hospital bag - what to pack?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: hospital bag - what to pack?

Mostly hospital gowns. You'll want a toothbrush, toothpaste, shower stuff, a comb, moisturizer. A few good nursing bras if you're planning to breastfeed. Slippers. A laptop for wifi.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

and bring a BIG bag so you can load up on diapers, wipes, mesh underpants, maxipads, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Stefani - I can't remember where you are delivering, but at my 28 week appointment I got a big packet of info from my hospital (NWH), with a really good list of things to pack!  It included a list of things they will supply you and baby with.  Hopefully your hospital gives you something similar.  But of course it's always good to ask other moms because inevitably there will be something they will tell you that the hospital will not!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Good that you're thinking ahead. I had small piles of stuff around my guest room, but never actaully packed until my water broke and threw a whole bunch of crazy stuff into my bag!

I only wore hospital gowns until the morning I left. I was quite leaky, so I never felt like putting on "real" clothes. Plus, it made the constant checks by the nurses much easier being in the gowns.

In addition to what's already been said--

flip-flops (I like them better than slippers or slipper socks.) Plus, I was really hot while in the hopital and did not want any socks on my feet. Bring two pairs in case one gets sloppy with aforementioned leaking.

yoga pants and nursing tanks--that's what I ended up wearing home

boppy pillow (or breastfriend)--so much easier to use than the wonky hospital pillows

your CAMERA! :)

Another suggestion...have one bag for labor and one bag for post-partum. For instance, my delivery bag had tennis balls (for massage), some magazines (for down times), etc. I didn't need any of that post-partum, so it was good DH could throw that bag into the car and we didn't have to worry about it at discharge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I second the idea to have one bag for L&D and another for recovery.  I put everything together and it was a bit disorganized.  I had a c-section and didn't have that much leakage so I was more comfortable in yoga pants and t shirts. 

I would also add to bring chargers for both cell phone and chargers. 

A pillow from home...much more comfortable than the hospital pillows!

Also, in terms of going home think about clothes that would be easy to nurse in (if that's what you're planning on doing) because the day I was scheduled to go home I realized that the clothes that I had packed were a little impractical for my new lifestyle. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

Definitely bring a cheap pair of flip flops for the delivery and wear them to the hospital.  I forgot to put mine on because things started moving after I got there and the ones I was wearing had all stuff leak on them.  Your delivery may not end up that messy if you stay in bed during it but I was up standing and moving around a lot to help get the baby down so stuff leaked out onto them.

I would bring one comfortable pjs type outfit to wear when you decide you've had enough of the hospital gowns and make sure its accessible for bf.  Also a bathrobe and slippers in case you are walking around outside your room. And then bring an outfit to wear home. 

Second the suggestion to make sure you have a big bag to load up on the free diapers etc.

I didn't bother bringing a toothbrush or shampoo and just used what they had. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'm working on this now, so your timing on this post is perfect.

And this is going to sound crazy, but this is a little pet peeve of mine. I packed a nice, new, plain blue soft shirt for my husband. For some reason it drives me crazy to see hospital pictures of dad's with their newborns and the dads are wearing some ratty old t-shirt and baseball hat with some slogan, sports team or advertisement on them. That new born moment seems too sacred, it doesn't need a commercial sponsor. Just in case, I also purchased an extra charger for our blackberry/iPhones so we aren't looking around for our one charger on the way out the door to the hospital, it's already in the bag.

I'll get off my soap box now. :)

ETA - I spent three days in our birth center early in my pregnancy, and can assure you there is nothing that you really need that they can't get for you, so don't over think it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I would def bring sweatpants/yoga pants, a comfortable shirt, heck maybe even a couple.  I know after my c section I felt horrible until I could shower, then once shower I put on my own clothes and felt normal again, sore but normal.  Bring all your own toiletrees that you like to use, an outfit you want to go home in, an outfit for baby.  Cell phone charger, batteries for camera and slippers or flip flops oh and maybe pack a few snacks for DH for while your in labor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our newborn moment was brought to you by Public Enemy. Every tender photo of my husband holding the baby has a gun sight in the middle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

LOL, lemon!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

-toothbrush, tooth paste, shampoo/conditioner, brush, lots of elastics for hair.
    -big sweatpants to wear home & appropriate shirt, I recommend a nursing tank vs. bra-much more comfortable-even if not nursing, bring a tank-it was days before a bra was coming near my girls. I had a c-section and wearing anything slightly tight hurt like he11. Pack a  pair of big undies.
    -I basically wore the hospital gown, having a c-section I still had a lot of leaking-several calls to the nurses for a clean up in aisle 5.
    -Packed the free slippers hotels give you. It was december and that worked better than flip flops-but that's another good option.
    -pillow(s) don't forget one for your DH if he's staying at the hospital with you
    -We didn't bring a computer-it was nice to be disconnected for a little while NWH had a computer to post and send the birth announcement via e-mail-so bring a list of e-mails you want to know.
    -Camera and extra batteries & SD card
    -cell charger
    -I agree with ml on the nice shirt for DH. Though mine was in the hospital scrubs.
    -Bring comfortable clothes for him to lounge around in too
    -big bag to take supplies home from the hospital-NWH gave us a diaper bag full of formula (even though I was BFing-good for back up) and diapers, snot suckers, thermometer, then I topped it off with a few linens...shhh

Like someone else posted, don't over think it, what you forget someone can get you if the hosptial doesn't have one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Also, your DH can run home and get you anything you didn't bring, so don't worry too much.  I also packed after my water broke and basically didn't use anything I brought!  I had a c-sec too and just wore the hospital gowns and undies.  I gave birth at NWH and LOVED it there!  They give you sooooo much stuff!  The nurses are so nice!  Ask for anything and boom!  it's there.

