February-Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: February-Pregnancy

Congrats, tc!!!  Guess your little guy was modest in the ultrasounds?  LOL!  

I'd opt to get the minor surgery for a baby who's tongue tied especially if it's interfering with my bf'ing him.  It sounds challenging enough as it is!

Re exclusively pumping, I just learned from a friend preparing for triplets that if you exclusively breast feed for too long the supply diminishes because apparently your body knows the difference between a pump and baby and responds differently.  Just fyi since neither she (a mother of a breastfed two year old) nor I had ever heard that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Congrats TC on your LO!  What a great name Jack!

My niece was tongue tied and my SIL refused to let them snip it after being born but later she still had to have it done and I think it was probably worse than it would have been when she was just born.  I forget when they ended up havign to get it done though.  I have heard it can affect things other than bfing later on.   GL!!

This pregnancy seems really slow at times but then I feel like it is flying by!  26 weeks tomorrow!  The LO is moving a lot...more so than I remember DS moving but I wouldn't say it is a ton.  I love the movements though!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

tc- I am a NICU nurse and most of our moms exclusively pump because their baby's are premature.  You certainly can go this route, but it is difficult and not as "easy" as BFing.  Any way you can get human milk to your baby though is really all that matters nutritionally.  Have you checked out kellymom.com?  They are like a bible of resources, esp in the beginning when everything is new! http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bfhelp-tonguetie.html That link should help you get started on info!!  Good luck, and congrats on your new bundle of joy! I hope he likes pink onesies lol :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Thanks ladies, I'll check out that kellymom website. We have a pedi appointment tomorrow so I'll see what she says about the tongue tie issue. I've read that it can affect speech later if it's severe enough but that many just resolve which is why some doctors won't do the procedure at all. I want a crystal ball so that I'll know that having it done will resolve his latching issue rather than putting him thru it and not getting any benefit from it.

Also- to clarify- we didn't find out the baby's gender while I was pregnant as we wanted to be surprised.  Because of my age, I had loads of ultrasounds but the techs were great about not revealing anything. For some reason though, both DH and I thought girl from the very beginning (so much for intuition!) but I'd only purchased neutral clothing. So little Jack is wearing lots of white and yellow but I now add his new Patriots bibs to get a little blue in there : )

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

tc--DS#1 was born with a tongue-tie. We had it snipped when he was about 4 weeks old. It was really a non-event. It was one tiny snip. DH held him while the doctor made the cut. There was only a drop or two of blood. We fed immediately after and he fell asleep during that feed. There were absolutely no after-effects. I don't know where you are but our ENT was Rebecca Stone at Boston ENT (out of Faulkner Hospital). She was WONDERFUL. Her baby was only a few months older than DS, so she was very supportive and extremely gentle.

If you went back to the December thread, you saw my EPing story. I would highly recommend doing whatever you can to get your baby to latch asap. Being able to bf with #2 has made life with an infant so much easier. Plus, my supply is much higher being able to bf whenever I am home with DS. A baby is much more efficient than a pump, plus infant suckling stimulates production in a way that a pump won't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Kiwi- thanks for the info, that's reassuring to hear there were no after effects.  I just found the paper from our LC and Rebecca Stone is the name we were given but the location is in Needham so it must be her office.  So glad to hear you liked her, that's a huge help.  I think I'm already learning that a pump is less effective- it seems like my supply is dropping after only 2 days and I think I've got a blocked duct.  For a natural process, b-feeding sure is tricky...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Random question to throw in here- if you get one of those crib soothers that attaches to the side of the crib, do you also need a mobile?

Just realized we registered for a soother but not a mobile, and I'm not spending the $62 that Pottery Barn Kids charges for the coordinating mobile for our bedding....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

You don't really NEED either.  But if you might want it, register for it and see if someone gets it for you.  If they do, great.  If not, don't buy it yourself.  It's up to you.  Our DD never really was into the mobile, but she went down pretty quickly on her own.  I have a friend with a DD who doesn't fall asleep very quickly and she's found the crib soother (the kind with the setting where the baby can kick or move and it lights up/makes noise for a few seconds) has been a lifesaver while sleep-training. 

