Have you hosted a baby gender reveal party?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCFeaturesEditor. Show BDCFeaturesEditor's posts

Have you hosted a baby gender reveal party?

If you've hosted a party where you've revealed the sex of your baby, we want to hear from you. How did you pull off the big reveal? Would you do it again? Was it worth the anticipation?

Check out these tips on ways you can host your own party.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackShepard. Show JackShepard's posts

Re: Have you hosted a baby gender reveal party?

Yes.  We built an ice sculpture in our back yard in the shape of a big momma teddy bear, and deep inside her tummy (lol right) we had either a pink ovum or a blue sperm to indicate the baby's gender.  We asked all of our guests to arrive at 7:30 am to register their votes as to whether the child was a boy or a girl, and also what race the child was going to be, whether it would have any birth defects, and whether the child would be gay or straight.  Each vote had to be accompanied by a $150 donation to the ferrel hamster rescue league.  Then, all of our guests gathered around the ice sculpture and waited for 17 hours for the ice scupture to melt to see what the gender would be.  We had a videographer for the entire event, who literally taped the entire thing unedited.  We did lots of interesting interviews with our guests, they all loved it so much!!  They pinned the idea to their twitter pages, so cool. It was literally the best day of my life.  Facebook actually contacted me to do an interview on the whole thing, but I declined because I needed to plan my destination baby shower--we're going to have it in Moracco- so original right??  Thanks for asking me to post!! Cool

Love, Jack

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rigby. Show Rigby's posts

Thank you for pointing out how ridiculous this whole concept is.  I couldn't have said it better.  A party to tell you what gender the kid is?  Are you kidding me? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerryVandesic. Show JerryVandesic's posts

What a pile of self-absorbed clap trap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeresJohnny. Show HeresJohnny's posts

Jack Shepard's post is one of the funniest I've seen on BDC.  Perfect response to how patently absurd this idea is. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkkk. Show dkkk's posts

yes and then we had a party for our dogs transgeneder reveal

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from move-on. Show move-on's posts

Americans are so gifted at expressing their self-absorption. Anything for more presents.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anig7m. Show anig7m's posts

If Robert/Michelle Kosilek's parents threw this party, it would be money down the drain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftOut. Show LeftOut's posts

All I can say is you have to be kidding.  My wife was 37 and pregnant, we had an amnio to check for Downs.  We told them NOT to tell us the gender.  To me, it's like knowing the score of the game before the end.  The joy of surprise for the first girl on my side of the family for 35 years was great, and GLAD we didn't know. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftOut. Show LeftOut's posts

In response to JerryVandesic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a pile of self-absorbed clap trap.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CalJ. Show CalJ's posts

In response to BDCFeaturesEditor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you've hosted a party where you've revealed the sex of your baby, we want to hear from you. How did you pull off the big reveal? Would you do it again? Was it worth the anticipation?

Check out these tips on ways you can host your own party.

[/QUOTE]

Nice work, Jack Shepard.  :)  And to anyone thinking of actually doing this, no one cares about the gender of your baby as much as you think they do....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MHogan08. Show MHogan08's posts

I just fell in love.

In response to JackShepard's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes.  We built an ice sculpture in our back yard in the shape of a big momma teddy bear, and deep inside her tummy (lol right) we had either a pink ovum or a blue sperm to indicate the baby's gender.  We asked all of our guests to arrive at 7:30 am to register their votes as to whether the child was a boy or a girl, and also what race the child was going to be, whether it would have any birth defects, and whether the child would be gay or straight.  Each vote had to be accompanied by a $150 donation to the ferrel hamster rescue league.  Then, all of our guests gathered around the ice sculpture and waited for 17 hours for the ice scupture to melt to see what the gender would be.  We had a videographer for the entire event, who literally taped the entire thing unedited.  We did lots of interesting interviews with our guests, they all loved it so much!!  They pinned the idea to their twitter pages, so cool. It was literally the best day of my life.  Facebook actually contacted me to do an interview on the whole thing, but I declined because I needed to plan my destination baby shower--we're going to have it in Moracco- so original right??  Thanks for asking me to post!! Cool

Love, Jack

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GuessMyName. Show GuessMyName's posts

Personally I think 'peaking' is in abominable bad taste, not to mention spoiling life's greatest surprise.

It's so 'yuppie'.  "We have to know what color to paint the baby's room!!!"  And there are some who actually have abortions if it's the wrong sex "we really wanted a girl this time!" 

