February 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: February 2013 Pregnancy

Thanks, everyone! I didn't realize this would be an internal ultrasound, but I've been doing them about three timespa week so whatever, lol.

All of the nursery ideas sound really cute.

I hope you feel better, Stef. You're almost there! 

DH and I are visiting a friend I NYC at the end of March. Another friend is coming from CA to Boston to go to NYC too (not sure why the triangulation) but she isn't speaking to me now BC I told her DH and I want to take the Acela instead of the Fung Wah or another crazy bus. It's too early to tell her I'm pregnant and don't want to ride the crazy bus, but im annoyed that she's being a jerk about this. Oh well. I'll tell her when we're in NYC and she can feel bad about it then. Maybe that's mean but I think her hissy fit is stupid.

Also, I feel like I'm starting to show, which I realize is crazy. I'm very small and have been noticing a pooch that wasn't there before.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Please excuse my lurking here today... it's been a slow day at work. 

Stefani - I just wanted to post that I totally get how you are feeling.  I can clearly remember the dread I felt as a dropped my DD off at daycare before my c-sec for DS.  I broke into tears as I said goodbye.  I mean, who in their right mind looks forward to tending to a infants needs 24-7 for 1 year?  Maybe the dread is even worse when you know what you're in for!  I'm not sure.  But, on the bright side, they're only a baby for a year and that's really not that long in the grand scheme of things. Good luck!

ML - I'm sorry.  Hugs!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, it's not crazy, but it's not baby yet, either.  It's hormonally driven bloating that is causing your pooch.  As the baby grows, the bloating will give way to a true "baby bump," but in the meantime your pants won't know the difference, and you might feel more comfortable with a waist extender they sell at Joann Fabrics.

Trouble, it does fly - I know I don't have first hand knowledge, but my friend's triplets are 8 months already, and she is seeing the end of the baby tunnel.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Stefani, I think you have every right to feel the way you do and it's great you are able to identify and articulate these feelings. I didn't have twins with my first but I definitely felt very nervous about having another bABy. I was worried about lack of sleep, Breastfeeding and everything else that comes with having a newborn and I felt sad for my DD1 that i would have less time to spend with her. I think all of your fears are totally normal. My DD2 is now 6 months old and, while the past few months were very challenging, they went by so quickly and I am seeing the light at the end of the newborn tunnel. I think it does go faster the second time around and I think it will be much easier for you this time only having one baby to deal with. If I were you id try to set up childcare for the twins for one or two mornings a week so you can spend time with the new baby. You will definitely enjoy maternity leave more this time with just one baby to worry about. Good luck! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - Thought about you today when I heard the news about the Fung Wah getting shut down. Hopefully that's enough to shut your friend up.

JL - I hope your shower went well!

Has anyone done research on baby monitors or crib mattresses? I thought I had my heart set on the Angel monitor but I've read that the video isn't great. My aunt got us the Summer Day and Night monitor but the screen is huge. That would be nice for our bedroom but I'd like to be able to put it in my pocket and walk around with it. As for the mattress, we registered for a Simmons one that flips over for the toddler bed but it's $250. I'm sure we can get one cheaper, just not sure what the best options are.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

WPP, I thought of you, too, when I read about the Fung Wah!  :)  On a more practical note, can you frame it as, "I'm more comfortable right now with the train, but I totally understand if you don't want to.  Would you like to see how we can work out the logistics of you taking the bus and meeting up when we get there?"  Maybe she thinks the train is too $$$?  Just a thought.

Chiclet - we just bought a random mattress at the store where we bought the crib.  But I have since heard that Ikea has good prices on the ones without the flame retardant chemicals.  I have never actually made the trek, so not sure if they have them at all stores.  We don't have a video monitor so I don't have an opinion about that, but I will say that I never carried our monitor around as much as I thought I would.  I didn't find it necessary unless I was actually going outside or something, or doing something loud like showering or vacuuming.  (Who am I kidding, I never vacuum!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

WPP, hope everything goes well at your ultrasound today.  Good luck and keep us posted!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck WPP!

Chiclet - we have the Motorola video monitor and really like it.  Unfortunately the camera on it malfunctioned so they are currently sending me a new one but until that issue happened we hadn't had any complaints.  At the moment I'm borrowing an audio monitor and man do I miss the video monitor.  Can't wait until it's back!  As for a mattress we selected a Sealy Baby Firm matress on Amazon for about $80. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Just wanted to update everyone on my heartburn issues. I had an appointment about a week and a half ago, and after a good discussion with the NP, decided that starting Zantac was the way to go for me. I am feeling SO much better! I started feeling relief from the heartburn after the first day, but it took about a week of being exhausted to catch up on the sleep. I don't think I had realized just how much the inability to sleep well had taken out of me. 

I hope everyone else is doing well!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Amy-Lynn, glad you're feeling better! Anything that disrupts sleep is a killer.

I had my ultrasound and follow-up with the RE today. They saw a gestational and yolk sacs and dated me at 5w3d, so they said everything they saw is normal. I go back in two weeks, at which point they said we should see a heartbeat. If that appt goes well I graduate to OB! I really want the next two weeks to fly by now. Oh, and they set my due date for October 27!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

congrats wpp.  fall b-day would be nice!

is anyone on here who's on their 2nd (or more) baby and having (or had) a c-section?  for some reason i'm starting to get really apprehensive about the c-section, which is weird b/c i didn't get nervous for it at all the first time, and had no complications... i think just knowing what it's like (i mean - eew - slicing me open!) is freaking me out?  any tips - do i just need to put mind over matter here?  ugh!!!  i think i'm in general just losing it in the end game... YEESH.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Stefani,

I'm having #2 and a repeat c-section. But I would never have tried a vbac, since my DS was almost 11 lbs and 16 days late. I am happy to have a date for DD's arrival, so I can plan for DS and he can be prepared for his sister's arrival. And my DH is much calmer this time around knowing when DD will arrive. But I had serious surgery last year and compared to that I am not worried about this surgery.

