February 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Re: February 2013 Pregnancy

Tylenol is fine.  Sudafed is on my list of approved meds as well. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

WPP, congratulations!  So excited for you.  I've had a bunch of colds, and in between I have pregnancy rhinitis so I've dealt a lot with having a stuffy nose so far this pregnancy.  My OB told me Tylenol Cold (the multisymptom one) was fine to take so I've taken that a few times when the symptoms were unbearable.  I'd check with your doctor though of course since I was already in my 2nd trimester when I took it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

WPP - Ask your doctor, I've been told sudafed is a no-no, but the expectorant in Robitussin and Mucinex is OK (Guafenesin, but I'm not sure I spelled it right). Also, the saline you spray up your nose. Tylenol is safe for preganancy, Aspirin, Ibuprofen abd Naproxen (Aleve) all work by the same mechanism, and can cause bleeding, so they are generally not recommended. 

Congratulations, and good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks, everyone! I had ablood draw to check HCG levels yesterday morning and was planning to ask when they called with the results but I haven't heard from them yet...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

WPP, hoping for a great rise report for you today!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

WPP - congrats!  Exciting news.  Sorry you are dealing with sinus congestion.  I've had that just about the whole pregnancy so far and other than regular strength tylenol, I've been avoiding all other meds just to be on the safe side.

Chiclet - how was your baby shower??

As for me, I had my 22 week ultrasound and appointment yesterday.  All looks good and baby girl is growing right on track, thank goodness!  The doctor also performed a fetal fibronectin test on me too, which came back negative (great news!).  I had no idea, but apparently fetal fibronectin is a sticky protein that your body produces to keep the baby in the womb.  It starts to leak out at the end of pregnancy.  It is used as a predictor of possible pre-term labor, which I had with my first daughter.  I want to get as close to full term with this one as I can!!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

ALS - Thanks for asking about the shower! It went off without a hitch (from my perspective anyway)! It was a little overwhelming. We got a lot of really nice things, but I got a little worked up because I felt like I was taking too long opening gifts and people were getting restless. I'm not very good with the whole center-of-attention thing. Now everything is sitting in my dining room. We really need to get the room painted so we can start putting things away.

I also had balloons in a box for my mom and MIL to unwrap for the gender reveal. It was exactly as I pictured it! We're having a BOY named Dominic! Everyone seemed to already know he's a boy so I feel like it was a little anti-climatic, but it was fun nonetheless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

ALS - I meant to add Congratulations on your positive ultrasound. It's good that your doctor is being pro-active about the preterm labor. I'm glad everything is checking out!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Chiclet - congrats on your baby BOY! Dominic is such a cute name. I'm glad your shower went well. Do you know what color you're painting his room? For our baby's room, we're keeping the walls yellow and doing a whale theme.

ALS - glad the ultrasound went well!

My shower is in CT on Sunday and I'm afraid people won't be able to come due to the snow. I'm flying in from the West Coast for the shower so I will be sad if I don't get to see a lot of people. But I don't want my friends and family risking life and limb to drive to the shower if the roads are bad. Fingers crossed the snow fizzles out by Sunday afternoon!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JL - I didn't think the snow was supposed to stick around Sunday afternoon. People will be so excited to see you that they won't care that it's snowy! 

We're doing a teddy bear theme in the baby's room (http://www.sweetjojodesigns.com/teddy-bear-chocolate-crib-baby-bedding.html). I'm thinking of picking up the caramel color of the valances. I have all these grand ideas about painting the top half solid and the bottom half with chocolate and blue stripes, but then, I'm not the one doing the painting, so I don't want to make it too complicated!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chicklet, I generally ask for what I want and make sure to add that I'd be happy, too, with less.  If you don't lay out your vision and get his input about its feasibility, you definitely won't get it, but if you ask you might, and he might love it so much he'll be glad you gave him such a wonderful idea for the paint.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Chiclet congrats on the baby boy! I like the name Dominic too. When's your due date?

jl, I heard the snow may fizzle to rain so hopefully that will help everyone get there. 

