Gestational Diabetes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceangirl503. Show oceangirl503's posts

Gestational Diabetes

Hi All,

This is my first post.  I've been a lurker for awhile and have really learned a lot from all of the posters here.  I'm 28 weeks and just failed my 1 hour glucose test.  I'm really bummed out about this because I've tried so hard to focus on diet and excerise and doing everything I can for me and the baby.  My doctor was not concerned about me failing the test at all especially since my weight gain has been pretty good (about 12-13lbs).  I know last month there was a discussion in the general July pregnancy about this and I was wondering if some of you who have experience with this can help me out with a few questions.

1.  Did anyone pass the three hour after failing the 1 hour?  (For the record I did not just fail by a point, I failed by about 17).

2.  What did you do for the three hours?  I know this seems somewhat trivial but the thought of sitting there for three hours on top of all this is difficult.

3.  For those that did fail the three hour, what has happened to your lifestyle after?  I researched lifestyle changes and I feel like I do most of these things already.  For those that were healthy before did you need insulin shots?

4.  Did having GD effect labor and delivery or the baby at all? 

I know I may seem over anxious at this point and I may end up passing the three hour, but I don't know anyone else who has gone through this and I could really use some advice.  This is my first baby.

Thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: Gestational Diabetes

Hi there -- I usually post on Infants and Toddlers (LO is 1 year) but your post caught my eye.
    I can't answer most of your questions because I was not ultimately diagnosed with gestational diabetes, but I can answer 1 and 2:
    1) I did fail the one hour, and then went on to pass the three hour.  Yay!  I can't remember what the points were, but it is definitely possible.  This was the case with me and with *several* of my friends, so try not to worry too much yet about questions 3 and 4.
    2) For the three hours: I did several things.  I brought an iPod, I brought my husband, and I took a nap!
    The sugar drink hitting the empty stomach did make me feel pretty queasy.  Since I didn't feel well, the awesome staff (Winchester Hospital) gave me a comfy chair and after reclining I felt fine.  I pretty much slept and listened to music and chatted with my husband.  He worked on his laptop during the parts where I was napping.  It was actually a really peaceful morning!
    Bring a neutral snack so that as soon as the last test is over you can have something to eat before going anywhere.
    Also, plenty of people go alone but for me it was wonderful to have someone along.  It gave me someone to talk to and it also put my mind at ease that he could drive me home if I still felt sick.  I do recommend it if it's a possibility for you.  When I was there, there were 3 women and one was alone, I had my husband, and the third had her mom.  :)

Best of luck!  Whatever happens, it will work out OK.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

As silly as it sounds, failing my glucose test was one of my top fears during pregnancy.  I totally stressed about it with DD but passed by a couple of points. 

So with my second pregnancy which was twins, I knew it was going to be even more likely I'd fail the 1 hour, which I did. 

1. While I failed the 1 hour with the twins, I sorta passed the 3 hour.  I failed the get the right numbers on just one of the 4 readings (0, 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour).  So I did not have GD BUT I did have to go get a meter and check my levels 4 times a day and meet with a nutritionist. 

2. I don't want to scare/upset you but in my opinion the 3 hour test was the WORST thing I ever went through while pregnant.  I am a water drinker.  I've already had 8 bottles of water today, not including the bottle I drink over the course of the night.  So going without water was brutal for me.  The last hour was the worst for me.  I felt weak and dizzy but when I asked they did not have anywhere I could lie down since all the rooms were in use.  That was badly done by the doctor's office.  It was also boring.  There was a TV in the waiting room and I did bring a book and cross-stitching to do but it was still boring. 

3.  I have to admit that I didn't really make any lifestyle changes.  Although I probably should have.  As long as my readings remained ok, I just kept doing what I was doing.

