February-Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: February-Pregnancy

I've had one.  I didn't have to pay extra, when I was pregnant with my first they just gave me one at Brigham's without even asking if I wanted one or not.  I was a little annoyed because DD really hated the u/s when she was in utero.  She's turn away from it and freak out--I could feel how frantic it made her by her movements and she would turn away from them.  I know the 3D ones have stronger/more vibrations and it annoyed me because I felt like they were harassing her.  Of course, since I was resentful of having to have an u/s every few weeks during my pregnancy because of my heart issues and frustrated about all the poking and prodding they were doing to me, I was probably just projecting my frustrations onto the fetus.  She probably didn't care. 
    This time around the tech mentioned she was about to do a 3D u/s and apologized in advance since the angle wasn't good and I just told her to forget it because it weirded me out. 

You don't have to worry about "not being surprised" when the baby comes out or wahtever.  It's not that clear. All the facebook photos I've seen of other pregnant friends' 3D babies look like yellow mashed potatoes and there always seems to be an umbilical cord in the way.  I don't know how much it costs to get one done, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that it's going to be a magical view into the womb. 

But then again, take everything I say with a whole oceanfull of salt.  I have some issues about doctors thanks to me exciting childhood medical history.  It could very well be a worthwhile and magical experience for you :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ok, this may seem like an absolute riduclous question to ask, but I am going to anyway.

I gained about 2-3lbs in total and I am going to be 18 weeks Friday. I weighed myself this morning and I am down 3lbs from my last weight. I am eating totally normal, not overeating, but eating when I am hungry. Now I am being all nutty and freaking out that the baby isn't growing or something!

Can someone please talk me down!! I give you full permission to laugh at my question :/

WPP, yes I did see you briefly. You look great, as well!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Liz, obviously, call your ob if you are really worried but I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep in mind that your baby is really, really small right now, maybe 6-7 inches, and most of the weight gain that occurs through the beginning part of pregnancy is a result of changes to the mother - ie increased water weight, increased blood flow, larger b00bs, etc. Your body has obviously been able to accommodate that little bean without gaining a ton of weight thus far, and that's great.  Also remember that everyone "pops" at different points. In my last pregnancy, I gained only about 2 lbs through my 20 week visit and then at my 24 week appointment, I had gained something crazy like 5-7 lbs in just those past four weeks!  Then my next month (from 24-28 weeks), I gained less, like 3 lbs.  I think it's totally different for everyone and my best advice would be to just stop weighing yourself and wait for the doctor's office to do it at your next appointment.    If I remember correctly, you have your dating u/s coming up this week, right?  They will be able to measure the baby and let you know how "big" it is and whether it is on track for 18 weeks. In the meantime, just enjoy the fact that you haven't gained a lot yet.  I'm sure it will come sooner or later!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Ok, this may seem like an absolute riduclous question to ask, but I am going to anyway. I gained about 2-3lbs in total and I am going to be 18 weeks Friday. I weighed myself this morning and I am down 3lbs from my last weight. I am eating totally normal, not overeating, but eating when I am hungry. Now I am being all nutty and freaking out that the baby isn't growing or something! Can someone please talk me down!! I give you full permission to laugh at my question :/ WPP, yes I did see you briefly. You look great, as well!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

How much weight you should gain depends on your starting weight. As long as you weren't super underweight to begin with, I wouldn't be too worried either, especially if your doctor hasn't mentioned anything either. Personally I've only gained about 8 lbs, and I'm just now 24 weeks. Of course that's because I was a bit overweight to start with, so I really don't need to be gaining much at all.

