December Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: December Updates

oh, Fram...that's a bummer. I don't know much about the glucose and diabetes...is that something you can reverse? I've been wondering if I'm going to have a problem b/c I have been eating a box of Nerds (small, trick-or-treat size) at least every day, sometimes 2...and the aforementioned chocolate milk...and occasionally coke... :-(

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Fram, I'm not sure if its genetic or not.  My SIL had borderline with two of her kids and her diet did not need to be drastically changed just modified.  For instance she had to stop having milk in the morning because of the carbs/sugars in milk, they had to be worked in throughout the day.  On a different note glad to hear that you had a good hospital tour!

Silver, I don't think its how much sugar you are in taking but the way your body processes it.  With DD my test was in the late afternoon and I was starving so I literally had to eat something, I chose banana bread with a healthy amount of butter on top - My results were fine but a friend who really did fast and eats much better than I do overall had high results.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Hey quad, we are the same.  I will also have a newborn and a 2.5 year old.  I think I'm due a few weeks later.  I'm 4 weeks now.  And is it just me or do I already have pregnancy brain?

I'm also fining that I will probably be way mellower about things.  I will eat cold cuts and blue cheese.  Maybe a drink or two.  Maybe some sushi.  I think there is way too much emphasis on blanket no-nos and the aren't really put into context very well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Congrats to both Quad and Sarah!  I will also have a just over 2.5 year old and a newborn. Quad and Sarah - are your LOs still in their cribs, or have they moved to a big kid bed? DD is still in her crib, but I am wondering if I should move her before it gets tangled up with all the new baby changes, or if I should keep her in the crib and think about a (gulp) second crib.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Has anyone else had a high result that turned out to be nothing?  I am so distracted by this today!

Now that the baby is getting big, the movement feels so different!  It's almost jarring now.  Guess I better get used to it for the next few weeks before she runs out of room to scare the heck out of me :o)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from half-full. Show half-full's posts

Congrats Sarah and Quad!

Fram -- my sister and one of my best friends had high initial results that turned out to be nothing.  Remember that the first glucose test is just a screening, designed to catch as many as possible and the three hour test is much more telling.  My DH is a Type 1 diabetic, so I know way more about diabetes than I ever thought I would.  It has much more to do with how your body processes the carbs that you take in.

Also, Fram I don't remember how far along you are but around 27ish weeks, the baby starting kicking/punching/dancing to the point that it feels like I have had the air knocked out of me.  Oh and the morning that my coffee spot accidentally gave me caffeinated coffee, wow, the kid was ready to stage a party in there.

Oh, I and I've finally logged on from work.  There goes my productivity....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks half!  I originally made an appt for next Wed, but I just switched it to Monday because I can't wait.

I am 28 weeks.  I think you are a few more than me?  I drink coffee every morning and, surprisingly, she doesn't react to it!  She does seem to react to OJ and certain foods though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Wow, so many updates today!  Welcome to all the new folks.  It looks like a lot of us are around the same time.  I go for my ERA next Friday. How long does it take to get the results from this?  I think I won't stop worrying until I get the results.  My due date is June 21. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Fram - I hope that the high level turns out to be nothing.  I am worried for my test b/c diabetes runs in my family and my doctor said she "really wants to watch it."  That made me a little nervous.  I am very petite and haven't gained a lot of weight with this baby - just normal.  But I guess that doesn't matter b/c someone I work with was so tiny and she had it.  but she was fine and so was baby :)
    You reminded me that I have to schedule meet the doctors at BI.  Did you go on the tour yet? 

Glad to hear everyone is doing well.  I LOVED lemonade in my 1st trimester also.  My favorite though is to mix pineapple juice with vanilla seltzer (polar brand) - THAT's the Best!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Wed - It depends on which screening you chose.  I chose the SST for which you have to do a second blood test in the second trimester, so I did that at 17 weeks (I think?) and got the results within a few days.

