February Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: February Updates

Re: the deli meats, I've been really good at avoiding them...but a few weeks ago my company had a town meeting and they catered Panera. those Sierra Turkey sandwiches were singing to me...I had one, then a huge chocolate cookie, then another Sierra TUrkey, and another cookie. It was like the best day ever. Totally worth it...and baby is doing just fine. :-)

I know I'm missing a bunch of other updates...I'm so busy at work lately!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Pugs - with the ridiculous parental leave practices in America, I plan to (unfortunately) work right up until the due date, and maybe past it if I baby decides to be late. I am due on a Monday, and would like to finish up the Friday before, but I don't want to put that in writing to my boss, in case baby is 2 weeks late, I then would only get 10 weeks at home with him/her before returning to work.

Oh to be living in another country with generous parental leave, paid maternity leave etc etc....!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Pugs - I don't have to officially set a last day, but I told my boss I'd work until Friday 2/25 if the baby doesn't arrive on time on Tuesday 2/22.  If I'm feeling OK, maybe I'll come in the next Monday... I always thought I wouldn't want to waste a single day at home before the baby gets here, but it is sounding better and better.

How did you (or anyone else) find the internal exam towards the end of pregnancy?  I finally had mine at 38 weeks 2 days and it felt so weird!!  I wouldn't say it hurt... It just felt really uncomfortable and maybe even tickled a little.  It was hard not to squirm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Fram, the internals don't bother me at all.  I don't find it any more uncomfortable than a pap or normal pelvic exam.  However, a couple hours after my first one at 35 weeks, I got more BH than normal and felt a little crampy.

I think it's different for everyone though; my girlfriend is due the day before me and goes to the same doctor, and the internals are brutal for her.  She also has spotting after every one.

And, TMI...definitely losing part of the plug today.  It's SO gross, but good to know that I'm getting there!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I might have to stop reading the message boards because I could seriously cry over the fact that you're losing the plug already and I'm not!  Not to discourage you, I love reading your updates :o)

I wouldn't say it was worse than a normal pap... I guess it just tickled so it was hard not to move.  Who would have thought that would tickle!?!

You reminded me that I've been meaning to ask a stupid question... Do some women never experience BH contractions??  I haven't had any.  I figured it was normal, but lately every book or web site I read says something about how BH contractions will turn into true contractions.  Can't they add a disclaimer - "BH contractions, if applicable, will turn into..."  Maybe I've been working in finance too long!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

pugs, how exciting AND gross! :-)

Not to make you feel worse, Fram, but my friend who is also due 2/24 is being induced right now due to high blood pressure. 13 days early!! She just texted me and said they broke her water and that it feels really gross. Love technology!

Can you do anything to increase your BP? haha. That is probably a terrible idea.. :-)

I haven't had any BH either, but I don't know when they are "supposed" to start...

and my last internal that I had HURT so I am not looking forward to that starting in a few weeks....

I am super stoked to day b/c a friend of mine from work sold me her Medela breast pump, practically brand new for $150. I never thought I'd be so excited about something like that!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Fram, don't get discouraged!  It still doesn't really mean all that much.  There's always the possibility you could go tomorrow and I'll be waiting until March!  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Fram, don't be discouraged, things can start happening at any time.  With DD, I went to my 40 week appointment and I was NOT AT ALL dilated or effaced.  I was still closed up tight.  That was on my due date (or maybe the day before).  I hadn't lost any mucus plug either. I remember being so disappointed and thinking I was going to be way overdue.  Then two days later, my water broke and I delivered DD 14 hours later.  So take heart, you never know and try to remember that you're not even 40 weeks yet!

As for working, I worked until the day I went into labor (that was three days after my due date).  There really wasn't any reason not to since I basically sit in my office all day (except when I walk to a meeting and sit in whatever room it's being held in).  Might as well save the time and sit at work than sit around at home just waiting for something to happen.

I know I didn't address about 100 other updates, but I haven't had a chance to read through everything, and that's why. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fram, BH doesn't occur in 100% of pregnancies.  Sometimes the first contractions you feel are the beginning of the real thing.  Hope it happens soon for you!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the reassurance!  I've had a pretty level head, but now I am just so anxious and excited - only 11 days to go!!

