December Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: December Pregnancy

Thanks for the EP advice ladies.  Still in consideration, but I will really have to think about the "E" part of it.  Perhaps at 4am tomorrow morning.

ERA is scheduled.  We'll see the bean Friday.  =)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

One more person who EP'd for several months...DD had trouble latching and wasn't gaining weight so for her first two months I would try to nurse, then pump and fingerfeed her pumped milk to keep better track of how much she was getting.  At around 2 months, I introduced the bottle, and after that she refused to BF at all, so I switched from combo feeding to EPing.

It is tough!  You can't pump and feed the baby at the same time, so that means it's either a two person job or takes 2x as long.  Also the washing of parts, etc. 

That said, if you want you husband to take part in feedings, at about 4 weeks is when they suggest introducing a bottle.  If you pump after nursing 1-2 times a day, you should definitely have enough for that feeding...Also, good to have your husband introduce the bottle, so baby associates it with him, and nursing with you. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Congrats Boston, sounds like the appointment went well. Very exciting! 

I have my 36 week next week but got good news today at my u/s- baby turned and is now head down so (for now) I can stop worrying about a c-section. yay! Of course, I'm getting kicked in the ribs but I'll gladly take it.

Congrats Rama on the pregnancy with #2, hope all goes well.

Nov, I had better luck looking thru Baby Bargains and looking stuff up online (reviews on Amazon, recommendations on here, etc) before going to BRU. I wanted to narrow the list so that instead of looking at 3 rows of car seats, I could go straight to the Chicco ones to make sure I liked the one I'd seen online. I've also heard that a Buy Buy Baby is now open in Braintree. I haven't been there but liked the store in NH (though they are as overwhelming as BRU, I'm pointing it out just as another option).

I learn so much on here, I'd never given any thought to EP- very helpful to hear about others' experiences.

Where has this month gone, how is Christmas less than a week away??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Liz-
    Make it brown rice and you've got a relatively healty treat! Fiber from brown rice, protein and vitamins from beans, protein and calcium from cheese!  Delicious!  Add some salsa for extra veggies. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Nov another EP'er.  DS also was tongue-tied and after it was fixed would just scream and refuse any more than a suck or two.  So onto the pump.   Everything that has been said is so true...dont expect to leave the house much with ep as by the time you pump, feed, clean and prep it is time to start again.  The clogs and infections - try a 103 degree fever for 48 hours not fun, getting up to pump while husband and baby sleep away - contradicts the getting help with feedings.  But the one thing I did not see ( could have missed it) was once dh went back to work, I would be pumping with ds next to me and he would start screaming to be held, changed, fed etc and I would be stuck to a pump for 20 min while he cried or pull off, address his need and deal with dripping and painful b 00 bs.  Then get back on and get less supply because I lost half of it to our sheets and mattress - the pump was set up on my bedside stand. 
    It is doable...I have a friend who did it for 6 mo but I am not that patient or selfless and quit after about 2 months, ds got about 2.5 months of bm due to frozen stock.  I hated not being able to go places or just see to his needs while trying to produce his next meal.  If BF works for you I would make sure the babe takes to it first then introduce the bottle so you are not limited to just the pump. 
    Dont get me wrong plenty of women do it but just be aware it is not an easy undertaking.  This time around I will work harder to get ds/dd to the b 00 b but if it does not work, Ill pump what I can but not put the pressure on myself to pump exclusively.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

When DS was born, I did both nurse and pumping due to low supply issues for the first 4-6 weeks, and I found it was so draining even when I was just pumping (after nursing him) during the day. We ended up getting bunch of spare pumping parts so we could just do one wash at the end of the day, and as soon as my supply was good enough that he did not need the supplemental feeding, I cut back big time on pumping, and it made it so much easier for all of us. I know if I had to pump exclusively, it would have been tough to make it to 6 months. During that pumping phase, I did get a painful clogged duct (I ended up switching shields to ones that were less painful for me and helped with the clogged ducts).

Note, clogged ducts can occur even if you nurse exclusively so that is not unique to pumping. But I found that nursing helped clear the duct, as painful as it was, better than pumping - and it was the same when I was pumping at work - when I had days at work where I felt one side starting to clog up, then I would have to go to daycare to nurse him on that side so that it would not end up too painful by the time I got home.

It was easier for me to nurse the baby at night than think about getting up and pump (and DH does not handle lack of sleep that well, so since he had gone back to work after the first week, I could not ask him to do too many night time feedings anyway when we did supplement and use the bottle).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I need some ideas on how to deal with a cold while pg.  I started feeling pretty awful yesterday morning and ended up needing to leave work early. I'm back at work today and dragging.  I have a sore throat, runny or stuffed up nose (it keeps switching on me) and overall just feel worn down.  I've had several servings of OJ, tea with honey and increased my water intake. Also, I've been getting tons of rest but it is definitely interrupted with all of the middle of the night peeing.

Anything else that I can do? I would rather stay away from cold medicine if I can help it. I have cough drops to try and sooth my throat but they aren't doing much.  I would love some suggestions!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm sorry you're sick, CLC!  I hated getting colds while pregnant because they last forever (sorry)... It sounds like you're doing everything you can do (also taking a vitamin?), I would just add to keep tabs on whether or not you think it ever turns into an infection.  I recently had a bad cold that turned into a sinus infection and took a z-pack antibiotic (which my OB said was perfectly safe).  It helped tremendously.  So I guess I'd just say to keep an eye on it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

CLC, OD on ginger of all kinds, ginger snaps, ginger team, sliced ginger - it's the only thing that cuts through the gunk of a cold and makes you feel better too!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

You can't do this at work, but steam usually helps to break up the gunk.   When you get home, boil up a saucepan of water, then remove it from the heat, VERY CAREFULLY stick your head over the pan, a towel over your head and inhale slowly and deeply.  Your nose will run wildly, but just keep blowing it all out.  GL.  Hope you feel better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

clc--I suffered through two colds and the flu during my last pregnancy. Some of the non-drug remedies that helped a little...saline nose spray, steam (I would shower twice a day), and Vicks VapoRub. I did take end up taking some Tylenol for a fever and also benedryl. The benedryl won't clear you out, but it helps knock you out. (I actually took 1/2 a benedryl every night for the last 6 months of my pg because of some wicked pg insomnia.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, ML and Poppy. 

