Flu shots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Flu shots

Has anybody decided if they are going to get the swine flu shot? Regular flu shot?

My doctor said it's absolutely necessary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Re: Flu shots

I got the regular flu shot, and will definitely get the H1N1 when it's available (they say pregnant women are among the most at-risk, so we're high priority).  We had our Prepared Childbirth class yesterday and the instructor pointed out that husbands should also be sure to get the regular flu shot to minimize risk of them being sick around the baby, so I'm scheduling DH for his, too.  (Regular shot; I think it will be a while before he can get the H1N1.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I already got the regular flu shot when I was in two weeks ago. I am also planning on getting the swine flu shot which I probably wouldn't get if I weren't pregnant (since I wouldn't be considered high risk). I had heard there is a higher than normal percentage of pregnant women that have gotten a bad case of it and the percentage of pregnant women who have died from it is higher than they expected (I believe it was through the CDC). I think it is due to our immune system being different. That was all it took for me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I am going to get them too I am just not so thrilled about it.  It makes me a bit nervous but I agree I think it's more dangerous to get the swine flu then the vaccine. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

I asked my doc if they are getting the Thermisol free ones (for regular flu shot) so I am planning on getting it there - hopefully they were correctly informed.  Has anyone heard if there will be thermisol free H1N1?  I will most likely get it as long as I can get the regular one with out the preservatives.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

We're TTC and I'm planning on getting both (I have asthma, too, so I'm on the "first recipients" list), which is a big deal for me, as I usually am kind of anti-vaccine.  But someone did point out to me that had they "discovered" (or whatever the proper epidemiological term is) the H1N1 strain earlier, it would have just been included in the seasonal flu shot ... that made me feel a little better. 

Better safe than sorry ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I'm planning to get both (regular one next week and H1N1 when available).  I've only received a flu shot one other time, years ago, when my work at the time did a flu shot clinic.  So I wouldn't normally get any flu shots and I have been a bit concerned about the vaccine paranoia.  But what decided it for me was that it's the only way to vaccinate the baby for that first winter.  For me, the possible risks of the vaccine, even if there are unknowns, are less than the risk of me getting the flu while pregnant or baby getting it this winter, which is risk of death.  I'm just not going to take my chances with that.  Also, I heard that the H1N1 is getting more testing than the usual flu shot b/c all the hype about it being rushed.  and that if the virus had appeared earlier, it would be included in the regular flu shot anyway, that it's the same recipe just an added ingredient to include this particular strain.  I did let my primary care doctor know I'm pregnant and will make sure I am receiving the correct version, and will check again with my midwife whether the H1N1 is still recommended before I receive it.  But I am going to go with whatever they say and not decide not to get it out of fear of possible unknown side effects.  I know I will be too paranoid about the baby this winter if I don't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

For anyone that may have already had their baby I found out some interesting info and just thought I would share in case you didn't know.

I found out that if you are nursing you should get both shots because the baby will get the antibodies through your milk.  I got the relular flu shot a couple weeks ago (though I am a teacher and always get one every year anyway) and I'll get the H1N1 when it becomes available.   I want to try and protect the baby as much as possible.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Are you all getting the shot from your primary care physician or a clinic?  My company gives a coupon for a free shot administered by Maxim Health Systems at various pharmacies and groceries.  Is it worth it to see my doc for it or do you think it's ok to go to the clinic? 

Also, are any of you first time recipients?  I've never received a flu shot before and I read on the CDC site that some people can get averse reactions.  Should I be worried?

Lastly, anyone hear about the H1N1 shot yet?  Do I need to call and reserve a spot with my primary care for this one?

TIA!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

We're planning to start TTC next cycle (yay!) and I'm planning on getting the H1N1 vaccine (already got the regular one).  It's the same as the regular vaccine, just a different strain. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

In Response to Re: Flu shots:
    [QUOTE]Are you all getting the shot from your primary care physician or a clinic?  My company gives a coupon for a free shot administered by Maxim Health Systems at various pharmacies and groceries.  Is it worth it to see my doc for it or do you think it's ok to go to the clinic?  Also, are any of you first time recipients?  I've never received a flu shot before and I read on the CDC site that some people can get averse reactions.  Should I be worried? Lastly, anyone hear about the H1N1 shot yet?  Do I need to call and reserve a spot with my primary care for this one? TIA!
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

Trouble, I've gotten flu shots before and have never had a problem. I know some people show mild symptoms afterwards. For this year, I just asked about it at my regular monthly OB visit and they gave it to me. I have my next monthly OB DA next week and I'll ask for the H1N1 flu shot then (I expect they will have them by then). I won't be charged for them there.