Help : Questions to ask the doc and book suggestions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

Help : Questions to ask the doc and book suggestions

Good Evening Ladies,
    I have two questions.
    Part 1  -  I have my first "Intake" visit with the nurse at the OB this week where she does a med history and some labwork.  Then with the doc in two weeks.  What questions do you recommend asking?  I had scheduled an annual exam with the Dr to meet him and test him out before being preggers but well now it has changed into the first prenatal - so any question suggestions can help.

Part 2 - While it is still early and I am still trying to be cautiously optimistic; are there any books you would recommend that I pick up?  I have heard the mayo clinic book is better than "what to expect" - any thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

Re: Help : Questions to ask the doc and book suggestions

A friend gave me Your Pregnancy: Week By Week and I liked that one. It was set-up (obviously) on a week per chapter basis and it gave me something to look forward to. I found that the books that break it down by month or group of weeks led me too far in advance. I liked that I could look at a particular week and see what was going on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Hi austen,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I meet with the OB at my first pregnancy appointment, so I am not sure what you'll want to ask at that first appointment with the nurse. I remember my first appointment being *asked* lots of questions--family history, feelings about testing (CVS, amnio, etc.), symptoms, vitamins I was taking, etc. I also received a packet of information from my doctor about things to do/avoid while being pregnant and we went through a lot of that together. I was looking for a pretty "traditional" experience with an OB and definitely wanted a  medicated, hospital birth etc., so I don't feel like I had a lot of questions at that point. My main concern was finding an OB who delivered at the hospital I wanted to be at.  If you already know you are interested in using a doula, birthing center, or anything else not necessarily associated with a hospital birth, then you may want to raise those questions early on to get a read on the doctor and practice.

As for books, I got the Mayo Clinic book. I liked it well enough, especially the end of each chapter that lists symptoms and gives recommendations on whether or not to call a doctor. I didn't like that the chapters lumped 4 weeks at a time together because 4 weeks can mean a huge change in how you're feeling. Honestly, I liked the weekly e-mails I got from my hospital describing baby's development and typical symptoms for mom better than my book. (Once I met with the OB, I got the info. on how to register for the hospital e-mails.) I still have all the e-mails and sometimes it's fun/interesting to look back and realize just how much has happened over the past few months!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

congratulations austengirl!  the intake appt is alot of you answering questions, and I think DH actually came with me to answer questions about his family history.  find out what you can/can't eat, and what medicines are safe. 

the book I open most is called "Great Expectations...something"  can't remember the whole title, but it has a couple pages for each week, like kiwi and trigirl mentioned, and I like it better than the ones that lump 4wks together.   it's a huge book, with alot of other info about nutrition, labor/delivery, and even newborn and postpartum care.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I really liked the book the girlfriends guide to pregnancy.  I have the week by week books, but this girlfriends book is fantastic. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

I took the "Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" out of the library - some parts are pretty funny and it's a different perspective. My friend gave me the week by week book and it's been pretty good. I'm also waiting for my sister to give me her "Baby Bargains" book. Apparently it's going around my family since my SIL had it first. I heard from more than one person that "When to Expect" is a bit much and they give you the worst case scenario for a lot of things which can freak you out (not recommended). You can also go on babycenter.com or webmd.com and read about weekly goings on with your pregnancy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

oh yeah, I really enjoyed reading that one too, I was laughing out loud many times.  though I kind of forgot about it and don't use it as a reference....  maybe I should go look for it again :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I know it's not a reference book, but several people have told me Jenny McCarthy's book is very funny.   Has anybody read it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I read Jenny McCarthy's book, and thought it was funny too.  I would get it from the library b/c it's a very fast read, not worth buying.  I think I read it in one afternoon.