February Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: February Updates

New - Hope everything is okay - I agree with the other ladies that spotting can be pretty common (still scary though!)

Yes water helps big time.  I have low iron and need to take iron supplements in addition to my pre-natals.  If any of you run into this try and get the slow release iron, it helps to keep things moving.

I am starving and day dreaming of food all day everyday so here is my list of what I am planning after the baby is born.  My mother's tuna salad, a huge italian sub, donuts (jelly, boston creme, and chocolate sticks), and and ice cream sundae.  I'd eat the treats now but I know I'd end up with bad heartburn.  Also, the Boston Restaurant Week participating restaurant list came out yesterday.  I spent the majority of the afternoon perusing the menus and figuring out where I could go for lunches.  Yum!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

KT, I had horrible heartburn until the baby dropped, and now I can eat almost anything without any problems.  I hope the same happens for you so you don't have to wait to enjoy those yummy donuts and sundaes!  :)

I know in the grand scheme of things it's totally not a big deal, but I can't help but be annoyed at all the stupid comments and questions lately!  I wanted to work up until I had the baby, but these people are making me crazy!  I'm not even due until the 22nd, but I get, "Still here, huh?"  "So, no baby yet?"  "Are you ready to have that baby?"  It's not just here and there, it's all day, every day, and usually from the same few people.  How do/did you ladies keep your cool when everybody started driving you nuts??? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Pugs, just wait until you HAVE the baby then they'll all be saying:

"is the baby sleeping through the night yet? It's NOT!?"

"have you started solids yet? you HAVEN'T!?"

And then you can hear how your baby compares to their baby or some baby that they know.

"Oh well my grandson started crawling at 6 months"...

That's when it gets really fun. You just have to smile and sigh because otherwise it will drive you nuts. My SIL had a major Cheerio fascination... "She's not eating CHEERIOS yet?" - I can't even count how many times she asked me that - as if it were a baby milestone or something.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My SIL had regular monthly bleeding all nine months, appearing exactly the same as her period did.  She gave birth to big, healthy twins.  I figure it must happen somewhat often if there's more than one season of "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant" on the air!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

Pugs, I'm so glad you said that.  I was actually contemplating a separate thread on stupid things people say, but I was afraid it could get mean.  My SIL told DH that going bald from chemo wasn't a bad thing because she was so hot when she was pregnant, she wished she could have shaved her head.  Really?  You *could* have cut your hair if you wanted.  At least you had options.  Duh.

Kar, since I've been PG, I've decided the women on that show had to all be completely out of their minds not to know.  (Or drunk for 9 months straight).  Glad the twins were okay, I'm sure despite the bleeding your SIL knew she was expecting!  I do wonder about those other ladies, though

So, deli meat.  Still wanting that sub.  I'm wondering if it would make sense to get a sub, deconstruct it, heat the insides, let it cool, and reassemble.  Sounds like an awful lot of work.  And, it probably wouldn't turn out the same anyway.  Plus, my appetite window closes quickly, so it would be a shame to go through all that and then just not be able get it down.  I should probably just wait.  Bummer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Cookie, I cannot BELIEVE your SIL said that.  I think that's the rudest, most insensitive thing I've ever heard.  What did your DH even say to that???

I think a separate thread is a great idea...it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one surrounded by idiots all the time.  :)

Other than the stupid comments, it sounds like things are going well for you with both the chemo and the pregnancy, so that's great! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Oh Cookie!  That was a really out of line comment from your SIL.  I'm sure she was trying to be funny/endearing, but really!  Think before you speak!  How are you doing by the way? 

Pugs, they're probably just trying to be nice and conversational.  They probably don't remember when your exact due date is, and just know you're big and due soon.  Don't worry, after the baby is born everyone will forget you exist & only ask after the baby.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, Cookie!!  Yes, she sure did know those twins were in there, ha ha ha, given that the alternative was that a watermellon seed really can grow in your stomach!  Laughing  Those women really must be high, but regular bleeding might be confusing if you're carrying in a funky way...?  I'm trying for their sakes, but it's hard to imagine.

How are you feeling?  Have you had any chemo yet?  The SIL I mentioned was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, and she's about to have her second surgery to make her healthy, remaining breast lifted to match the other side (she had TRAM flap surgery).  She had 3 chemo treatments...blech!  I think of you often and hope you're doing well emotionally and physically.  I CANNOT believe your SIL said that ridiculous, horrible thing!!!

