December Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: December Pregnancy

Congrats, Jenn! Wow, sounds like a rollercoaster experience but so glad to hear that you're home now and enjoying your little girl.

Thanks for sharing your story, too. I think it's so helpful to all of us who are figuring out what kind of birth experience we want while trying to consider all the potential unknowns that can come into play.

Enjoy these early days!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Jenn...if she's having trouble latching, you could try some finger feeding...basically you use a syringe that you feed her with...your pinky finger goes in her mouth, too.  Helps them learn the s@cking motion, feel flesh, not rubber.  I didn't want to bottle feed until she was a month, and my DD had a terrible time latching...so we would nurse, then finger feed an ounce of pumped milk, then nurse on the other side.  It took a while in the beginning, but it helped calm my anxiety that she wasn't getting enough, and made her less hungry so she wouldn't get as frustrated about latching. 

Just a thought! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Jenn, congratulations! 
    Do you have a belly band?  Both my SILs had c-sections and they said wearing the belly band tight over their incision helped them feel more comfortable moving around -- it kind of supported the muscles or something so they were less likely to strain their stitches. 

Good luck with breastfeeding.  You can do it!  For me, I felt like the nipple pain and frustration peaked (probably hormonally too) around 2.5 weeks.
     At 2 weeks I was crying opening with a crying baby (not weeping, full on sobbing hysterically haha) in the baby care aisle at Target, attempting to decide what type of nipple cream to buy (Lansinoh, for the record, is the best) because the free sample the hospital gave me ran out.
    At 3 weeks I was walking around, breastfeeding in public like I'd been doing it for years.
    You can do it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Jenn- congrats! I am glad they let dad bring the baby over to you right in the OR... after 9 months of carrying the baby and all that labor/pushing I feel like moms deserve to see the baby FIRST!!  What hospital did you deliver at?

At the hospital I work at now, we do "incision to skin", so the OB will literally place the baby from the womb onto the mothers chest and the nurses will help baby nurse right there are a few seconds/moments old.  Its amazing.  We put all the IVs, monitors, etc on only one arm of the mother so that she has a whole arm that is completely free to hold the baby.  Its very nice- I hope every hospital eventually goes to this.

Dont forget to check out kellymom.com for bf'ing advice... its like a bible!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations, Jenn!  I hope your pain subsides in the next few days and the breast feeding improves.  Best of luck with your little one!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm totally freaking out because I'm at work and just got a BFP.  I just picked up antibiotics for this bug that will not go away, and since I had sort of an atypical AF this month I figured I'd better test before taking pills, just in case... NOT EXPECTING TO ACTUALLY GET A POSITIVE RESULT.

Did I mention I'M FREAKING OUT???

DD is 13 months and we are currently homeless living with my in-laws and my husband has said he's "not quite ready" for a second.  I guess he'd better get ready!  I have been off the pill for 1 month, because I wanted to try and get my hormones evened out (was having some mood issues and wanted to see if the pill was contributing, which I think it was).  DH knew I was off the pill this past month, too.  So I did not conceal anything!

along with the freaking out, I am excited and can't wipe the smile off my face.  So I hope he has the same reaction!

Congrats on your LO, Jenn - I didn't read your whole post yet (because of the freaking out) but am going to go do so now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Poppy!  Of course, he'll be excited!  Your kids will be just about 2 years apart, imho, perfect as far as their closeness goes.  You've got 9 months to deal with logisitics - I'm sure it will work out fine.  Sticky thoughts and prayers!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congratulations Poppy! I guess the baby decided this was a good time to come. It will all work out!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thank you, ladies!  It's killing me to not be able to tell DH, but I think email or phone is not the best way... need to be there to catch him.

Jenn - Your birth story is very similar to mine.  3 hours of pushing then an unplanned c-section.  I also felt most of the actual surgery pain - not sure why (maybe the epidural is not as strong as the spinal they typically do for c-sections?  not sure).  I hope you start to feel good very soon.  Did you have the horrible gas pains?  I had one in my upper right shoulder area (that they actually warned me was a common result of a c-section) that was terrible.  I hope you were at least spared those.  Good luck with the nursing - with luck she'll get the hang of it very soon and be fine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I am lurking over here from Infants and Toddlers because I am starting to get the faintest glimmer of the idea that a second one would be a possibility... so I just had to write and say CONGRATULATIONS to the new babies and the new pregnancies!  I'm looking at you, Poppy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Poppy...so happy....so jealous! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

OMG, Poppy!  Congratulations!!  Such an exciting surprise! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Yay, Poppy!  Just like ml said...so happy for you, and also so jealous!  Fingers crossed that around this time next month I'll have good news too! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congratulations Poppy :o)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Wow - congrats Poppy!  Very exciting! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

CONGRATS Poppy!!! So exciting :) How far a long do you think you are? How are you feeling?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, ladies.  :) It's early days but I feel very lucky and blessed, and am wishing all of you who are TTC the same outcome very soon!

