February Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: February Updates

RHM - how exciting!!

Does anyone know of any good, inexpensive prenatal yoga classes in the Somerville/Cambridge/Arlington area?  Isis maternity has them but they are quite expensive... I've seen one or two others in my online search, but it seems to me there should be more around... Would love any recommendations!

Also, if you've done any videos, I would love those recommendations as well.  If I can't find a good class that is convenient, maybe I'll get a video!

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Thanks, ladies! I am getting a little nervous/excited.

poppy - I used this DVD and really liked it: http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Yoga-Shiva-Rea/dp/B0000BYNMH

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

WOW -- I haven't really checked in here in a long time!  Since DD now goes to bed at 6 I feel like I have a life again and get so much done!   There is so much going on here!

rhm -- good luck!!   I am going to be checking in so much more now to see how you are doing when you deliver.  I can't wait to see what you have and am so psyched for you that you are waiting to find out -- seriously BEST surprise every!!    Good Luck!

Good Luck to everyone else out there.   Lots of new(er) additions to the boards that I don't recognize but congrats to all!!

I also wanted to say, I am sad to read some neagtive posts about the practice About Women By Woman.  I used this practice and LOVED them.  In the course of all my appts I met all the docs and felt very comfortable with them amd wouldn't have minded if any one of them delivered me.  I thought the NP's were AMAZING -- I called A LOT and they were always so patient with me, answered all my questions and always got me in for an appt if I need to check in about something.  My doctor is Dr Clark she is just the nicest, most gentle caring person you can imagine.  She ended up delivering me and she was so wonderful the whole time.  She dealt with my crazy quirks and she really gave me a lot of positive feedback to help me get through.   I will say that in the beginning I was a little turned off by how quick  my monthly appts seemed to be and how the docs sometimes seemed disinterested but my mom reminded me that 1.) OB offices are like a factory; they see a lot of women for a veriety of issues and 2.) a lot of times the docs are on all night at the hospital and then come to work at the office so they are tired, and 3.) the monthly appts are so quick and routine.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

happy2b - I'm glad you had a good experience with AWBW.  It's good to hear that not all of their patients were unhappy!  I want to clarify that i LOVE my doctor, but usually see him at NWH - I only went to AWBW a few times when I had some issues going on.  My experience was that the front office was not very pleasant, then when I went to have my procedure they couldn't find the machine and then weren't sure how to use the machine and the nurse who was assisting basically said out loud something like, "Do I really need to be here?  I have better things to do" or something very much like that (it was about 15 years ago).  I was upset because the procedure was basically going to tell me if I had cervical cancer and my 21-year-old self couldn't believe they were clueless and uncaring.  Maybe that was just a fluke, or maybe they've changed after 15 years, but you know how a couple of negative experiences can make up your mind about something forever...

That is good insight about what to expect from monthly appointments - I am only 6 weeks along and haven't been in yet, so I'll have to remember not to get my feelings hurt if they don't treat me like the only pg woman on the planet, LOL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

RHM - I am sooo excited for you!  I hope you are feeling well.
    Occ - I am praying for you, your husband and your little one!

I had my first ultrasound today at 5 weeks 3 days.  It showed gestational sac and yolk sac.  They said that was all they expected to see.  Will go back again next week.  I wish I could be one of those people who find out they are pregnant at 7 months.  :)  The waiting game is a killer just like in TTC. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

LIL - yay for the first BFP u/s! I distinctly remember seeing the sac - looked like a UFO to me - lol! Hoping for many more good events for you.

Trouble - forgot to mention - my due date is 3/6 so I've got 2.5 weeks to go until then (if I make it until then).

OCC - still thinking of you and your family - hoping for good progress and happy times.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Luck, I think those people tend to either be 14, or give birth in bathrooms.  :)  But I agree!  I can't wait for the next [appointment/week to pass/milestone/snack/opportunity to sleep].  I feel like I'm constantly watching the clock/calendar with my fingers crossed. 

