Gestational Diabetes suggestions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Gestational Diabetes suggestions

I am 42 years old, 29 weeks along. Just diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which came as a shock since I don't match typical profile, aside from advanced maternal age. Would love your tips for healthy diet, since I have over-relied on carbs and am a lover of fruit and other off-limit foods. Breakfast a particular challenge as I love cereal, bagels, etc. and can't imaginge eating eggs every day. I'm also totally averse to artificial sweeteners. Thanks so much!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Gestational Diabetes suggestions

I always cook a lot of non-starchy veggies (peppers, onions, Swiss chard, summer squash, zucchini, etc.) for dinner and then oftentimes will make omlets with the leftovers plus low fat shredded three-cheese blend from trader joes, but use your favorite. That breakfast is loaded with protein, fiber, calcium, and vitamins...and tastes great! If you can have any starch, 1/2 cup of brown rice or quinoa is easy and nutty tasting. To cut it ALL out reduces vitamins, fiber and satiety you can get from the right carbs. I love trader joes quick cooking organic brown basmati rice. Using a measuring cup is essential in order to not overdo. Also, if you have a serving of protein (like all natural, no sugar added peanut butter or cottage cheese) you can probably have 1/2 banana or apple with it unless the doc literally said zero fruit. Nuts and cheese in moderation are good snacks, especially low fat cheese. Again, weigh and measure until you have a good idea of what a serving is of those things look like or you'll pack on the pounds with too many nuts and/or cheese! Vegetable soup is very filling and tasty despite it being summer, lol. But be sure to pack it with non-starchy veggies, not potato and carrots. Salad with vinegrettte (no sugar added) with tuna or chicken salad is good as long as you don't add croutons, dried fruit, or other flour based crunchy things.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I'm surprised your Dr didn't refer you to a dietician????

My Ex had gestational diabetes and signs of toxemia while prego's. She was directed to a dietician for food advice. Weekly fetal monitoring and regular check ups with the OBGYN.  Your hospital has to be able to get you some food and recipe suggestions based on your condition.

Congrats and Best of Luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ditto what roger said- I would ask. most insurance policies cover a visit to a nutrionist during pregnancy anyway, I am sure all of them would cover it if you had a diagnosis that would increase complications.

I also remember one of my girlfriends having a scoop of peanut butter with whatever she ate, and it allowed some freedom. however, I do not understand the underlying mechanism, and can't really help more than that.

good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

In response to "Re: Gestational Diabetes suggestions": [QUOTE]I'm surprised your Dr didn't refer you to a dietician???? My Ex had gestational diabetes and signs of toxemia while prego's. She was directed to a dietician for food advice. Weekly fetal monitoring and regular check ups with the OBGYN.  Your hospital has to be able to get you some food and recipe suggestions based on your condition. Congrats and Best of Luck! Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE] I was just given dx 2 days ago--have appt w nurse this a.m. to learn how to test blood but couldn't get appt with nutritionist until next Wednesday so seeking advice in the interim. Been reading a lot on line and have found that somewhat overwhelming, but definitely helpful. Weekly fetal monitoring hasn't been discussed, but glad you mention it, will ask. Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fill up on lots of non-starchy veggies and protein. You're fortunate in that the season lends itself to their abundant availability. hard boiled eggs can become egg salad on a bed of lettuce (not in a sandwich), and they make great plain snacks. If you don't peel them until you're ready to eat they keep a long time and even can stay out of the fridge a few hours. I put them in a steamer for 35 minutes, 12 at a time and eat them throughout the week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi MamaMama:
    I had GD with my second, and I was equally shocked because I didn't fit the profile AND I didn't have it with my first.  I know exactly how you feel, wanting to get started before you meet with the dietician.  Basically, you need to eat lots so that your blood sugar doesn't spike.  3 meals and 3 snacks per day.  Don't eat too little because you will start to burn fat and cause keytones.  You want to eat less carbs though.  Start reading labels.  For instance milk has lots of carbs, can you believe it?  My dietician told me carbs from fiber, from nuts and from cheese don't count for GD though.  I was able to manage my GD by paying close attention to what I ate, and luckily I never needed insulin.  Breakfast was my worst meal though, I almost always had a higher blood sugar after that meal than I wanted.  So I tried to eat very little carbs with breakfast.  Typically 1/2 fiber one english muffin (very low in carbs) and peanut butter or the dreaded eggs.  I love eggs and even I was getting tired of eggs!  Sometimes I'd just have a granola bar.  Kashi granola bars are high in protein and lower in carbs.  That's the other thing, always have a protein with your meals and snacks.  It helps balance out the carbs.  

Good luck!  And let me know if you want any other meal advice!  The good thing about GD is that it's temporary and you only need to manage it for 11 weeks :)  I actually felt really good on the GD diet and everyone told me I looked much less puffy with my second pregnancy than with my first.  But it was summer and I was totally jealous of all the fatties drinking icey sugary drinks while I was pregnant and supposed to be able to eat whatever I wanted and couldn't.

