February-Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: February-Pregnancy

Thanks to those of you who chimed in on the older sister/younger brother thing.  It's such foreign territory to me that I don't know what to think!  But i'm sure it will be fine.

Rama - A play date would be great!  And like you, I realized today (14.5 weeks) I really need to give up the thought that I can continue to stuff myself into my unforgiving work pants.

ETA: I suddenly think my deodorant might not be working anymore.  Could this be hormonal/pregnancy related?  I've been using the same deodorant (Dove) forever with no problem (that I am aware of).  Anyone have this happen?  Any deodorant recommendations?  I'm hoping I don't have to buy 12 to find one that works! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poppy, I've had fabulous deodorants that I've loved suddenly stop working.  Maybe it's hormonal, but not for me, lol.  If you are OK with a roll on, I have loved Kiss My Face for its light scent and effectiveness on odor and wetness for about 3 years now...some kind of kargiver record.  That link is a 6 pack, but at least you can see the description and read others' reviews (5 stars!).

ETA:  This is going to sound nuts, but my SIL is honestly psychic about the gender thing.  She's in her mid 40s, has 3 kids of her own, and has known lots of pregnant women.  She's predicted (if only to herself) every time and has not been wrong once

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Poppy - I ended up having to switch deodorant during my pregnancy too.  Mine was due to the scent of the deodorant.  All of the sudden with my super nose I couldn't handle it and had awful headaches.  I stood at the grocery store and smelled maybe 20 different ones before finally settling on one that had a very light scent. I use Secret and always have but I switched to the "powder" scent.

ETA: Congrats on reaching the halfway point, Nov.  And Kar I would love to meet your SIL.  I really enjoy hearing peoples predictions. I had a nightmare last night that my OB called me in for a surprise ultrasound and told us that we were having a girl.  Of course it was a nightmare because I really want to be surprised, I would love a girl, but nonetheless I woke up in a sweat. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I had a dream lastnight where we went in for our u/s and it was a girl. I could see her face, hair, everything. She had really cute hair and her eyes were open like she was looking at me. So weird!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Clc - that's so funny! Don't worry about your dreams giving anything away though. I have had half a dozen or so dreams about my LO, and in EVERY one it's a girl. Mind you, this is after receiving repeated confirmation that he's a boy! I even had one dream in which I was changing LO's diaper, someone mentioned his being a boy, and I got all annoyed and said "It's a girl, can't you SEE?" Thankfully I have a very clear u/s pic to confirm we won't be getting any major surprises :-).

Also on the topic of dreams, my mom has told me that since I first told her we were trying for a baby, she's been dreaming that SHE is pregnant/having a baby. The subconscious is so funny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Man, all this talk about gender is making it really hard for me to wait!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Today I finally have my first appointment but not until after work. I'm so nervous. Is there anything I need to do to prepare?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Cici - I would just bring a list of questions you want to ask the doc, as many or as few as you'd like to ask. Mine at the first appointment was long and full of things I already pretty much knew the answers to, but I wanted to have the doctor confirm. For me, the first appointment was a big relief just b/c it felt like it somehow confirmed the pregnancy more and b/c I had actual medical input about my bazillion questions. Good luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

not really cici. although, if you have a complex medical history- knowing who, what and when can be helpful. They will ask about birth defects and other complications in the family as well as your own health history.

I find the first appt kind of overwhelming (Even the second time).  There is a lot of info, paperwork to go through, etc. so I always tried to limit my expectations. but if you have questions or want certain types of info (e.g., referral to nutrition, a list of fish you can eat, etc.) bring a list to review. it is guaranteed once they start with the paperwork, any question you had will be long gone :) (except- is there really a baby in there?)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do they take urine or just blood at that appointment?  If so, make sure you don't pee before you go. :-o

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Be prepared to pee in a cup every time you go for an appointment.  I remember going to my second appt and the receptionist looking at me like I was an idiot because I didn't know the drill.  I learned quickly - check in, take cup, leave cup on shelf, come back to waiting roomm :o)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks ladies! I always have to pee so I'm not too worried about that. It's an evening appointment so I don't know if I'm just meeting with the midwife for an exam or if there will be someone available to do blood tests and whatever else. I was surprised they offered the appointment so late in the day. Now I'm actually wishing that I had changed it for something earlier because I feel the worst in the evening.
    Does DH normally go to the first appointment? He is so anxious for it that he took today off work. We don't even need to leave our house until after 5!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

DH came to all my appointments for my first pregnancy and plans to come to as many for my current (second) one. I would definitely encourage him to come to as many as possible - for the first one, it was good because they need to know not just your family history but his family medical history and some of the questions they ask, I would not have known from his side if he had not been there. I do not know if they do it for first appt in your OB/midwife practice, but my OB usually does one each appt for the first 3-4 months so it was cool for DH to see the little sac and heartbeat - and it made it more real to him then that I was pregnant with another person inside of me.

And later on, as I forgot more and more stuff, it was good for him to remind me of questions I had and to remember what the doctor told me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

oh- although the pee in a cup drill is a normal part of your visits- they made need a clean sample the first time. wait- they will tell you (and you will be there long enough to drink enough to pee)

definately bring DH!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

We had our anatomy u/s yesterday and learned that we are expecting a BOY!!!  We are trilled!  I did learn that I have an anterior placenta so sadly it will take a while for me the start feeling my boy.  We also had a 4-D u/s which was so cool.  I guess it really shows the movement but my baby must have fallen asleep!  So cute !  My heart melted have we heard the news!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats Pugs!!  How exciting!  Do you have a name picked out?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, just be prepared to answer A LOT of questions about medical past, family history, etc. They will ask if you're French Canadian, well at least did for me and I am so I had to be tested for Tay Saks (sp?). Also, they will probably take about 10-11 viles of blood. Bloodwork does not bother me so I was fine with it, but if you get woozy around that stuff, I would bring some gingerale and saltines to eat beforehand. Congrats, you will be amazed and totally relieved when you see that little heart beat :)

CONGRATS, Pugs! ANOTHER boy. Everyone I know is having or has a boy

AFM, now this is going to sound strange, but I feel like I am never hungry. For example, for breakfast I had a yogurt, a Dole fruit cup and some OJ and am just now getting more food for lunch. I wasn't hungry all day until really now, and I am only having soup and an avocado. Is there something wrong here, and am I starving my baby?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not to be a huge downer, but please do bring DH.  I have friends who had two miscarriages, both of which they found out about at her first appointments. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Congrats, Pugs!

Liz - My appetite has really vacillated throughout this pregnancy, including a few short bouts of much greater than normal appetite and probably more times when I was surprised how little I felt like eating (even before I got to the point I'm at now, where LO takes up so much room I CAN'T eat a lot!). What you're eating sounds normal, and as long as you're satisfied, I bet you're fine. Besides, though I'm not sure of the science, I've heard that the baby basically gets first dibs on nutrients, and if you're eating too little, you suffer rather than the LO. You can always ask your doc if you feel like you're getting way fewer calories than you should, but I'm sure you're getting all that the baby needs.

RE: Tay Sachs -- I don't think my doc ever asked about that, and I have some French Canadian blood (25% or less). I'm wondering if I should ask my doc or if this would have been covered in other tests. What did they say to you about it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thanks!!!

No names yet well, DH wants to name the baby after him but I really really do NOT like the name!  I think its going to be a battle.  He seem to not want to compromise.  Im kinda bummed out about it.  I feel that if I am the one carrying and giving birth to this baby then I get a say about it too!  And my MIL was agreeing with him last night when we revealed the sex and she doesnt even like the name either!  She gave him a nickname that he goes by.  But I get it she will always agreeS with her son.  But still it annoyed me!  Glad you asked?! ;)

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    Congrats Pugs!!  How exciting!  Do you have a name picked out?
    Posted by poppy609

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats on your baby boy, Pugs!  Find out the sex was so surreal!

Arcain - I don't think testing for Tay Sachs would have been covered by other tests.  Not that I think you should be alarmed or anything.  At my first visit, or one of the early ones anyway, they went over the ERA and all of the other optional tests, including Tay Sachs, which they did test for.

DH didn't come to my first visit.  Do other people remember if they even try to hear the heartbeat at that point?  I can't remember.  He came with me the next week when they did an ultrasound to date the pregnancy and then he came to the 18 week ultrasound and 2-3 other appointments throughout the pregnancy. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

That is a dilemma.  Could you just name your son the nickname?  Could you compromise on using it as his middle name?  How about a slightly different version of the name, telling him it's to avoid confusion?  How odd that his own mother doesn't like the name she picked for him!  Is it tradition in his family?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    Poppy - I ended up having to switch deodorant during my pregnancy too.  Mine was due to the scent of the deodorant.  All of the sudden with my super nose I couldn't handle it and had awful headaches.  I stood at the grocery store and smelled maybe 20 different ones before finally settling on one that had a very light scent. I use Secret and always have but I switched to the "powder" scent. ETA: Congrats on reaching the halfway point, Nov.  And Kar I would love to meet your SIL.  I really enjoy hearing peoples predictions. I had a nightmare last night that my OB called me in for a surprise ultrasound and told us that we were having a girl.  Of course it was a nightmare because I really want to be surprised, I would love a girl, but nonetheless I woke up in a sweat. 
    Posted by clc51510

If you want it to be a surprise, you better not meet her.  She's not good at keeping her predictions to herself, and she's NEVER wrong so it's as good as an u/s confirmation!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, yes, they often hear the heartbeat - that's how my friend found out she's miscarried.  And, her DH wasn't there because they didn't think of that possibility.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Congrats on your boy Pugs!!! How exciting! I have four nephews and they are so much fun :) Good luck with the name battle. I'm 100% on your side.

Kar - I totally understand your point. We are not planning anything or getting our hopes up until the doctors confirms that there is an actual live baby growing. I am definitely bringing DH. He's so anxious about it that there is no chance he would not go. My thoughts were more along the line of if he goes into the appointment with me. It sounds like he should but there are some things that I would feel weird discussing around him and I certainly don't need him watching the gynecological exam. Although we are married we still maintain a sense of privacy and it kinda freaks me out that the whole pregnancy thing may destroy it.

I wasn't expecting them to do an ultrasound or check for the heartbeat yet. I thought I had to wait until 12 weeks based off LMP - but I'm only 9 now (10 based on my calculation). I don't know where I got that in my head though.

Liz, thanks for the tips. I think your body knows what it needs and as long as you're eating healthy it should be fine. Have you been to a nutritionist? My insurance says it covers it during pregnancy, so if you're worried maybe you can look into it.

Sections
Shortcuts