There are definitely cheaper mobiles out there.  The only reason to buy the 62$ one is if you REALLY cared about it matching the bedding.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Kiwi.. thanks for the info on the tongue tie.  We are struggling with the same decision.  DD is 4 weeks old and is struggling with weight gain (only ~0.5lb above birth weight) and the LC thinks that a posterior tongue tie (minor) is probably why.  She is able to latch but it takes her a lot more energy to eat then it should.  Right now we have two options.  1.  get the tongue tie clipped and hopefully get her eating more efficiently or 2. (what I'm currently doing) pump in addition to feeding her and supplement 8-12 oz of pumped milk each day to bump up her intake

I don't mind pumping and it has actually been a good thing to be motivated to start pumping and doing the bottle thing before I go back to work BUT it would be nice to get her gaining weight so we can all stop obsessing over what she is eating.  If this weren't my first and I was also having to chase around a toddler, I probably would have already been using formula because the whole having to nurse the baby (30-40 mins), pump (10mins), and then feed a bottle (10mins) and repeat every 2 hours is killing me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

TC - If it turns out he's not tongue tied, you could also ask the LC about using a nipple shield.  DD couldn't latch without it - she would squish my nipple until it cracked and bled - so I tried it after a week.  After about 3 months, she didn't need it anymore.  Good luck to you and Bostongrl too!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

tc- congrats on jack's arrival!!

Re the tongue tie- a lot of it has to do with your pediatrician. DS had one as well. In addition to latching, it can affect eating (moving food around later) and speech production. The less it affects the earlier issues (e.g., if the baby can latch) the less likely it is to need treatment.  DS had no problems with latching, and it has loosened over time. However, he is now having problems with speech... so who knows.

however, that said, most SLP's will recommend having it clipped, whereas pediatricians will say to wait (there was a great research paper on it). my ped told me that we could always clip it in the office later if we needed to, which was totally not true. so my thinking is the earlier the better, by an ENT.

ps. the kellymom website is awesome. and as someone who pumped for a year as a working mom, the fact that I got to BF at home made it so much easier. I admire people who exclusively pump.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

When does pregnancy start to not feel like it is dragging?! Just a question :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Haha, Liz. Good question!!  For my first, it totally dragged the entire time UNTIL my water broke at 37 weeks and all of a sudden I was on my way to the hospital.  I kept saying "I was supposed to have three more weeks!"  For my current PG, it is feeling like it is going way too fast.  But I think that has more to do with the fact that I have a toddler at home to distract me from obsessing over this pregnancy, and that there are so many things I want to get done and things I want to do with my DD alone before a newborn arrives this summer.

re Pumping - I totally hated it!  I nursed my DD for 13 months but I only pumped for about 9 months. After 9 months I used up my freezer supply of bmilk and supplemented my DD with a bottle or two of formula a day on the days I was working.  I can confirm that its true that your body responds differently to a plastic pump than to a baby - my DD typically drank 4-5 oz of milk from a bottle when she was at daycare and I'm sure that's what my breasts were giving her when I was nursing because when she was done nursing she was full.  But when I pumped I would maybe get 2-3 oz on a good day.  It was so frustrating, hence my hatred of pumping! For anyone who exclusively pumps - I have utmost respect for you.  It's TOUGH!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Tc - Congratulations on baby Jack!

Liz - I think the experience is different for everyone. As someone who's had a fairly uneventful, problem-free pregnancy (aside from standard fatigue, aches, and pains), it has dragged less as it's gone on longer. The first tri felt like FOREVER because I felt so icky and worried all the time, the second felt like a lot of waiting for milestones (finding out gender, feeling first kicks) but didn't drag so much. The third tri has been great for me (I am SURE others would give a different account). Other than wanting to be done with work and feeling like my job is an annoying distraction from focusing on the baby, I haven't felt it drag. That said, now that I'm entering the final weeks, I think I'm going to get really impatient to meet this little guy, so it may start dragging more.

Speaking of standard aches and pains, my only one right now is heartburn but it is really getting annoying. I take 2 Ranitidine a day but by the time I can take another pill the heartburn has usually flared up again. I feel like my stomach is stuck between my lungs. My dad suggested Prilosec, which I think my doc said was ok (I'll double check at my appt this week). Has anyone used Prilosec?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

tc - congrats on baby Jack!  Glad everyone is healthy, but sorry about the b-feeding troubles.  The girls here gave great advice as usual.  I hope it gets easier.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations, TC.  Welcome baby Jack!

