diaper duty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Re: diaper duty?

Pack n play is totally worth it!  We used it downstairs mostly.  We also took it when traveling by car.  One family friendly hotel we stayed at charged an arm and a leg for a pack n play (can't remember the cost).  DS played in it but DD wouldn't.  Each child is different.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Daisy - I'm glad to know that my kids are not the only ones playing with knives from the dishwasher! Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

"But children need to learn to accept being confined to the space of a crib or a playpen for an hour or 2 at a time as a regular part of growing up child (not wild animal.)"

1-2 hours at a time in the playpen?!  No way.  I wouldn't want my daycare provider to do it and I don't do it.  We have used the playpen to confine DS for short durations, but never more than 30-45 minutes...and even that was pretty rare when we were using it regularly. To each his own, but that seems excessive to me.  There are lots of ways for children to learn limits.  I prefer to teach my child to control himself without boxing him in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wag, of course, kids have to learn to get over being pissy and be put in situations at home where they develop the skills necessary to be well adjusted toddlers/children that others are pleased to spend time around and who are content without constant, hands on mommy interaction.  But, the disparity of philosophy is so wide here it's not worth discussing anymore.

If advice isn't helpful so be it; as my great-grandfather always said, "It's no weight on your shoulders."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Miss--Get yourself a pack n' play if you're going to be travelling overnight anywhere or if you have a multiple story house.  It's easier as a secondary crib.  We never used it as a playpen.  It was just for sleep.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

pack and plays come in handy if you want to cook dinner or go to the bathroom without a little monkey climbing all over you. It's a way to keep them in the room but contained in a safe environment. Of course, like all baby stuff it has a limited window of effectiveness -- our daughter accepted imprisonment for maybe three months. Three precious, wonderful months. We also use ours as a travel crib.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Our 2 yo DD still sleeps in her pack n play at Grandmas house, or camping, but I think those days are numbered as she's in a toddler bed at home - but she still likes to burrow into the corner, so that's why the PnP still works for now.

I used to put her in it last winter, while I ran laptop, pump, daycare stuff, etc out to the car because I couldn't carry all that and her too.  Sometimes she'd be ticked, other times I'd come back in and she'd be playing with something, and I do think she learned something about amusing herself from being in there.  But as someone else noted, it was a relatively small window that this worked, and I can't imagine she'd ever do it for an hour or 2.

We also used it as a bassinette for the first couple of months (one less thing to store/get rid of!)

In short, definitely register for one, even the basic models have the changing table and option to move the bottom higher... I don't think you really need much of the other (high priced!) options, though I would reccomend adding a couple of pack'n'play sheets as well... MUCH easier than cleaning the PnP itself!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

But children need to learn to accept being confined to the space of a crib or a playpen for an hour or 2 at a time as a regular part of growing up child (not wild animal.)

Kids do not one day magically become able to sit and behave in a restaurant or public place for 2 hours with no unruly behavior, or by late preschool learn to be managed in a small space with 10-15 others for a few hours, never mind at a desk for a schoolday shortly thereafter.

While we have a pack n' play and use it for sleeping in places other than home, I don't agree with leaving a baby in there for "an hour or two". Maybe my non-American upbringing was a little backward, but we had no such thing as a play pen, yet we all grew up being able to sit and behave when out in public. Most of us, anyway. I can't speak for my brother who used to hide under the mannequin's dresses at the local department store when he wasa toddler. I guess he knew something I didn't.

Definately register for one though - they are very versatile and useful, especially for sleeping.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

If you didn't register for one and it's not too late, you definitely should.  We used ours as a bassinett as well and as a travel crib.  We have two at my mother's for them to nap in on the days they go to her house.

If someone doesn't get one for you, or if there's any other "equipment" or clothes you might need, the West Suburban Mothers of Twins (Parents of Multiples?) club is having their Spring Tag Sale in Needham this Saturday.  It's a great opportunity to get very good quality 2nd hand items for a good price.  One of the (VERY basic) PNPs at my mother's house cost me $10 at an MOT Tag Sale.  You should be able to get more info about it at www.mmota.org. I believe it's open to the public from 10 - 1, but I can't remember the name of the church it's at.  (Misslily--do you know?)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Putting a child into a pack 'n play/play pen for 1-2 hours is horrible and does not teach a child to sit through a meal, play nicely with others, or entertain themselves. Being an involved parent teaches children those skills.

We must be the odd family out here, we put our pack-n-play away as soon as DS outgrew the bassinet part. The most DS is ever in his crib, while we need to get something done, is for 10-15 min to run to the bathroom...funny thing is our 15 mo old can sit through a 2 hour dinner at a fancy restaurant without fussing-and he's never been left in a pack-n-play for 1-2 hours!