They called with my HCG results and the levels went from 198 on Saturday to over 1,300 on Tuesday! They scheduled an early OB u/s and followup with the RE for next Wed. I'll be six weeks...is that super early for an ultrasound? I thought they do them aroun 8-10 weeks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

That's a great number, WPP! I had my first u/s with the RE at 6 weeks + a few days, and we were able to see a tiny little bean in there. I think 6 weeks is early for someone who hasn't had any interventions or trouble and is just seeing an OB, but pretty standard for people seeing an RE. Having that early u/s reassured me so much -- I hope you feel the same reassurance.

Aw, teddy bears sounds so sweet, Chiclet! I'm sure the room will look great no matter what you end up doing with the paint.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

WPP, congratulations! Those sound like good numbers.

I worked with an RE had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks, and again at 10 weeks before I was released to my OB.

And just to warn you, it's an internal ultrasound that early, not on the belly. Totally worth it, it's so cool that we have pictures of my now 2.5 year old when she was just a teeny tiny cluster of cells.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, WPP - great numbers.  Good warning, ml, it is done with a wand that early.  Painless (unlike a PAP).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Am I the only one who yells at the TV when I see anything about pregnancy misrepresented? On the Parenthood finale when they did the ultrasound on Jasmine's belly? Yeah, that's not how they do it that early! Or a few weeks ago on Grey's Anatomy when Meredith felt the baby move for the first time and then EVERYONE could feel it? I think I spent weeks putting DH's hand on my belly and he didn't feel a thing but Derek felt it on the first night??? (Also, I clearly watch too much TV!)

WPP - I had ultrasounds at 6 and 7 weeks too. If you're lucky, they'll be able to measure the heartbeat, but the baby might be too small for them to see it. Don't panic if they don't catch it during the first ultrasound. If they don't see it, they'll measure the growth and have you come back in a week or so and check it again. As long as the baby is growing on schedule, it doesn't really matter if they can pick up the heartbeat this early. Good luck! I'm so excited for you!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Congrats on the baby BOY chiclet!  So exciting and such a cute name!  I like hearing everyone's nursery decorating ideas.  My DD's theme was purple and green with butterflies.  I'm going to carry that into her 'big girl' room since that is 'hers'.  I think I'll redecorate the nursery for this new little baby girl with ladybugs (either red or light pink).  The walls in there are a light green, so it won't require a new paint job.  No idea on this little girl's name yet.  DH and I have to get on that or it will sneak up on us.  DD didn't have a name for about 5-6 days after she was born.  The birth registrar kept stalking me in the NICU and I had to keep dodging her for days!

WPP - glad to hear that the numbers keep going up.  I've had early ultrasounds before and 6 weeks does not sound that early to me.  And like the others said, it will be a wand, not the other kind.  I was not prepared for that the first time and I was like "you want me to do what with that?"

jl- have fun at your shower this weekend.  I have faith that the weather won't be that bad.  Not sure about CT, but that may be out of the range of the heavy snow since I think this storm is more west and north (?).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Enjoying reading all this good news!  Congratulations, WPP!  And you, too, Chiclet!  I had to look at the teddy bear bedding, of course!  Very cute.  Pulling the yellow in the stars would be nice, too.  But I am in love with yellow.  :)

Our DD's room is not yellow, somehow.  (Maybe because we had already painted most of the other rooms yellow!)  It's aqua, and we never got bedding or curtains with any kind of theme.  We were somehow really blessed with gifts of pictures to hang on the wall.  Two of them evoke her name, one is something my friend made with her initials, and two are just random things but good for baby-to-big-girl.  Not sure what we'll do with the new baby!  He won't have his own room in our current place.  If we move, hopefully within the next year, I think I might keep DD's new room aqua, and do his room a very pale gray blue.  Alternatively, if we buy a place that has reasonably good paint colors already, we will be lazy and do nothing.

Anyone else considering a mini crib?  We are thinking of getting one because DD is very happy in her crib, still, and the mini crib would fit in our current bedroom and then in DD's room.  They make them that convert to twin headboard/footboard, so my thinking is that then DD can get a twin bed and the new kid could get the full size crib.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

hi everyone - belated congrats to WPP and glad for all the updates from everyone else!  :) 

i'm in the home stretch - c-section two weeks from today.  i have such mixed emotions.  is it possible for post-partum to come on early?  ;)  seriously though - i am so huge (cannot believe i had twins before!), feel so ugly and gross, dread that in 2 more weeks i'll be facing 4+ months of interrupted sleep, will be losing a lot of traction at work due to maternity leave, and basically will lose all level of independence i had regained after the twins.  not to mention the self-image problems due to the weight gain and post-baby lumpy phase, and the BF issue.  is this normal???  i'm thinking that maybe my experience with twins scarred me more than i thought. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think it sounds perfectly normal to dread having your body "all messed up," again, and in no way diminishes the fact that you are excited and looking forward to their arrival.  It's temporary - you will regain your shape, just give yourself time and freedom to be who you are right now for having had this traumatic and enormous physical demand put on your body to bring these babies to the world.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Chiclet, congrats on the boy!  Love the name!