Plus, weighing yourself in the AM can give you up to a 3-5lb "loss" virtually overnight, since over the course of a day you gain a bit from food, drink, water retention, etc. We should all only weigh ourselves in the morningTongue Out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ok, thanks I feel better. I was actually overweight to begin my pregnancy, at about 20 lbs. So maybe that has something to do with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Liz, I really wouldn't worry. Since you were overweight before it's probably just because you are eating healthier now.
    My weight has also been fluctuating like 3-4 pounds, I think based on bloating or other digestion issues. Sometimes I'm the same as pre-pregnancy, other times I'm up a couple pounds. I weigh myself the same time every morning and there is really no consistent pattern.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Liz - is the Torino crib made by Pali?  We got Pali furniture from Baby Furniture Warehouse and loved the look of the furniture and the quality of the drawer runners, etc, but less than a month after owning it, each piece (we bought 3) had scratched in numerous places.  The finish is AWFUL.  (We got cherry "stain" and it's most certainly not a stain.)  Love the furniture - it seemed to be good quality, but the finish is just TERRIBLE!!!  Scratches so easily and the "stain" scratched right off in several places!  Isn't "stain" supposed to STAIN?! 

(Clearly this upsets me...) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Liz, don't stress about it...babies are perfect parasites and will take what they need from you before you get anything.  I only gained 7 lbs my last pregnancy, as I'd started out overweight, was more conscious about what I was eating when I was pregnant, and was better about exercise (walking 2-3 miles a day) during my pregnancy...

The baby will still gain weight, but you might be losing it...

As long as you're eating well and drinking plenty of water you'll be fine.  Also, it's not until the end of the pregnancy that the baby starts gaining weight more quickly...he/she is only gaining ounces or fractions of ounces a week now...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Oh my gosh, boston, now that you've described it, I think I had/have a pregnancy tumor too! Sorry for TMI, but I had a flap of gum that got red and swollen and felt almost a little bit detached from the teeth around it, and bled a lot when I flossed. It seems better now, but it was freaking me out for awhile. My gums are bad to begin with, so I was ready for issues in pregnancy. Yuck.

Liz, just chiming in with the others - I know that if you start out overweight, and are motivated, as it sounds like you are, to eat healthy and exercise, you oftentimes LOSE weight at first. I have a friend who was overweight when she got pg, and between eating healthier, not drinking (no more beer calories!), etc, she only gained 8 lbs total. And has a beautiful baby now. I'd ask your doctor at your next visit, but I wouldn't worry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ok, now I REALLY feel better! Thanks, everyone! And, Luv...only 7lbs?! WOW, that is amazing!

Sprout, it is by Pali, and Baby Bargains said the same thing about the stain scratching!! BB gave the Baby Cache Heritage crib from BRU an A rating, so we think we are going with that one instead. But thanks for the heads up!

This is the one that we are thinking...with matching dresser.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3497224

I honestly do not know what I would have done without the BB book. It is so helpful. I really wanted a crib from PB Kids, but they only gave them a C rating.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Liz - During the vast majority of my pregnancy with the TWINS, I weighted less than I did pre-pregnancy.  I lost a ton of weight during the 1st trimester and in the end only gained about 15 lbs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Summer... we did the 3D/4D thing at GoldenView Ultra sound in Coolidge Corner.  I thought it was super cool.  It didn't ruin the surprise of what DD was going to look like, but was a cool distraction to have a "preview" during those last months of waiting.  I only got 2 ultrasounds for medical reasons, 12wks and 20 wks, so by 30 I was DYING to see how she was doing, and that was the last time we "saw" her until she was born.  Now that I can put her 3D pic up next to her, I can definitely see that it is "her" ... but the 3D still left a lot to the imagination to ponder over the last 10 weeks.  She wasn't super active during the 3D, so they used a bunch of noise makers to "bug" her into moving to a better position.  That sort of bothered me, but I knew it wasn't hurting her.  That and since she "bugged" me all night and made me have to pee 3 times while I was trying to sleep, I just thought of it has harmless revenge :o) 

If you do go to them... you get several printouts and a DVD (depending on the package, we got the Gold package) and then they ask if you want a CD of the printouts ($10, i think?) ... we opted not to get the CD since I figured I had the paper prints and the DVD... well I wish I had gotten the CD.  It wasn't that much money and would have made putting them on facebook and emailing to family a whole lot easier.  I never figured a way to capture a jpeg from the DVD and ended up taking a picture of the prints to be able to email them.  $10 would have been worth the hassle that it ended up being. 

definitely a splurge .. but I thought it was fun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Summer - I also had a 4D u/s when we went in for our atanomy scan.  We didnt ask for it the technician just did it.  It was super cool and like someone else said it does kinda look like mashed potatoes.  I didnt think that it ruined the surprise of what our son will look like.  I guess the 4D is suppose to be able to show the movements better.  But my little guy must have fallen asleep because he wasnt moving but during the regular u/s he was spinning around in there. 

