February-Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: February-Pregnancy

Arcain, my self-induction story, plus added things I've heard from other people that also have a reputation for working:

Nipple stimulation.
    When we went to our birthing class at isis we went to the natural childbirth class, that spent more time on breathing exercises, glossed over epidural/csection stuff.  The lady was a midwife/doula and swore by nipple stimulation, though she added the caveat that it had been shown in studies to produce stronger contractions (like pitocin), therefore more painful, but I figured since it was my first I wouldn't know the difference.
    I really wanted to have a natural birth and my cardiologist was giving me grief about letting things go much past my due date.  My OB was supportive, but as the time got closer she was more hesitant to commit to staying with our birth plan.  I had a routine appointment 3 days before my due date and my cervix was dilated only 1cm and was having no braxton-hicks.  My doctor said she was leaving for a family vacation to Aruba the next day but there was no way I'd be having the baby in the next week, and we'd probably have to induce when she got back. 
    So, I was hell-bent on inducing myself haha.  I am a walker and was walking 3-4 brisk miles a day (lots of hills on my route) already.  They way walking really helps.  I don't know if the walking helped.  Like I said, I walked every day through my pregnancy so it's not like it was a difference. 
    I had a lot of red raspberry leaf tea, which the Isis lady said helped more with uterine toning than anything else.  Some online sources claim it helps with induction. 
    Nipple stimulation was the thing that got me going. According to a friend that works as a labor and delivery nurse, nipple stimulation by another person is more effective.  As fun as this sounds, I can attest to the fact it gets boring after a while haha.  Also, it works after a LONG time.  But anyway, on my due date I just sat and watched TV with my feet up and went to town.  I definitely got a few contractions in the evening and got all excited and went to sleep.  The next day, nothing, so I went at my nipple again in the morning and by noon I had regular, hourly contractions.  Very exciting.  They got closer and closer as the day progressed and we figured we'd be heading to the hospital that night.  When I attempted to go to sleep they were about 8 minutes apart, regular.  Then they slowed down in the AM to about 45 minutes apart (probably because I was tired from not sleeping because of my 7 min-apart contractions all night).  I went on a walk, raked out the garden, and then after lunch DH volunteered to help me out with my nipples. Like 10 minutes after starting, contractions jumped from what had been consistently 40 minutes apart to 10 minutes apart again.  We kept going and they got closer and closer and stronger and stronger. 
    Next time we stopped they didn't slow down.  My water broke around 4 PM and we headed in to the hospital. 
    Anyway, so I swear by nipple stimulation for inducing labor, based largely on the fact that every time I stopped doing it labor slowed and every time I started again labor resumed intensity.  Also, they had on my chart that I had only been dilated to 1cm a few days before so when they went to do the pelvic exam at the hospital they were like "don't be disappointed if it's only 2cm" but it was already 5cm!
    I did overhear an intern ask a nurse at one point if I had had pitocin after he looked at my machine's readout and saw what the contractions looked like--so maybe they were stronger than they would have been? 
    Anyway, we got that baby out while my OB was in Aruba haha.  So much for all the work finding an OB I liked and had a good relationship with :)

I've heard sex helps.  I've heard spicy food can help, though I had such crazy spicy food cravings when Iw as pregnant that I would have induced labor at 5 months if that were true for everyone.  A lot of people swear by pineapple.  I have never heard of ANYONE who has taken castor oil and has not gone into labor.  HOWEVER, castor oil is nasty and leads to horrible explosive painful gassy diarrhea (and labor).  granted, I had horrible diarrhea for most of my labor so maybe that's going to happen no matter what. 

Good luck!  Remember it's not the end of the world if you have to induce.  There are lots of ways to get your baby.  If the birth doesn't go as planned it will all work out and be fine and you'll get to meet your baby at the end of the day, no matter how s/he got out! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Arcain, I also had a pedicure the night I went into labor, I ate pineapple as well which is supposed to do somethin, too.  Had the pedicure at 6, started feeling the contractions at 8:30.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I tried everything, too, but still never went into labor on my own...nipple stimulation definitely gave me instant braxton-hicks, but they never amounted to anything.  Ate pineapple until my tongue bled, walked, had a pedi, ate spicy foods...actually I didn't try the castor oil... I ended up being 12 days late...DS was just not interested in vacating!

And Arcain, I also wanted a "natural" birth, but ended up needing 2 doses/days worth of misoprostyl and pitocin.  But it IS possible to make it through pitocin-induced contractions without the epidural!  (I have "natural" in quotes because I don't consider my labor/delivery natural since it wasn't unmedicated...I had misoprostyl, pitocin and nubain (narcotic to take the edge off).  But I am darn happy I was able to resist getting the epidural!  (Only because the idea of needle in the spine scared me more than the idea of pushing a baby out...!) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Poppy - No fair! I also had my ERA at maternal/fetal med. dept. at Newton Wellesley and they never even offered to guess on the gender! I totally would have taken them up on it too :)   I'm 14 weeks and seriously cannot wait to find out the gender at my 18 week appointment. 

