February-Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Re: February-Pregnancy

I've been exclusively pumping for 10.5 months and have been lucky enough to have the same output the entire time. My DD gets a formula bottle every other day. It is a lot of hard work but it's get a lot easier after the 1st few months. You can do it if you choose to. And if you don't then that's ok too!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

random question for those of you with toddlers. who watched the LO while you were having their sibling? I know that I have like 6 months to get this sorted out... but last time I was in labor (admitted to labor and delivery) it was for 48 hours. we don't have anyone who could do that, plus the 3 days post. although I am willing to share DH post delivery, it breaks my heart that he won't get the chance to spend some time with the second child.

we have local in-laws... who we trust for an hour or two, but not two days. and my MIL works, so she would have to call in once we went into labor. our only babysitter (that we have literally used twice) is from DS's daycare- so he also has a day job (and costs us $15/hour). 

the idea of being in labor and watching the clock to make sure we have coverage makes me really sad. is this why people do home birth or schedule c- sections?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I dropped her off about an 1.5 hrs ago.  And the vet said she isnt going to need a cone.  There will be no visible stitches.  He stitches her up from the inside so there will be a little half circle of a red line.  He said it takes him about 17-20 minutes to preform the surgery.  Im a nervous wreak!  I almost cried when he was telling me about the procedure.  But I love my vet and he has a pug too!  He will call me after the surgery to let me know how everything went.  We will pick her up tonight. 

I didnt even think about my other pug licking her.  Ill have to keep an eye on that.  Im going to send Buddy to dog daycare tomorrow so she can relax tomorrow. 

Sorry for the off subject in the pregnancy forum...

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    Pugs--I have two pugs too (both males)! Our biggest problem with getting them neutered was licking each other's stitches. And we couldn't keep a cone on Gizmo because it paralyzed him with fear. Poor guy couldn't walk with it but he wasn't really interested in licking himself so it turned out not to be necessary. Good luck with the spay (I'm sure it'll be fine!) and give her a delicous peanut butter kong afterward!
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pugs, I cried thinking about Gracie going under, too, and the two times since.  But, you know they do these things all the time; she'll be OK.  That's great she won't need a cone, but think about getting a CC to have on hand, anyway, as part of the general first aid kit.  It rocks, and I tried 2 other products that stunk before finding it.

HOWEVER, be aware that the muscles she uses to hold her bladder will weaken when the hormones that keep them strong are gone (produced by organs not there anymore), and Gracie drips a little when she sits without this daily bladdar control supplement from Only Natural Pets.  It WORKS, and she only needs one pill a day (much less than recommended for her weight).  I ran out and tested to see if she really needed it, and sure enough, drip, drip, drip.  She never had full on incontinence, just a little dripping (but still not OK).  It started happening about 6 months after she was spayed, and has been kept under control with the supplements ever since (over a year).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

random question for those of you with toddlers. who watched the LO while you were having their sibling? I know that I have like 6 months to get this sorted out... but last time I was in labor (admitted to labor and delivery) it was for 48 hours. we don't have anyone who could do that, plus the 3 days post. although I am willing to share DH post delivery, it breaks my heart that he won't get the chance to spend some time with the second child. we have local in-laws... who we trust for an hour or two, but not two days. and my MIL works, so she would have to call in once we went into labor. our only babysitter (that we have literally used twice) is from DS's daycare- so he also has a day job (and costs us $15/hour).  the idea of being in labor and watching the clock to make sure we have coverage makes me really sad. is this why people do home birth or schedule c- sections?
    Posted by winter09wedding

winter--we had a really hard time with this as well. We have no family nearby who could help us out. We ended up asking some friends to be "on call" for evenings/weekends, knowing that DS would be at daycare all day during the week. I almost took up my OB on the offer the schedule an induction at 40 weeks, just so we could plan around DS#1's schedule. In the end, it worked out for us. I started contractions at around 4pm in the afternoon. We got DS from daycare, had dinner, bath, bed, etc. It took until about 9pm for the contractions to reach 3-4 minutes apart. At that point we called our friends and left for the hospital. DS#2 was born at 1:30am (the second *should* go more quickly), DH left the hospital around 4am. So, in the end DS never knew we were gone because he was asleep the whole time. (He was just about to turn 2, btw.)

