Ethics: parent-child and social networking websites

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redflatshoe. Show redflatshoe's posts

Ethics: parent-child and social networking websites

A few years ago, facebook and myspace posts were filled of social activities and mundane daily updates. 

Now that I am in my late 20s, my peers already have kids.  Their posts are now mostly about their kids.  Even their profiles have been replaced with their toddler's photos.

I cringe whenever I read TMI posts (i.e. reasons why jr got time-out, medical information, etc).  I feel like these informations should be kept private.  Since these posts are permanent, they may affect kids safety and future employment.

I'm not trying to offend anyone in here.  I don't have kids yet, so I can't relate to gushing parents posting junior's daily updates.   What is your opinion regarding "parent-child facebook ethics"?  Which info is OK to post and which is too private?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Ethics: parent-child and social networking websites

I think most info is OK to post, but I can think of two things I saw recently that I don't deem appropriate.  1) was a photo of a friend's son in front of his school on the first day of school.  Don't we teach our children not to tell anyone online where they live or what school they go to??  2) were photos from the delivery room.  That of course is personal preference, but my husband better not post pictures of me 5 minutes after I have delivered a baby!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

Re: Ethics: parent-child and social networking websites

In Response to Ethics: parent-child and social networking websites:
    What is your opinion regarding "parent-child facebook ethics"?  Which info is OK to post and which is too private?
    Posted by redflatshoe

I'm on the extreme side of this. 

Essentially, no information about my child is available via me on the Internet and when I do find something, I have it removed.  As a minor, although I have the ability to display information about progress, checkups, etc, I choose not to.  I believe that sharing such information is an underhanded way of self-promotion, which is contrary to my values.

I have six photographs of my child, stored in a locked box at home. The photos do not contain location-identifyable information but are for identification purposes only.  I have a few family and friends who have posted pictures of my child at their event (like a birthday party).  I ask that they be removed and they generally comply. Since that first came up with my child, I've also generally asked that people refrain from photographing her.  I don't want a seemingly humorous photograph of a small child to be a problem later.

Sections
Shortcuts