Headaches with Pregnancy...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Headaches with Pregnancy...

I've had a bad headache for about 8 hours now. Anyone suffer with these during their pregnancies? I don't feel comfortable taking Tylenol until I speak with my OB. Any other remedies?!

TIA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Headaches with Pregnancy...

I don't know about the pregnancy part, but for a headache lie down in a dark quiet room, soft music or talk radio on low if it helps you relax,  put a ice pack on your head/forehead [location of pain],   drink clear fluids, seltzer or decaf tea.  If someone has a blood pressure gadget available you should check your bp, you can get them in CVS and similar stores, the wrist kind are accurate and easy to use.  Try to take a nap.  If you don't have a history of headaches or migraines you should check with your dr,  especially if it gets worse.   PS: Stay away from all artificial sweeteners [including stevia] and msg.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Your doctor or a nurse in the office should be able to call you back today w/ info re this, or have someone on call who can tell you what is safe to take in what dosage.  

If you cut out caffeine as a result of your recent BFP, you are probably experiencing w/drawal. A cup or half a cup of coffee or tea will probably cure your headache if that is the culprit.  A hot shower also works for me for headaches.  GL  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Liz, So sorry you have such a bad headache.  I agree with the dark room and laying down, but you should feel comfortable to take Tylenol.  It is approved for pregnancy.  Just don't take Advil or Aspirin.  Are you still waiting to hear from your doctor?  Is there a nurse info line you can call at your practice to let you know what is okay to take?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Hi Liz, 
    Regular strengh Tylenol is just fine.  I had really bad headaches my fist trimester, my doctor prescribed me something, can't recall the name right now but if they continue, definitely ask.  Mine were unbearable, and I was used to migraines.  These pills took care of my headache in abou 1 hour, I had had it for days.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hi all,
    Thanks for the suggestions! I did call my OB and the nurse said Extra Strength Tylenol is ok. It went from a 10 to a 5. Hopefully I don't suffer from too many of these. I used to get horrible migraines and went off medication for it 3 months ago.

Wed, I am so sorry you had to suffer with headaches. It is the worst. :(

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Its probably from the fluid shifts you get in pregnancy, especially first trimester.  Your blood pressure is probably fluctuating and your blood volume is growing quickly.

You can try pushing up on the bones right below your mid-eyebrows in your eye sockets, using a cool cloth, but most of all just HYDRATE.  Even the slightest dehydration can exacerbate it.

Tylenol is totally fine in pregnancy, btw.  There is nothing wrong with taking it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Liz - I had horrible headaches in my first trimester as well.  I took Extra Strength Tylenol when I had one at work and couldn't function (since you can't exactly lie down in a quiet room with soft music or take a nap at work).  I also would drink a small cup of coffee if it was really bad.  I agree that drinking lots of water usually helped as well.

Glad the tylenol worked some.  Good luck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If it's caffeine withdrawal, you can safely drink one cup of coffee a day; it's not correlated with m/c at all.  Drink that and then, if you do want to go off it completely, cut it back slowly.  I like to add hot water to cut back instead of reducing volume (to a point, of course).

Heat vs cold therapy depends on the cause of the headache.

Hot showers (or heat wraps at work) are great for tension headaches because they relax the muscles involved.  HOWEVER, heat is NOT good for headaches caused by lower blood pressure (like true migraines, not tension headaches) because heat increases the diameter of your blood vessels and, thereby, reduces bp in your head even more, increasing symptoms.  If it's a too-low bp induced headache (either from pregnancy or caffeine withdrawal), cold on your face and head is the way to go.  It reduces the diameter of your blood vessels thereby slightly increasing bp in the vessels associated with your headache, and that can relieve it and any nausea associated with it.   

(Of course, you cannot take Excedrin Migraine while pregnant, but fyi the caffeine in it reduces the diameter of your blood vessels, increasing your bp slightly and is why it isn't just a sales gimmick for migraines.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Headaches with Pregnancy...:
    [QUOTE]I've had a bad headache for about 8 hours now. Anyone suffer with these during their pregnancies? I don't feel comfortable taking Tylenol until I speak with my OB. Any other remedies?! TIA
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

Get used to it! Once you have kid's the headaches last for about 21 years!LOL! (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

Wink