February 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

February 2013 Pregnancy

Just posted about heartburn to January thread, realized we needed to start Februaury! :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February 2013 Pregnancy

Amy-Lynn, have you tried the papaya extract?  I really think that should help a lot, and to my knowledge no drug interaction or anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi everyone.  Sorry for everyone that is suffering heartburn.  I don't have any advice, just sympathy!

Hope you all fared okay in the storm.  We are all ok.  Still without electricity, so we are staying wtih my in-laws b/c the house is freezing.  I'm praying it comes back on today or tomorrow. 

With the blizzard, my fetal echocardiogram was cancelled because they were closing the clinic.  Luckily, they were able to fit us in for an 8:00am scan on Friday before the snow hit.  Thank God because I don't think I wanted that on my mind any longer.  And thankfully this little baby's heart is showing no abnormalities, which is a huge relief.  They spent a long time looking and taking pictures and the cardiologist said all looked normal.  Phew!

Happy February everyone!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

ALS - Glad your little one is doing great! What a relief! Are you done with the monitoring now or will there be more in the future?

SS - I just realized I missed your boy/girl announcement! Best of both worlds! Sorry to hear about the placenta previa. I hope you don't have any complications from it. When is your next ultrasound?

I had an ultrasound and my 1 hour glucose test last week. I was supposed to get the results at my appointment on Friday, but of course I had to cancel with the storm. My appointment is this afternoon instead. The ultrasound tech said that the placenta was nowhere near my cervix though so I'm thinking I'll hear at least one piece of good news today. The baby was face down, so while we got to see some awesome pictures of spine, we couldn't see any face. Figures!

Hope everyone else did okay in the storm! I felt like such a jerk sitting on the couch while DH was shoveling so much. Luckily my parents brought over their snowblower so he had a little help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Chiclet, my next ultrasound is March 4th so one month from last one.  Then I'll have them every 2 weeks going forward.  Kind of wish it was sooner though.  I felt awful laying on the couch by the fire while DH was out with the snow blower for hours too.  But we deserve it!    Hope you get great news all around this afternoon!

ALS, that's great news!  So glad the baby's heart is perfect :)

amy, I've been dealing with heartburn too which is so weird since I've never had it in my life before.  It's awful.  My OB said if I'm popping more than 4 tums everyday she'd put on on zantac but so far its been pretty inconsistent.  I probably get a bad case every other day so I'd rather stick with the tums since I figure the extra calcium can't hurt anyway.

Still nervous about the previa but it seems all I can do is take it easy and wait and hope it doesn't become an issue.  Anyone else having a hard time sitting up straight for long periods?  I have a desk job and am finding just the last week or so that I get some pain in my lower abdomen by the end of the day if I sit normally.  I'm pretty sure its nothing serious (seems like probably round ligament pain) since as soon as I move positions it goes away.  The problem is all I can do as an alternative at my desk is slouch which then gives me awful lower back pain at the end of the day.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Advice?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I really feel for everyone suffering heartburn.  Luckily mine has been more intermittent than daily, but I never knew before how truly excruciating it is.  Hope everyone finds something that works!  I never feel like Tums work for me.  But sometimes seltzer or eating a cracker seems to neutralize it somehow.

AFM, I am so emotional lately!  I actually kind of like shoveling (weird), and I was bummed to be inside with DD while DH was out shoveling, talking to the neighbors, et cetera.  (Although we did have a good time doing stuff.)  Then on Sunday when it wasn't so windy/cold, we all got bundled up to go play in the snow.  I was so excited, but when we got outside, DD didn't want to play in the snow at all and was being a serious pill.  When I sat in a snowbank, she started to cry, and then I started to cry!  And I knew it was not helping, but I couldn't stop myself.  I just wanted so much to have some time to do something I wanted to do and get some fresh air!  Luckily, DH remained calm so after a while he was able to distract DD and I got to lie in my snowbank and cry for a while, followed by everyone cheering up and having a good time.  DD still didn't want to do a lot with the snow, but she eventually loved walking between the high banks and visiting pretend snow houses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

aww, med - i'm sorry.  i feel you - kids can be so hot/cold with activities that we think are fun!  mine are totally love/hate of snow too - you're not alone.  i hate to think of you and DD crying in a snowbank!!!  :*(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Med - Sorry your snow plans didn't work out! It's so frustrating when you get all excited for something and your kid looks at you like you have 2 heads. I cry at some pretty random things too.

I had a great appointment yesterday. Ultrasound was good, growth is good, heartbeat is good AND I passed the glucose test by 1 point. She said there's absolutely nothing to worry about. When do you ever hear that? Very exciting! Now I just have to get through my baby shower this weekend. There's been a lot of planning drama and I'm kind of dreading it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, guys!  It WAS pretty pathetic!  Although funny in retrospect.  I think one reason I got so emotional was because not only would SHE not play in the snow, but she was getting all upset and crying that *I* was playing in the snow.  It was definitely a moment of I-want-to-do-something-fun-and-now-we're-going-to-have-another-child-and-I-never-get-to-do-what-I-want-to-do!!

And Stef - good to hear that your kids are not sure about snow either.  I feel like I was inundated on facebook with pictures of cute kids frolicking in the snow this weekend, and it was making me feel like we were a little bit weird.  Of course, people probably don't post the ones of crying in the snowbanks.  :)

Great news on your appointment, Chiclet!  Hope your shower is drama-free.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Oh Med, there were plenty of unhappy faces in snowsuits on my Facebook feed! :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

that's the problem w/ facebook.  people only post the best happiest most awesome versions of their lives - never the negative or even "ordinary" stuff.  my personal fave is all the happy babies on the beach.  DS hates the sand and is a total nightmare the whole time we're there!  ha - that was random, sorry for the h*jack!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

SS - congrats on your little boy and girl!