This thread made me remember the wedding board days of drama and tangents way off topic!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

A P&P is great, you should definetly add one to your registry or get a lightly used one - There are lots on Craigslist.

We used ours a lot when DD was a newborn/infant - She'd nap in the bassinet part and we used the changing table portion all the time.  Later we tried using it as a "playpen" but that did not really work out, DD hated it.  Normally if I have to do something like empty the dishwasher, etc I put her in the high chair, she enjoys being with me and watching the action.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

This thread reminded me of a recent day at the mall.  A friend who has a 2.5 yo met up with me and my then 15 month old for a play date as our mall just added a really great indoor playspace and our boys were getting cabin fever by the end of winter.  After they played for a while, we decided to walk for a bit - her son on foot, my son in the stroller.  Her son asked to take a few turns on the escalator and she obliged, playing peek-a-boo with my son in his stroller each time they came up.  Don't you know, in the maybe 5 minutes I was standing and waiting by the escalators (by the escalators, not perched at the entrance or exit), EIGHT, yes EIGHT, different people approached me, begging me to not go on the escalator with my son in a carriage, advising me how dangerous it was, and pointing me to the elevator instead.  Of course I wasn't going on the escalator, but then again, how could they know that we were playing an escalator version of peekaboo with my friend and her slightly older son.  However well-intentioned the advice was, I certainly didn't ask for it and by person number three, I was pretty much offended and ticked off at people's assumptions that I would put my child at risk and their willingness to hand out free, unsolicited parenting advice.  I guess the lesson learned is that people are well-intentioned when it comes to parenting advice - they don't want to see parents or kids struggle.  But, well-intentioned advice can come off critical when unsolicited or when all the facts aren't present.  The irony is that by my professional licensure, I'm a mandated reporter of abuse or neglect, and these people viewed me as potentially endangering my son!    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

MM--unsolicited advice can wear on good parents after a while!  I totally get that you had no intention of endangering your child and I have also been in situations where well-intended strangers without facts have advised me in public.  They never want to hear my explanations of why they've mis-perceived the situation and how even though I appreciate their concern, there's nothing to worry about.

This thread is already so far off track, I'll share an escalator story.  DH and I were at the Burlington Mall (Natick Mall maybe?) one day and had just sat down on some benches near the top of the escalator to re-group.  A father, holding a toddler, a 5 or 6 year old in tow, and a mother with a baby carriage w/car seat propped/attached all came up on the escalator.  Dad and first two kids were fine.  Near the top of the escalator, one of the baby's blankets, hanging down off of the car seat/stroller and dragging on the floor/steps got caught in the escalator and somehow managed to pull the car seat--top over bottom--off of the stroller.  Baby was face down in the car seat on the top step of the escalator, stroller was b/t Mom and baby on the still-moving escalator, and Dad had his back turned, keeping an eye on the other two kids.  It was a really scary scene and we were horrified.  Mom's yell got Dad's attention quickly and the baby was scared, but ok, and may have had a minor bruise from the fall (I can only guess from the way the car seat went down), but that scared the bejesus out of me about strollers on escalators.  The parents were flipped out--for good reason--and rushed to make sure baby was ok and console him/her.  I'm sure they were mortified and felt terrible and never expected something like that to happen.

DH and I just observed all of this.  When I saw what was about to happen, I did start to stand up, but it happened so quickly and the situation was under control before I even straightened up fully.  Even so, unless a parent was actually clearly moving toward and about to step onto the escalator with the carriage, I would assume they were just waiting for someone in an open/visible area and wouldn't say anything.  Sometimes there's a fine line between being helpful and sticking your nose into a situation you know nothing about.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Whoa ...

OK, I really only read the first few posts and then the more recent ones, but my two cents on the original question: you're going to get all manner of "What the ...?!?!?!" reactions from well-intentioned family & friends during this pregnancy process.  Sometimes you'll be the one thinking "This woman is a loon"; sometimes they'll think you're the loon.  That's normal & OK.   

I'd start getting concerned if it's DH is nodding along with the loon, or spouting off the stuff that makes you go, "W-T-F????  Who did I marry???" and you realize you're not on the same page.  I honestly think there should be a pre-cana-like thing for newbie parents.  I mean, I know they cover a lot about raising kiddos during PC, but that was a while ago for us.  And I do not recall having to discuss what the role of the parent w/o br*asts would be during the midnight feeding/changing routine.  Or who would call out of work should the daycare be closed, or the kiddo is sick.  And as one of the last in our group to have kids, I can say -- these come up A LOT. 