On another note I still havent felt anything yet.  I am 19 weeks yesterday and I do have the anterior placenta.  When can expect to feel this little guy? 

Liz- have you felt anything yet?  You have an anterior placenta too, right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Pugs, no :( So it still doesn't feel real to me....hopefully tomorrow will make it a lot more real and true to me!

Just a fyi, one of my friends who also had an anterior placenta did not feel it until 24 weeks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Summer - I also had a 4D u/s when we went in for our atanomy scan.  We didnt ask for it the technician just did it.  It was super cool and like someone else said it does kinda look like mashed potatoes.  I didnt think that it ruined the surprise of what our son will look like.  I guess the 4D is suppose to be able to show the movements better.  But my little guy must have fallen asleep because he wasnt moving but during the regular u/s he was spinning around in there.  On another note I still havent felt anything yet.  I am 19 weeks yesterday and I do have the anterior placenta.  When can expect to feel this little guy?  Liz- have you felt anything yet?  You have an anterior placenta too, right?
    Posted by pugslove[/QUOTE]

I can't speak to having an anterior placenta (at least, no one has told me I have one...) but I didn't really starting feeling my LO until 18 weeks, and that was just little blips here and there. Once I hit 23 weeks (to the day) I started feeling real bumps and rollin' around in there, and am now even able to see my stomach move when she does. My doctors have told me that for a FTM, I wouldn't feel a lot until 23-24 weeks...lo and behold. So with an AP it might be even later than that...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Good Luck tomorrow, Liz!  Hopefully your appointment is early in the day!  I feel the same it doesnt seem real yet even though I am definately showing and almost halfway there!

Ill be patiently waiting and hopefully sooner than later!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

With my first I had an anterior placenta and I didn't feel much until 21 weeks or so.  DH couldn't feel anything from outside until 23 or 24 weeks.

I have an anterior placenta this time and I've been feeling stuff since 18 weeks--but part of that is knowing what those little flutters feel like.  Plus, this fetus is ridiculously active.  I can tell it's going to be a climber when it gets out haha.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I felt a little weird poke last night when I was laying in bed, but it's hard to believe that it is the LO, only because I do have an anterior placenta, and because it could have just been gas!

I have the day off today and 12:45 can not come soon enough. I am excited and nervous. I haven't seen the LO in 5 weeks, and everytime I go in for an u/s, all I want to see is a little heart beat.

Liss, I had an appt. yesterday with my cardiologist and she told me that they will see me when I am in labor to measure my heart rate...did they do that for you? They also sort of warned me that when I have my fetal echo, they don't ever really say everything looks normal, and not to worry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Wait, Baby Bargains said that about Pali? Ugh!  We totally must have missed that...  I thought we read it for each thing we bought.  Rats!  (It's still beautiful furniture, except for the finish!) 

[QUOTE]Ok, now I REALLY feel better! Thanks, everyone! And, Luv...only 7lbs?! WOW, that is amazing! Sprout, it is by Pali, and Baby Bargains said the same thing about the stain scratching!! BB gave the Baby Cache Heritage crib from BRU an A rating, so we think we are going with that one instead. But thanks for the heads up! This is the one that we are thinking...with matching dresser. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3497224 I honestly do not know what I would have done without the BB book. It is so helpful. I really wanted a crib from PB Kids, but they only gave them a C rating.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Liz - are you doing the anatomy scan today? Good luck!!! Do you have any feelings about what it will be?

