February-Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Re: February-Pregnancy

Wow, I am jealous of you girls...I'm 31 weeks and I'm pretty sure I've gained almost 25 lbs. The doctor keeps assuring me that I'm right on track...but considering the baby alone has to pack on another 5 or so more lbs, I hope it stays under control! clc, I was the same...I had already gained a few lbs by my 8-week appointment. I guess because I'd slowed down on the running routine, and it also feels like my body just clings to every calorie while pregnant.

Summer, I hope the knee is feeling better! And Luv, congrats on double digits!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Liz, the fetalecho is like a regular ultrasound, they just are looking at different things.  They also are more likely to have trouble getting the pictures they need if the baby is moving too much (think about how they sometimes struggle to get decent windows when doing an echocardiogram on you!).  It's fine, though. You just lie there.  There's less to look at since they usually close-up on the fetus' heart (instead of the big picture fo the baby, like when you have a regular ultrasound).

I'm going for my fetalecho and a stress test next week, in addition to my OB appointment.  I'm so sick of stupid appointments. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Those that had # 2, other than the planning for the actual birth and what to do with LO #1 what did you do to prepare #1??  Our DS will be 20 months and I know it is going to be difficult but what can I do to prepare?  I know not to change his routines, like moving him out of his crib or anything, but are there other helpful tips??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Luv, congrats on 10 weeks. Mentally and emotionally I was much better after the first tri, though like Clc, I didn't get the second tri burst of energy. You're almost there! Good luck with the ERA. Wow, Liz, 1 lb? I was probably up 10 by 16 weeks. I've gone in spurts, though and am at just about 35 ( ideally my max) now. Summer, hope your knee is better and LO cooperates for the follow-up! Pugs, glad your pup is doing better! AFM, had my 36 week checkup today. Everything looks good but my doc dropped a bit of a bomb that she doesn't want to let me go past my due date b/c I have chronic (but very well controlled) hypertension and they worry about the condition of the placenta in anyone with chronic high bp. I want a natural birth and really don't like the idea of induction. She says she'll work with me on options if it comes to that, but now I'm really hoping LO decides to arrive a week or so early!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Arcain, when it gets closer remind me to give some self-induction advice.  I went all-out (under threats of induction from my cardiologist) and had a lot of success with one particular method. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, Lissa! I would love to hear your method, especially if it worked! Right now I'm planning to go on lots of long walks once I hit week 38 or 39, and then of course there's the method DH would prefer :-).

I have a very hard time believing this one, but my doc told me that there is apparently some bakery in Worcester that serves cream cheese rumored to send women into labor. She says she's going to go there some day and get a sample to take back to a lab :-).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc4321. Show jc4321's posts

Anyone else dealing with round ligament pain? I was in so much pain for a day and a half and finally called the doctor thinking something was wrong. I assumed I pulled a muscle because everything I have read about round ligament pain is that it doesn't persist too long. And my pain was nearly constant.

Luckily, she told me that it was just round ligament, and I was able to hear the baby's heartbeat for reassurance that everything is ok. It's frustrating becuase there is not much to be done for the pain - sitting and curling up helps, but no medication. I feel better knowing that the baby is fine (I still can't feel kicks, so the heartbeat was reassuring!). I guess I can live with the pain and hope that it subsides soon!

TGIF! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I am jealous of all of you slow-gainers... I am not so lucky this time around. But oh well.  After this baby I will deal with the weight.

Luv - good luck with your ERA and enjoy seeing the bean again!  I did mine on Wednesday and aside from the slight worry that they'll find something wrong (I really try to reign in my feelings and force myself not to panic about it) I love the excuse to see the baby again.  The doctors at Maternal Fetal Medicine at NWH love to try to guess the gender at your ERA appointment, it's so funny.  Last time he begged us to let him and we wouldn't.  This time I was like, "YES PLEASE!!"  He thinks it's more likely to be a boy!  Because of the position of the "gen ital tube" or something like that. So we'll see, but of course now I'm thinking "he" all the time!

LLLE - I've been wondering about that too and am looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Summer - hope your knee is ok, ouch!