Having a "party" of any sort prior to delivery is tempting fate, IMHO.  Even showers should be postponed until after the blessed event.  How devestating must it be to have all these baby things lying around after a still-birth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from move-on. Show move-on's posts

"Personally I think 'peaking' is in abominable bad taste, not to mention spoiling life's greatest surprise."

---

Um, it's a great surprise whether you find out via ultrasound or at the birth. It's STILL A SURPRISE.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from b02215. Show b02215's posts

Everyone,

Let's calm down a bit.  Most people want to know what the gender of their baby is going to be. It makes planning a lot easier. 

However, I have to agree, throwing a party to reveal the gender is a little over the top.  We shared the gender with our family on an already scheduled holiday/gathering.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pamplemousse. Show pamplemousse's posts

I  know someone who had one of these gender reveals - only they already knew the baby's gender.  They made the whole thing a "reveal to their friends and family." Really? None of us care. Not one bit.  While we are all happy for you that you're having a baby, this isn't a wonderful & exciting surprise to anyone other than the parents, and honestly, its not a part of your life that we need to share.  

The vast majority of shower guests are just smiling and buying you gifts to be supportive.  No one actually enjoys a shower except the person getting gifts, who understandably is the person going through an exciting life milestone, but these things are seriously dull.  Gender reveals are just another self-important way to add more drama and spectacle to the thing, and probably thought to make the shower more interesting to the guests... but really, no one cares. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoGloComments. Show BoGloComments's posts

Is this seriously a thing?  Please say that it isn't.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissOpinion. Show MissOpinion's posts

Yes, this is a thing, apparently. You can cut a cake to reveal pink or blue inside and I've seen some other ideas on Facebook. (Including one couple who ordered a "blue" cake and cut it in front of family members only to discover the inside was--mistakenly--pink. Talk about a surprise.) Personally, I like baby showers and do wish expectant families all the best, but Jack Shepherd's response is spot-on, not to mention hilarious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1973Murphy. Show 1973Murphy's posts

Seriously. Some people have such an over-inflated view of their own lives. I'm happy for you, but I really don't care about the sex of your baby...just want him/her to be happy and healthy. First came the addition of engagement parties (several decades ago), then they started with "sprinkles" instead of baby showers after the first baby, and now this? Ugh.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Screenname. Show No-Screenname's posts

Miss Manners (not Miss Conduct) wrote a recent article about how these parties are in utterly poor taste. No one cares. Please don't encourage people. It's as bad as the "proposal planners" when 50% of marriages end in divorce.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

In response to JackShepard's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Love, Jack

[/QUOTE]

Jack you're awesome.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rad666. Show rad666's posts

It’s all about the self-absorbed self-centered generation we have in play right now.

Remember it used to be:

1 wedding shower (maybe more than 1 if families lived far apart)

A bachelor party

1 baby shower for the first born (maybe more than 1 if families lived far apart)

Religious ceremonies such as Bris, christening, etc.

Now we have:

Multiple Engagement parties, wedding showers, & jack and Jill’s

Bachelor & bachelorette parties, oh and if you are extra special is can be a destination party that lasts a whole weekend. (Sometimes more than one)

A destination wedding

A baby gender reveal party

Multiple showers, where the MTB has the gall to actually ask for multiple items such as 2 car seats, 2 cribs, 2 pack and plays (no I’m not talking about someone having twins) actually went to a shower for one baby and this was done; she wanted to furnish her house and grandma’s house.

A baby moon (really don’t even get me started on this one.)

Religious ceremonies such as Bris, christening, etc. (not sure of others but I’m sure they exist)

Over the top utterly ridiculous kids birthday parties.

It’s completely out of control. Let’s face it no one is that special.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Lol - I agree hosting a whole party with lots of guests is a little overkill. However, many people find out the gender ahead of time and find fun ways to announce it to family and friends. 

My husband and I found out the gender the old-fashioned way - the doctor told us!

I had my parents and siblings over for pizza and beer (not me of course)! I baked a cake myself with the cake dyed blue - and my mother and sister cut into it. 

They were excited - it was an excuse for pizza, beer and cake - and that was about it! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmr90405. Show kmr90405's posts

Also, and this drives me insane, it is SEX not gender.  Gender is a social construct which I am pretty sure doesn't happen in the womb.  It's sex, people, sex.  Also these parties are incredibly lame and self-absorbed.  No1 curr....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tridoug. Show tridoug's posts

Dear friends-of-mine,

Please-please-please don't ever do this.

Thank you.