For my first DD, my water broke while I was changing the sheets on our bed.  You can bet that I'm going to be changing the sheets on our bed ALL THE TIME once I hit 38 weeks with this pregnancy, lol!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Has anyone tried massage to induce labor?  I had a 1 1/2 hour prenatal massage this weekend (best Christmas present ever, thanks DH) and I asked how late in the pregnancy they did massages.  She said they would work on me as long as I was comfortable and that if I was late to come back and "they would massage that baby right out of me."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

clc, I could sure use a massage right about now! I pulled my back pretty bad picking my 2 year old nephew up yesterday! I also know that they can actually use massage to help get labor going.

Saturday night I went out with my friends to a Mexican restaurant and as much fun as I had, it was still hard to watch everyone enjoy margaritas and mojitos! I got a virgin margarita and it was gross!

I am showing for sure now and Friday was my last day in regular jeans. I guess I am happy that I made it to 16 weeks. And, man are these maternity pants comfortable! I went out with DH yesterday and it was the first time someone sort of mentioned something about my pregnancy and I didn't mind. There is no hiding it now!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Arcain- I don't think that my story is going to help you- but I had one high blood pressure reading toward the end of my pregnancy (no chronic issues) and they started to pressure me to induce, even though my next reading was fine.   I made it one more week (after begging) and was induced at 39 weeks. and my induction was awful.  in my conversations with my new ob, she said they will not mess around with high blood pressure. period. if I have another high reading toward the end she will be pressuring me into induction.  thankfully, I had a few "hopes" but not a lot of wishes or plans for delivery. that worked to my advantage. I also just kept making my wishes known- in order to go one more week, I had to capture pee for 24 hours (not easy when almost 9 months pregnant).  SO I would encourage you to keep pushing what you want and asking questions about options.  Ultimately, thought, I have to admit I went with what the physician said. Regardless of my hopes for labor-similar to what lissa said- I wanted to have a healthy baby. and I was so paranoid about that.  but after reading all of these postings, I may be trying a bunch more things- despite the heat- in early august to get the show on the road.

AFM- I am 12.5 weeks and we have started to tell some close family. we have been very clear that we haven't told everyone and would prefer they don't share, etc. however, my MIL has already called all of her family, half of who have since called us to say congratulations.  I really hate it when other people don't respect your wishes- I had to make several calls this weekend to make sure it didn't show up on facebook before we told the rest of our families and close friends.  oh- and she has already started coming up with a list of names.  I am trying to not let it run my excitement about moving into the second trimester...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Rama - I had dinner with a friend who is also pregnant and goes through NWH, and also didn't have a doc at MFM offer to guess the gender!  Maybe they only do that when the baby is in a certain position??  I am not sure...

Arcain - A pedi is soooo nice at that point, even if it had nothing to do with my labor.  :)  Sorry about the hypertension issues you're dealing with.

Liz - I also went out with friends on Saturday night (first night up past 11 in a long time, not counting being woken by baby!) and asked the bartender to make me a "preggertini". :)  He made some really refreshing concoction of cucumber water, lime juice, cranberry... not sure what else.  Delicious!  Luckily, 3 of us in the group are pregnant so I wasn't alone.  But ditto on the virgin margharitas - not very tasty!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm really sorry that happened to you, Winter. Don't let MIL ruin this special time for you and DH.  You may need to filter what information you give her from here on out and I would keep that in mind if you and DH decide to have a 3rd.  But for now enjoy your move to the second tri! Congratulations!

AFM, DH and I are doing a stay-cation/babymoon next week.  He's a school teacher so he's on February break and I took the week off to spend it with him. We are trying to save money so decided to do a few day trips rather than going away and use some of the time to prep the baby's room.  Last night he suggested we also pack the hospital bag and do some dry runs to figure out the right route to the hospital.  I'm 23 weeks! I laughed at him and suggested we could wait a little longer on both of those items.  I love him dearly but he's going to drive me nuts when we get closer to the end!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Tang - Thank you for our input.  I received the ok from my doctor and she said Im able to travel until mid-3rd trimester.  She advised me to get up and walk and my sure that I am hydrated!  Good to hear to the same advise from you :)

I couldnt sleep last night and dont think Ill be able to for the next 2 nights because we find out the gender on Wednesday!  I am just so excited!  Hopefully the baby will cooperate because we invited our parents and siblings over for pizza and cup cakes.  When they bite into the cup cake they will know the gender by the color of the frosting!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Note on the hypertension question:
    I have BP on the higher range of normal when I'm not pregnant, and with my last pregnancy, had some real hypertension starting around 25 weeks.  It was controlled with a really low dose of labetylol, and meant that I had some extra monitoring in those last weeks.  I never had protein in any of my tests, so it wasn't any sort of pre-eclampsia, but it did reregulate after the baby was born. 