Was this even your original question?  If you are looking for personal anecdotes, I can say that in our house, we are equal participants in all things domestic.  Some stuff falls into his wheelhouse [grilling, master of the fireplace and all things flammable, hauling of heavy things, reaching of top shelves], some fall into mine [cooking not involving fire, folding of laundry, rememberer of birthdays and anniversaries], and the rest we split.  For what we can imagine of life post-bean, it looks like we're on the same page and will take much the same approach.  But only time will tell. 

Oh, and pnp's rock.  I have one and my bean is still on-the-way.  We have a super-basic blue one that we inherited for overnight guests with kiddos.  No bassinet or anything, but I'm happy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

OMG what a horrifying scene!  How scary!  I totally get the danger of the escalator and people not wanting to witness what you witnessed and see a child hurt.  That is awful.  I bet that image has stuck with you!   
    But I agree, there is a fine line between helpful and preventing harm, and nose-sticking, misunderstanding.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

On the pack n' play:  Go for it.  With baby #1 it was used primarily for sleeping away from home (i.e. Grandma's).  With baby #2, it was used the same way -- and later, when he was sitting up, to keep him safefor short periods from his big sister (13 months older) zooming around the house in her toddler way (of course, then there was the issue of her throwing toys in to him -- trying to be helpful, of course!).  Continued to be used for children who followed.  Awesome.  We still have it in the basement to use when friends or family with babies visit.  Best gift I got at my shower!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

We have this style, 42" high, with 8 sections though currently set up with only six.  and a second for the outside decks or grass, 48' high.

Our kids, like the kids used to their own downstairs, are quite content playing in "the pen."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Waggie, they look abused.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EZola. Show EZola's posts

We have a kind of plastic version of that -- I think it's called a superyard. It was marginally useful for keeping our daughter away from the christmas tree. She didn't like being in it, though, and would cry if we even approached it while holding her. We ended up putting it across our bookcases and electronics when her interests turned that way.Now she's working on ways to scale it. The other day she dragged her toy bucket to it, turned it over, and tried to climb it. In her head she was probably thinking, "They haven't built the baby prison that can hold me!"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Oh, Waggie, they look abused.

I have been holding my tongue/keyboard for a while now, but really, why is it necessary to stir up the drama YET AGAIN? I have been coming here for over a year to get advice and support from fellow moms. Now it seems as though it's a p*ssing contest over every single issue. That's not helpful for anyone and I am extremely sad to see that some of the posters I know and respect have left because of the all the ridiculousness. Pretty soon it will be just 2 or 3 people swapping meaningless banter. Is that what you really want?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I'm sorry, that is not a play pen - that is a room divider.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

I was thinking the same thing KAM. haha 

Who knew Diaper Duty or Pack n Play would elicit the same reactions as the ever so controversial 'donations as favors' and 'cash bar' threads on the wedding boards.  Looking back 2 years since those days, I could truly care less about those things (not that I cared all that much to begin with).  I wonder if the same will ring true for topics pertaining to parenting?

Perhaps once my LO arrives, I'll think I know it all as well, but I don't think those that come off as all knowing are all that well received (at least not by me).  To be honest, the more certain posters insist their opinion is the only one to go by, the less I am inclined to read their posts.  

In any case, I do appreciate the talk about the benefits of a PNP in this thread.  I didn't know they could be used as a bassinet, so at least I got something useful from all this!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Oh, Waggie, they look abused. Kar

That is because as child models they do all the work, while the parents bank the proceeds.  Kind of like the Gosselins.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I think it was obvious from Wag's first post about playpens that she was talking about a large area that could be enclosed for kids to play in.  Someone else said that a play pen is now called a pack ' n play. Then people got upset about leaving a kid in a pack n play for several hours. Yes, pack n plays are small and are really glorified cribs.  They are great items, but you wouldn't leave a kid in them for several hours, so I don't know why someone thought that when the subject of playpens first came up that anyone was talking about pretty much crating the child like a dog in a small box for a few hours. Does it really matter what the item is called? I thought it evident from the post what she was referring to.

If people are upset that 'nasty comments' are being exchanged, perhaps they should read everything w/ an open mind.  Sometimes people are not trying to make a snide comment. Sometimes they are just dumped on for no reason for making a perfectly innocuous comment.  Then when they do react to the nasty comments that call them out for their innocuous comment, they are labeled a troublemaker.  Had you [the collective you-not anyone specific] made a reasonable effort to understand what Wag and Kar were talking about re play pens and the size of said item, this likely would not have come up. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No, I don't want everything to devolve into a p-ssing contest, but I tired of taking everyone else's sarcastic comments without adding my own.  I've disagreed, but respectfully, and yesterday I couldn't help myself.  It was right there, I took it.  Nobody chastises the sarcastic, hurtful jabs at my positions.

Sections
Shortcuts