As for DH not getting to spend much time in the hospital with #2, it was actually perfectly OK for us. We wanted to keep DS#1 on as "normal" a schedule as possible. DH brought him for an hour each day I was at the hospital and that was plenty for all of us. I took full advantage of resting and having the nurses' help for those two quiet days. Trust me. There will be plenty of time to bond with #2 when you're out of the hospital!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

random question for those of you with toddlers. who watched the LO while you were having their sibling? I know that I have like 6 months to get this sorted out... but last time I was in labor (admitted to labor and delivery) it was for 48 hours. we don't have anyone who could do that, plus the 3 days post. although I am willing to share DH post delivery, it breaks my heart that he won't get the chance to spend some time with the second child. we have local in-laws... who we trust for an hour or two, but not two days. and my MIL works, so she would have to call in once we went into labor. our only babysitter (that we have literally used twice) is from DS's daycare- so he also has a day job (and costs us $15/hour).  the idea of being in labor and watching the clock to make sure we have coverage makes me really sad. is this why people do home birth or schedule c- sections?
    Posted by winter09wedding

This was one of my biggest stresses during my second pregnancy.  I have a response very similar to what Kiwi said.  We also have no family close by and ended up having to ask friends as well.  I had a c-sec scheduled, but we also needed someone on call because I was nervous about going early (I went early with #1).  I scheduled the c-sec for late monday morning knowing that would put DD is daycare.  I wound up having the scheduled c-sec and was at the hospital at around 11:30am and out in recovery by about 2pm.  DH stayed until about 4pm then he left to pickup DD and take her home where a friend was waiting to care for her for the night.  She was totally fine for the night without us.  DH came back to the hospital and spent the night and then left the next morning in time to be there for DD's breakfast.  We only had our friends watch her the first night, after that DH was running back and forth.  DD came for a bit in the evenings.  Yes, it will be a totally different experience than it was with #1, but there will still be plenty of time for bonding.  It would have been awesome if DD could have stayed with us at the hospital, but they don't allow it :(  You'll figure it out.  Good luck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thanks again for the update.  Ill have to keep an eye on her about that too!  I got the call from the doctor a little while ago and everything went really well!  We can pick her up anytime after 3 pm today!  He did say that she still had 3 baby teeth so he pulled those out since her adult teeth had already come in. 

pugs, I cried thinking about Gracie going under, too, and the two times since.  But, you know they do these things all the time; she'll be OK.  That's great she won't need a cone, but think about getting a CC to have on hand, anyway, as part of the general first aid kit.  It rocks, and I tried 2 other products that stunk before finding it. HOWEVER, be aware that the muscles she uses to hold her bladder will weaken when the hormones that keep them strong are gone (produced by organs not there anymore), and Gracie drips a little when she sits without this  daily bladdar control supplement from Only Natural Pets .  It WORKS, and she only needs one pill a day (much less than recommended for her weight).  I ran out and tested to see if she really needed it, and sure enough, drip, drip, drip.  She never had full on incontinence, just a little dripping (but still not OK).  It started happening about 6 months after she was spayed, and has been kept under control with the supplements ever since (over a year).
    Posted by kargiver

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We are struggling too on what to do with DS when I go into labor with #2. We also do not have family close by. We are still working on it especially as the due date is around Labor Day weekend... if it is during the day during the regular work week, we do have daycare for daytime, but we are working on how to manage night time or weekend/holiday if I am in labor.

Is second delivery and labor much shorter? I was in the hospital for 29 hours before he was born (water broke early) for first one and I am so hoping it is quicker the second time.

So we may use a network of friends, our neighborhood babysitter - and possibly MIL, but DH sometimes gets exasperated with his mom, so that one I am still debating about asking him on whether we want to ask his MIL to come for that timeframe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My goodness, does any of us have family close by?!

