February Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: February Updates

ajuly - PlumSmart juice has the same fiber as prune juice, but is more juice-like, less thick. Try switching any white grains (rice, flour, etc.) to the brown or whole versions, but that only gets you so far. Also increase your fluid intake. My NP recommended an herbal tea that helped you "go" but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Also, if you have increased your fiber and fluid to the point you can't stand it any more, it might be time to try colace.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Ajuly - miralax, but make sure you drink a good amount of water and stay away from gassy foods.  Should really help alot.  And for some serious "go" power, add some tea called "smooth move." But call the OB office first to make sure all the ingreedients are ok.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Hmm, I wonder if I will like plum/prune juice, I've never had it.    DH told me I need to cut cheese out of my diet too.. oh the horrror!! I'm not sure I can do that!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

ajuly - I liked the plum juice, not a fan of prune juice. But either one has fiber, plus it is already a liquid, so that boosts your fluid intake as well. Smooth Move Tea - That's what it was called! My NP reccomended it to me, but check with your providers to be sure that its OK.
    I've never heard that cutting out cheese will help, but you could try it for a while if you are desperate.
    I also found that a Dunkin Donuts coffee would sometimes help. (The ads really should say America gets the runs on Dunkin.) Plus as was previously pointed out, caffeine can aid in motility.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Pugs - I am so jealous!!  I haven't dropped yet.  Although it could be hard to tell because I've carried low the whole time.  But I definitely don't feel any different.  And I haven't had an internal exam yet so I have no clue if I'm dilated at all.  My next appt is on Thursday, so I'll find out then.

Glad to hear you had a productive weekend as well!  I feel so ready.

Random thought - If you're into taking photos, a friend suggested I take one before we leave for the hospital.  She wishes she had one so she could see how big she was at the very end.  We've been trying to take weekly bump photos, so I'll try to remember one last photo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I don't believe Smooth Move tea is safe for pregnancy so please do check with your OB before taking it!  It's the ingredient senna that's not so great for you.  (It definitely works, I've used it, just not during pregnancy!)  I've only ever heard of Colace being recommended and perfectly safe and very effective!  And of course, lots and lots of water!  Oh, and I also agree with amy-lynn, that if you are already drinking coffee, Dunkins should get you going (iced works for me - I can drink it fast and then blamo, literally.) 

Pugs and Fram, can't believe you're so close and that you're already talking dropping and dialation! 

And good suggestion of taking a photo right before going into the hospital! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Well Fram I think you're a bit shorter than I am, so maybe it won't be as noticeable when you do drop?  I'm 5'5", which isn't tall by any means, but I was carrying very high so it was obvious when I did.  It's so weird...her butt used to be right up under my right breast, and now I can feel and see it poking me in the side, where my obliques used to be.  LOL!

Now that I'm so close to the end, I keep thinking about all the things I can't wait to do once I'm not pregnant anymore.  I'm sooo looking forward to sleeping on my stomach, raw sushi, turkey subs, and a martini!  What is everybody else looking forward to?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ajuly - Coffee definitely helps me go.  And I've seen Colace recommended on these boards many times. 

Sprout - It's totally surreal!  Up until about 2 weeks ago, this pregnancy had gone by so quickly, but now it's dragging.

You nailed it, Pugs - I can NOT wait to sleep on my back!!  At this point I can't even sit on the couch and lean back on my back.  I also can't wait to eat a turkey & swiss sandwich, or maybe an Italian.  I guess a glass of white wine would be nice, but I'm not a big drinker so I haven't been dying for that as much as other things.

And you're right - I'm only 5'1" with a fairly short torso, so maybe that would make it less obvious if things have shifted.  They definitely think she is head down, so I have to be happy with that news for now.

Noticing some new symptoms... Hands are swollen today.  Might have to stop wearing the e-ring after all.  My butt and tailbone have been a bit sore the past week or so, when I sit for a while.  Seems like a logical symptom.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Anyone want to report in on sciatica in the middle of the third month, I'm 14.5 weeks now.  What the heck already.  I'm expecting it for months 6+ but now is just not fair!  My backside is hurting all the time now.  I just ordered myself a new heating pad but I can't imagine having to use it in the middle of July when I know I will really be in pain.

Did anyone see a chiropractor for it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I am SO looking forward to a big sub! MMM. Also a beer, I took a sip from DH's and forgot what I was missing. It tasted so good!  

Sarah, I used to go to the chiropractor for lower back problems, it wasn't sciatica, but I know this is very common in pg. I am sure going would help you out. I have been okay so far in this pg and will go if I need to.  My chiro. is in Acton but we moved and am so far away from the office now.  I liked the office so much that I may drive all the way there if I need to.  Let me know if you want the information for the office! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Pugs - I hear you on starting to look forward to things we can have right now.  All I ever want to eat is sushi and next up is a huge italian sub!  I don't really crave drinks, but there are some nights when I get home from work that I would love to have a glass of wine! 

After taking our natural childbirth class - we were instructed to have our partner say something to us that would be motivating with each contraction (your one contraction closer, you're closer to meeting the baby, etc - whatever works for you) So of course I told DH to say to me - "you're one step closer to sushi" and to have it ordered as soon as the baby arrives.  I told my NP this and she said that sounded great unless I plan to BF...which I do, because you can't eat sushi when you are BFing.  has anyone else heard this??  So now i'm willing to settle for second best - an italian sub. 

