (even if that's none at all).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I took a middle of the road approach with the caffeine... doctor said one cup a day was absolutely fine (<300mg etc etc).  I don't drink soda, though my chocolate consumption is pretty regular.  I would get a medium latte 2-3 times per week.  It was a treat, I love them, and helped with the constipation issues.  I had formerly been a tea drinker in the morning, but for some reason tea sitting in my stomache all morning was making me nauseous in the first tri.  At the end of the first tri I started my 2-3 coffees/week because I enjoyed them and really needed something to help with constipation. 

AFM ... 2weeks to go!  eek! I think our LO has settled a little because my recent heartburn is pretty much gone.  I don't feel her being particularly "low" and don't think I"m walking any differently, but my belly looks lower and my stomache is happier.  The baby's room is officially ready, so I am feeling really good about that.  It is funny how the dogs are starting to get upset that I don't have enough room on my lap for them in addition to the baby.  ... I guess its good for them to get use to it :o)  Im starting to get nervous about the delivery ... but DH has been pretty good about calming me and reminding me that women have been doing this forever and that although it will probably not be a pleasant experience, it will be something that I can do and we'll handle whatever comes our way. 

Is anyone else doing perineal massage in anticipation of delivery?  We started a few weeks ago on the advice of a friend and some research that I did that shows it does have a statistical advantage. It is probably one of the most awkward things I've ever had to ask DH to do and then explain to him how to do... but laughter is key!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

boston, I just saw that (well, they talked about it, lol) on The Doctors.  The OB/GYN on the panel said it does help prevent tearing.  I can't imagine how awkward it is, though, even for DH who's obviously used to, uh, that area.

I think the original coffee question was about the 1000 or so chemicals in it other than caffeine.  Anyone get any info about coffee from that perspective from their docs?  I'm curious, too, but I have to admit I believe that if any of them caused problems we'd know about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

It's not the most scientific evidence, but we did perineal massage and I only tore a bit in the front.  Keep doing your kegels too, it really helps to have some control/endurance with pushing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

LLLE, I am just delighted for you, a 90% girl is awesome! 

So sorry it was not fun for your little man, I can imagine it was alot for him to deal with, weird place, funny machine, dark room - good to know he's protective of his womenfolk!