Glucose test

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Glucose test

Ugh.  Just got a message from my doctor that my glucose test yesterday showed my blood sugar as "a little bit high".  She said "It's not bad, but we're going to have you come back in for the 3 hour test."  Ugggggh.  I need to eat as soon as I wake up in the morning, or I feel faint, so I don't know how I'm going to manage to eat NOTHING between midnight and 10:30 the next morning.  Not to mention the fact that DH is going to be working out of town so I'll be all alone.  :(  Crummy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

Re: Glucose test

Uuhh!  That stinks!!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

That s*cks.  You would think they would get that pregnant women need to eat.  What does the 3 hour test entail?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

oh man that stinks.  I was worried mine would have been high and I would have to do the 3 hour test.  The 3 hour test is you fast for 12 hours...you have to go in drink the sugar again...wait an hour, get your blood drawn, wait another hour have it drawn again and then on the 3rd hour get your blood drawn again...its a horribly mean test to do to a pregnant woman who needs to eat and drink.  My friend had to do it and by the 3rd hour she was about ready to pass out and they actually called her to make sure she was ok because the results of her last test were incredibly low.  Kaydo, hopefully after this test your results will be good and you wont have to worry about this any more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

sorry just to add...during this 3 hour test you also cant eat or drink...so its a good 15 plus hours with nothing!  mean mean mean

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

While we're talking about torture ..... because of a soft cervix, my doctor doesn't want me having any kind of relations with my husband until 35 weeks .. she said that at 25 weeks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

In Response to Re: Glucose test:
    [QUOTE]While we're talking about torture ..... because of a soft cervix, my doctor doesn't want me having any kind of relations with my husband until 35 weeks .. she said that at 25 weeks!
    Posted by Jessica9379[/QUOTE]

Ouch! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Melsau2006. Show Melsau2006's posts

Call back and get an earlier appt. I had mine at 7 am, so it wasn't so bad. Wiating till almost 11 in unacceptable.
     Also, bring a snack with you - no fruit or anythine sweet - it'll make you sick! A nice peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread and some milk. Ask when you get there when you can eat. I scarfed down my sandwich as soon as they took the final vial of blood, but I've heard that some people are allowed to eat as soon as they take the first vial of blood.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Yeah, my appointment is at 7:30am so assuming they get me right in, it'll be about 11 hours with no food, by the time all is said and done.  (That is, if I can stay awake until 11pm the night before and shovel something into me before going to bed.)  But ugh, even that feels like it's going to be very rough.  Oh well.  I guess the more important thing is the actual test results, and my fingers are crossed for a big fat negative.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Also, does anyone know why I'm supposed to be eating SO many extra carbs for 3 days before this test?  (An extra 150g per day to be exact.)  I'm sure there's a reason for it but my brain just says, "Uhhh, isn't that going to make my blood sugar HIGHER?"  I feel like I want to eat nothing but salad and protein, to get my darn blood sugar DOWN for this test, so it's killing me to follow the instructions they gave me and shovel all these extra carbs into me.  Ugh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I think they want you to load up on carbs to test how quickly your body gets rid of them.  You must not be a carb eater in general. I love anything in the carb family.  Did they give you a specific diet or just instructions to eat 150g?  Good luck with your test. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I actually AM a total carb eater (bread & muffins are my weakness) but it just feels so counter-intuitive to be eating even MORE carbs before this test, when what I want is for my blood sugar to be LOW.  I guess the rationale of seeing how my body processes them makes sense.

They gave me a list of foods saying how many extra servings to eat of each per day (2 extra slices of bread, 2 extra fruit servings, etc).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

I'll carbo-load in your honor tonight! 

Mmm, pasta .....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

OCC is right. The test needs to see how your body is processing carbs. While you don't want to have GD, you certainly want to know if your body is having difficulty processing carbs, especially if you are a big carb eater. It wouldn't make sense to do something to "scew" the test results (i.e. avoid carbs) and then not detect a potential problem.

Most women who fail the 1-hour do pass the 3-hour, so hopefully that's reassuring. I didn't have GD, but a friend did. Hers was easily controlled by diet and she said the diet was overall pretty easy to follow. So, even if you do end up failing, it's definitely not the worst thing that could happen. Good luck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I dealt with GD throughout my entire pregnancy.  Because of high family, age and lifestyle risk factors, I was screened early and was diagnosed around 10-12 weeks.  My 1-hr was just a little high, so I went for the 3-hr and failed 3 out of 4 of the draws.