Apparently the LO was pretty upset by the outcome of last night's game.  As soon as I got in bed I had a few swift kicks to the bladder that sent me running for the bathroom.  I was scared I was going to wet the bed! Although, I understand the LO's frustration, I considered kicking things too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Liz- I can't remember how far along you are, but when I started getting a lot of movement I felt like it went faster- or maybe it was just a more awesome feeling of being connected to the LO (rather than barfing).

mid way through your second trimester, when most people have told everyone, you are clearly showing, and you have to start squishing everything in on the weekends (picking out furniture, having stuff delivered, birthing classes, getting car seats installed, etc.) I felt like the pace picked up. particularly as I had to schedule that around ice cream runs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

TC -  Congrats on little Jack!  What a cute name! 

clc-your funny.  I think a lot of people were upset about the outcome of last nights game.  I woke up this morning in a bad mood about it but am kinda getting over it. Just dont want to hear/read anything more about it.

Tommorrow my puppy is getting spay.  Im nervous for her.  They said she cant have anything to eat in the morning.  That isnt going to go over really well, if anyone knows about pugs and their food! hahaha.  She already wakes up 1/2 hour before the alarm goes off! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Getting spayed was the least of Gracie's medical issues - really no big deal, although, I was a nervous wreck.  She's a Lab and loves her food, too.  If you end up needing a cone, get the ComfyCone.  It's flexible and soft, but effective.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Yeah, I think that because I can't feel it and that I am feeling pretty normal, it still does not feel real to me.  I guess when I find out the gender, in 3 weeks, it will feel more real? I hope so!!

Pugs, good luck with the spaying. I am sure everything will turn out all right :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Getting spayed was the least of Gracie's medical issues - really no big deal, although, I was a nervous wreck.  She's a Lab and loves her food, too.  If you end up needing a cone, get the  ComfyCone .  It's flexible and soft, but effective.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kar!  The ComfyCone looks way more comfy than the plastic one they give you.  Although Buddy didnt have a cone after he was neutered.  I guess we will find out when we pick her up tomorrow night.  Poor thing :(

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

pugs ... ask to have the surgical site glued rather than stitches.  My older pug had stitches and bit at them constantly therefore requiring a cone.  My younger pug/terrier had the glue and never once bothered her surgical site.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy : Thanks Kar!  The ComfyCone looks way more comfy than the plastic one they give you.  Although Buddy didnt have a cone after he was neutered.  I guess we will find out when we pick her up tomorrow night.  Poor thing :(
    Posted by pugslove[/QUOTE]

You're welcome!  Actually, I recommend having a ComfyCone on hand as part of a first aid kit for everyone with a dog - you never know when they're going to step on something or otherwise need to keep their tongues off a wound.  It was a lifesaver after her knee surgery because she insisted on being in her crate most of the time for the first 2 weeks post-surgery, and the hard plastic one was a nightmare.  And, she ripped off a toenail after her surgery and we used the CC, again, to keep her from chewing at the bandage.  I'm sure we'll need it again at some point - she's accident prone!

As for the spaying, though, she had staples and didn't touch them once; she didn't need a cone for that, but some dogs do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Pugs--I have two pugs too (both males)! Our biggest problem with getting them neutered was licking each other's stitches. And we couldn't keep a cone on Gizmo because it paralyzed him with fear. Poor guy couldn't walk with it but he wasn't really interested in licking himself so it turned out not to be necessary.

Good luck with the spay (I'm sure it'll be fine!) and give her a delicous peanut butter kong afterward!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Thanks for the advice ladies. Our pediatrician disagreed with the LC and said Jack doesn't look tongue tied to her.  So, we'll try again with the shield and keep pumping besides until he gets the hang of latching.  Also on the plus side today, he'd gained lots of weight since the last appt. Fram, that's good to know that your LO was able to lose the shield after awhile- I was a little afraid he'd be stuck with it indefinitely.

Good luck Boston with your DD and making a decision. For what it's worth, I was completely against clipping under DS's tongue at first but I've now heard from several people (including the pediatrician, whose child needed the procedure) that it really isn't bad and they get over it very quickly. Though I'd get multiple opinions to be sure it was really necessary.

Arcain- I took Prilosec for the last month or so of my pregnancy. It helped much more than Pepcid which I'd been taking for months. Hope it works for you!

Sections
Shortcuts