Pugs - I hope you feel something soon! When did you find out that you have an anterior placenta?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Cici - I found out at our anatomy scan last week.  I was 18 weeks.

Have anyone been diagnosed with gall bladder disease while pregnant?  My sister, who just found out that she is pregnant, had pains in her rib cage area.  So she went to the doctor and they tested her and think this is what she has.  She is waiting for the results and should have them today. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Good luck today, Liz!  I love watching the bean in the ultrasounds...

I had an anterior placenta last pregnancy...I was definitely on the later side for feeling things, but once you do, it's amazing!  Best was when I'd be reading a book later in the pregnancy and could watch it move on my belly! 

AFM, I'm trying to get myself psyched up to tell my boss about baby #2 today.  I'm just about 13 weeks and work in a small office, so want to make sure there's plenty of time to figure out what projects I'll keep or take on, and what I can't because of the timing. For some reason, I'm much more nervous to tell about this one than I was with #1! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]I felt a little weird poke last night when I was laying in bed, but it's hard to believe that it is the LO, only because I do have an anterior placenta, and because it could have just been gas! I have the day off today and 12:45 can not come soon enough. I am excited and nervous. I haven't seen the LO in 5 weeks, and everytime I go in for an u/s, all I want to see is a little heart beat. Liss, I had an appt. yesterday with my cardiologist and she told me that they will see me when I am in labor to measure my heart rate...did they do that for you? They also sort of warned me that when I have my fetal echo, they don't ever really say everything looks normal, and not to worry.
    yes, I had cardiac monitoring while I was in labor.  I also had antibiotics via IV (I would have needed them anyway because I was + for StrepB, but you will need them for the same reason you need antibiotics before dental work).  The cardiac monitoring wasn't TOO intrusive (I only had 2 leads, not 8 or 10 like with a full EKG or Holter monitor).  It did prevent me from being able to use the showers with the awesome massage jets they have in the birthing rooms at BWH, which was kind of a bummer.  I had an O2saturation monitor on my finger that was a real pain in the a55 because it kept coming off while I was moving around and some annoying chirpy nurse kept putting it back on and then she TAPED IT ON, the bwitch, while I was in the middle of pushing the baby out (I admit it, most of the times it slipped off towards the end weren't accidental, but whatever, I wasn't turning blue and the baby's heart rate was fine so they didn't really need to keep me hooked up like they did when I was trying to hold my husband's hand while pushing a baby out of my vag1na.  jerks.)
    A lot more people came in and listened to my heart while I was in labor and in recovery after.  Be prepared, BWH is a teaching hospital and getting a chance to listen to something in a real-life person's chest instead of listening on a recording is invaluable to residents and other doctors in training.  Expect TEAMS of people to request a chance to listen to you.  You can always say no, of course.  I said yes since the students/residents were always accompanied by doctors who had to listen anyway, so it felt silly to say no.  It does mean you'll get more people interrupting your sleep, nursing, and visitation time postpartum.  My cardiologist even brought some guy who was visiting from Italy for a conference by because he was curious!  Whatever, it was fine. 
    The truth is, when you're in labor you don't notice the leads or the other stuff much because you are so focused on the contractions at the end.  The only reason I even remember the O2sat. thing is that the stupid lady tried to put it on the hand my husband was holding onto. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Cici - I found out at our anatomy scan last week.  I was 18 weeks. Have anyone been diagnosed with gall bladder disease while pregnant?  My sister, who just found out that she is pregnant, had pains in her rib cage area.  So she went to the doctor and they tested her and think this is what she has.  She is waiting for the results and should have them today. 
    Posted by pugslove[/QUOTE]

I haven't but my cousin's wife was. She had a horrible time with it, was in the ER a few times and on a very low fat diet until finally in her 3rd tri I believe, had to have it removed. There was even a possibility they'd need to deliver the baby early too (for what reason I'm not sure).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for all of that info, Lissa.

Well I thought it was a girl and I was right! :) But most importantly, she is very healthy and her heart has all four chambers and no sign of defect!

Sections
Shortcuts