TC - I'm glad it's working out.  When DD was a few weeks, several mothers told me they had stopped using the shield between 11-14 weeks.  As DD was nearing that age it didn't seem like she would stop any time soon, but all of a sudden I could just tell she did not want it.  All along I had been nervous about going through the bloody nipples all over again, but they didn't get sore at all.  I didn't mind using the shield for a while, but after like 12 weeks, it got old when I'd have to take that extra step while BFing in public.  Best wishes!! :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I've been meaning to post my early BF experience for the first time moms on the board...
    After spending much time with a LC due to DD's slow weight gain, she taught me a very natural and comfortable nursing position that was not covered by any of the books/classes I did before she was born (http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html). I sit semi-reclined (easy to do in a hospital bed or on a couch/bed) and DD essentially lies on my belly with her nose at n!pple level and feet towards my lap.  This is the position that newborns will naturally root out the n!pple from and keeps their heads tilted back a bit so that you don't suffocate them with your b**b.  I can cradle her back with one arm, but because her weight is on my belly it is not as tiring as the cross-cradle that the nurses were trying to ge me to use.  Another plus to this position is that if we start that way propped up in bed, I can dose off without fear of dropping DD and it is also pretty easy to transition to the side-lying position that we tend to fall asleep in.

The other things I've learned have been to have some washable cotton nursing pads for the sleep bra/sports bra.  When you pull up the band to nurse, the disposable ones that stick onto the bra tend to curl up and stick to themselves or me.  The cotton pads have been so much easier for this style bra.  When I'm wearing the more traditional nursing bra with cups the disposable pads work much better.  I had randomly picked up the cotton ones on my last trip to BRU before DD was born and have been so grateful to have them around.

I've only purchased one real nursing bra so far and really like it. It is the Bravado Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra.  I was a small B before getting pg and am a large B / small C depedining on how full I am these days.  The body silk bra has a bit of shaping to it which I really like, as being on the smaller side of things I've always had at least a little shapping in my bras and it was so wierd to have nothing. 

GL to the new moms!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

So this is really random and a horrid way to start the day...but as I was just getting dressed, I wacked my knee on our bathroom counter...graceful, right? And I mean, full on, strength of my whole leg, hit it so hard I saw stars. It immediately started to bruise and there's a red mark (almost like a blood blister, but in a line) right where I hit it- sort of above my kneecap.

I have to leave for work soon, so I'm putting my foot up for now and icing it...what else can I do? I guess I'll pop a couple tylenol too. I'm worried I seriously hurt myself and now I'm paranoid about some sort of blood clot or something forming...I know the obvious answer is to call my doc but I don't want to be the idiot who calls all concerned about a hurt knee...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Summer - maybe because I had a knee injury I'm overly cautious...but I would say that you do not want to mess around! Get to the doctor if it seems serious, if you have trouble walking, or are in a lot of pain. I waited months after my injury and have had nothing but problems since. Good luck, I really hope it's nothing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Summer, you're not on the "list" at the doctors for being a person who calls every other whipstitch over nothing...because you don't do that.  If you are considering calling the doctor and even using the words "obvious answer," I think you've answered your own question, and no one would begrudge you the visit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

We are lucky and have lots of family nearby but I do not envy those who are struggling with this issue.  My sister's mil was supposed to watch my nephew when his little brother was born but it was mid-summer, she lived on the cape (my sis in central ma so traffic was an issue) and my sis went into labor 3 weeks early.  Her own mom was away.  She had had a c-sec with the first so they had to go right into the hospital.   I left work to meet my laboring sis and bil in a parking lot to exchange a sleeping 2.5yr old.  And I got him for the next day and a half.  Plus she had been on bedrest so I ended up cleaning their house, doing loads of laundry and setting up the nursery till 2am that night while babysitting.  My only rec from this is make sure you do have multiple options lined up to help in case it is needed - even if you think you have plenty of help nearby you never know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm at 10 weeks + now...so nice to be in the double digits!  Have my ERA screening next week, which is my last real nervous hurdle; then I think I'll feel okay spreading the news to some more people.  Only a couple more weeks until I can go public! 

This time is definitely the worst part of pregnancy...I remember from last time too...when some people know, others don't, you feel crummy, look crummy, and wish there was a mattress under your desk so you could take a nap in the middle of the afternoon.  It does pass, though, I know! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pugs, how is your little guy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer, how are you feeling?  Is the knee any better? I would be less concerned about a blood clot or any harm to the baby and more concerned that you did some damage to your knee.  I hope you're feeling better.