4. Like I said, I didn't have GD but some kind of "almost" thing the doctor's wanted to watch (hence the 4 time a day bloodsugar tests).  Since I was having twins (one breech) and had already had a c-section with DD1, I knew I was having another c-section.  I went to 38 weeks. I never had any health issues.  DS and DD never had any health issues and were 8-10 and 8-2 respectively when born.  DD1 was 10-13 so they seemed tiny comparatively and I probably really did have GD.  In my case, GD or almost GD seems to make big babies.

I hope some of this is reassuring and not scary.  But I wanted to give you an honest account of my 3 hour experience.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Hi Ocean,

I just went through this last week.  I failed my 1hr last Tuesday and had to do the 3 hour on Thursday.  I failed by 5 points, but I ended up passing the 3 hour, so don't worry too much.  I couldn't understand what I could do differently if I had GD because my diet pretty much already follows what they recommend.

I felt really awful during the 1st hour and a half...like Medford said, that drink hitting an empty stomach wasn't fun.  They didn't have any comfortable seating in the waiting area, so I just went down to my car so I could recline and listened to my ipod.  During the hour before my last blood sample was to be taken, I went to the TJMaxx that was right across the street....I was feeling surprisingly normal by then considering I hadn't had anything to eat or drink.

I got the news back the next morning that I didn't have GD.  I do agree with dz...it definitely wasn't a fun experience and I wish I had just passed the 1 hour, but I am glad I passed either way.

Good luck and don't worry too much!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

I can help with you questions 3 & 4 as failed the 3 hour and was diagnosed wth GD with DD (who is a very healthy 2 year old).
    Diabetes runs in my family and I was overweight when I got pg, but I didn't gain a signaficant amount of weight during my pg.  If they do diagnose you with GD, you may have to meet with a nutionist that will be put you on a diabetic diet (which is not bad, it should be the way we eat) and will have to check your blood sugar levels.  Since my sugar levels were very high, especially after fasting (before breakfast), I did have to see an endrocrologist and had to be put on insulin.  It wasn't easy as I had to time my insulin shots before each meal and then check my blood sugars before & after every meal!

When it was time to deliver, I was induced because of the greater risk of the baby being stillborn after 40 wks with GD.  I also had a lot of ultrasounds in my last 6 weeks of pg (about 2-3 per week) to ensure the baby wasn't too big.

Two years ago I had a healthy baby girl that I delivered naturally and she weighed 7 Ibs 7 ozs and is very healthy today.

I take much better care of myself and still working on the weight loss I don't want GD again, but they say once you have it with one pg, you will have it again and more likely to have type 2 diabetes in the future.

Good luck the 3 hour glucose test and hopefully you will pass!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceangirl503. Show oceangirl503's posts

Medford - Thanks for the advice.  My husband, who has been very supportive, wants to go and I told him he should stay at home.  I didn't want him to have to sit there with me but now I think you're right and it probably will be a good idea to have someone to talk to and someone to drive me home should I feel sick afterwards.

DZ - You didn't scare me at all and I appreciate your honesty.  I'm a water drinker too and that was already something I was thinking about.  I'm actually more nervous not to be able to have any water when I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  It's tough breaking the routine, wake-up, pee, drink water, go back to sleep, repeat.  I anticipate it being much easier to delay breakfast, than to delay water.

Leila - Going to recline in the car is a great idea too.  It's nice to know there are others who failed the one hour but passed the 3.

Jag - It is reassuring to see someone who had GD and went on to have a healthy baby with a healthy weight.  I'm a little concerned about my health, but mostly concerned about the baby.

I appreciate all the well wishes.  It's amazing how reassuring kind words from strangers can be.  I'm going in on Saturday morning so I will be sure to update on Monday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I can't help with GD, per se, but we have a lot of diabetics in my family, and my aunt is a nutritionist and chiropractor, and I just thought I'd add that stevia liquid (NOT powder which is mixed with lactose and other fillers, sometimes even sugar) is awesome.  It's 100% natural, a lot sweeter than sugar so you don't need very much (a "serving" is 5 drops), tastes great in coffee, tea, whatever.  I use it in everything I'd otherwise use sugar for, and I do NOT care for Nutrasweet, Saccarin, etc, for health and taste reasons.  It's worth giving a try while sugar is a concern if it's safe for pregnancy, but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be - it's not a man-made chemical.