I'm lurking between here and TTC as I don't want to jinx myself.  Ten weeks tomorrow -- woot.  Thinking of all you ladies!!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Oh I hear you GC.  I am so worried about jinxing myself too!  :)
    We hover on the ttc/pregnancy fence!  Ten weeks is awesome though!

I was just happy that things looked good since I had that bleeding.  I know I will feel much better after seeing the heartbeat or more, likely, I will find something else to obsess about. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ditto the last 3 ladies.  IPW I'm right after you - March 5 at 8 weeks.  I think on March 7 we are going to tell our families.  That is, as long as we have a good appointment!

LIL - it must have been so nice to actually see evidence in there!!  Congrats. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi all to all newly pregnant ladies!  Yes, welcome to the wonderful new world of waiting and worrying!  :)  Is this our life from now on? 

Here's 2 pieces of advice I wish someone would have offered me early on about the whole phenomenon: (1) don't worry about every little thing - your body generally knows what its doing.  I mean, it's making a baby all on it's own! (2) If you are really concerned about something, call you doc/midwife rather than google and make yourself nuts with all the one-offs there are out there on the net.

AFM, I have nothing new to report.  Everything is status quo at 29 weeks and counting!  I'm starting to get really nervous about the baby's arrival though as I enter the final few months of the pregnancy waiting game!  Surprised

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Trouble - just wait until you only have a little over 2 weeks left! I'm starting to get nervous and waking up in the middle of the night with a million thoughts about the big event. Surprised

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Poppy- they're different practices.  I've gone to both and prefer Women's Health Associates.  I saw Dr. August at both practices, but she's since left medicine. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

RHM - I bet!  How nervous are you?  Is it nervousness or fear or excitement?  Or maybe a combination?  So very excited for you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

All of the above.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

rhm--your pregnancy has gone by very quickly (for me)!  Best of luck to you over the next couple of weeks.  I'm looking forward to hearing about how wonderful your little one is!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

rhm, I can't believe you are so close!! It seems like only yesterday (at least to me) that you announced your BFP on here.  Good luck with the last couple of weeks/days and with the labor and delivery.  Can't wait to hear your birth story!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

rhm - I forgot to thank you for posting your yoga video info! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

Trouble - you started your nat child birth at NWH - right?  How is that going, do you like it so far?  We start in March. 
    Congrats to the newbies and RHM good luck with everything!  You are in a whole new waiting game!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Thanks, ladies! Tomorrow I'm in a whole new 2 week waitLaughing

poppy - what did you end up deciding to do with the pre-natal yoga? What I liked about that DVD is that they have three women for the different trimesters so you know what adjustments you need to make.

trouble - I was also wondering what you thought of your natural cb class.

btw, I think it's great that there are several of you that are just starting out together. it's good to share that time.

Speaking of which - BE - how are you doing??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BE2Be. Show BE2Be's posts

Hi all,

Our DD is here!!  My water broke on Sunday afternoon while I was putting new sheets on the bed.  It started off as a trickle and quickly turned into a gush.  Within a few minutes I had soaked an entire pad. (I had been worried I wouldn't know when my water broke but it was very obvious to me what was happening).   Luckily, DH was home (and we had just finished installing the carseat).  I tested GBS positive so the doc wanted me to get to NWH within an hour or so.  We scrambled to pack a hospital bag (most of which I realized I didn't need since I spent the entire hospital stay wearing a johnny), dropped off the dog and went to the hospital.  I was having contractions but they were so minor that I didn't feel them or realize I was having them until the nurse hooked me up to a monitor.  I was only a fingertip dialated so they started Pitocin.  Within a few hours I was having very painful contractions. I got an epidural around 3 cms dialated and actually went to sleep for the night.  When I woke up the next morning I was 6-7 cm and then I took another nap and woke up at 10 cm.  I pushed for an hour, which didn't hurt b/c of the epidural, but was a lot of work, and out she came!  She weighed 6 lbs, 10 oz and was 19.5 inches long.  Not bad for a 38 weeker! 