The biggest thing that it meant for me was that I had 2 extra ultrasounds and 2 non stress tests that probably otherwise wouldn't have been scheduled. 

So far with this pregnancy, BP is good (100/70 last visit!!), and I've been keeping a lower-sodium diet and big water intake.  Those are the two biggest things you can do to combat the BP.  Also, I started asking them to take my BP at the end of every visit, as well as at the beginning when they routinely do it...the knowledge I had higher BP made my anxiety about seeing the number come out, so almost to a visit, the reading at the beginning of the visit was higher than the one at the end. Worth asking about. I also got a BP cuff for home and would take it on an occasional basis...different times of day, that kind of thing...helped both my piece of mind (it definitely was higher in the office!) and helped my OB/MW team feel reassured.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Arcain I can attest to the Castor Oil being an effective induction path.  DD was born just about 11 hours after I took about 3 ounces.  I just put it in a spoon, swallowed quickly and followed up with large amounts of gatorade.  It certainly doesnt taste good, but not excessively gross either.  (you can get it at CVS or any other pharmacy in the laxitive section) You want to stay hydrated if you go the castor oil route because the purpose is to clean out your colon.  There was definitely some uncomfortable moments in the bathroom but nothing that was excrutiatingly painful.  Just make sure you are home and have no where to go.  The rumor about the cheese cake in Worcester is that there is actually castor oil in it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodfall2008. Show capecodfall2008's posts

Hi everyone - just a quick word to the wise on the early predictions that the NWH high risk doctors make at your 12 week. He said girl for us at our 12 week ultrasound and we found out at week 19 back at my regular doctor's office that we are very clearly having a boy. They say something like 93% certainty rate, but they were clearly wrong for us!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I have a friend whose daughter's sex was determined at 12 weeks by a u/s technician.  My friend is very professorial (right down to the leather patches on his tweed jackets) so of course he asked a lot of questions at the time.  According to him, the technician said that using the angle of the internal genitalia (or the tubes which develop into genitalia?) the technician can predict the gender.  However, it's something they're teaching now in u/s school and is just in the last few years gaining support from multiple independent studies.  SO apparently it's the real thing and very accurate, but not everyone knows about it and/or feels confident using it to predict the sex.  I bet in 10 years it will be commonplace, especially in a place like Boston. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Arcain - I don't know if this will help, but I had higher-than-usual BP at the end of my pregnancy and was put on bed rest.  I'm the type of person that needs to know why.  I asked my OB/NP about 3 times if I could please go back to work for a few days because I felt fine and all of the tests were coming out fine.  Finally I asked what exactly they were worried would happen... And then I trusted that they knew what they were doing and it was best to be safe.  I don't remember all the details now, but a big risk was seizure, such as when I was making the 40 mile drive to/from work.  Details like that convinced me to play it safe.  I'm not saying that you have to, just rambling and hoping it's helpful in some way :o)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Capecod - interesting! I am not swearing by what he told me, he even said himself, "by the gen ital tubercle (something like that) it appears that it will more likely be a boy".  He was not stating it with certainty at all.  I'm happy either way, so we'll see what happens at the 18 week mark!  It was just fun to have someone predict something, since we were totally in the dark with baby #1.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Wow, thanks all for the induction advice. I'll be planning some long walks, pedicures, nipple stimulation, pineapple-eating (probably on pizza - yum!), and, if none of that works, castor oil! LO was only estimated to be 5 1/2 lbs at last u/s, so I will probably wait until I hit 38 weeks to start trying anything in earnest.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the BP issue, too. My big frustration is that my BP is perfect now and has been throughout my pregnancy -- not a single high reading. I basically had a few high readings a couple of years ago, got put on medication, and have had 100% normal readings ever since. So, since I'm basically functioning as someone without hypertension and never had it for long enough to cause long-term damage, I don't see why I should be treated any differently from another woman having a perfectly healthy pregnancy. I'm fine with the additional monitoring (had my first NST today), but I obviously feel very strongly when it comes to induction.

Luv - I'm on Labatalol too (have been since before my pg), and even with that and totally normal tests they're talking induction. Were your docs satisfied w/the meds and monitoring, or did they push for induction?

Fram and Winter, I'm definitely going to keep pushing and asking for options and explanations. Ultimately, I will do what my doc says and I trust her, but I definitely have to get some answers/process some things before I agree to being induced (if it comes to that).

Thanks, Lissa and Sprout, for reminding me to keep my eyes on the prize. You're totally right, and Sprout, I'm glad to hear it is possible to make it through induced contractions w/out the epidural!

