Facebook Vent

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Facebook Vent

I had the same thoughts about those stickers Daisy! 
    There are also stickers that include a child's name & activity.  It will show a hockey stick with Tommy underneath the picture, for example.  Don't we usually discourage our kids from sharing their names with strangers?

A friend of mine posted a photo of her son on the first day of school... next to the sign in front of his school.  Not a good idea!!  The last thing anyone needs to know is my kid's address or where she goes to school, etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How can people be so careless with the safety of their families?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

@Daisy and others, in terms of safety I feel the same way. Whenever I look at real estate listings and they show a kids room with furniture and decorations to suggest the gender and age - and then the child's name listed on the wall as decoration (doesn't everyone have their babies name in letters hanging on the wall?), I want to scream!

A real estate listing has the address, which can be mapped on mapquest or whatever, the pictures provided give a good sense of the floor plan, last names and personal information are on the real estate databases and then the childs gender, general age and name out to absolutely anyone who cared to surf the internet.

Seriously, if you ever sell a house - DO NOT LET THEM PHOTOGRAPH YOUR CHILDS ROOM. Ugh, every time I see something like that I want to e-mail the realtor and tell them to remove the photo. It drives me nutty.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Yes, but if everyone were careful with their Facebook settings, how would I effectively stalk my ex-boyfriends?  Hmmm? 

Kidding.  I am now suitably afraid of Facebook, family decals, strangers, photographs, Criminal Minds, realtors, Red Fin, and the Registry of Deeds.  I will avoid all of these things in the future. 

Still kidding.  I love Criminal Minds.  And I just ramped down my FB privacy settings even further.  Good luck finding me now, high school randoms. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

GC - you're too funny!

Robin - I didn't find myself, thankfully.  I had my husband unlist our phone number after a random man I had a 5 minute conversation on the T started emailing me at work...I have no idea how he tracked down my email address, as they are supposed to be unpublished.  Scary what people can access about you with limited information.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

random facebook question - you used to be able to make yourself totally unsearchable, but when I went on recently to up my security, that didn't seem like it was an option now.  under the "who can search you" setting, it says, "Everyone" with a drop down menu... but when you try to "drop down" the only option is "Everyone".  anyone know about this?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Robin--thanks for the tip about Spokeo.  I'm not listed on there, but my husband is.  Do you know how one can remove/block one's info from this?  And how are they collecting this info?  If it's public records, someone's doing a crappy job b/c quite a bit of the info is off or incorrect.  Nevertheless, I'm as uncomfortable with incorrect info being available as I am with the correct info....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Correction--I am on there...twice...under my maiden name...and one of the listings has WAY MORE info than I'm comfortable with any random idiot knowing.  AND, there is a picture of the apartment building I used to live in along with the complete address!!!  This puts my MIL to shame!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Found it:  http://www.spokeo.com/privacy

There's also a link to another website called reputation.com which I heard advertised somewhere recently and it allows you to manage what info is available.  I haven't checked it out, yet...still trying to get rid of info about DH and I on Spokeo...but that's my next stop.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Daisy they get in from public records...I was on there twice so chek any names that you have used. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Do you need the directions?  I just emailed them to someone to remove their info.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Poppy--I think you have to go into your privacy setting and then click on "customize settings" down near the bottom.  It brings up all kinds of detailed questions and you should have more options.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: Facebook Vent:
    [QUOTE]Poppy--I think you have to go into your privacy setting and then click on "customize settings" down near the bottom.  It brings up all kinds of detailed questions and you should have more options.
    Posted by Daisy75[/QUOTE]

I did that actually... it's the ONE thing I don't seem to be able to change!  It's weird.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Ahhh I just went to that spokeo site and it's insane! Most of the info they have about me is wrong, but still. It was right at some point. DH is on there too with some wrong info, but it's pretty messed up that they have a photo of your house. Is this site run by sex offenders or something?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Hmmm....  I just looked at it and I get the same thing.  They used to have it so you could block non-friends from seeing your profile pic and so that you could prevent your profile from showing up when people search for you.  One of my cousins was on the state and national-level pageant circuit for several years and she had her profile set up that way....  I had to wait for her to invite me to be her friend.  I couldn't even click on her name on another relative's friend list.  There has to be something somewhere as there are people out there who legitimately don't want to be bombarded with friend requests from "fans" and stalkers and the like.  Can you send an email to FB to ask about it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Also make sure you to go to
    Account /> Apps, games, and web sites and disable the public search option so your page doesn't show up on google.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Leila, as for the creepy T guy e-mailing you, were you wearing your work badge that maybe had your name and a company logo on it? It wouldn't be hard to figure out your e-mail address based on that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OMG, Spokeo (and whatever other sites, I suppose) only allow you to remove 2 listings per email address.  You cannot simply click "remove" - it sends you a link to your email address that you have to then click on to get rid of the listing.  Well, that's fine and dandy if you've only had one name your whole life, but I've had 3, and there are a couple of listings each.  I guess I can create a bunch of gmail accounts, delete my spokeo listings, and then delete the gmails, but like Robin said, it's futile, anyway.  So, there it is.  How unsettling is that?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Kar--I signed up for reputation.com yesterday and had it do an initial search after I deleted myself from spokeo (For various reasons, I've accumulated 3 personal web-based email addresses and I have 2 work email addresses, so that wasn't an issue).  There was another person with a lot of hits with my name and I was able to click on a "not me" button for one of them and that got rid of the rest of them (it was obvious from the descriptions that they were all the same person...the hits all had the person's name spelled in alternating caps and lower case letters).  After that, it did another search and I wasn't turning up in the first 20 Google hits for my name.  There are some levels you can pay for and I didn't really look into that b/c I need to figure out what else it can do for free vs. what you have to pay for.  My main concern right now is that I'm planning to start actively job searching (for real this time...I've been saying that for a while now) in the near future and the last thing I want is for potential employers to be able to have such easy access to information that doesn't concern them (political affiliations, etc.).

I'm reasonably comfortable for now, but it's scary what's out there and I'll be much more vigilant going forward as far as searching for aggregator sites.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Daisy!  I'll sign up for that today.  I feel soooo out of control.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I checked on FB this morning. You can't block your profile picture (this is stated several times on the website, so choose one carefully), but you can block who can search for you and other things.

Privacy Settings -- /> Sharing on Facebook -- /> you can put "friends only" for everything (including photos and info) or customize it if you want others to be able to search for you and find only some info (like location or school, but nothing more).

Privacy Settings -- /> Connecting on Facebook -- /> you can set who can contact you, search for you, and so on. Their baseline or recommended for this is pretty loose. I have it set so only friends of friends can find and contact me (you can make it so only friends can search for you), but the default is everyone. You can also disable wall postings completely, so no one can post on your page.

HTH. I went through and checked all of this today, so you should be able to do the same.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Ditto what RedFish said.  You can also create groups of friends so you can get even more restrictive within the "Friends Only" setting.  I have some "friends" that I felt I had to connect with due to work or volunteer stuff, but I'm not super comfortable with them seeing pictures of DD, so I restricted that access.