SLP - Thank you!  Diabetes kinda sorta runs in my family, but the only people I know of are one uncle who didn't get it until his 60s or so and my sister who had gd, but was/is overweight.
    I went to Meet the Doctors and did the tour last night.  Quick tip for you - Pull into the East Campus Main Entrance garage off of Brookline Ave.  We ended up pulling into the next garage, which was no big deal whatsoever, but now we know for the big day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

QUad and Sarah - congrats!!!  Great news!!!
    Fram - sorry to hear about the screening!  My fingers are crossed that the full test will go better. 
    I hope all is well for everyone...
    We had a busy Thanksgiving and flew with DS for the second time.  B/c of my belly and DS being every bit an active toddler boy, we bought him a seat and installed his carseat since we were bringing it anyway - boy what a difference from the flight at 15 mos when he rode on our laps!!  The seat was a godsend!!!!  He was so great flying and rested comfortably and pretty much stayed on his normal schedule.  If you fly with an under 2 yo who isn't a great lap-sitter, definitely consider doing it this way if the fares aren't too crazy (we lucked out!).  It was sooo much better for us!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

Congrats to all the recent BFPs!

Fram, I had a friend that recently got called back after the first glucose screening and passed the second with flying colors. Fingers crossed for you.

I was also at the BI Meet the Doctors and wondered if any of the ladies from this board were there... Although, I don't often post, I'm a regular reader and I love all your updates and info.  At a recent checkup, the certified nurse midwife actually suggested following these threads because they are a great source of info!

I'm at 26 weeks and suddenly starting to feel a nauseous again, similar to ms I experienced in weeks 6-14. Anyone else experience this? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Thanks Fram.  I guess I need to ask more questions, they didn't really tell me much about the ERA except that it was an ultrasound and a blood test combination. Are there different types of blood tests to choose from?

I am craving lemonade after all these posts!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Wow, lots of good updates for December already.  Congrats Sarah on your BFP, to Prill on graduating the RE and to Quad on seeing that little heartbeat!  Good news all around.

Fram, sorry about the glucose screening results.  I do know of many people who passed the 3 hour test after "failing" the one hour screening.

I too craved Lemon in my first trimester.  Lemonade was one of the only things that made me feel marginally better.  Now I have no desire to have anything lemony at all.  I am, however, all about the chocolate milk.  DD always gets chocolate milk whenever we go out to eat, and I am constantly stealing sips of hers when she's not looking (she would get bent out of shape if she saw me gulping down her drink.

Nothing to report on my end.  22 weeks today.  Feeling pretty good.  Baby is still a crazy mover and shaker.  Especially from 3:30-5:00 am. I hope that doesn't hold true once he comes out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Wedoct09 - There is the early risk assessment (ERA), which is an ultrasound and single blood test at 11 weeks 1 day - 13 weeks 4 days, 85% detection, 5% false positive for Down's, and the serial sequential test (SST), same ultrasound & blood draw as for ERA, with a second blood draw at 17 weeks (there is more wiggle room with the second draw, but best results are at around 17 weeks), which has a 95% detection, 2.5% false positive rate. If you also get a 20 week ultrasound, the detection rate is even better, but of course, you are at 20 weeks by then.

I just had my first appointment this morning and went over all this with the NP, and set my ultrasound up for Dec. 22, which is why it is all so clear in my mind.
    I am with Harvard Vanguard, and they sent me a whole packet of info with a lot of details about the screenings available, as part of my pre-appointment stuff. I'm sure your doctor will have similar info, but you might have to ask.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Does anyone know if the 18-20 wk. u/s is the last one. I haven't looked into it, thought I'd ask here.  I thought that I am probably all done with them, but would be nice to see him again!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

ajuly, I just asked the same thing at my doctor's office this week.  She said after the 18-20 week, there aren't any more scheduled ultrasounds.  Of course she did say that things can always come up that would require one, but obviously that isn't ideal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

ajuly, like pugs said I think it is technically the last planned one. However, if the baby didn't cooperate you could get a follow-up so they can get all the pictures and measurements they need. I'm guessing they got all they needed with you though - I have my follow up Monday for the kidney shot. Gotta make sure I have some coffee beforehand to get this kid moving.