ML - does ginger ale count? I can't stand ginger snaps but I've never tried ginger tea or sliced ginger.  Perhaps I'll try to get some on the way home today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Ginger ale will help, don't get the cheap generic, spend the money to get the most ginger you can get. It's totally worth it!

Hope you feel better and have a short week at work so you can rest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Neti pot or sinus rinse will take care of nasal congestion and post nasal drip.  Use it after a shower to get the most bang for your buck. It's just saline, so there is no problem w/ using it during pg. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, ALF. I actually saw this articletoday and thought of you because I know you're such a fan of Neti pots.  I'll be honest, I've totally used tap water in mine and then added the little packet that comes with it.  Apparently I should have been using distilled water, huh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I saw similar articles. 

If you follow hte directions, you should not have any issues w/ it.  Doesn't tap water hurt? I used it accidentally once and thought I was going to die.  I always use previously boiled and cooled water.  I then reheat it and add the saline.  I added water to the kettle once and then never got around to making tea.  Then when I went and did the sinus rinse the next day, i was in for a horrible surprise. 

Yes, you need to either use distilled or previously boiled water!  If you do that, it works like a charm. :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I wanted to add an update to the skincare issue I was having (well, still having...), but don't dare go back to that other thread I made...Anyways, I found this site www.thespoiledmama.com They sell all kinds of pregnancy safe skincare items, and I bought some of their Stripped Cleanser. It just arrived today, so I'll start using it tonight.  I'm hoping either this new product helps or my hormones level out soon.

I tried on some maternity jeans last weekend, but they were a bit big around the waist, so I'm stuck in my normal jeans and pants for now. At 15 weeks I feel like I can just start to see changes, and everyone at work says they can't tell...I mean, I don't want to blow up like a balloon, but looking pregnant will make me feel better for some reason :)

Only a week til our next appointment, hoping to avoid a scare like last time. And only a bit more than 3 weeks til the big u/s where we (hopefully) find out what we're having!

When have people began working on the nursery? We've started to clear the room out and are having new carpet put in soon. I'm eager to get going, but also don't want an empty baby room for like 4 months.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ha - I like the "M.I.L.F. Cosmetics" section.  I also found it funny that the "Spoiled Daddy" section has exactly 1 product. These look great, though - thanks for sharing!  (and I just read through the other thread... my goodness that RT has a lot to say)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: December Pregnancy:
    I tried on some maternity jeans last weekend, but they were a bit big around the waist, so I'm stuck in my normal jeans and pants for now. At 15 weeks I feel like I can just start to see changes, and everyone at work says they can't tell...I mean, I don't want to blow up like a balloon, but looking pregnant will make me feel better for some reason :) Posted by summerbride09

Summer - it's crazy how pregnancy can differ from one woman to the next.  I'm also 15 weeks and I popped a few weeks ago (so much for those ab muscles, huh?) and then last week I seemed to pop again. If you're anything like me then you'll wake up one morning and say "Holy god, where did that come from?" I couldn't wear my pre-pregnancy pants if I tried.

Also, related to the skin care thread, after reading that I switched back to using Cetaphil once a day and added in a moisturizer.  I've seen a big difference in my skin.  Good luck with your new products!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ugh, I am in the phase were my jeans still fit, but I am starting to look and FEEL uncomfortable. I am only 8.5 weeks, but I am noticing a little belly forming. The Bella Band really helps. I tried on maternity jeans and the only ones that fit were two sizes smaller than my regular jean size, and those are still falling down on my hips/butt. Oh, also, anyone else feel like their belly is bigger at night?

Summer, the bella band helps keep loose maternity jeans up as well.

I really don't want to "look pregnant" until at least my second trimester! Though, every woman is different. I have a friend who had a bump at 10 weeks and another friend who didn't show even a little but until 20 weeks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Im 10 weeks today and I fit into a pair of pants yesterday but then halfway thru the day I had to unbutton them.  LOL.  Other than that I am using the bella band and maternity pants.  I find that the maternity pants are more comfortable than the bella band.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

TC - that is great news!!  Now baby needs to stay put!  36 weeks - wow!  How exciting!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hi all! Work's been too crazy for me to catch up on posts, but for those who hadn't seen it I wanted to pass on this deal for $99 for 10 Baby Boot Camp classes: http://deals.boston.com/deal/5100/baby-boot-camp-charlestown-medford-beverly?s_campaign=Deals_BabyBoot_121911_Email. Has anyone done this program before? I'm just glad that I now have a financial incentive to get off my butt and back to working out once LO is here!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Summer,
    I know what you mean.  You just want to get pregnant enough so you look pregnant to strangers, not just chubby because you ate too many Christmas cookies.

In other news, I've entered in the part of pregnancy where I apparently have crazy sex dreams. 
    I'm usually a pretty vivid dreamer anyway but pregnancy does something strange to my brain.  This happened last time too, just later on.  Who knows.  Am I the only weirdo this happens to?
    I suppose I should be grateful and just roll with it but honestly, it's kind of exhausting haha.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Liss,
    I had sex dreams and even...you know...in my sleep (which would wake me up). Those were weeks 6-8. It was crazy!

Sections
Shortcuts