Early Pregnancy and a Job Change- Help?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Early Pregnancy and a Job Change- Help?

I am very early in my pregnancy (5w) and I recently interviewed for a position with the same employer but in a different section. 

My question: because I would be reporting to a new immediate boss/supervisor, would I have to tell them about the pg this early on?  If I stayed in my current position, I would wait until I started showing and couldn't hide it anymore.  I know they can't rescind an offer because I'm pg (discrimination suit anyone?).  It is a position I would really want to move into and don't want to make it seem like I'm "pulling one over" on them. 

We haven't even told our parents anything at this stage.  I won't even feel totally confident about things until I know that things are continuing to progress positively so in a way I feel akward having to put that personal information out there before I'm ready to even share it with my family.

The situation is somewhat hypothetical at the moment, but could be real as early as this afternoon, so your thoughts would be helpful!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Early Pregnancy and a Job Change- Help?

There was a similar post a little while back.

There is no need to tell them in advance.  Good luck!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

absolutely no reason to tell them now. Good luck in your pregnancy and new job. :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Thanks ladies.  I didn't realize there was a similar post earlier.  I will happily not tell anyone until I'm ready :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I wasn't trying to dissuade you from posting - just letting you know that this had been addressed in depth recently. I've  noticed that sometimes questions may not get a good response if it's been addressed recently and the new poster has missed the earlier post. :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It comes up once a year (no worries), and every time it's the same.  You are under no legal or moral obligation whatsoever to tell them.  As morbid as it might be to think about it this way, the fact is you don't even know for sure if you're having a baby just because you are pregnant now.  Therefore, there's nothing to tell, yet, from that less than rosy yet undeniable perspective.  Of course, I ASSUME you are having a baby and wish you the BEST!!

I think of it that way because I felt guilty not letting my employer know I was going to leave months before I was because I "knew" when I got engaged I'd be leaving work when I got married.  My FFIL, a small business owner, put it in the terms above.  He said, "You don't KNOW anything.  Yes, you're engaged, but that doesn't mean you'll absolutely be getting married.  Things happen.  There's nothing to tell."  I kept it to myself, and I'm glad I did.  How awkward would it have been if I hadn't?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Haha, Kar, I totally agree with you.  That was my dilemma- I hope that everything will go ok and that I will have a baby, but I don't know for sure because you never know for sure, so why should I tell?  So, point well taken.

Alf- I know you weren't discouraging me from posting :) I am sure everything has already been discussed.  When I google things, I get so amused that there are discussions on my topic from the early 2000s.  It only makes sense, though- most people end up having the same questions/issues just at different times.  Interesting how nobody knows or notices until it's something they are dealing with. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm glad it was helpful in solidifying your resolve to keep it to yourself guilt-free.   Enjoy your secret. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

It is only your business when you want to tell the outside world about a pregnancy.  Many people don't even know at 5 weeks that they're pregnant.  I think it says a lot about your ethics that you are feeling like you *should* tell, but I would say do NOT feel you have to tell at this stage.

If you feel like they might ask "Did you know at the time you interviewed?" which is a TOALLY INAPPROPRIATE question, but people do say things like that, you could nip it in the bud before they have a chance to ask by saying something like, "I recently learning I'm pregnant..." which leaves the "recently" up in the air.  Just a thought!  Good luck and congrats!

Sections
Shortcuts