I can't believe some of you are so close - I feel close but so far away at 33 weeks.  I have been having sciatica as well and right now trying to tolerate it.  NP said to try and get 2 massages/month.  Right now I am getting 1/month.  I am tempted to go see my chiro if it gets any worse.  The numbness is especially bad at yoga, which really bums me out. 
    I have been leaving my rings off because I am just nervous, although e-ring still fits ok.  The other night we went to dinner and I looked down at my sausage fingers and was mortified!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Ajuly, I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. I found that eating pears helped.  

We went crib shopping again this weekend and are down to 2 cribs.  We like the Pali Volterra and the Munire Lexington.  Does anyone have either of these two models?  They are pretty much the same cost and look similar, so I have to just pick one, though I can't decide!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm surprised to hear that, SLP.  I thought the concern with sushi is that you could get food poisoning while pregnant because your immune system isn't as strong.  Once you're no longer pregnant, it's not a concern anymore.  Might be worth double checking - for both you and I!  I thought the list of things to avoid was much shorter while breastfeeding - alcohol, caffeine, what else??

ETA: I wonder if it's a mercury issue, but if that's the case you could just avoid tuna sushi.  Can't think of too many other high mercury fish that I eat in sushi...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I'm not a sushi fan so it hasn't been an issue for me bfing but my SIL ate sushi while breastfeeding all the time...it was one of her most missed food too.  I would ask again about it.

Babycenter says to limit the amount of fish you eat because of mercury but it doesn't say you cannot eat it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

ajuly - your DH is probably correct.  My son has issues with constipation and his pedi told us to cut out cheese.  He also takes miralax every day.  If I remember correctly I was told colace was what I could use while PG.  So, if you are going to take something you should probably check with your OB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

July - please let me know who your chiro is, that's awesome.  And they take prenatal patients I'm assuming.

As for sushi, I ate it while breast feeding but in moderation and I ALWAY stay away from the high mercury fish anyway.  I've been eating it all through this pregnancy too with no issues (mostly salmon and CA and shrimp rolls).  There is more bad stuff in the salad bar at work and the nitrates in bacon and deli meats than contaminents in the sushi place I go to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Senna is the herbal active ingredient in "natural" laxative teas, and the brand we have says that it's not approved for pg.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Bostonslp-The sushi concern for breastfeeding is high mercury fish.

Ajuly - Ask your doctor about the smooth move tea- My NP reccomended it, for occaisonal use when I was pregnant.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, usually "not approved" means it was never tested in a gov't approved test.  Doctors/NPs probably know more of the real deal about it; the senna tea company doesn't want to be sued so they err on the side of caution with the warnings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Especially an herbal tea, which is not considered a drug, even though the ingredient (Senna) is used in Senokot, which is a drug. There is probably no testing of the safety (although the website for the tea does test its herbs for potency using European pharmacopeia standards (I don't think the USP has herbal standards)).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I think I'm way too early to be thinking about the things I want after pregnancy is over because I'll just drive myself crazy.  But Fram, I am with you - I will happily forego the margarita I'm craving to be able to sleep on my back!  I'm a fine side-sleeper, but I always wind up on my back to give my hips a rest.  I wake up every night and pout to DH. 

Oooh, Wed - I've been eating pears like a madwoman lately and have been very regular...never made the connection!  Ajuly, I'm with Wed on that one! 

Sarah - I'm a victim of mild sciatica, too.  I am afraid of chiropractors so I just keep up with my gym routine and include lots and lots of stretching.  Seems to help. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Sarah it's called De Vita chiropractic on great road. Here's the link

http://www.devitachiropractic.com/

It's a father and a son, I see the son, Jamal. Tom the father is great too.  He uses the activator, which I really liked instead of cracking things with their hands.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from newtothis. Show newtothis's posts

I just had my first u/s! I'm exactly 7 weeks now! It's so amazing to see that little heart beat. DH came with me and he was so nervous on the way in, it was so sweet to see. This is all feeling real to me now!

Best part was we went to lunch after, a little lunch date for us, the first time we've eaten out without our LO, it's been years! We were both looking at each other and laughing since we didnt' know what to do without chasing after a 3 year old and trying to eat. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Congrats new!  That's the best seeing that little heartbeat for the first time...  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

That is so exciting NewtoThis!  It really does make it all real!  And congrats on finally having a meal out without your little one!  Three years is a long time!  :)

I hope all the near term ladies are doing well!  So exciting to be near the finish line :) 

AFM, I'm hanging in there at 14 weeks now.  Waiting on my 2nd blood draw for the early risk assessment so I can finally tell everyone!  It's weird - I think everyone at work knows.  I've been getting such weird comments recently.  My DH says I am showing, but I told him it's just the belly flab I still have from #1.  Maybe I am showing.  I hear you generally start to show earlier with #2, but 14 wks is very early!

I'm also annoyed with my doc office.  I loved them with #1, but now everyone always seems to rushed and not as nice or accomodating on the phone.  How could it have changed so much?  Frustrating!  I'm having my next DA with my OB rather than a CNM so I can discuss the risks of having a VBAC since my deliveries will be fairly close together.  I feel like the CNMs are pushing the VBAC because that's what they do and I want to make sure I do what is best for me and the baby, and I will value his opinion.