My DH likes it, too, and he's even pickier than I am.  I made strawberry shortcake with it (in the berries and whipped cream), and my FIL didn't have a clue it wasn't sweetened with sugar.

So, that doesn't answer any of your questions, but hopefully it will make the rest of your pregancy a little tastier. :)

This is the brand I've used (I order from Amazon because I live an hour from WF):  KAL Stevia Extract  But, Whole Foods sells the liquid (Trader Joe's does not) with a dropper top, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

ocean--With this pg, I had to do the 2-hour GTT. My OB's practice changed their protocol and now everyone has to do the 2 hour instead of the one hour. It involved the fasting after midnight, then one blood draw before the drink, and 2 after the drink. In all honesty, I worked myself up before the test and, all in all, it wasn't that bad. I am not good on an empty tummy, but I did OK. I did feel sort of queasy and burpy for the first hour, but then it calmed down. I brought a whole range of snacks with me (along with a huge bottle of water) so I had something to eat right away after the last draw. I also brought my Nook and had downloaded all sorts of silly magazines that I read as a distraction. I had my test at a Quest center and there were at least 6 other pg moms-to-be there at the same time, so we all chatted and kept each other company. Lastly, I crashed when I got home and took a good 2-hour nap. If you can work that into your schedule, I'd recommend it. Good luck. I hope you pass the 3 hour easily!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maple76. Show Maple76's posts

In Response to Gestational Diabetes:
    [QUOTE] 3.  For those that did fail the three hour, what has happened to your lifestyle after?  I researched lifestyle changes and I feel like I do most of these things already.  For those that were healthy before did you need insulin shots? 4.  Did having GD effect labor and delivery or the baby at all?  I know I may seem over anxious at this point and I may end up passing the three hour, but I don't know anyone else who has gone through this and I could really use some advice.  This is my first baby. Thanks in advance!
    Posted by oceangirl503[/QUOTE]

Thought I'd share my experience because I really struggled with GD.

I also ate healthy and was shocked by the GD. I was 119 lbs pre-pregnancy and never had a weight issue. With GD diet is important, but it may not be enough...I used spreadsheets to track and calculate my carbs and obsessed over being healthy. Despite my efforts I still couldn't keep my glucose levels where they should be and gain the weight I needed to. I ended up on Glyburide (oral med. that works like insulin).

Having GD did not impact labor or delivery. I had a healthy baby girl and the GD went away immediately.

DD did arrive a week early. We were planning to induce if she had not arrived on her own.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceangirl503. Show oceangirl503's posts

So as an update I just thought that I would let you all know that I passed!  I'm surprised I passed, but I did.  The actual testing part wasn't that bad.  I brought things to work on and there was a recliner in the waiting room to sit on.  Everyone's suggestions and tips were helpful and I felt confident going into the test because I was prepared and knew what to expect.  Thanks again!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My aunt is a well respected, successful chiropractor and nutritionist and has been for the past 30+ years.  If she says it's safe, uses it herself, and recommends it to her patients that trumps any "information" one might randomly gather on the internet.

ETA:  This was a response to dog-lady's posting of the "interesting" article about stevia which she subsequently deleted and reposted, by the way, in case this seems like this post was out of nowhere.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Interesting article about Stevia:       http://www.karenhurd.com/trend_stevia.html      BTW:  check out the hummus recipe, quick and easy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

As I posted in Pets (I notice you deleted your commitment to keep it in mind):

"(let's keep the discussion in order, please, by not deleting and reposting to bump up and repeat comments.  It makes the thread order non-sensical.)" (kargiver)

It might not be against BDC rules, as you aptly noted in Pets before you deleted that observation, too, but it's not endearing and doesn't do anything toward getting your point more across.