Emerson - Midwives 24/7?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Emerson - Midwives 24/7?

I recently got a BFP (!) and assuming it sticks, I am trying to decide on a hospital.  With my DD I went to a midwife at Harvard Vanguard in Wellesley and gave birth with a midwife at NWH.  I had a great experience and would like to continue to use a midwife for both my prenatal care and the delivery.  Does anyone know if the midwives at Emerson are at the hospital 24/7 or if it is only certain hours or days (so I could end up with an OB)?  Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Emerson - Midwives 24/7?

Memes, I can't answer your question, but wanted to acknowledge your recent bfp! Congrats!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks Kiwi! In case anyone else is ever curious, I just called and asked and was told there are 3 midwives that are on-call M-TH, and then OBs the rest of the time.  They said the midwives deliver about 80% of their patients. Now I just have to decide....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freerocks. Show freerocks's posts

Or you can have a homebirth with 1:1 care from dedicated midwives. Here is just one organization that can work with you: http://www.homebirthmatters.com/

Congrats on your pregnancy! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Effrontery. Show Effrontery's posts

I would really not recommend Emerson. I had my son there and he had complications that the hospital was totally not equipped to deal with. The medical care was sub-par, but the utter lack of communication was worse (including totally refusing to tell my husband what was going on or even where our son was). 

For the same reason, I wouldn't do a homebirth. I had a totally low-risk, wonderful pregnancy with no warning signs and if I had done a homebirth, my beautiful son would not be alive right now because he needed serious immediate medical care.

With #2, I had a great experience at Beth israel and I know people who rave about Mt. Auburn's for the midwife/doula experience.

Sections
Shortcuts