I would recommend a camera and laptop or something so you can send photos out, especially if you have a c-sec since you are in the hospital for 4 nights. 

Other than that, a going home outfit for you and one for baby.  A hair brush, hair bands and toothbrush & toothpaste.  Slippers and a robe are good too, but I also remember being very hot there - too hot for my robe most of the time.

Oh, and take a receiving blanket or two from the hospital.  I wish I had!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I had a very short labor once getting to the hospital, so I didn't need most of what I had packed for "labor"  but one thing we did bring that was a lifesaver for me was BENDY STRAWS. I couldn't drink out of a cup when I was in the "pushing" stage, and since there was meconium in the fluid when my water broke, they were concerned about fetal distress, so they gave me an oxygen mask, which totally made me parched. So one thing DH did was hold my bottle of gatorade with a bendy straw, so I could slip the mask to the side a little, take a sip, then get back to work.

They also stuck an IV line in my hand, in case they needed to give me meds, which they didn't need to do, but after delivery my blood pressure was still high, so they left it in until my BP returned to an acceptable level (~36 hours). I didn't take a shower until after that came out, I can't remember if it was because of the IV, or the BP or just not thinking about it, but I stayed in hospital gowns until I showered. So I didn't really need that many clothes, but I agree with keeping them comfy (and maternity sized - only starlets and supermodels seem to go back to pre-pregnancy size within 48 hours of giving birth)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Yoga pants or sweat pants!  The stretchier the better!  I've posted before about this, but I left the hospital BIGGER than when I got there due to extra IV fluids with the c-section and antibiotics for a kidney infection I developed.  I was blown up like a balloon.  I could not fit into the maternity jeans I wore to the hospital 5 days later when I left!  Luckily, a lot of peeing over that first week at home, and things evened out pretty quickly... although I did have a serious meltdown about it because nothing fit comfortably. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

I second the yoga pants/ pj bottoms. I was so much more comfortable when I had visitors to be dressed in something other than the hospital gown.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

The other thing I forgot to mention--CHAPSTICK. Seriously, put one in every bag, every pocket, in DH's pockets, etc. During labor, recovery, and for the first few weeks at home my lips were always dry.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

YES. I think I could have done with everything BUT my Burt's Bees lip balm and my cocoa butter lotion. Those places dry me out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I think most things are covered, I'll second the vote for some of your own PJ's and a robe... and a sleeping nursing bra.  DH and I went for short walks around the hospital in the days after DD was born and I was happy to not have my girls hanging out, but also to not have a regular bra on :)

Also, it may be a day or two before you can have a shower and it's nice to feel human again, in your own clothes, even if it's PJs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

thanks all!  here's a related Q, what does the baby wear when s/he's born?  do i need to bring outfits?  or does the hospital throw them in a onesie and a blanket?  !!!  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The hospital has kimono shirts, diapers, and blankies -- that's all you'll need when you're there. You can bring an outfit to take the baby home -- although I've known a lot of people who didn't. But you might want something for photos. And if it's your first baby, the nurses can show you how to dress it. It's tricky because they're so floppy and small.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

If you have pets, you might want to bring one of your own baby blankets to swaddle the LO with to have DH bring home for the animals to smell. I suppose you could use a hospital one, but I didn't feel right taking anything reusable from the hospital home with me. Now all the pads, mesh undies, diapers, etc. on the other hand, was stock up city.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Stefani, the hospital has plenty of baby clothes, basically a kimono style onsie and a flannel recieving blanket.  I did bring a "going home" outfit.

I think the two bags suggesting is amazing.  We had a giant suitcase to lug around and my husband had to make several trips to the car with all the crap we brought and didn't even use.  Quite embarrasing.  I LOVED my barefoot dreams robe and fuzzy slippers.  And if you're leaking alot (pre and post partum), stick with hospital issue clothing.  Nursing tanks are great and PJ/sweats/yoga bottoms.

Definately steal as much as possible.  I was raiding the bassinet drawer everytime they filled it up.  Snag as many recieving blankets as possible and TONS of the scary mesh underwear and giant diaper/maxi pads.  I was leaking for almost two weeks after and also had stiches so the extra padding was awesome.  Also get a rubber donut to sit on (thank GOD I had one) and squeeze bottles to squirt yourself with.

We spent less than 36 hours in the post-partum wing.  The nursing staff was driving me nuts and I was desparate for them to leave me alone!!!! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

lol re: the posts!  thanks everyone.  i'll bring some limited baby clothes (like 4 outfits for my 2 babies) and take advantage of the hospital for all else.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I second the poster above re: bring a big bag.  I hate those "personal belongings" bags that hospitals have (they make me think of accident victims who came in with no prep!) and we ended up going home with one because the nurse packed it with all the diapers, thermometers, hair combs etc and handed it to me in the hall so I couldn't repack!  I will say one thing not to bring, the boppy!  That thing did not fit around my waist for about 4 days after birth, and in a hospital bed you're not really sitting upright.  I tried mine and the nurse came in and said that happens all the time, and it was one more thing to lug back home!  And don't forget to pack a cute outfit for baby in case the hospital has a picture program (MGH does).  I had an outfit and matching receiving blanket - great photo before we left the hospital!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I just remember by childbirth instructor recommended ...breath mints or breath freshener - for me, for DH or for the nursing staff who might be too close for comfort. I picked up some individually wrapped peppermint lifesavers for the exact purpose.

Sections
Shortcuts