For those of you nearing the end, have you been eating ALL day?  Because I have!  I thought when it got close to the end, I'd have to eat small meals and whatnot because everything would be so squished.  But no, I am eating 3 full meals and snacks all day long.  After lunch today, I had cookie and some fruit and a Twix and I am still hungry!!  I need to bring in some healthy snacks next week to avoid the vending machine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your body must know you're about to need a bunch of fuel!  Laughing

ETA:  I should clarify, I think all women actually do have BH, but they don't all feel them; it can be very mild and/or confused with other things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Fram - As you can see from my previous post I am always hungry!  I could eat 3 meals a day and snack all day long.  Also, regarding Braxton Hicks I had a ton when I was pregnant with DD and hardly any this time around.  I think I am feeling less because I am drinking a ridiculous amount of water everyday.

AFM I woke up Friday with spotting and then went into panic that labor was coming soon and I have nothing done.  I had an appointment scheduled for Friday anyhow but they moved me up checked me out and they think it could be that the baby is shifting and causing more pressure on the cervix.  Then I got some sort of stomach bug Friday night and had more pink/red spotting so I called the on call dr and they basically just asked if I was having contractions - no - and that otherwise just rest.  So I tried to take it easy but I like to be on the go.  My sister had my aunts and cousins over for a little baby party Saturday and yesterday I decided I should get organized.  I took out a few things and organized some drawers.  Now I just need to get some Dreft and wash some things up!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Hi ladies!  Just had my 39 week appointment...wasn't great, but wasn't bad.  Still only 1 and 1/2 - 2cm dilated, but she said the baby is very low.  I have to go for another growth u/s this week, and then I have a 40 week appointment next Wednesday.  If I'm still pregnant then, they're going to schedule an induction for early the following week.  I'm really hoping things happen on their own before then, but what can you do?

DH and I are very adamant that nobody knows we're even at the hospital until several hours after the baby is born.  But obviously if I go past my due date, we're going to start getting all the phone calls and questions that we really don't want.  Telling people when I'm being induced is not an option...would you think it's better to avoid people's questions altogether, or lie and tell them the induction is schedule for a later date than it really is?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Pugs - I think I would try the avoidance tactic first.  Answer with something like "Your guess is as good as mine as to when he/she will arrive. I am sure you will hear/get the call/email/text once baby is safely here.  Hopefully it's sooner rather than later".  And try to leave it at that.  I know if I go one minute past my EDD my mother will be calling every 12 hours to see if anything is happening, this is where the joys of caller of id will be handy!

I too, have made a deal with DH that no one will know I am even in labor until after baby arrives safely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Pugs,

We felt the same way about people not knowing until DS was born.  We just told people we had yet another Dr. appointment the day I was being induced. 

Its not really a lie, you will have an appointment with a Dr. 

Best of Luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Thanks Prill and SAW!  I just talked to DH about it and I think we're going to go with the avoidance.  Just pretend we don't know much and let everyone know that once she gets here, they'll know.  And I agree, thank goodness for caller ID...I'm dumping about 90% of my calls to voicemail already!  :)

And I've made my decision that if I'm still pregnant at the end of next week, the 25th will be my last day of work.  I planned to work right up until I had the baby, but I don't think I feel like coming in that Monday knowing I'm being induced within a day or two.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Pugs - The 25th is my last scheduled day too.  Great minds think alike ;o)

I got hit with a cold Friday night.  Could feel it coming and then woke up Saturday with a sore throat and stuffy nose.  It actually isn't too bad, other than the fact that it was hard enough to breath already!  I wanted to call in sick today, but had some things I couldn't miss.

The crib mattress came in last week, so that was exciting to FINALLY have that settled!

I mostly stayed in this weekend, cleaning and whatnot.  My mother gave me a bunch of my old baby clothes, so I finally got around to washing those.  I laid out some of the stuff I'll need for the hospital bag(s).  Basically everything is all set except for clothes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