I'm having a harder time not worrying that some will be wrong with DD, than I was with DS. Which I know is not rational but I can't help it.

SAW :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

WPP, that's great news!  Hope the next two weeks fly by for you too.

Stef, can't comment on having a c-section the second time around, but I know I'm having one for this first pregnancy.  Just the idea of it freaks me out even though I know plenty of people who've had one and said it was a piece of cake.  Definitely nervous already about it and know I will be more so as I get closer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Stef - I don't have personal experience, but I don't think you're being irrational. DH's sister and cousin were talking the other day about their c-sections (both unplanned) and had similar sentiments that you're having. I think it's just that you know what to expect and you have time to actually think about it. If I knew I had to have a c-section, I'd be a wreck. (I think we all know how much I hate all things medical related.) But, like SS and SAW mentioned, there are plus sides to being able to plan, you won't have to deal with a lot of the uncertainties or a vaginal delivery and you'll have more time to recover with the nurses' help.

WPP - Glad your ultrasound went well! You're used to the 2ww by now, so hopefully this one flies by! :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

WPP - I'm so happy your u/s went well!

Amy-Lynn - glad to hear the heartburn in under control finally.

Chiclet - I'm interested in mattress recommendations as well. And what about waterproof mattress covers? I think I read that they increase the risk of SIDS, so I'm thinking of not getting one.

My shower was great! It ended up not snowing at all in CT, so everyone was able to make it. Since I live so far away from most of my close friends and family, it really meant a lot for me to be able to celebrate my pregnancy with them. Now I feel more prepared as far as baby stuff goes, but I am getting kind of scared about the huge life change that is going to occur in the next 9 or so weeks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--glad the u/s went well!  Hope you see a healthy heartbeat in 2 weeks.  The first trimester is a lot of waiting.  But it helps to have it broken up by testing and ultrasounds and stuff.  I would take it (mentally) in blocks between appointments, so I didn't have to think of the whole thing stretching out in front of me.

We ended up buying a Naturepedic organic mattress because it was discounted when bundled with our crib purchase.  No review of the product yet, obviously!  I hadn't heard about mattress pads and SIDS, but we had planned to get a Naturepedic waterproof mattress pad too... I know the mattress is also waterproof, but the idea of wiping it down and not being able to wash it just seems weird to me.  I don't know...   

JL--glad the shower went well!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Congrats WPP! Good luck in 2 weeks!

Amy Lynn, that's great the Zantac is helping! My midwife recommended the same thing when I brought up my heartburn. Luckily, mine has subsided over the last couple weeks, but it is good to know it works for you. 

JL, I have never heard of mattress pads being connected to SIDS. And I will say that the one I used with DD was very helpful. Babies can make a lot of messes in their cribs, especially when a stomach bug hits, so it was really nice to be able to just throw the mattress pad in the washing machine.

AFM, just feeling more and more uncomfortable at 33 weeks. The end-of-pregnancy insomnia has started up too. Every second or third night I find mysel awake for long stretches at night. Any tips? This started much later in my pregnancy last time around.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes... yes.  Just in the last week, I am having tons of trouble sleeping.  It's so annoying.  I was hopeful that it was temporary, but so far it is ongoing.  Definitely taking off some blankets has helped, even though I feel chilly at first, I don't wake up all sweaty.  But other than that I'm at a loss.  It's very annoying because I'm definitely tired the next day.  Let me know if you find any solutions!  For me, I can't tell if it's psychological or due to physical discomfort.  I'm definitely thinking about baby/family/life anxiety when I'm awake during the night.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Memes and Medford, around that point in my pregnancy I ended up adding an additional pillow under my head and it made a huge difference.  I think it was a combination between helping me breathe a little easier and making me a little more comfortable.  I use to wake up often because I was in an uncomfortable position and couldn't freely move around in my sleep like before.  Good luck in the home stretch!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I've recently had to flip my Snoogle Mini around to get it more under my belly while I'm sleeping. I had been sleeping with it between my legs to support my hips, but I'm finding that my back is sore, particularly the side that I don't sleep on. Maybe a second pillow around your belly will help? I'm not walking up through the night too often, but I am finding it harder to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. I've been trying to use that time to practice my breathing and relaxations I learned in class. (You know, since I'm not practicing them during the day!)

I've been so hungry this last week. I don't know if I'm just recovering from the stomach bug I had the week before or if this little one is having a growth spurt, but I feel like I'm eating everything in sight. I've been trying to eat bigger lunches so I don't spend the whole day hungry. I can't remember being hungry like this before.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Chiclet, there's amuscle in your low back called the QL that runs diagonally from your spine to your pelvis. When you sleep on your side, you tend to roll forward, which engages the QL. Try another belly pillow and maybe one between your knees to align your spine. You'll be in a pillow cocoon but you'll feel better! You could also get your DH to gently massage along your lower spine (fingers or knuckles).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I have no problem getting comfy and falling asleep initially - but then I wake up later UN-comfy and I'm in such a pillow cocoon that it's a major orchestration to move everything around and get comfy again on the other side.  By the time I've rearranged the 47 pillows, I'm wide awake.  I basically feel like my pelvis/hips are coming unhinged.

Hope everyone is doing well!