ALS - SO glad to hear your baby's heart is ok. What a relief.

Chiclet - congrats on passing the glucose test; glad everything looks great. I hope your shower goes ok -- I'm sorry to hear that there was drama in the planning, and that you are aware of the drama!

med - I had to chuckle picturing you crying in a snowbank. I hope you're feeling better!

I had my first midwife appt last week. I really liked her. And, my blood pressure was normal! However, even though my midwife believes that I have normal blood pressure (I showed her my bp log), she said I still have to have the extra ultrasounds, etc. because my old doctor wrote all over my chart that I have high blood pressure (and the midwife can't override the doctor). Oh well, I guess I will just try to look at it as an extra chance to see the baby. I also passed my glucose test, hooray.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Med - I am sorry you were crying in a snowbank!  My DD (2.5) is hit or miss with the snow.  One day she loved it and wanted to shovel with daddy - the next day she lasted all of 6 minutes.  Last winter was her first winter that she was walking and we were so excited to take her out in the snow (one of the only times it snowed last year!).  We got her all in her snowsuit and she was walking along gingerly like the stay-puft marshmallow man and feeling pretty proud of herself.  She was just about to decide that it was fun and crack a smile when our enthusiastic golden retriever came bounding up to her and just leveled her and she got a face full of snow.  Thank God we got it on video.  In hindsight, it was hilarious.  Sorry for the ramble - I guess my point was that sometimes these things that are supposed to be so fun just aren't! ;)

Sorry you are feeling emotional lately.  You are not alone.  I think this snowstorm and losing power for 3 days and being exhausted has taken its toll on me.  I just want to sit and cry sometimes too.

Chiclet - congrats on the glucose test.  I had to take the 3-hour test with my last pregnancy and it was a total pain.  Luckily that is behind you!!

jl- yay for the normal blood pressure!

ssbride - I have a desk job too and I find that being in any one position for too long is uncomfortable.  I guess my only advice is to try and get up and stretch and move around as much as you can.

As for me, glad the fetal echo is behind us and all looked normal.  Thanks for your support and encouragement!  Now we will just go on with our normal appointments.  Lots of monitoring from here on out given my history of pre-term labor with DD and this baby's 2-vessel cord.  The bright side is that just about every appointment will include an ultrasound which lets me see this little girl more often.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JL - I'm glad the midwife is working out better than your OB did! Is she more supportive of your desire for a med-free childbirth? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll ask about the papaya extract as well as other solutions when I meet with the NP. She is very supportive of both "traditional" and "alternative" solutions (She was the one who suggested accupuncture when DD was breech). I just want to be sure I don't take something that will interfere with the thyroid medication. 

ALS - glad everything is looking normal

ss bride - try to get up and change positions at least every hour. Also see if you can't get a stool or something to put your feet up on, under your desk. That might help keep you from scrunching over. I've also heard of women getting an exercize ball to sit on, that might make you feel better, even if you switch back and forth between a regular chair and the ball. (Of course if you have the tiny little cube/ open office so many people have, there might not be room for any of these ideas, but I hope you do)

Hope everyone else is doing well!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

This thread is cracking me up - glad to know I don't have the only snow-averse toddler, plus I keep laughing more and more at the thought of myself crying in the snowbank!

SS - do you have a laptop?  If so, I sometimes get up and put my laptop on the file cabinet or something to read e-mails for a little bit, generally while doing some sort of swaying or shaking a leg.  I look like a loon, but it seems to help.

JL - great appointment news!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Ladies, thanks for all the tips.  I ended up talking to my doctor about the cramping from sitting upright and she recommended starting to start winding down at work gradually since as the twins get heavier pressure from sitting and standing can cause the cervix to start shortening (which in my case could lead to both bleeding and PTL).  So I talked to my boss and can't believe how support he was.  I wasn't expecting a drastic change to my schedule yet but he insisted that I can start clustering meetings during a couple of set hours in the office and then just work from home the rest of the time.  So now I'm going in from 10-3 and just laying down to answer emails/calls from home in the mornings and late afternoons.  I'm so ecstatic that work is being so accommodating.  If I have to go on full bedrest (pretty likely with the twin and previa combo I have going) I'm pretty sure now they'll just let me work from home full time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

ssbride - that is so great that your boss is so supportive and you can work from home!  Wish I had your boss!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Can't believe today is 20 weeks!  So excited to be more than halfway through finally!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hey ladies! I don't want to officially join you over here because I'm only about 5 weeks, but I do have a question. I've had some overwhelming fatigue so far and a really stuffy nose (didn't know that was a symptom until recently) is making it difficult to sleep/breathe. What, if any, cold medicines have you taken? I heard that Tylenol is okay...regular Tylenol, cold and flu, etc? I've been suffering through it for the past week because I'd rather not take anything but it's taking a toll on me! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I was able to use regular strength sudafed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tylenol is rough on your liver which is already taxed with extra blood to filter.  I'd not take it if it were me no matter if it's approved by the FDA for pg or not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - Regular Tylenol, Tylenol PM and regular Sudafed are all on my list of safe meds that I got from the RE. The midwife just recommended not taking any of the multi-symptom meds like a cold and sinus.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Check with your Dr., but typically sudafed, tylenol, aspirin are OK.  Advil, Ibuprofen is NOT.

Sections
Shortcuts