Congrats on making it to 10 weeks Luv.  As you know it does get better.  Not to discourage anyone heading into the second tri but I was hoping for the burst of energy once I hit 13 weeks and it didn't happen.  Somewhere around 18 weeks I finally got some of my energy back and hopefully I can keep it up for a few more weeks to get through this crazy time at work!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thanks for asking Kar!  She is doing really really well!  The first night was rough, the poor thing was shivering and whimping.  But the next morning she was back to her old self.  Trying to keep the dogs from playing is IMPOSSIBLE and it is mostly her that starts it! Her incision also looks great today.  I would say a couple more days and it will look healed.  I am also happy to say that she is not licking herself and niether is Buddy!

Pugs, how is your little guy?
    Posted by kargiver

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I am 16 weeks, and have officially gained one pound, haha! When did the weight come on for you guys? I have this feeling that I am going to just pack it on this trimester. Thankfully, I am eating much more healthy than I did before I was pregnant. More small meals throughout the day.

Summer, I have my fetal echocardiogram on March 9th. What is the procedure like? I am assuming just an extra long u/s focusing on the babies heart. Also, I hope the knee if feeling better!

Clc, I don't know why but I feel like just yesterday you announced your bfp and now you are more than half way through! Yet, my pregnancy still feels like it is taking forever! Has your crib come in yet?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

luv - good luck on your screening next week! And congrats on making it to 10 weeks.

liz - wow, only one pound?!? I have already gained a couple because of this stupid all day nausea that only feels better when I eat constantly. Actually I think most of it is bloat that came out of nowhere this past week. Gross!

clc - that is not encouraging to hear that it took until 18 weeks to feel better. I can't imagine 9 more weeks of this!

I am still hanging out waiting for my first doctor's appointment next week. This will end up feeling like the longest month and a half of my life.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

For some reason, my computer won't let me reply directly to posts...I've reset my password so many times already, too! gah....

Anyways, my knee is feeling better, thanks to those who gave input or asked. It never swelled up and is starting to bruise, and is still sore.

Liz- the fetal echo is just like a regular ultrasound, except they look pretty much exclusively at the heart. Last time we went, we were in the room for about 45-50 minutes, with the dr performing it. We are actually going for a follow up tomorrow...apparently if baby squirms too much, they might not be able to get the exact views/pictures they need and you need to go again Tongue Out These pesky babies and their wiggling...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Yes, Cici...but looking at me you would guess way more :-/ And, I can only imagine how long this month as been for you....almost there!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Liz - one pound! Man I gained one pound by my 8 week appointment. My OB wanted me to be at 10 lbs at 20 weeks but I was at 13!  I was nervous and asked if I was gaining too much but they said they weren't concerned.  Luckily it's all in my belly.  I look like I'm smuggling around a basketball but from the back you would never know I was pregnant. Maybe a little in the chest too, moved from an A to a big B, such an accomplishment!

The crib did come but we haven't opened it yet.  We are washing the rugs in the baby's room next week and then we will open it and put it together.  Can't wait to see what the room looks like.

Summer - glad to hear your knee is better.

Cici - I hope that your energy returns before 18 weeks! I did end up with a nasty cold around 16 weeks so that didn't help at all so maybe that was what zapped all of my energy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for asking Kar!  She is doing really really well!  The first night was rough, the poor thing was shivering and whimping.  But the next morning she was back to her old self.  Trying to keep the dogs from playing is IMPOSSIBLE and it is mostly her that starts it! Her incision also looks great today.  I would say a couple more days and it will look healed.  I am also happy to say that she is not licking herself and niether is Buddy!  In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy :
    Posted by pugslove

Fantastic!  What a weight off your shoulders.  Gracie, too, shivered and wimpered when she came home; they said it was due to how they process the anesthesia.  The next day she seemed like she felt fine, too, back to her old self and impossible to keep down.  They are fast healers!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Summer, if your swelling isn't less every morning than it was the morning before, call the doc.  It sounds painful!

ETA: removed something personal I rethought of posting.  Liz, could you help me out? Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts