February-Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: February-Pregnancy

arcain- if you have the normal genetic screen, the test for tay sachs is included.

congrats pugs on the boy.  good luck with the name discussion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cici, I think he can be there for the discussion after the exam if you'd like.  I totally understand keeping a bit of mystery and romance in the sex thing. :)  OR, he can spend the whole appointment in the waiting room and then will be called in if there's a problem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Fram, we didn't get any heartbeat attempt at our first appt, which was 8 weeks.  In fact it was just sitting in the intake nurse's office.  Kept all my clothes on!  But tons and tons of family history questions.  My DH is also french canadian, so when they took the 6 ot 7 vials of blood that visit, they tested me as a carrier for tay sachs.  I believe, just like cystic fibrosis, you both need to be carriers.  I wasn't for either, so they never needed to test my DH.  However, that visit I mentioned that I'd had some early spotting, so she ordered an early u/s, which was va9inal. (boy did that freak out my husband... "they put that where??").  So we did get to see the heartbeat instead of hear it... which was just about the coolest thing ever.

Poppy, when you say deodorant has "stopped working," for odor or wetness?  If the former, I use the clinical strength stuff from Secret.  Its much more expensive though.  I notice it most in the summer wearing sleeveless shirts and that stuff works! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

You won't likely have a heartbeat check at your first appointment (how far along are you/do you think you are?)  My first pregnancy I brought DH to the first appointment and he waited in the waiting room during the internal exam (his choice, I didn't care) then the nurse called him in for questions/answers. 

A lot of practices will do a "dating" ultrasound, or a "viability" ultrasound at or near that first visit, just to check that everything's on course.  It is nice when they do that because you get visual confirmation of that little creature in there (and like IPW said, you do get to see the heartbeat during that)!  If you go in and say "Gee, I have no idea when my last period was because we weren't trying" they might be more likely to do the ultrasound. :)

ETA: IPW, it was the odor I noticed first (ew, sorry, tmi), but I think it had stopped working on both counts!  Funny you mention the secret clinical - apparently I had tried that once because I found an old one in amongst my bathroom stuff this morning!  It seems to be doing the trick!  (for now...)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

cici- typically, only a vag exam if you haven't had a pap in two years. otherwise, no exam. if you have an ultrasound (which I have done first session both times) it may be vag or on your belly. They will sometimes try on your belly first- but if it doesn't work, they will do a vag. one. I have never heard the heartbeat at the first visit- usually doppler works best at 12-15 weeks. (they will do that during your next visit).

bring him in, but let him know if there is any naked stuff you want to pull the curtain or have him step out. and honestly, if he will be there for delivery... and you are doing it vaginally, some of this will be exposed then.  I get the whole wanting to keep some mystery, but I think that actual child birth really changes that.  For example, first time, the breast enlargement during pregnancy was sooo exciting for DH, but now that he has watched me BF for over a year, I don't think that he thinks of the "girls" as being his anymore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Yes, don't freak out if they can't hear a heart beat at 9 weeks. They can see it on an early u/s at that point but it's totally normal if they can't hear it. In fact, at my 12 week appt the doc said that it's even normal for some women not to hear a HB until the 16 week appointment. Usually they will do a dating u/s to check for viability around 8-9 weeks (definitely act like you can't remember the date of your last period or say you have irregular cycles and insurance is likely to cover it). My first appointment they did an internal exam like a pap and then I had my blood pressure and weight checked, got blood drawn and peed in a cup. Then filled out some forms and answered questions. My DH came but was in the waiting room for the internal exam. GL at the appointment! So exciting!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thanks Everyone!!!

Poppy - Yes it is family tradition to name the boy after their father so thats why MIL named him his name.  He has a nick name that he goes by but he does not want our child to have a nick name.  His reasoning is when he received a check for his bday, he could never cash it because it was written out to his nick name.  This also happened when we were married.  Luckily the bank knows us so it wasnt a problem.  Im just going to say it...  Ronald No offense to anyone out there with a Ronald but it just isnt on my short list.  But we have time to decide on something that we both like!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks everyone! I am hoping to at least schedule a dating ultrasound soon. In fact my cycles are irregular and I tested positive when it should've been physically impossible (like 2 or 3dpo based on LMP) so I'm crossing my fingers they will allow it.

Pugs - I completely hear you on not wanting certain names that in theory we should use. I'm really not a fan of my dad's name but will feel a little bad if we don't use it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Pugs, congrats on your little boy! So exciting. And I feel you have every right to NOT name him Ronald. You get at least 50% of the input, which includes veto power, in my mind ;)

Cici, I was going to say that I did not, and still haven't, had an internal exam at my ob's office. I had two early ultrasounds due to the whole fertility treatment thing, both of which were internal and both of which DH attended (I was draped and he couldn't see a thing). I'm guessing that if they do a dating u/s for you today (I hope they do!), it may well be an internal one, and I'm betting DH wouldn't want to miss that! I'm the same - not too psyched about DH being present for any internal exams, even though I know he'll see everything during the birth - and the internal ultrasounds were no big deal. But maybe in part because I'd had about a hundred of them during all the fertility monitoring.

Oh, and about the heartbeat, yeah, I don't think my doc wanted to even attempt it until 12 weeks for fear that they wouldn't find it and I'd freak out. I think she offered, tentatively, to do it at about 11 weeks, so of course I jumped at the chance and luckily they found it. But I wouldn't imagine they'll offer that to you today.

About peeing in a cup - the first couple months of my pregnancy, I did that at every appointment, but apparently ACOG has stopped recommending that as routine practice, so I no longer have to do it. Anyone else experiencing that? They just go on blood pressure and the glucose challenge test to watch for GD.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Congrats, Pugs! Liz - My appetite has really vacillated throughout this pregnancy, including a few short bouts of much greater than normal appetite and probably more times when I was surprised how little I felt like eating (even before I got to the point I'm at now, where LO takes up so much room I CAN'T eat a lot!). What you're eating sounds normal, and as long as you're satisfied, I bet you're fine. Besides, though I'm not sure of the science, I've heard that the baby basically gets first dibs on nutrients, and if you're eating too little, you suffer rather than the LO. You can always ask your doc if you feel like you're getting way fewer calories than you should, but I'm sure you're getting all that the baby needs. RE: Tay Sachs -- I don't think my doc ever asked about that, and I have some French Canadian blood (25% or less). I'm wondering if I should ask my doc or if this would have been covered in other tests. What did they say to you about it?
    Posted by Arcain[/QUOTE]

Acrain, it is just more common among French Candians, I am also 50%, as my dad is 100%. I remember they also mentioned it to my brothers wife in both of her pregnancies, even though she has no trace of FC in her, but obviously, my brother does.  They test through blood, and they may even test everyone. I was just told about it when I told them my background. It is very uncommon.

They did an u/s to determine my due date. I was 6 weeks a long and I saw a little tiny bean with a heart beat. I guess every office is different. I have never had an internal exam, which surprises me because everyone I know, does. I've never heard the heart beat, though.

Pugs, I have an anterior placenta as well. The other night I was laying in bed seriously thinking "Am I really pregnanct?!" I feel totally normal, and I can't feel the LO yet, so it's so hard to believe, still, after 17 weeks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Congrats Pugs!

My experience at my first appointment- I was just about 8 weeks along. DH came with me, and was in the room as well. I peed in a cup, got weighed/height measured, had an internal exam/pap smear, went through the giant packet of health history they sent me weeks earlier to fill out, and was sent for bloodwork. No ultrasound that day nor attempts to hear the heartbeat- it was way too early at that point (more on that later). However, in the between my BFP and the first OB appt, my symptoms greatly decreased, so I was very worried I had miscarried or was going to. After expressing my fears to the NP (and crying in the process, of course), she acknowledged that even though things looked good from her exam, my fears were still valid and she sent me for a viability u/s the next day. Luckily our little rice krispie looked perfect :)

Later on at 12 weeks, the OB tried to hear the heartbeat. He could not find it, but told us not to worry as sometimes you can't hear it with a doppler til 14 weeks or later. So we had a spur of the moment u/s right in the OB's office...and of course he couldn't find LO after several tries of an internal u/s, but finally found her in there after a good 10 minutes. Apparently she found a GREAT hiding spot and managed to give her parents a near heart attack in the process.

The moral of my long winded story is not to panic if they don't try to hear the heartbeat at your first appt, or don't do an ultrasound, and even at your next appointment if they can't hear the HB right away.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I think I only have had an internal exam when pregnant when I've been due for a pap anyway (since my OB is also my GYN and has been since I was like 21).

Interesting... I've never peed in a cup at any OB appointment aside from the first one when they draw blood.  However I do have to pee on a little strip every time to check for protein in my urine.  I just changed practices and it will be interesting to see if they do things differently there.

Summer, you poor thing, you must have been a bit distressed until they finally located your girl in there!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

So I had my fetalechocardiogram today, along with a stress test (O2 sats, ekg, big face mask for measuring breathe intake volume, all while pedaling on a resistance bike, etc.) for my heart.  Everythings fine with me, which is great.  I knew that already.  I know what symptoms to watch for and I wasn't too concerned.
    The fetalecho went really well.  It took about 2 hours because this one is a feisty one and it was hard for them to get the pictures they needed.  It's all good, though.  Absolutely no chance of pulmonary stenosis (one of my issues at birth that can be genetic) and everything looks absolutely perfect. 

My OB said this one is measuring a little bigger than average.  DD measured small the whole time and is a petite little thing, so we'll see if this one is a boy or just a big girl haha.  It's definitely more tempting to find out the sex this time around, but I'm still happy about keeping it a surprise. 

Then, when I got home I discovered my neighbor's granddaughters had dropped off the Girl Scout Cookies I'd ordered.  So today is a triumphant and glorious day in the lissafro householdLaughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Arcain, they include the tay sachs screening in the regular blood draws early on in pregnancy.  I am part French Canadian and my husband is Ashkenazi Jewish, so we had risk factors on both sides.  But since I'm not a carrier he didn't even have to get tested.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: February-Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]So I had my fetalechocardiogram today, along with a stress test (O2 sats, ekg, big face mask for measuring breathe intake volume, all while pedaling on a resistance bike, etc.) for my heart.  Everythings fine with me, which is great.  I knew that already.  I know what symptoms to watch for and I wasn't too concerned. The fetalecho went really well.  It took about 2 hours because this one is a feisty one and it was hard for them to get the pictures they needed.  It's all good, though.  Absolutely no chance of pulmonary stenosis (one of my issues at birth that can be genetic) and everything looks absolutely perfect.  My OB said this one is measuring a little bigger than average.  DD measured small the whole time and is a petite little thing, so we'll see if this one is a boy or just a big girl haha.  It's definitely more tempting to find out the sex this time around, but I'm still happy about keeping it a surprise.  Then, when I got home I discovered my neighbor's granddaughters had dropped off the Girl Scout Cookies I'd ordered.  So today is a triumphant and glorious day in the lissafro household
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

Glad all your tests went well!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lissa - so glad the tests went well for both of you!  You must be relieved (except for the "big" part... but I'm sure that will be fine too).

Oh, and please send me your address. We just ran out of Girl Scout Cookies at my house.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Great news Lissa...both with your tests today and on the Girl Scout cookie delivery! 

I go tomorrow for my ERA ultrasound and bloodwork.  It's so stressful, but fingers and toes crossed that everything looks okay.  Once I get through that, I can finally tell work what's going on.  I work in a very small office that is pretty tight-knit, so it's been hard keeping the secret for the last few weeks! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Glad your tests went well, Lissa!

BTW - I am sorry I keep posting in the pregnancy thread!  I feel like the Energizer bunny lately zooming through everything with plenty of time for bdc.

It is all coming back to me know... At my first appointment, I was only 8 weeks along, so they didn't check for a heartbeat (ended up that I was actually 9 once I had the dating u/s a week later and it showed 10).  I had recently had a pap, so they didn't need to do that.  I think it was mostly chatting and maybe they poked around my abdomen, and then lots of blood draws.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

lissa - Glad to hear that everything went so well! 

RI - Good Luck tomorrow.  Ill keep my fingers crossed!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Yea, totally peed all over my hand at the 37 week appt!! It was so disgusting. I cannot see a thing under there, so I just kinda started going and then ... yep.  I think next week I'm just going to ask to take the stick in with me, that is an ingenious idea (and what my last OB office did anyway!)

I am 37w4d today and feeling pretty miserable!  The baby is so very low during pregnancy #2 that I literally fear my water breaking everytime I am standing or walking.  Still have 2 more weeks of work... cannot wait to be done and meet this little girl.  Arcain- thinking of you during this week as well, we are both sooo close!  I asked her to strip my membranes at the 39 week appt and she agreed. I think i'm also going to ask if she can check my cervix next appt (38wks) even though they do not believe in it becuase of how little it means for labor/your due date... but I still feel like I have to know!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Lissa, so glad the tests went well! And yay on the cookies! I got 5 boxes yesterday. Poor DH is trying to lose weight, so I promised to eat them all:). Hughkona, I was just wondering how you were doing! Sorry to hear you're feeling so crappy. Almost there! My LO is pretty low too and I had to stop like 3 times just walking to my car after work yesterday b/c I was feeling so much pressure down there! Booooo to 2 more weeks of work. That's what I have planned for now but it's looking like I probably won't make it that long.... I had a growth ultrasound today. Apparently they weren't supposed to check growth today bc they just did last week but the tech was missing last week's results, so she did the growth estimate and it appears my little guy hasn't put on ANY weight in the last week, and he's only about 5 1/2 lbs. There is a margin of error of about 1/2 lb on either end and everything else, including bp, umbilical blood flow, amniotic fluid, baby's movement and heart rate are all good, but my doc has me on a very short leash now. She's going to consult with the maternal fetal medicine docs and depending on what they say, I could be induced as soon as next week. I've gone from agonizing over not wanting induction drugs to being worried that the LO could be born under 6 lbs or could stay in there not gaining weight...neither sounds good to me. I know he'll probably be fine but 5 1/2 lbs just sounds so small. Preemie moms out there, feel free to slap me for saying that....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Ugh, Arcain, that's too bad.  You should try not to obsess too much about it though.  In-utero weight estimates are based largely on femur length.  They told me my DD was going to be very small.  They were right, she is a petite little thing, but she wasn't ridiculously small or anything, she was 6lbs 9oz.  They were prepared for her to be in the 5s.  But she just has short little femurs haha.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

oh man arcain that is crazy!  As awful as it is, I am totally jealous!! I would love a growth ultrasound. They don't do much for me at appts- my last official u/s was the 18week anatomy scan.  Nothing since then... its so unfair!  I am worried that my baby might be big (no reason... just a fear lol!).  What is your uterus measuring at? I've been measuring 38cm (weeks) at 36weeks and 37wk appts.  As a nicu nurse though, 5.5lbs is really ok.  He might seem a little "small" to you, but most people would probably not notice a thing.  I would love to have a 5lb-er baby, but probably 6-7 is more standard.  Its all relative.  He'll catch up very quickly if he does have to come sooner than expected.  Have they told you if your cervix has started changing yet? There is a scale that can tell you have ripe your cervix is and therefore how much of a candidate you are for an induction.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

This is an ignorant question, I know, but if your LO is measuring small, why would they induce early?  They think he won't grow any more in there?  Or, they think he'd grow faster out here?  I've got to be missing something important about this...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

kar- if the baby is small and not growing, then there can sometimes be something wrong with the transfer of nutrition.

as for size- I think that there is a margin- and you have to keep in mind that they can be wrong.  I agree with lissa- sometimes not representative. thank goodness mine were wrong (but the other direction), part of the reason I was induced last time was that they thought the baby was already 9.5 pounds. he was only 9 at delivery, but thank goodness they were wrong.

Sections
Shortcuts