Previous posters are correct...the whole point is to challenge your system to see how you process carbs.  GD is extremely serious and if you have it will require extensive monitoring.  I didn't find it too bad overall, but basically, you do NOT want to mess with the instructions.  Undetected GD that goes untreated throughout the pregnancy can lead to a whole host of problems for both mom and baby. The likelihood is that you will pass the 3 hr and you'll be fine; if you fail, they'll try diet control before moving on to more aggressive treatment options like diabetic drugs and/or insulin. As kiwigal said, even if you fail, it's not the worst thing in the world.  I tried to see the bright side...there were lots of extra ultrsounds and monitoring at the end. The biggest risk factors to the baby are that 1) he/she can get too big to deliver naturally and 2) he/she may need to be monitored immediately after birth to make sure that his/her blood sugar is stable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Now, now, now you girls. This test is not as bad as you are making it to be.  And as notanewbie said, it is a very important test.
    First off, after fasting, you get a glucose drink. Glucose IS food. So it is just like your breakfast, just different.
    The more you relax, and don't think so much about not eating - the better off you are. Many pregnant women have gone through this - and low and behold ---survived.
    You are expecting a child, and let me just say this - there will be many other situations, you may not want to deal with, but just have to. What would you do, when and if your child fall off his bicycle and cut his lip and is bleeding profusely? You just have to deal with it.
    This test is as important for you as it s as for your baby. And please believe me, if you can't deal with this simple test, how are you going to deal with your delivery? Not to scare you, but this test is nothing compared to your delivery. My labor was 36 hours w/o food. But I don't regret any single minute of it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Uhh, I don't think there's a heirarchy of "just because childbirth is worse means the glucose test is a breeze."  People are allowed to be nervous and not look forward to things without being condescended to, thanks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilmomma2be. Show lilmomma2be's posts

This just happened to me yesterday as well! I am taking the 3-hour glucose test on Friday morning because my levels were a little high. My doctor didn't instruct me about eating carbs at all. Just no eating after midnight. This test totally stinks, as does the possibility we might have GD. Almost all of my friends that have children had to go back for the 3 hour, so I'm hoping my tests will be negative too. Good luck Kaydo! Let's just hope we only have to do this once! I had a friend that was subjected to the 3-hour twice because her baby was very big, and she turned out negative for GD both times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SXXXXXXX. Show SXXXXXXX's posts

Maybe your doctor will let you do your own test with a diabetes kit which is super easy and pretty painless except for a quick stick on your finger.  That way you won't have to schlep all the way into the office (or cough up the co-pay).  I cannot tolerate taking that much sugar at once (had gastric bypass sugury) so I got to skip the glucose test and just give them a blood sugar reading a few times a day for a few days.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Oh, Kaydo, I'm sorry to hear that you have to go back for the 3hour!  Will keep a good thought that things go smoothly. 

And you have EVERY right to be nervous and not to be thrilled about having to go through this or any other test.  That's what the Boards are for -- to share info and vent.  :) 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Thanks GC.  The test went fine... it was a little rough to chug down TWO cups of the glucose drink on an empty stomach but the one nice thing is that after my first hour of sitting in the waiting room, uncomfortable, weak, sleepy, and inordinately annoyed by those eating muffins around me, I asked the phlebotomist if there was anywhere I could lay down for the next 2 hours of waiting between draws.  She said there were a few examining rooms that weren't being used, took me to one, gave me a blanket, hit the lights, and I ZONKED OUT!  I set my cell phone alarm and got up when it was time for the next 2 blood draws, but otherwise, slept lovely and sound for 2 hours.  Who knew an examining room table could be so comfy?!

I might add that this puts another big checkmark in my "Why MGH is awesome" list.  Really nice of her to let me do that, I thought.

(Unrelated, I drove out of the parking garage to a MOB of fire trucks, ambulances, people, and police cars - it would appear the Liberty Hotel was evacuated this morning for high carbon monoxide levels?!  Yikes.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

wow, that's awesome that 1. they let you nap. and 2. you actually fell asleep!

My but* (wow, I can't believe they won't let you say the word 'but' with 2-t's)  would be killing me if I had to sit in the waiting room for 3 hours.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Kaydo that was super nice of them.  I'm glad the test wasn't so bad for you.  When do you get the results? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

I was thinking of you this morning.  Glad everything went well, that you got some sleep and that it's all behind you now!! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Glucose test:
    [QUOTE]Now, now, now you girls. This test is not as bad as you are making it to be.  And as notanewbie said, it is a very important test. First off, after fasting, you get a glucose drink. Glucose IS food. So it is just like your breakfast, just different. The more you relax, and don't think so much about not eating - the better off you are. Many pregnant women have gone through this - and low and behold ---survived. You are expecting a child, and let me just say this - there will be many other situations, you may not want to deal with, but just have to. What would you do, when and if your child fall off his bicycle and cut his lip and is bleeding profusely? You just have to deal with it. This test is as important for you as it s as for your baby. And please believe me, if you can't deal with this simple test, how are you going to deal with your delivery? Not to scare you, but this test is nothing compared to your delivery. My labor was 36 hours w/o food. But I don't regret any single minute of it.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Pingo, that was so condescending.  Very unlike you, Dear!

~kar

Sections
Shortcuts