How far is too far to live from the hospital you want to deliver in?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JHA23. Show JHA23's posts

How far is too far to live from the hospital you want to deliver in?

I am pregnant with our first child and we will be moving from Watertown down to the South Shore in May (baby is due in August).  I love our doctor here and had been planning on delivering at Mt. Auburn, but with the move I'm wondering if it's going to be too far to live about 45 mins from the hospital?

My doctor is ok with it (says they do it a lot and take your travel time into consideration when deciding when you should head in on delivery day), but sometimes it makes me nervous (especially with how traffic can be).  I also really don't want to change doctors in my last trimester.  Has anyone else delivered, or is planning to deliver, in a hopsital not so close to their house???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Re: How far is too far to live from the hospital you want to deliver in?

I live in Framingham near the Southboro line and we delivered at Tufts Medical Center. I work downtown so I knew there was a chance that I could go into labor while I was at work. I was a little worried about rush hour traffic or a snowstorm (due date was early March), but I ended up going into labor overnight and it was pretty warm a few weeks ago so we had no problems driving down the Pike and making it to the hospital on time. Without traffic, it took us about 25 minutes door to door.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I moved from Waltham to Worcester when I was pg with my first.  I delivered at MAH.  The travel ended up not being an issue since I was induced.  I was still working in Watertown when we moved.  DH was working in Boston.  I would imagine you would have time to get there.  The only issue we had was that they wanted to keep DS because of Jaundice but had to send me home.  There was no room in the Inn for me to stay except to share a lounge with another family in the same boat.  It ended up that DS was discharged to our Pedi's care and then readmitted to Metro West Medical Center's Pedi unit where I could stay with him.  Also, for piece of mind I toured the local hospital that I would have gone to in an emergency near home.

For DD I delivered at a hospital in Worcester.  I went into labor at home and totally would have had time to get to MAH.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We live in the Taunton area and delivered at South Shore Hospital in Weymouth.  It was about a 45 minute drive up route 18 (hardly ever any traffic) and when we left the house I was having contractions every 3 minutes or so.  We got there without incident and my daughter was born a few hours later.  I think that you should be okay with a 45 minute drive but you might want to just check out the local hospitals just in case.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ask this lady:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/12/04/in_rush_hour_labor_ticket_delivered/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Is it 45 minutes that will be an easy drive or one that could potentially have you in a lot of traffic? One thing to consider is that it's not just the delivery--would you be having to go from the South Shore to Mt. Auburn for all your appointments in the last trimester, too? They do get to be much more frequent!

During my second pregnancy, I lived a western burb about 40 mins outside of Boston and delivered at MGH, but that was partly because I worked very close to MGH and it was convenient for my regular appointments. I REALLY sweated getting there for the delivery, but ended up driving in around 1 a.m. so it was no problem. Rush hour could have been a nightmare, though!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Lemonmelon--I was thinking of that too :)

I agree with whoever said to check out the local hospital "just in case" but I don't think you need to change your plans about delivering at Mt. Auburn.  Just have a route and alternate routes planned out and maybe do a couple of "practice" runs during rush hour (morning and night) so you know how long the different routes are likely to take and which one is the best at which time.

We lived in Roslindale until I was 30 weeks and then we moved to the North Shore (one year ago tomorrow!).  I was due June 6th and planning to deliver at BI (I work in Longwood, so appointments were easy to get to).  My biggest fear was going into labor during a time that we'd have to deal w/Red Sox traffic or concert traffic on 93, Storrow, and into the Longwood area.  In the end, I had an emergency-ish c-section at 37.5 weeks that I kinda knew was going to happen that night.  My mother drove me in to the hospital (DH was at work)--during Red Sox traffic for some pre-planned monitoring at L&D triage (I had been there the day before and was told to come back in 24 hours).  It really wasn't too bad and didn't take much longer than it would have any other time.  Then, again, I wasn't in labor and having contractions, so it's a much different perspective!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think about that poor woman all the time.

I really think that 45 minutes is fine, just leave a lot of time for yourself. I live close to the hospital, so when I went in at 2 cm they sent me home. We were at home for about 10 minutes before I went into transistion and when we got back to the hospital about an hour after we'd left, I was at 9 cm and the baby was coming. Nobody wants to give birth in the front seat of a Yaris.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JHA23. Show JHA23's posts

Thank you everyone for your responses, they were very helpful!  I think doing some practice runs and knowing a few routes to take in case of traffic will be a good way to calm my nerves about it! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

JHA23, try not to worry too much. I transisitioned really fast (the last part of labor before the baby comes out), but I was in the first stage of labor for I think 12 hours before that, and I think that's fairly typical. And the first stage is not painful -- I cleaned the house, took a shower, and made the bed -- so you should have plenty of time to prepare and leave.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod18. Show capecod18's posts

JHA23,

I live in the South Shore too and had my baby up at MGH Boston.  I was concerned too but if there really is an emergency and you need to get to a hospital you can always deliver at South Shore hospital.  Of course I went into labor around rush hour traffic which wasn't the best but I still got to MGH in plenty of time for the epidural and had our baby about 5 hours later.

One thing that I didn't know that may be good for you to know is if you do have to call an ambulance (I was almost at that point as I was home alone, water broke and contractions coming very quickly) they will only bring you to the closest hospital which if you live in the South Shore is probably SS Hospital.  That being said, I have heard wonderful things about this hospital.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

I live in Hyde Park and CHOSE to deliver at SSH. They were amazing, so I recommend it if you're not comfortable traveling. That being said, my water broke on a Friday night, I didn't go into labor until Saturday night, hard labor around midnight and DD was born Sunday morning. You will know when it's time to head to the hospital.