hi ladies,

sorry been so out of touch!!  we had our little one on 2/3/11 at 7:53 pm, just one day after my due date.  he was 8lbs 10 oz.  :-)  and sooo cute!!  my contractions started at 5:30am. they felt so weird.. not like BH..  not painful.. just kept waking me up... so i started timing and found 3 in a row about 7-8 mins apart.  i woke my husband at 6:30 and told him and he started timing.. they were roughly 6-8 mins apart and we called BI.  they said to make my way in since i was 3 cm dilated earlier that week and 90% effaced that I was def in labor.  well rush hour, day after big snow storm, ended up taking us 1 1/2 hours to get to BI, which is 20 mins with no traffic... by the time we got there my contractions were only 2 mins apart and much more painful.  I got in there, put in a room and monitored and they said i was over 4 cm and to get the epidural.. so I did and then it was a waiting game.. fun though.  just me and my husband and we could talk and think about things and what this was gonna be like, etc.. i was progressing on my own about 1 cm each hour.. by 5 it was time to push!  I was at 10cm.  I pushed for over 2 hours and the end was extremely painful.. i ended up spiking a fever of 102 so they ended up needing to do an episiotomy and bring in a vaccuum to get him out!  :-(  then NICU had to look at him due to my fever..  :-(  also sad..  it was going smoothly and not many people in the room then all of a sudden add 5 NICU people, other nurses, etc and it was a crazy show.  i could feel so much at the end and it was awful.. long story short, epidural had come out and i no longer had any numbing so that explains the pain at the end. but we both had antibiotics for 48 hours due to the fever and now we're all good!  :-)  we came home on Saturday afternoon, the 5th.  besides lack of sleep, motherhood is amazing and it's hard to describe how much love you have for this little person and how amazing the whole process is.  good luck to all of you due so soon!  I need to keep this short now.. my little man wants my attention!  :-)  happy valentines day!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Congratulations on your baby boy, Jan!  Sounds like things got a little scary there for awhile, but overall it seems like mom and baby did great.  Please keep us posted and tell us how all of you are doing!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats to Jan2010!!  Sounds like it wasn't fun at the end there, but I'm glad you have a healthy DS and you are enjoying him!!

And I'm so excited for all of you who are getting nearer and nearer your due date!  I'm almost a little jealous, which probably sounds crazy as most women would rather NOT relive labor/delivery!  It's just such an exciting time, i sometimes wish I could go back and relive it all again up to this point.

I remember being at work the day after my due date (DD ended up being 9 days late) and people asking me, "When are you due?" and when I'd say, "Umm... yesterday" they'd back up a few steps, LOL!  Like I was going to suddenly give birth all over them! You'll know when it's the right time for you to stop working.  You'll just suddenly be done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Yay, congrats on his arrival, Jan!!!  Look forward to your updates on the infants board!

Pugs - ew/awesome re: the plug! 

Fram - re: BH - I am with Kar in that I think most women get them but not all women feel them.  It could just be that your contracting of the muscles are not painful to you.  So you might not even notice it when they are contracting & practicing :)  Which is good, because they sound like they're annoying! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats Jan!!  I've been hoping to hear from you.  Hope you're all doing great!

Twin - Congrats on telling your families.  I'm glad they're so excited for you!  My family is getting very excited as the day draws near and it's such a nice feeling to have them thinking of me and the baby.

KT - So sorry to hear about your scare!  Hope everything's OK now.

Sprout - It's so weird because I've looked at webmd, babycenter, and WTEWYE and none of them are very clear about BH.  They don't say that every woman has them and they don't say the opposite.  They do, however, say that you can have them and not notice.

P.S. I need my netipot STAT!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Fram, I have been wondering about BH as well.  I had some strange back spasms end of last week and over the weekend and I was wondering if it might be BH since everything I read seems to say they can start anytime around week 20.  

Congratulations Jan!  

AFM, we started our registry yesterday.  Still early, though I wanted DH to help me with the big stuff, then I can take my time figuring out the little stuff, he could care less about blankets, sheets, bottles, etc!  My mom is coming to visit this weekend so hopefully she helps me decide which crib of the two we narrowed down to and I can get that ordered.  That will encourage me to clean out the baby's room to be so we can get started painting and all that.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEB2008. Show NEB2008's posts

Twin here. My ID is messed up.

Jan - Congrats on a healthy baby boy. I'm so excited that you are home as a family!!!

Fram - I hope you feel better. I can only imagine how awful you must be feeling right now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Congrats Jan! So glad your son is healthy and you're home! I was wondering how you were doing! 

Fram and Pugs, it is so exciting you are so close to the end. It is very surreal to me that I will be giving birth to another HUMAN BEING in 9 weeks.  I know I don't know you ladies, but feel like we all have this pg lady connection. I've been reading about your journey (wedding journey too!) since before I was pg and was so excited for you. Can't believe how time has flown. Just think you'll be posting your labor story soon.  :)   Ok I'm going to stop typing now otherwise my hormones will get the best of me..