February-Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Re: February-Pregnancy

Good luck today luv! I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you!

Lissa - Congrats on the great tests! And the girl scout cookies yum :)

Hugh - almost there! I'm sending wishes for a quick and easy couple weeks for you.

Arcain - from friends and family members that recently had babies, the weight estimates always seem to be off. Try not to worry too much. 

My appointment last night was pretty uneventful. The midwife mostly just went over my history like everyone prepared me for. With the recent m/c and my irregular cycles she scheduled me for a dating u/s tomorrow. She didn't try to find the heartbeat because with the next appointment so soon, she didn't want to freak me out if she couldn't find it. She did a quick internal exam (which they told me about in advance so luckily I was expecting it!) and said that my uterus feels enlarged but said about 8 weeks. I should be about 10 so I'm not sure if it's good news that it has grown or bad news that it's smaller than it should be?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]kar- if the baby is small and not growing, then there can sometimes be something wrong with the transfer of nutrition. 
    Posted by winter09wedding[/QUOTE]

Ahh, of course, thanks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Hugh and Arcain - Good Luck with the next couple of weeks! 

For the ladies that already had your baby shower when was it?  2 months or 1 month before the baby is due?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

pugs- I had a few. my big one was about 7 weeks in advance. the ones at work were a bit more scrambled and closer.

i liked the 2 months in advance. gave me a chance to get stuff opened and put away, and to buy the rest of what i thought I needed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Cici, Glad you had a good (albeit uneventful) first appointment!  So glad they are doing the ultrasound - they'll get more accurate information from that.

Pugs - Mine was about 2 months before, I think.  One month is pushing it a bit and you may be less comfortable and not wanting a big party at that point... Plus, you want time/agility to organize the gifts you get, which you may not feel you have at 8 months!

AFM... Who else here goes to Winchester OB/GYN in Woburn?  I just switched there from my practice.  I'm going to see Dr. Druga (I think?), mainly because it was his secretary that called me back.  Hopefully I'll like him!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

poppy, here's the result of a small survey on Dr. Druga

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Lissa and Hugh -- Thanks so much. Both of your points were reassuring, whether or not the LO is actually what they estimate.

Lissa, your point about the femur is interesting. DH is barely 5'8 and has very short legs (he hates shopping for jeans!), so if this little guy takes after him, maybe he just has short femurs like his dad and your DD!

Hugh, it's really good to hear that from a NICU nurse. I don't mind at all if he looks small (it'll make those impossibly tiny looking newborn clothes we have last us longer, at least!) as long as everything is ok healthwise. My FIL is a respiratory therapist, and he told my DH last night that the gestational age matters more than size when it comes to lung function, etc., so that reassured me, too. I'm not sure my uterus measurement, but I was 1 cm dilated yesterday and cervix has been soft (is that the same as "ripe"?) the last 2 weeks.

RE: all the ultrasounds - haha, I will say, I have really loved getting to have the growth ultrasounds. Since this is my first pregnancy and it's all I've known, I'm clearly spoiled because I've seen my baby every month since I think 18 weeks. At least this stupid bp issue has done something good for me!

Kar - That's not an ignorant question -- it's one I've asked my doc many times! Winter's right that it has to do with concerns about transfer of nutrition in utero. In my case it's compounded by a history of high bp, which can further hinder that. It's a bit baffling, as my bp is fine and my u/s yesterday showed great blood flow through the cord and a grade 2 placenta, but according to my doc they can't REALLY tell how well the placenta is doing from the outside. Despite being small, my LO was in a steady growth pattern (30th percentile) for several months but as of this week he fell off the curve and was down below the 10th, where they really start to worry the baby isn't getting the nutrition he needs. Considering my 2 negative factors here, I'm starting to count myself lucky my doc didn't just induce me yesterday!

Cici - I wouldn't worry about how they say you're measuring. Didn't you say you have irregular cycles? If so, even your best calculation of when you conceived could be off. In any case, GL at the ultrasound today!