ETA: I didn't have weekly fetal monitoring, but did have weekly (but got to skip weeks if my blood sugar was good) visits with the endocrinologist and dietician.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Thank you so much for all the advice. I lucked out and was able to see the dietician at Newton-Wellesley on Friday thanks to a cancellation, and I feel MUCH better about all this. I'm responding very well to the changes in diet, and my readings have been perfect. I had a lot of misconceptions about what I could and couldn't eat before; remarkably, I'm finding I have to work to get in sufficient carbs, and the only things I really need to give up are my beloved juices and my wanton consumption of ice cream. Seems this is all about moderation, and I feel convinced this is a gateway to a healthier lifestyle and a better understanding of how food affects my body--all good stuff for me and my family! Re: fetal monitoring, I was already scheduled to have monthly ultrasounds (grace of my age), and those need not increase. Apparently, the weekly ultrasounds are for women who require insulin. I'll meet bi-weekly with the gestational diabetes team to review my numbers/diet. All is well, and again, thank you! Grateful for this community!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freerocks. Show freerocks's posts

I am not preaching, just sharing:

According to the World Health Organization and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report, "It is not clear at this time whether ultrasound fetal monitoring is beneficial to the mother or fetus in terms of pregnancy outcome...If there is no generally acknowledged benefit to the monitoring, there is no reason to expose patients to increased cost and risk.  The question of benefit has not yet been resolved...and the potential for delayed effects has been virtually ignored."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Gestational Diabetes suggestions:
    [QUOTE]I am not preaching, just sharing: According to the World Health Organization and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report, "It is not clear at this time whether ultrasound fetal monitoring is beneficial to the mother or fetus in terms of pregnancy outcome...If there is no generally acknowledged benefit to the monitoring, there is no reason to expose patients to increased cost and risk.  The question of benefit has not yet been resolved...and the potential for delayed effects has been virtually ignored."
    Posted by freerocks[/QUOTE]

Yah, it's not for everyone......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Actually, from what I understand, ultrasound is important for pregnant women of advanced maternal age who have gestational diabetes in order to monitor quality of amniotic fluid as well as size of baby. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Everything has some studies that say it's beneficial and others that indicate it's detrimental. Everyone has to do what they think is best and presumably start with what their doctor recommends.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

The WHO study was saying there is no overall benefit to monitoring everyone who is pregnant. When there is a reason (gestational diabetes) it can be very beneficial, and therefore worth the added risks/costs. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Very good point!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Hi MamaMama2,

I had gestational diabetes with my second pregancy.  My advice might be a bit dated because that baby just got her learner's permit on Friday, though I think the basics of the diet have remained the same.

I'm glad you got to meet with a nutritionist and get some perspective.  It is a fairly restrictive diet and it does help to talk to someone about portion size and the kinds of food you can and can't eat.

The first thing to remember is this is temporary.  It goes away the second you give birth, so any restrictions only last 12 weeks.  I did think about this a lot while I was pregnant (as in, "this isn't going to last forever, only a few more weeks). 

I did find that I had to give up some foods completely.  I really couldn't eat popcorn (found that out after I ate some at the movies and had a really high blood sugar).  I was pregnant in the summer, and had to give up watermelon and corn.  That was tough!  But I could eat a lot of other stuff, though I did have weird food cravings and there were times I really didn't want to eat the stuff I could.  I ate a lot of salad with chicken.  I ate entire bags of frozen vegetables.  I spent a lot of time thinking about when I could eat carbs and moving things around so I could eat them when I wanted to.  But I am a person who likes to think about food, so that was good for me.

Breakfast was the hardest meal because I used to eat cereal.  That was out, so I switched to melted cheese on diet wheat bread.  I did eat a lot of eggs on the weekends and didn't eat eggs for a while afterwards!  I didn't eat a lot of fruit.  Juice is out of the question.  I don't really eat a lot of bread, so I didn't miss that.  I switched to full fat ice cream from low fat frozen yogurt because low fat things have more carbs, but I really could only do that once a week.  

Potatoes were a good souce of carbs and I did eat those with dinner alot.  No rice (nurses told me that was one of the worst offenders).  I have to admit I can't remember anything about pasta, but I probably didn't eat much because my husband doesn't eat it and I tend not to make it very often.

Portion control is the key to some of this.  I was really good about that.

In the end, I delivered a 8 pound 9 ounce baby and did not gain a single pound in my last trimester, so I was losing weight.  I decided there is definately something to the low glycemic diet trend!  Her shoulders did get stuck, but I was able to have a vaginal birth (VBAC actually) with a midwife and no episiotomy. 

Not to wax too pollyannaish here, but it was of course, all worth it for my beautiful, healthy baby who is now 3 days into her junior year of high school!  And remember--its temporary!!!

Good luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I can't edit my last post, but did want to add that I did not have weekly monitoring until the end of my pregnancy, which lasted 2 weeks longer than it was supposed to!