RE: non-alcoholic drinks, I totally agree it's a bummer to go someplace where everyone's having fun cocktails and you have to miss out. I've actually found that a good bartender is even more important when you're not drinking alcohol. They'll make you fun stuff like Poppy mentioned instead of just giving you a cocktail without the alcohol or being like "Ummm, I have some seltzer I could give you?" DH and I did our last celebratory dinner at Journeyman in Somerville (highly recommend it!) on Friday and they made me a really yummy drink with some kind of rose infusion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecodfall2008. Show capecodfall2008's posts

Hi Poppy - I think I would have been more convinced if he guessed boy at our 12 week since for obvious reasons it seems boys can be more easily predicted. I always thought we were having a boy so I didn't take much confidence in the guessing, but my husband definitively believed what he said to be true and was 100% shocked when we learned at our next appointment that we were having a boy. He had to ask the technician to repeat herself when she said boy. Either way, there is at least a 50% chance he is right and you are having a boy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I think this website does a good job describing the early gender prediction (towards the bottom) http://baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Arcain, since DD ended up breech, I had a planned c-section with her.  They did move up the c-section date to 38 weeks because of lower amniotic fluid, which can be a side effect of the BP issue, I guess. 

I'm now pregnant with #2 and have already talked to my MW about that history and what it means, especially since I'm really interested in a VBAC.  She is going to talk to my OB (they work as a team and I alternate visits) and see if they can get me a maternal-fetal consult to see if there's anything we can do early on to identify the possibility of problems.  We also backed out my due date as far as possible (I have longer cycles, so we added about a week to my EDD, as opposed to basing it on LMP), again, in hopes of buying some time. 

Based on what I experienced, though, as long as everything is good on the labetalol, no protein in your urine and amniotic fluid levels are good, I don't know why they'd be rushing you!  Those were all the things they were watching in me. 

And we were checking every week in those last couple of weeks in hopes that she'd flipped and we could go back to the original birth plan...even up to that morning...if she had flipped, I would have been sent home. 

I think this is one of the things that might be practice-driven, so what makes your docs comfortable?  I think that I'd see if you can get some compromise...weekly or bi-weekly NSTs and urinalysis until your due date, then you can talk induction or other options? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

For those of you lamenting the awfulness of virgin cocktails, I had a book called Margarita Mama - Mocktails for Moms-to-Be by Alyssa Gusenoff   http://www.amazon.com/Margarita-Mama-Mocktails-Moms---Be/dp/B0032FO6FK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329168472&sr=1-1

It has a lot of recipes that are pretty good, athough it is heavy on sweeter fruity things. As far as going out, I found that places with reputations for good cocktails make better mocktails - We had a babymoon in Vegas, and a lot of bars just offered me cranberry juice and sprite, but the bartender at Wolfgang Puck's in the MGM made me some wonderful drinks with fresh juices that really seemed sophisticated, and fun.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - dying to try Journeyman - glad you liked it!  We were at Highland Kitchen, also known for good bartending I think.

Amy - thanks for the book recommendation!

Even though I know that the 13 week ultrasound isn't 100% a predictor of gender, I am now slightly freaking out about having a girl and a boy.  Will they need all different toys?  Want to watch different movies?  How do I deal with that??  Will they be close?  I am an only child, so I don't have any first-hand frame of reference.  Does anyone out there have an older girl/younger boy who can help me calm down?  Any books I can read?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Luv - Thanks for your response. It definitely seems like it's the policy of the practice. My doc said she'd be willing to work with me on it b/c my bp is so well-controlled, but she hasn't yet gone so far as to say she'll consider letting me go past my dd if everything else looks normal.

Good for you for planning ahead on this one. Good luck with the VBAC!

I'm driving myself nuts wondering if I'm starting to feel contractions (wishful thinking?!). I've had a few mild period-like cramps the last two afternoons but they don't have a very defined beginning or end. I had some BH in my second tri but haven't for awhile, so I don't feel like I have much to compare to. Argh!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Re: Virgin cocktails.  Thsi weekend, I went to dinner and the bartender suggested a virgin mojito.  It was delicious!  I highly recommend, I really couldn't tell the difference.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

I have what is probably a really dumb first-timer question. But is 38 weeks the goal for having a "full-term" baby, or are we shooting for 40? I'd assumed 40, since my due date is at the 40 week mark, but I may not have realized that the baby is fully developed and ready to go at 38. I'm sure by the time you get to 38 weeks, you're itching to not be pregnant anymore...I'm sort of planning as if we'll have 40 weeks (i.e. roughly 8 more weeks 'til LO makes his debut) - but maybe I should be thinking of 38 weeks as the end goal? Thanks, ladies!

Oh, and DH and I went out the other night and I actually ordered a Shirley Temple for the first time since I was about 10 years old at T.G.I. Friday's. It was pretty darn good!

Sections
Shortcuts