Pugs - My mom was originally planning my shower for a month before I was due but I asked her to push it up to 2 (ended up being about 2.5, actually, I think) because only 1 month made me nervous (premonition??). Like Winter, I really liked having the time to sort, put away, and buy stuff we didn't get. We never felt rushed and it meant that for the last two months there has ALWAYS been some way for me to indulge my nesting urges. I think if I'd had to wait until this month for that stuff I would have gone nuts :-). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Arcain - so sorry you are worrying about your LO's weight gain.  It is definitely stressful.  Just wanted to chime in and say that my DD was a premie and was 4lbs 9 oz.  She is 19 months now and although she is petite, she is healthy and happy and no one would ever know she was low birth weight. 

Pugs - I will also chime in on the timing of showers.  Mine was 5 weeks before my due date since that was the only time my sister could make it from out of state.  Well, DD was 7 weeks early - so I left her in the NICU to attend my own shower.  It was lovely and wonderful, but I was distracted and worried and all I wanted to do was get back to the hospital.  Never mind having time to "nest" and put stuff away, etc.  I would really advocate for at least 2 months in advance if possible. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Arcain, for the extra info about why they might induce.  It sounds like maybe it was a fluke in your case or that they made a mistake.  If he's been growing all along and there are no obvious reasons he shouldn't be now...hoping it was just a blip that resolves itself before they'd want to induce you.

ALS, good to see you - been a long time, it seems.

All the showers I've been to have been around 2 months before the due date.  Good thing for a couple of them because, like ALS, they wouldn't have made it. The moms-to-be seemed a lot more comfortable at 7 months, too, than they would have been a month later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - I'm really interested to hear how it goes with Dr. Druga.
    I didn't go to Winchester Ob/Gyn, but they share coverage with my doctor at Winchester Hospital.  Dr. Druga was the doctor covering when I was first admitted in labor.  Dr. Fullerton from that same practice was the doctor who ultimately delivered our LO (and gave me some post-partum care).
    Not pregnant, but I'm filing away info just in case, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Kar - I know I've been MIA lately.  Work has been busy and I just haven't found the time to post as often as I'd like to!  DD has been wearing us out (just non-stop-energy) and by the time she goes to bed, I'm beyond spent in the evenings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford - I have heard great things about Dr. Fullerton, but she moved to Plymouth. :(  I hope I like Dr. Druga.  If not, I'll try Dr. Bose (same practice).  I decided on that practice because all of the labs/imaging are in the same building which will greatly reduce the time I am out of the office. 

My only fear really is that I'll end up having to double-up in a post-pardum room at Winchester, since someone mentioned that in the thread I started a while ago! I am really hoping that was a fluke...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you stopped by, ALS, and that things are good with you guys.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thanks ladies!  I thought 2 months prior to the due is best.  Just need some re-assurance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]My only fear really is that I'll end up having to double-up in a post-pardum room at Winchester, since someone mentioned that in the thread I started a while ago! I am really hoping that was a fluke...
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    I had that fear, too, but luckily it didn't happen.  It seems like a lot of hospitals have that situation, though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

[QUOTE]We had our anatomy u/s yesterday and learned that we are expecting a BOY!!!  We are trilled!  I did learn that I have an anterior placenta so sadly it will take a while for me the start feeling my boy.  We also had a 4-D u/s which was so cool.  I guess it really shows the movement but my baby must have fallen asleep!  So cute !  My heart melted have we heard the news!
    Posted by pugslove[/QUOTE]

