Good beach recomendations (= parking and not having to walk too far)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Good beach recomendations (= parking and not having to walk too far)

Even though I have lived in Metrowest Boston my whole life, I'm not all that familiar with the beaches.  Does anyone have some good recomendations?  I don't mind driving, even up to 2 hours is fine (I'm in Acton obviously!) and I can make a day trip out of it.  I'm just looking for a place with parking and not having to walk too far to get to the actual beach.  Big or small, hidden or popular, bring it on.  Idealy, I'd love to find some little inlet along the road where I can just park and jump out and have a bit of sand right there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Re: Good beach recomendations (= parking and not having to walk too far)

Hmm...I go to Crane Beach more than any other beach.  I think it is a somewhat long walk, but it is the best as far as facilities, snacks and a lot of parking.  I don't know if it has changed this year, but the past couple of years it's been $22 on weekends and $11 on weekdays.  

Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester has the shortest walk, if you get there early and park in the front lot.  That, I believe it $25 and $15.  It's great at low tide because you can walk far out and there are rocks to climb on. The bathrooms and snack bar are not nearly as nice as Crane, but we typically bring food, and it's a much shorter walk to actually get to the bathroom from the beach, whereas at Crane, I have to psych myself up for the hike.  (It's really not that bad, I just hate being hot and sandy, but Gloucester really is much shorter)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I love Good Harbor in Gloucester, and there's a great "kid section" off to the right of the beach - its a more shallow/no waves area where a lot of kids like to wade, and catch little fishies, etc. They have parking right there, although I don't know the cost anymore - probably at least $20 if not $25. But I think its worth it - best beach in the area, in my opinion.

You could also go to Marblehead, or Beverly and find some good small public beaches that you may not have to pay for parking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Devereaux Beach in Marblehead is good, but the waves can be large at times. They have shaded picnic tables, a playground and a snack bar area. Plenty of parking and last time I was there I think it was either 5 or 10 bucks. the lots can get full rather quickly though which is a downside.

Liberty Beach in Beverly is a small little beach that can be nice. A little rocky, but again there's a playground and free parking. No bathrooms/snack area.

Nahant can be nice and there's plenty of parking. Nice and sandy, and there's a Dunkin Donuts right as you enter. I recall the price being $5. At low tide you can get out pretty far and it's nice and flat, not many waves. This is the beach where I taught my nieces how to swim and float since the water is so flat. Probably where I will take DD for her first beach experience this year, I can't wait!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Perfect timing!  I was trying to think of a North Shore beach to go to on Saturday!

Sarah, I cannot tell a lie; I always thought your screenname said Sarah in Action.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Thanks Ladies.  I may pack up the car and just meyander along the coastal roads through Beverly and Manchester until I stumble across something. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Go to Dane Street in Beverly - there's a ton of beach there, street parking, but pretty views. And its' free. And Beverly rocks. :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You know, I HAVE been to such an area. A few years ago, my husband and I drove along the coast through NH and Maine and between Portsmouth and Ogunquit there was a strip where you could just park your car and jump in the ocean. I remember there was a park further towards NH too. It was nice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I know nothing about it but I know a lot of people that go to Hampton State Park.  They all have kids and they all go early so the parking isn't an issue.

I am with Fram - I read your screenname as Sarah in Action too. lol.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

We're early birds and we like Hampton - we usually head home by mid afternoon (Nap time!) so we arrive in the morning when parking is easy!  It's inexpensive, bathrooms are fine, loads of options for food if you're looking for that, and also a great playground on the beach... but honestly we just play in the sand and the water most of the time!

Bonus for Mommy sometimes is a trip to Browns for lobster on the way home :)

Enjoy the weather this weekend!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

also, there is an article on the front page of BDC today that might give you some ideas: http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/summer/gallery/your_perfect_beach/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

If you really are looking for a roadside beach, there is Jeffrey's Neck in Ipswich. It's literally a parking lot and a beach that overlooks Crane's Beach across the water. There is a play ground across the street, no facilities, but parking is free.

You take 133 to High Street (which becomes East Street and then Jeffrey's Neck Road) it's a penninsula so you just drive until you hit the beach and parking lot. If you have a kid still in diapers and lack of facilities is not an issue, it's a good spot because it's zero commitment dollar wise.

Another good spot is Plum Island. We bought a pass for about $30 last August and can choose from the 3-4 beaches there and usually find a quiet spot.

Keep in mind, green head season is about to kick in in this area. I wouldn't recommend too many Ipswich area beaches in July.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gigglesjcg. Show gigglesjcg's posts

My husband brings our kids to Jenness Beach in Rye, NH.  The parking is right in front of the beach and you just walk right on.  I think parking is only $5.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

The area in NH is on route 1A.  Get there early for easy parking that is close to the beach.  But yes, parking on the street and wlking only a few feet to sand does exist - just have to be early. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Thanks, bostonslp. We got there late -- maybe around 3 or 4 -- after a sweaty day, and just couldn't believe that you could park and walk ten feet into the water. We've talked about going back, but neither of us could remember where we were. It was like Brigadoon.