Pugs - glad to hear your little girl is on the mend!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

One other thing I meant to say - Arcain, this may have nothing to do with anything, but I did happen to have a pedicure the day I went into labor!  :)

jc - I didn't have ligament pain at all during my first pregnancy, but this time I think I am having it.  Is it a pain (almost like a cramp but not quite) in the abdominal area?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE] Anyone else dealing with round ligament pain? I was in so much pain for a day and a half and finally called the doctor thinking something was wrong. I assumed I pulled a muscle because everything I have read about round ligament pain is that it doesn't persist too long. And my pain was nearly constant. Luckily, she told me that it was just round ligament, and I was able to hear the baby's heartbeat for reassurance that everything is ok. It's frustrating becuase there is not much to be done for the pain - sitting and curling up helps, but no medication. I feel better knowing that the baby is fine (I still can't feel kicks, so the heartbeat was reassuring!). I guess I can live with the pain and hope that it subsides soon! TGIF! :)  
    Posted by jc4321[/QUOTE]

I am, and in fact it gets pretty achy at night. I find that when I stand up from the couch or get out of bed fast, it feels like a pull in my muscles. Sometimes it does feel like menstrual cramps. I was also concerned a couple of weeks ago and they had me come in for an u/s and everything looked great. The nurse said that is is very common in the second trimester and sometimes can even be a stabbing pain.

I also have terrible gas pains, which do not help at all!

I find that if I move a certain way or press on my belly it can be a little uncomfortable. I found this article that is reassuring.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/pregnancy-round-ligament-pain

JC, how far a long are you?

And as far as weight gain, I will probably be the one who gains a ton all at once and it will take awhile to come off!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

BTW, Tang, between now and 40 weeks you probably won't gain a lot more weight.  I think 25 pounds at this point is great!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Tang,
    I gained more in my 2nd trimester than my 3rd.  It gets harder and harder to eat a lot at once because the baby is smooshing your stomach.  The week or so after the baby drops you can breathe and eat a lot again, but Poppy's right, you probably won't keep gaining quite as much (and what you do gain will be actual baby, not mama weight!)

Poppy, I know what you mean about the second time having more trouble.  Especially since you had less space in between to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight!  Plus, with a toddler I'm scrambling around more but I have a lot less time for actual exercise.  Although I feel like my arms and back are stronger from all the lifting of the toddler, the whole backfat situation is another story entirely. sigh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I have been feeling the ligament pain as well.  I have a desk job so after I have been sitting for a long time and get up I can feel it.  Its in my left side more towards my groin area.  Also if I sneeze I get a sharp pain.  I asked to doctor and says it due to the ligaments expanding.

Liz- 1 lb?!  I have gained 15 lbs and only 17 weeks.  When the doctor told me how much I gained, my face must have told her WHAT?!?!?!  because she told me that she wasnt worried about it and that I almost 1/2 way there!  I have been going to gym 5 days a week and that has helped me feel much better!

Looks like Ill have to travel for work in about a week.  I have a call into my doctor to make sure it is ok.  Has anyone else had any issue/concerns with flying?  Its going to be a short flight...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm sorry for all of you ladies experiencing the round ligament pain.  I've only felt it a few times but it's not fun.  I am however dealing with a lot of sciatica pain.  I've had it since pretty early on (14 weeks or so) and it's incredibly painful.  I also have a desk job and I don't notice it when I'm sitting but at night when I get home and lay down it's brutal.  Unfortunately my OB said there isn't much they can do for it and that it will probably get worse in the next few months.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc4321. Show jc4321's posts

Poppy - my pain is crampy but can be sharp as well. It sometimes radiates down to my groin area, too. Like Pugs, I sit at a desk a lot for work, and standing up from seated is painful. I have to stand for a few seconds to get my bearings and allow the abdomen to stretch back out. The worst seems to be getting up after laying on the couch or in bed for a while - I found myself hunched over like an old woman!

Liz - I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow. The gas pains are there for me, too. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

lissa and poppy- I hear you. i feel like I just stopped breast feeding... and my doctor said that I must be one of those people who "hang on to some fat for feeding others." ugh. I am not sure that I weight any more than I did starting last time, but I must be filled with air and jiggly stuff, because I am not wearing the same size AND I need maternity now- at 12 weeks.

jc- mine has always been inconsistent- often sharp and then dull and achy for a while.  you have to practice getting up slower, that helped me a lot.

clc, I slept with my knees up on a pillow- almost on a 45 degree angle between my back and side, and that helped a lot with back pain at night. that and back rubs to release the muscles- although it isn't muscle pain, I found that when I was tense it was much worse.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Winter, it might not be just extra weight.  I got down to my pre-pregnancy weight inbetween my pregnancies but I was already in maternity pants at 11weeks with this second one and I didn't have to switch until 16 weeks with my first.  I really do feel a lot more tired this time around.  It's like I'm still drained from the tough first tri symptoms.  Plus it's been a rough year for disease in our house, which hasn't helped.

