Giving birth at MGH Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcoastiegirl. Show jcoastiegirl's posts

Giving birth at MGH Boston?

I'm 13 wks along with my first baby and very excited (due first wk of Nov). My husband and I have been trying for a long time. Since I work in downtown Boston I've decided to see an OBGYN at MGH (where my primary doctor also is). I'm just looking for some feedback or reviews from others that have delivered at MGH. I know it is a great hospital and I'm sure it will be fine, but it is always nice to hear first hand experiences or advice on what to expect or ask for. :)

Thanks in advance mommies!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msbean. Show msbean's posts

Re: Giving birth at MGH Boston?

There were posts on this on the previous board...

Everyone who I know that has delivered there has enjoyed it and found it supportive.  Did I mention the view?!

This will be my 3rd delivery there in 4 years and I haven't a single complaint.  It's sort of "new" in that there was an L&D a while ago and then there wasn't one and now it's back and busy!

Good luck
    Anna

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I don't have any experience yet, but I'm 10 weeks along, and am going to deliver there, too.  I had my first appointment with my OB there last week, and was really impressed.  I chose it based on a few good experiences I'd heard about, and I feel good about the decision.  The building itself is gorgeous, I couldn't believe how efficient the OB office was, and I really like my doctor (Dr. Khachadoorian).  Yay.  I'd love to hear some other experiences, though, too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcoastiegirl. Show jcoastiegirl's posts

Thanks!! :) I appreciate it.

I did search some old postings on the discussion boards for this information, and found some, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask specifically about MGH. 

I've been there twice so far, for my initial visit and first ultrasound. This week I have an appt with a Nutritionist at the OB office. So far so good! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Almost all of my friends have delilvered at MGH and no one has had any complaints.  Everyone has been pleased with the doctors, staff and facility.
    I'm 27 weeks and couldn't be happier at MGH.  I think my OB is great and the staff have been wonderful.  I've had three scary episodes and all three times everyone has taken great care of me and the babies.
    I love the hotline - I've used it 5 or 6 times.

As someone else said, MGH didn't do OB for many years.  They opened the Mother and Baby center/OB department in 1993.  I understand many of the rooms look over the Charles river - so there are very nice views from the rooms. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msbean. Show msbean's posts

For my 2nd delivery I actually had a HUGE corner room that looked out over the Longfellow Bridge at sunset...I'm sure my husband enjoyed the view more than I did but I distinctly remember how beautiful it was that night (August).

My cardiologist, nutritionist and primary care Dr's are all at MGH so it just made sense for me to have an OBGYN at MGH as well.

It also happens to be super close to Cambridge where we live.

Almost all of my friends have delilvered at MGH and no one has had any complaints.  Everyone has been pleased with the doctors, staff and facility. I'm 27 weeks and couldn't be happier at MGH.  I think my OB is great and the staff have been wonderful.  I've had three scary episodes and all three times everyone has taken great care of me and the babies. I love the hotline - I've used it 5 or 6 times. As someone else said, MGH didn't do OB for many years.  They opened the Mother and Baby center/OB department in 1993.  I understand many of the rooms look over the Charles river - so there are very nice views from the rooms. :)
    Posted by misslily

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryl730. Show maryl730's posts

I'm 13 wks along with my first baby and very excited (due first wk of Nov). My husband and I have been trying for a long time. Since I work in downtown Boston I've decided to see an OBGYN at MGH (where my primary doctor also is). I'm just looking for some feedback or reviews from others that have delivered at MGH. I know it is a great hospital and I'm sure it will be fine, but it is always nice to hear first hand experiences or advice on what to expect or ask for. :) Thanks in advance mommies!!
    Posted by jcoastiegirl

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all you pregnant girls,
    I used to work at MGH, but at the time I was pregnant - there was no maternity floor. My OB was at MGH, but I delivered at the old Boston Lying-In. Ugly, ugly, ugly place. Had dark green walls in my room and the noise from the hallways was deafening. However the care there was best ever. You girls are so lucky with the beautiful new facilities - I envy you.
    Best of luck to you all and happy deliveries.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Hi all -

I just had my second son at MGH and loved it there!  (I had my first son there as well.)  They were wonderful - loved my OB, all the nurses, everything!  Good luck and congrats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KatieTQ. Show KatieTQ's posts

I had my son 3 months ago at MGH. Everything was wonderful. I really liked going to my OB. The labor and delivery nurse was amazing! I don't know how I did it without her. The recovery nurses were just as wonderful and they have a group you can go to after you have the baby. It's really great. I recommend going to MGH to everyone!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsw978. Show rsw978's posts

At my 6th month, I switched from MGH to the midwife practice at Newton-Wellsley as MGH was frighteningly aggressive about planning a cesearean thus pro-surgery.  I am so happy I switched to NW as I had a natural childbirth and now have an incredibly healthy 3 year old and 4 month old.  I urge you to look at cesarean rates and consider switching to either NW or Mt. Auburn's mid-wife practice to insure they do not perform major surgery on you as a first option when difficulty arrises; A cesearean is major surgury and should not be taken lightly. There is major recovery time which makes caring for a newborn and other children extremely difficult and there are more complications from surgery than natural childbirth.   I believe surgery should only be used if the baby and mother's life are at risk not to make the doctor's life easier. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Both of ours were born at MGH.  Here's the difference.  It is a world class facility with EVERY available technology, technician, contingency and professional available at your disposable.  Will something go wrong??  Probably not, like most people you will likely have a smooth uneventful delivery and a happy perfect beautiful little baby.  In the rare event that something does go wrong, anything at all, you have it all covered.  Stuff happens.  Why take the risk when you don't have to??  The entire practice is outstanding.  We had high risk pregancies.  Laura Riley is outstanding (get her book), the nurses are outstanding and all of the support staff was outstanding.  Good luck!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slmommy. Show slmommy's posts

Hi I just gave birth to my first baby at Mass General on Monday May 18th. I found the staff in the labour and delivery unit to be fantastic. The nurses (especially the night nurses) were extremely experienced and the anesthesiologist were excellent. Good Luck and you will be in good hands!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryry. Show ryry's posts

Brigham and Womens actually outranks it in OB care....MGH is great, too, but Brigham is so close, is the best hospital in the area, and is literally ranked 3rd in the US. (Also - our neighbor was an Anesthesiology resident at MGH, and he and his wife opted to deliver at Brigham, if that's any indication....)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from septembergirl. Show septembergirl's posts

I also have Dr. Khachadoorian as my OB and I am very impressed with her.  Part of my would have preferred to give birth at a birthing center or in a hospital like Mt. Auburn, where they have tubs to birth in.  However with my husband and I sharing a car, MGH is SO much easier for me to get to for appointments.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from niami. Show niami's posts

I found Laura Riley to be a bit scary. Plus I had to wait for 2 hours after having a CVS for my shot, since I'm RH negative. The shot had arrived, but nobody bothered to check for it, even though I asked several times and was having a problem with low blood sugar and needed to go home to eat. (I have celiac so I can't just eat anywhere)

If I weren't a 'high risk' and 'over the hill' I would prefer to have a midwife and a home birth. Hospitals are just too scary.

Sections
Shortcuts