Experience with MaterniT21 test?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Experience with MaterniT21 test?

Almost 10 weeks along and scheduled to do the MaterniT21 test. I'm 41, so risk is definitely there. To add to findings, also scheduled for nuchal translucency screen. Anyone have experience with the MaterniT21 test?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Re: Experience with MaterniT21 test?

Have you decided what you will do if the test shows an abnormality?  Are you clear in your own mind what you want to know, and why?  Nobody should go into these tests "just to make sure everything is OK."  Because...what if it isn't?

I am not going to tell you what to do in terms of testing.  Nor will I tell you what to do if you have a test and the results show a problem. 

But I will tell you that you need to know--or at least have a pretty good idea--ahead of time how you will deal with it.

Once Test 1 comes out positive, you are on the path to Test 2, 3...  Are you ready for that?  Are you ready to accept the risk of miscarriage that comes with invasive testing if that's what they send you for?  Do you think you would definitely, maybe, or definitely not abort?  If you are willing to accept a disabled child, do you really want to know ahead of the birth and spend six or seven months thinking about that?

I know too many people who went for tests "just to see if it's OK" or "because I was 37 and you are supposed to" or because the insurance covered it and it was on the checklist--without a clear plan in place.  It is not a healthy experience.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I couldn't agree more with purplecow.  Yes, that's the only question - what would you do if the test said your fetus has Down's?  You can't just know.  You'd suddenly have the weight of that knowledge on your shoulders that you won't be able to unknow.  Just taking the test "because you're 41" and have about a 1/100 chance of having a baby with Down's isn't reason enough imo; you need an actionable reason that you and your husband agree on beforehand.

I'm 40 and could get pregnant.  I would test so I'd be more prepared emotionally for losing the baby (what usually happens) and I'd avail myself of the time I had during the rest of my pregnancy to learn more about handling a Down's baby.  Late game surprises are not my thing.  Nor is abortion for any reason.

But, what I would do is just that, what I would do.  There's no transferance of experiences - you have to just decide how much you want to know, how early would you want to know it, and what would you do with the information.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I am sure you are very well aware of the implications these tests have on you and your child. 

The MaterniT21 test is fairly new and a non-invasive test which is a nice alternative to a CVS or an amnio.  The integrated screenings (Nuchal Screening) and ultrasounds are also good tools in determining risks. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I had my two sons at 37 and 39. While I was made aware of the risks of being AMA, I was also treated as an individual along the way and was never pressured into any kind of testing. In my mind, ignorance is not bliss and I wanted to be prepared for any outcome as soon as it could reasonably be ascertained. Honestly, all of purplecow's questions become questions as soon as any woman becomes pregnant, not just in light of the decision to test or not. That said, I wanted to avoid invasive testing unless it was indicated by a result on a non-invasive test. With both children, I initially opted for the ERA (level 2 u/s and bloodwork). DH and I decided we would view those results before making any further decisions. (It's also important to note that the tests like the ERA don't give a yes/no answer, but rather odds--so they are not conclusive.) Our odds came back at 1:3000 and 1:1800 for Downs and Trisomy, so we were comfortable not pursuing any further testing besides the 20 week anatomy scan.

There are so many ways that older moms can get scared, I just wanted to share that being AMA doesn't *automatically* make you or your pregnancy high-risk.

Good luck with your decisions and your tests.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I would agree with purplecow... it is a good idea to think about your answers to the questions posed.

I am AMA (first pregnancy, I was considered AMA simply because his due date was a few weeks after I turned 35), and my husband and I decided not to do the testing - it would not change what we would do if we knew, and the stress of false positives and stress about worrying about impact from the more invasive procedures did not seem to make it worth undergoing the testing just to see. And for my current one a few years later, even though I am older, we decided the same for this one too - other than the usual full anatomy scan.

Testing won't expose all possible problems either, and life happens (like what if something happened to the baby during birth or post-birth? it won't change the circumstances and we would just have to move forward with any new developments that pops up).

If we had known genetic disorders in both of our families, then we would probably consider it more seriously - mainly to prepare for post-birth, but not if the risk of miscarriage, or the increased stress level would affect us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

It's not that risks of defects suddenly jump between 34 1/2 and 35.

35 is the cutoff because the risk of Down's rises to equal the risk of miscarriage from amnio--it's considered the break-even on the odds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, the odds gradually go up over a woman's reproductive life from about 1/1300 at 18 to 1/100 at 40.  I'm excited to learn about this test, though, from a personal perspective because I'd want to be prepared, but I woudn't want an amnio to find out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i think it's a little crazy to attack the OP with these philosophical questions - that wasn't her question on the post, she's asking if anyone has experience with these tests - simple as that.  OP: i don't have experience, but as a counterpoint to the other posts, i had an amnio at 31 because i had twins and non-invasive testing is less accurate with twins.  (actually it was 2 amnios, 2 sacs, 2 needles, one w/ blue dye to make sure they tested both fetuses- ick, haha.)  i plan on having another amnio for #3 (i'm 33 now).  GL with the tests.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But it's such a personal decision that simply answering her direct question probably wouldn't be helpful.  If someone said, "I took the test, found out we had a Down's baby, and we aborted it."  And other poster said, "I took the test and found out our baby didn't have Down's."  And other said, "I took the test, found out we had a Down's baby, and we're having it."  How would those answers impact her decision or anyone else's?  Those answers can be obtained more accurately by getting the statistics from the doctor's office.

The real answer is that she has to figure out what she'd do with the information, not get a bunch of direct answers as to what others did with it.  That's why so many of us answered that way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

MM2 - counseling couples facing these testing options and decisions is what I do for work :-) The only thing that I would make sure that you know, is that the MaterniT21 test is still considered to be a SCREENING test. It is significantly more accurate than the ERA or maternal serum screening for the risk of Down syndrome, but it is not as accurate as an amniocentesis. It also only gives you a risk for Down syndrome, and none of the other potential chromosome problems.

If you are looking to get more information about your risk for Down syndrome, then the MaterniT21 test is the most accurate, non-invasive test out there at this point. I would personally still follow-up with a positive result by having a confirmation amniocentesis. And if ultrasound happens to reveal any major concerns for anything else, then you may still want to consider an amnio later on for all the rest.

If you are at all on the fence about what type of information you and your partner are looking for, then I highly recommend talking with a genetic counselor BEFORE you actually do any of the testing. The questions posed by the other ladies above are some really great questions if you haven't already thought of them. Congrats and good luck with your pregnancy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

First of all, I want to thank all of you for your really thoughtful responses--I greatly appreciate this forum! Re: testing, I am someone who likes to, NEEDS to know (within reason) as much as I can about something before it happens to lend to my ability to prepare, or cope with whatever is in my path. Just like my decision to find out the sex of my baby as soon as I can (yes, I like surprises, but I like having my surprise at 20 weeks rather than wait until 40!). That said, knowing whether a genetic issue is present now, rather than finding out after delivery is important to me. How to proceed if we get a positive result is a decision to be made by my husband and me. Again, thanks for all of your thoughtful and informative responses...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Follow up for anyone interested: got terrific results, <.01% chance of chromosomal abnormality. Based on that result, genetic counselor advised me to skip amnio/cvs as risks from those invasive tests are statistically much higher than my risk of having a child with the chromosomal disorders we tested for with MaterniT21 test. We decided to heed her advice and hope for the best.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Congrats MamaMama!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

0.01%?!  Wow, that's as close to zero as you can really get. :)  YAY!

Sections
Shortcuts