I LOVED fried baloney when I was a kid.  If I were you, I'd fry the meat, put it back in the sandwich hot, and eat it that way.  Not exactly the same as a regular Italian, but maybe not a bad way to satisfy your craving.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Kar, fried italian cold cuts sounds DELICIOUS!  Great.  Now I want a sub too!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I've been eating turkey and roast beef subs all along this time. It's on the really low end of the spectrum and my midwife said "some women" avoid deli meats but didn't tell me directly to avoid them, she gave me the choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

Thanks, everyone.  I'm really doing just fine.  First chemotherapy was 8 days ago.  It wasn't bad at all.  No additional nausea, and it's too early for my hair to fall out.  Took an extra day off work, just in case.  I have tons of support, and am really coping okay.  But, boy, if you though pregnancy hormones were bad, you should see me on steroids!  Glad it was only a couple of days.  I'm cutting back next time, for sure.

DH has been awesome.  I'm sure he placated her, or didn't even comment.  You have to know this SIL.  She's just very immature and clueless.  She's not malicious, just unaware.  Luckily, his family is six hours away.  They've tried to be helpful, but for some, it's just not in the skill set.  His parents asked if we wanted to join them in Disney in Sept.  (I'm due 8/1, and need surgery post-delivery).  Um.  No.  Little busy with a newborn (hopefully) and post-op.  Thanks for asking.

Maybe I'll get creative with the sub over the weekend.  Baloney was a mainstay when I was a kid.  Don't think I could face it now.  But fried?  There's a culinary delight, I'm sure.  Funny what we eat as kids.  Like fluffernutters actually counted as an entree, not dessert.  Too bad I've lost my sweet tooth.

Anybody doing something special for DH?  Mine has totally stepped up to the plate, and I don't have a single idea.  He'll kill me if I get him chocolate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

when I wanted a cold sub, I would order a provolone cheese sub with all the fixings....my DH thought I was crazy, but it was safe and after he tried it he stopped making fun of me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Cookie glad to hear that everything is going well for you!  DH and I don't normally exchange presents but this year I got him a professional picture of DD and I'm framing it for his desk.  One present I got him before DD was born was a Netflix account, that was great!  We were spending a lot of time at home and our dates night turned into a Netflix movie and take out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, I think I might still like fried balogne...but, then, again, I bought spaghetti-os as an adult once (way too excited about it, too), and just the smell of the opened can made me gag (hm, much like it did my mom!).

So happy you didn't get as sick as some do with chemo, Cookie!  My dear SIL wasn't so lucky (relatively speaking, of course).  She was soooooooo sick from it she had to really force herself to go to the second appointment.  I think she started losing her hair between #2 and 3...they were 4 weeks apart.  If you plan to wear a wig, get a soft wig liner - she really suffered with her wig before she got a nice liner.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

June - I do the same thing!  Provolone, all of the veggies, hot peppers, oil and vinegar... you don't even miss the meat! 

Cookie - glad to hear everything's going pretty well for you and I hope it continues.  Not that I'm defending the thoughtless comment from your SIL, but maybe she was just trying to see the positive side of having no hair during pregnancy... I'm sure she just wasn't thinking. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

KT - You had me worried for a second that I wasn't supposed to eat donuts :o) I may have had a few munchkins in recent months. I can't help it - there's a DD outside my doctor's office!! But I do have that issue with heartburn - I get it the worst from muffins. Could eat red sauce or spicey food all day, but muffins are BIG trouble.

I've worked my way around the Italian cold cuts a couple of times. Once I got a sub from Quiznos, where they toast them, and then also heated it more in the microwave when I got home. Another time I had an Italian calzone. Not as good as a real sub with all the fixins' though!!

AFM - I'm feeling a little dejected today. Finally had my internal exam at 38 weeks 2 days and she said I am less than 1 cm dilated and a little effaced. I'm not sure how you express effacement, but I think she said a cervix is typically about 2 inches long and mine is now 1 1/2. She had me set up an additional appointment for the week after my due date, so I'm trying not to read between the lines too much!

I've been pretty good throughout the pregnancy, but this week I feel like a total whiner! My hands are a bit swollen, my pubic area is sore, I'm exhausted, I can't sleep, etc. It’s like bam! 38 week switch flipped and I am miserable. I couldn't fall back asleep so I got out of bed at 5 am this morning. I usually get up at 7:45. Thanks for letting me vent!