We are home now and generally doing well.  She has had some issues with jaundice and we are trying to work on breastfeeding techniques and hoping my milk comes in soon.   DD is amazing and we are trying to enjoy every sleepless moment. 

GL to RHM and all you others!! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

BE - congrats on your lo being here!! Sounds like everything worked out well, especially with your water breaking at home on a weekend and a fairly decent labor. And you thought I'd be ahead of you since I'm already starting to dilate and efface. Trying to remember - when was your due date?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

BE - congratulations on DD arriving!!  So exciting!  I love your birth story - I hope mine is very similar, LOL!  Good luck with the breastfeeding!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

RHM - ditto about the video info - i would imagine one would NEED alternative positions when getting bigger and bigger!  I'm still trying to find a class but if I can't, might go for the video (even though my livingroom is tiny and I'm not sure there'd be room...)

IPW - I'm in Somerville, but would travel to Danvers/Peabody if the class was really good and also affordable! :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BE2Be. Show BE2Be's posts

Thanks, all.

RHM - my due date was March 1.  My water broke at 37 weeks and 6 days and she came at 38 weeks exactly.  I can't wait for your story!!

IPW - I didn't get sick from Pitocin at all, nor did I have any issues with the epidural.  I generally have a good stomach and tolerate meds fairly well.  I did have a little problem with one effect of the epidural which was to basically numb my legs.  At first I could still wiggle my toes but after they boosted my pain meds I couldn't move my legs at all. Kind of freaked me out a little bit. The problem was that while I was pushing I strained a few muscles pretty bad - one in my butt and one in my lower back. But no issues with getting sick from the drugs themselves. 

AFM - we had a visiting nurse come here this morning and it was so reassuring to be able to ask her all of our questions.  DD has mild jaundice and we were pretty worried about her but the nurse was here long enough to weigh her and have a chanc to examine her skin tone and (lucky for her!) see one of her poopy diapers.  She also helped me a little by watching me breastfeed and offer some advice. My milk has come in and DD latches on well so bfeeding going pretty well. My nipples are very sore and i'm hoping that will go away soon.

If you can, I'd urge everyone to ask at the hospital about the visiting nurse option.  Its a benefit that insurance companies offer when you discharge from the hospital earlier than you need to.  So, for example, our DD was born at 1:00 p.m on monday so we were required to leave the hospital by 1;00 on Wednesday.  We left around 11:00 on Wednesday but b/c that was "early" we were eligible for the nurse to come.  It was great to have someone to assess DD and just offer some assurance that all was well.  Worth looking into!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Be2be - Congrats on the birth of your DD!  Sounds like you did have an amazingly easy labor and delivery - so lucky!  Great tip about the visiting nurse too. 

RHM and Austin - Unfortunately, my natural childbirth class was cancelled last week due to the snow.  So disappointing, when did 6 inches turn into a problem for MA?  Anyway,  it'll start next week instead and I'll keep you posted.  RHM, I might not be able to give you any tips though because it sounds as if you'll pop before then!

Poppy and IPW: Good for you starting Yoga so early!  I kept meaning to start, and finally got a mat and DVD last weekend.  The DVD is Baby Ready Yoga with Shiva Rea, and I got it at Marshalls and it came with a mat, band and block for around $15.  It also has 3 ladies in the 3 different trimesters.  I was so bummed how limited my range of motion is though.  I've always thought of myself as flexible, but this big bump really gets in the way when bending down.  I think it would have been better to start earlier. 

AFM, DH and I put our deposit down for daycare today and I'm just soooo relieved.   We're doing part time to start and then will increase it from there.  We found such a great place and I know others who send their kids there too so I'm super comfortable.  A big item to cross off the to-do list for this week!!

Sections
Shortcuts