WPP, I also had an ultrasound at exactly 6 weeks with my RE.  I was so used to that wand by that point with all my ivf ultrasounds that it didn't phase me.  Doesn't hurt so don't worry about that.  Also, like Chiclet said don't panic if they can't see or measure the heartbeat yet.  The tech warned me that it was so early that may be the case but we got lucky and got to see what looked to us like two blinking fireflies.  Its so early that literally the whole baby which is just a small dot in the sac looks like its blinking.  Totally awesome!  I also had a follow up ultrasound at the RE at 8 weeks (amazing what 2 weeks of growth does at that point) before graduating to the OB.

Stef, sorry I don't have any words of wisdom since I'm where you were before having the twins.  Just remember this stage is temporary.  You'll be back to where you were before this pregnancy before you know it, with one more beautiful baby in tow.

Love all the nursery ideas.  We've been struggling to find something appropriate for boy/girl twins.  Even though we have space we really want to have them in the same room the first two years for simplicity and plan to even put them in the same crib until they roll over.  I've read a lot about how twins do best this way since they were so used to being crammed up against their sibling in utero.  So while I love all the frilly girly stuff and adorable boy bedding we're leaning towards neutral at this point.  This is probably going to be it: http://www.skiphop.com/product/completesheet_giraffesafari.html.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congrats WPP! I had a 5w u/s which could only show gestational sac and yolk sac and then 7w u/a which showed a little bean with a heartbeat. At 6w, heartbeat can be hit or miss but they showade see a fetal pole. If it's too early for the heartbeat, they'll probably just ask you back in a week or so. 

chiclet-congrats on the boy. Glad the shower went well. 

Hang in there stef!

Our nursery has a bird, owl, tree woodland sort of theme. We initially were going for jungle but couldn't find girl bedding that we loved along those lines. I like what we have now though!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Stefani... I understand.  I have a lot of the same mixed emotions.  One thing that I keep telling myself that helps a little is that the teeny baby phase is short.  With my DD sometimes it just seemed so long - being out on leave was particularly tough.  I keep reminding myself that it will be over before I know it, so I hopefully will enjoy it more this time.

One thing that (might) help is reminding yourself you'll just have the one this time?  If your twins are still going to have their nanny or daycare, can you plan out some stuff to do that will be comparatively easy with just one baby?  Lunches?  Museums?  I know some of that is ambitious, but sometimes having stuff on the calendar keeps me focused.

Can you also ask your DH or a relative to keep an eye on you after the baby is born?  I plan to do this, and it makes me feel better to think that they will make sure I'm still functioning normally.  And I think I mentioned this on your BF thread, but make a plan for how long you can tolerate trying some of this stuff (like BF) before enough is enough.  If the plan is set ahead of time, it might feel both more tolerable while you're doing it, and easier to stop without guilt if it's not working out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Just popped over hear to read everyone's updates - so exciting!

Med - your story cracked me up. It's funny because it's true! My DD was rather a pill about the snow too - it took us longer to get all bundled up than the actual amount of time we spent outside. I totally get your fear - I sometimes have fits because I can never do what I want to do! Also, a friend of mine used a mini-crib with her baby - and they are still using it almost 2.5 years later! She has just recently said she thinks it's time to transition either to a large crib or a bed.

Stefani - I don't have twins, but I wanted to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much easier the newborn stage was with #2 than #1, even with some breastfeeding struggles and little sleep. Will you have help/childcare for your twins during those first few months?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Stefani, I know you are just venting and having those last minute freakouts that are totally normal. You have every right to vent, justifiably.

I just want you to know it's painful for someone like me to hear. I'd do anything to be in your shoes. Just wanted to give some perspective. Not trying to flame or upset you or anyone, just needed to vent a bit myself.