Oh and Pugs - This week is also the week I'm losing my patience for the comments! Last week a coworker said, "3 weeks to go??! What are you still doing here?"  Luckily someone spoke for me and said, "Do you know how materintiy leave works?? She doesn't want to waste her time now."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Fram, good luck in the coming weeks with the aches and pains!  You're so close!  Someone once told me to think of pregnancy as actually lasting 42 weeks so if you go over your due date you're not too disappointed...so you may have a while :(

As for me, I have a question...it's been a while since I've been anxious so I'm due for a bout.  I started to feel Baby kicking and squirming like crazy at about 20 weeks and now that I'm approaching 23 it's slowed way down and I only feel it about once a day, around lunchtime.  I would think I'm supposed to be feeling it more often now???  I know I posted before about constantly yanking my pants down to feel my belly but now I barely feel it at all.  What gives?  Does it depend on what I eat?  I thought once I started to feel the [lovely reassuring] kicks that they were there to stay.  Now I'm lucky if it says hello once a day.  I don't like it.  Thoughts?  I tried to drink a glass of orange juice then lie down on the couch and pay attention, but it didn't work.  Baby, play with me!!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sprout - I first felt her move at 19 weeks.  That first weekend she was flipping all over the place, but then it got sporadic for a couple weeks.  I bet if you really kept track, you'd notice that you feel it more than once a day.  What about in the car on the way to/from work?  Or after you eat a meal?  Or lying in bed at night?  I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
    They say that during the day, while you're at work, you tend to feel less movement because you're up and down and walking around and the baby gets rocked to sleep.  I have a desk job, but I'm still up and down to the printer/bathroom/other cubes all day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks, Fram... that could be the case.  I also just might be getting used to the smaller movements, too... before I was patiently waiting for them to start, so maybe now that I have them they're just a part of my day. 

I'll pay more attention when I'm doing nothing rather than when I'm busy at work! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Sprout, I had a similar a concern so I mentioned it to my OB last week.  She said that they don't worry unless you don't feel movement more often after 28 weeks.  

This week has been fun, we can finally feel her moving on the outside so DH has got to feel it a few times.  It still amazes me when I feel her move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I completely understand why you'd be concerned - it's hard not to be!!  One week, she was still moving but instead of big crazy movements, it only felt like little flicks down low.  I couldn't help but wonder what the heck was going on and if anything was wrong!

I forgot to mention this earlier.  Today I saw the OB and I did go through my list of questions - yay me!  But here's the "funny" thing.  DH was holding my notebook so she said, What have you got for me there?  Meanwhile I have seen her alone how many times and she never asked me if I had questions or acknowledged my notebook!! 
    I told her about all kinds of new symptoms and she barely flinched, but I think they're just really good at keeping things in perspective and letting me know it's normal.  I knew it was probably normal, but so many things have been going on lately - hands swelling, tailbone/butt soreness, long distance vision not as good (only in specific situations i.e. powerpoints).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Cookie- glad to hear your first treatment went well!

Fra- hang in there, I think you are allowed to whine at this point!  I will be working almost until my due date, I think that's the norm these days. Not sure why people are so surprised to see you at work. I'd go out of my mind if i was at home all day!  

I had an appt. with my MW yesterday and she basically told me that I can't have that bowl of ice cream or cake after dinner because the baby will gain the most weight in the last few weeks.  I told her I've been craving sweets and she basically told me to not eat them.  It just makes me want them more now! I don't go overboard, but if I want that brownie, I'm going to have it darn it!   I've gained 30 lbs so far (at 30 weeks) keeping steady with my 1lb per week.  It's not like I'm huge, someone told me today, my gosh you couldn't have gained more than 10lbs so far and they were shocked when I said, um no try 30.   Anyways, i think it's going to be really hard to give up eating some things right now, I've always lived by the anything in moderation rule, and eat pretty healthy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks for your reassurance, guys!  Last night I actually sat back on the couch for about 20 minutes all stretched out, rubbing my belly and politely asked Baby to just give me a nudge or two.  As soon as DH walked in the door, it moved around and didn't stop for about 5 minutes. I realized that s/he was pretty low and fluttering down by my bladder and cervix rather than up high by my belly button where it had been last week and quite noticeable.  So I think it must have found a comfy spot down low where I couldn't feel as well :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

To all those poor pregant women who are craving their deli delights.  JUST DO IT!  Get your freshest, just cut deli meats from the good deli and have a sandwich.  Don't eat the hilshire farm crap thats been sitting in the case or the oscar mayer bull crap.  Get thee to a good sub shop and go for it.  My local farm stand does all Boars Head and Deli Patrol meats and I love it.

And in a pinch - do a grilled pastrami if you are still worried about bacteria.  Sautee the pastrami and them pile it on top of coleslaw, swiss and spicy mustard.  Drooling yet?

Or a hot turkey with gravy and cranberry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Do you ladies plan to work past your due date if you don't have the baby by then?  I planned to work right up until the baby was born, but now I'm not so sure.  I'm due the 22nd, but if she comes late I think I may start my maternity leave as of March 1st.  My doctor said that if I go a week past my due date we'll schedule an induction, so that would just give me a couple of extra days off anyway.