Pugs I too have an anterior placenta and just as a warning - EVERY doctor's appointment I have had to have an ultrasound because they can not find the heartbeat with just the handheld doppler.  First time I freaked out now I know it is routine so just be prepared if this happens to you. might not but just a warning.  I am 24 weeks and they still can not pick it up.   A bit annoying as 1)have to find an ultrasound machine so if they are all busy in L&D (my doc is located at NW hospital) then I have to go through the normal long process of radiology 2) we are not finding out the gender and every ultrasound is a chance of an accidental discovery.  frustrating.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Second time moms: how early in your second pregnancy did you feel movement? With my first, I felt her between 18-19 weeks but with this pregnancy I really think I have been feeling the baby the past few days (I'm 15 weeks). Maybe it's just my being extra sensitive but it really feels like its the baby. Kind of cool. We told my DD who is 2 about the new baby in mama's tummy last night. She then told us she has a baby in her tummy too!! Too funny.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Cici, I'm glad your appointment went well. I wouldn't worry about the nurse's guesstimate of your uterus size - I've never heard of using an internal exam to predict the age of the pregnancy, and it sure doesn't sound like an exact science. Didn't you say that you weren't sure when you ovulated? I know they can easily be off by a week or two until they do the dating ultrasound, so try not to worry.

Pugs, just chiming in with the others on the baby shower date. Mine was a little over 2 months before my due date, and I wouldn't have wanted it any later. It was 2 weeks ago, and since we're painting and refinishing the baby's room, I still haven't had a chance to unpack or organize our gifts (which is making me crazy...so ready to do some nesting!).

ALS, I can't imagine having to leave the NICU for your baby shower...that must have been tough. So glad your LO is thriving and you're doing well!

All this talk about Girl Scout cookies is really making me wish the little girl next door would step on it and deliver my order...I am jonesing for some Samoas (sorry, Caramel Delites) right about now!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Poppy, good luck with your new practice and hospital. Where did you deliver the first time? I never even thought about sharing a hospital room. Is that common practice?

ALS, that must've been nerve wracking having to leave your baby in the hospital for your shower! My friend had a very early emergency c-section a couple days before her shower and they actually let her have the shower at the hospital.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement on my size. I didn't realize it was not common practice to date the pregnancy that way. It seems like it is standard procedure for that office. I'm nervous only because it's impossible that I'm 8 weeks based on when I tested positive. Wouldn't 8 weeks mean that conception occurred around 1/5? I got my bfp on 1/1. Either way I will know by this time tomorrow so that's a big relief!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

So my sister just called and she received a BPM today so if everything goes well our kids will be 5 months apart!  Im so excited for her!  She said I cant tell anyone so I thought I would get it off my chest with you girls!!! YAY!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

My shower is scheduled for June 3rd and I am due July 27th. That is about two months beforehand. It was the only time that my mom could do it, she is busy most weekends in May and any later than June 3rd would just be too uncomfortable for me.

Cici, your appt. may have been uneventful (which is the best kind of appt. to have!), but whether you are 8 weeks or 10, you now know for sure there is a little tiny baby inside of you. Doesn't that make it all a little more real!? :)

We have our anatomy scan one week from today and time could not be going slower! I was at the GAP last night and could not help but look at all the little girl baby clothes....wow I am really imagining a girl here, huh?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Cici, you know they count from the first day of your last period as the start of the weeks, correct?  So, I most likely ovulated 10/3 (I was temp tracking so I know) but we start counting the weeks of my "pregnancy" at 9/17, the first day of my last period.  Does that affect whether your count makes sense or not? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Wait, I reread your original post.  Hm.  That's weird.  You should ask your doctor what she thinks.  She might have an answer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Arcain- its true that its all about your gestational age, so even if you have a baby now, you are TERM, and its going to be ok (my magic ball says so hehe).  alot of times we see moms with PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension).. in fact we just had a mom that had severely uncontrolled PIH and no prenatal care (lovely) who delivered at 700 gram baby at around 32 weeks.  Thats VERY VERY small for a baby, but miraculously, his body was that of a 32weeker- he was even taking bottles as a 2lb baby and was in room air... whereas his weight correlated with a 25wk baby.  Just a fun side story.  But at this point, 5+lbs is fine, and its true that the measurements can be off as much as I think 10%??
    AFM, I think I am going to just ask her for a cervical check at my next appt... I'll be 38w4d.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cici, do they mean gestational or pregnancy week?

Sections
Shortcuts