I have not been keeping track of anything, so I don't really know how far along I am.  I'd guess 4-5 weeks?  I've been sick for about a week and a half, so have been feeling lousy because of that, but otherwise fine.  I'm going to call my OB  when they re-open at 1:30 (what's with dr.'s offices and their 1.5 hour lunches???) to schedule an appointment and ask if I can take this antibiotic I picked up this morning...

I'm really nervous about telling DH!  I don't know the best way in which to do it.  A friend (yes, I've already told 2 friends) said I should have Zoe hand him the positive test with a cute little note or something... I just don't know.  I think I'm going to end up just blurting it out out of nervousness!  Has anyone had this experience of an unplanned bfp and how did you tell your partner?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Poppy -- Congrats! My SIL had a similar experience (but when her son was only 8 months old!) -- they weren't preventing but really didn't expect it to happen so soon. It turned out wonderfully. Her kids are great little friends (they're 4 and 3 now) and as a bonus, she's really condensed the time she has to deal with diapers and temper tantrums!

I haven't had to blurt the news of an unplanned pg, but in your situation I'd probably forego the cute methods of telling DH. I'm sure he'll be thrilled but he'll have to go through the same mental/emotional adjustments you just did, and it's easier to do that in just a straightforward conversation. Just blurt it out :-). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Poppy... yeah!!  Great news... and I'm so glad you are so excited.  It will all work out.  You are with family, which yes, isn't optimal as you want your own place, but you have a roof and people that love you to help! 

Do you mind if I ask what irregular AF this month means?  Mine was 1 1/2 days... which is so short.  But, I'm fairly positive it was the real AF as the first day was very heavy.  Although, my colleague at work who is now 16 weeks thought she was miscarring at 10 weeks due to massive flow.  Turns out she had a clot.  So I guess you really never know until you test!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, Arcain, I think you're right.  Plus, I will probably have to do it after DD goes to bed, since I get home around 6pm and bring her up for bedtime routine about 6:45.

IPW - by irregular, I mean it was very dark in color, signifying that it was old blood (sorry if TMI).  Sometimes that happens to me on the first day, so I just figured it would straighten out, but after about 1.5 days of that, it was over.  So I became a bit suspicious.  But that did not happen at all at the beginning of my pregnancy with DD, so I really didn't think it would result in a positive test.  I really only tested because of the antiobiotic prescription I was supposed to start today (BTW, my OB said it was fine for me to take azithromycin) combined with the fact that I was off the pill this past month. I was going to call my OB today anyway - to refill my bcp!  Instead I had to make 2 appointments, ha!  So I'd say yes, if you have anything extremely unusual occur with your cycle (which it sounds like you did with the 1.5 day AF) it makes sense to me to test, just in case.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Ah, poppy, I want to hug you I am so happy for you!

I think your DH might freak out a little bit at first, so don't be cute about it, don't involve your daughter - just be direct and let him know you are a little nervous too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Well I was gone at a meeting all day but what great news to return to.  Congratulations Poppy.  My siblings and I (there are 4 of us) are all about 2 years apart and it's great.  We are all really close and still spend a lot of time together.  I agree with Kar that the timing sounds perfect in that regard. As for your living situation, while not ideal I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work!

IPW - I don't want to give anyone false hope but at the start of my pregnancy I had 2 WEEKS of heavy AF like bleeding and so far (knock on wood) I'm carrying a healthy baby who is growing right on schedule.  If you're at all suspicious about that weird AF it might be worth testing. Maybe you'll be our next surprise BFP.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

clc, you're not alone!  My SIL, while carrying twins, had heavy AF-like monthly bleeding the entire pregnancy!  I didn't know her then, but she has 2 18 year olds so I guess it was OK, lol.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Congrats Poppy, that's great news!

Jenn, congrats on your little girl!! Hope you're recovering nicely and hope she's getting better with the latching/feeding- that must be stressful and  I've heard it's pretty common.

When did others start noticing BH contractions? I'm 34 weeks and I think I've had a few but I'm not really sure- could just be the baby moving a strange way. I feel like my belly sort of tenses up and feels a little uncomfortable. Does that sound like BH?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wow Poppy! Congrats!  Let us know how telling DH turns out!