I also think Im' going to need to get another one around 28 weeks to see if this previa has moved...so there's always that (but i'd gladly sacrifice an additional u/s to NOT have to worry about that...) So if you had neither of those issues and hopefully no additional issues...I would guess you'll see your babe again around your due date. :-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Thanks Amy-Lyn, It looks like they have me scheduled for the ERA as I will be 12w3d at the time of my appt.  They didn't mention a second one or a choice between the two.  I will have to ask.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Maple - Would you mind telling me what you were wearing??  It would be cool if I could remember you :o)  I was wearing all black with a short little gray ruffly cardigan.  Fat girl in a little coat!  Oooh and I asked a question about what kinds of classes they offer in the hospital the day after delivery.
    I wouldn 't say I experienced m/s again, but after 20 weeks I had 2 instances of extreme nausea - way worse than anything I experienced prior to 11 weeks.

Amy-lynn - I go to HV as well.  I'm finding that other women I know don't seem to get as much info regarding all of the screenings.  I had a choice of like 8 different tests (from ERA to amnio), but others have said they simply were asked if they wanted to schedule the ERA.  I love HV!

Ajuly - My understanding is that the 18-20 u/s is the last planned u/s, but there are many many reasons you could have another one - previa, measuring small, measuring big, checking position towards the end, etc.  Although I wouldn't wish for many of those reasons!

My brother and SIL found out what they are having this morning.  Why haven't they called yet?!!!!  :o)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Has anyone taken the Natures Bounty Your Life prenatals?  I picked them up since they have DHA combined, though there all kinds of warnings about consulting my dr before taking that is making me wonder why.  I was taking the Target brand before and that didn't have any similar warnings.  Thanks!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My brother is having a girl too!  Turns out they hadn't called me (or anyone on our side of the family) because he was so disappointed about it's being a girl.  Grrrr he is so immature!  I'm sure there were others on here who were disappointed when they found out, so I do not mean to offend anyone.  But I know my brother, and he's an @ss sometimes.  I'm hoping he has had time to get used to it by the time we talk tomorrow, but if he hasn't I will be nice and bite my tongue.

Edit: I wanted to clarify that I truly do understand how someone could be a bit disappointed if they were hoping for the other sex.  It wasn't his disappointment that was disgusting, it was his reaction.  He basically completely rained on his wife's parade and acted like a grumpy jerk all day.

Booked a trip to Grand Cayman for 4 days!!!  I really wanted to go somewhere warm while I can still fly.  By the time my 30th gets here, I'll be ~37 weeks, so now is the time.  Can't wait!!  DH knows we're going away, but doesn't know the destination.  He is going to love it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Fram your trip sounds heavenly!

I had my 24 week check up on Friday and the baby is growing well.  I have been having stomach pains not cramping but more muscle and I discussed that.  Basically I have to ask for more help in carrying heavy things and just scale back a bit.  The NP was really nice in relating her personal experience that its hard to ask for help and it may feel too early to feel like I need help but life is different in this pregnancy and help is needed.  So we'll see how well I do with that, I also decided to eliminate heels, my stomach was KILLING last week after I had to run errands in them.  I didn't gain much weight so I really indulged all weekend, I had the most delicious hot fudge sundae - YUM!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Fram when you going away??  We're trying to plan a babymoon but the plane tickets are 1K each no matter where we go if it's a warm destination.  The baby doesn't really need a crib or diapers right??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

KT - It really is hard to stop yourself from overexerting!!  Easier now that I have a basketball in front of me, but it was hard for a while there.  You feel like you can still do anything, until a half hour later when your abdomen is sore.

Ajuly - I believe the tickets were around $300 each.  I've been checking out travelocity for the past month or two and pricing has definitely been weird!  Places like the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico were more expensive than St. Lucia or Grand Cayman.  I think because of the airfare.  So definitely poke around and check out all kinds of destinations!

Sections
Shortcuts