Plus, let's face it, the wonder and awe of pregnancy isn't carrying me quite so far.  It's not like I'm spending hours marvelling at what size fruit the fetus is this week like I was last time around.  I'm just thinking about the logistics of having a place to put #1 when I'm in labor and worrying about things that could go wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Our second fetal echo went great today. The tech and dr both commented how LO is very photogenic and gave them great photos this time around. Dr still says there is little to be concerned about and no obvious defects were detected...so, yay!

In other news, DH and I were planning on seeing the Pompeii exhibit on Sunday for our Valentine's plans, but now the tickets are sold out for the entire weekend! And Sunday is the last day for the exhibit. So now we are back to square one trying to figure out what to do :(

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

summer, great news about your LO's heart - you must be so relieved!!  How is your knee?  Swelling going down every day?  Too bad about the exhibit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Kar, we are very relieved! My knee never actually swelled up. Now it's just  a pretty purple bruise and still sore.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's great - swelling would definitely be there if you did real damage, I think.  You must look lovely; at least it's long pants weather, lol.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE] Looks like Ill have to travel for work in about a week.  I have a call into my doctor to make sure it is ok.  Has anyone else had any issue/concerns with flying?  Its going to be a short flight...
    Posted by pugslove[/QUOTE]

Pugs, I just got back from a weeklong business trip at 31 weeks, and it was totally fine. My doctor cleared me to fly until 36 weeks, and she gave me an official letter to bring on the trip in case anyone at the airport questioned me (no one did). My flight was short, too - about 1.5 hours - and the only uncomfortable part was the fact that I was in a seat that didn't recline, so I felt a little smushed with the belly. I left myself a little more time than usual to get around the airport, since I'm moving a little more slowly these days (and I wore flats instead of my usual heels ;). But otherwise, no complaints. Also, I flew to Europe at about 20 weeks, and that was fine too. I bought compression stockings and forgot to wear them, and got up to walk around once or twice and tried to stay as hydrated as possible....it was totally fine. Good luck!

And Poppy, thanks for the weight reassurance...that does make me feel better! Very exciting about the possible baby boy...keep us posted!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Tang and Pugs, your weight gain experiences both sound like mine. FWIW, mine dropped off a lot after 30 weeks or so (I'm almost at 37 now) and I think I'll come in just around 35 lbs total, which is within my doc's recommendations. JC, hope the ligament pain has eased up. I had it a lot but more sporadically. Not fun! Poppy, so exciting about the likely boy! I go to NWH, too, and we said no to hearing their prediction at the ERA just b/c we already had it in our heads we'd have to wait until 18 weeks and I think we weren't ready. Our guy told us he could have said with 95% certainty though. Good odds! RE: your pedicure experience, i've actually heard there are pressure points in the fret that can somehow stimulate labor. Sme massage therapists won't go near them on a pg woman! Considering I'm still sporting the gross remnants of my toenail polish from September ( doesn't feel like it matters so much when you can't see your feet), maybe I'll try a pedi!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Ok, am I so long winded that BDC is cutting me off? Was going to add to my last post but couldn't get the cursor to move any further. Oh well. Does anyone on here have chronic hypertension? I think I mentioned in my last post that mine is the reason my doc wants to induce if I don't go into labor before my due date. I trust her, but I'm skeptical only because I developed this condition recently (about 3 years ago), I am otherwise perfectly healthy, not even overweight, and my BP has been perfectly controlled by meds since I developed hypertension. My doc wants to induce b/c generally they're worried about decreased nutrients to the placenta in women with hypertension, but in my understanding that applies to people who had it untreated for a long time and have resultant artery or blood vessel damage, which I don't. They've also told me the placenta looks great in all my ultrasounds. I want a natural birth so would like to avoid Pitocin b/c it can increase intensity of contractions and make pain meds feel necessary. My doc suggested we try Misoprostol first but I'm freaked out by the rare but scary side effects it can have.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Ok, this stupid site cut me off again! Sorry for the multiple posts. To finish my last one, I'm just curious if anyone has the same condtion and, if so, what your doc has said. Right now I'm just worried about being pressed into an unnecessary induction b/c I fall into a very general category of patients when the reality of my case is that there would be no unusually high risk in going past my due date. Whew, sorry for all the detail. I just want to go into my next appt. as prepared as possible for the conversation I need to have with my doc and I always find other's experiences informative....

Sections
Shortcuts