How is everyone?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

How is everyone?

I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing?

Lesal - Have fun in Aruba...sooo jealous!

I am feeling pretty good.  Blood pressure has been cooperating.  I think it was so high because of the screening and CVS.  I have my follow up U/S on the 9th to see if the fluid has gone down.  Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Re: How is everyone?

Occ - funny you started a new post because I just came on with news... Glad your bp has gotten better.

AFM - good news on the screening! Just heard back from the genetics person. She was really good about giving me lots of info. She said based on my age alone, my risk for Down's Syndrome was 1/92, but with the u/s and b/w, it's now 1/1821. For trisomy 13 and trisomy 18, my risk by age alone was 1/159, but now it is 1/3162! She said I've screened negative (so they think everything is great) and the results are what you would see in an average 20 year old. Yippee!! Shared the news with DH. We will not be doing the CVS and will think about if we want to do the amnio or just another screening at 18 weeks. Sounds like Sunday will be the big announcement day!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

RHM, congrats on the good news... get ready for everyone to start asking... "So, how are you feeling?" 

Tongue out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

rhm--that is great news! Congratulations and enjoy telling everyone this weekend. :)

occ--glad to hear that things are good and good luck with your next u/s.

AFM, I am just plugging along at 35 weeks. I had my group B strep test yesterday and my first internal exam yesterday. Ouch! No dilation yet (which is fine by me), but the cervix is softening and she can feel his head. I have a growth u/s on Monday to see how big he's measuring at this point. (He was 4.5 lbs three weeks ago.) We had our first baby shower last weekend and another with work friends this Sunday. We've gotten so many adorable, thoughtful gifts. Baby showers are so much more fun than bridal showers! I'm back to work next week (a schoolteacher), but I keep reminding myself it's only for 3.5 weeks!

Happy weekend, everyone! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Cranking along over here at 26 weeks and feeling mostly good, but very pregnant.  My hips are still bothering me and I feel a lot of downward pressure, especially late in the day, but swimming feels SO good (how lovely to be weightless in a time when I otherwise feel so weighted down!), I'm hoping it'll help overall these next 14 weeks.  

My big thing is I have my glucose test coming up and I'm a little nervous about it, although I probably don't need to be.  At my last appointment, I'd only gained 17 lbs which the nurse said was good, my blood pressure was fabulous (118 over 77), and I've been pretty good about what I eat so I'm hoping everything will be fine.  One of my aunts freaked me out a few weeks ago, though, when she visited, asked if I'd had the glucose test yet, and then said, "Be careful; you look like me when I was pregnant and I had Gestational Diabetes with both of my girls."  I quite vividly remember when she was pregnant - she ate everything in sight and she was HUGE (she gained 60 lbs with her first child).  I don't think I look ANYTHING like she did (my mother calmed me by saying, "Oh she's crazy; she was a whale!") but it still put me on edge.  So I guess we'll see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

kaydo--the glucose test isn't that bad. The drink just tasted like regular Kool-Aid to me. I don't understand all the horror stories of all the women gagging and vomiting from the drink.

As for results, it's hard to know. I have a good friend who had GD with her first (but not with her current pregnancy). She ate a balanced diet, worked out, didn't have a ton of weight gain and still had GD. She reassured me before my test that even if you have GD it's not terrible when it can be controlled by diet. She said the diet wasn't bad at all and made it quite easy for her body to bounce back after pregnancy.

Good luck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

kiwi - have a great time at your shower this weekend!

kaydo - why do people say such stupid things to pregnant women?! I think she just wishes she looked like you when she was pregnant. Love your mother's comment! I'm sure you will be fine.

bernice- I'm actually feeling way better than when nobody knew so they can ask all they want!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

36.5 weeks and counting! I'm so ready to be done. Today is my last day of work, at least. I decided to take a couple of weeks off beforehand to get some last minute stuff done...we're still finishing the nursery and have other things going on with the house. I definitely need to STOP reading the Baby Center boards -- it's just stressing me out.

The glucose test is not bad at all. Ask if you can take it home ahead of time and refrigerate it. Mine was nice and cold and really didn't taste any worse than flat orange soda.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

rhm, glad you're feeling better, I didnt start feeling better until 22-24 weeks!

kaydo, boo to your aunt for scarying you about having GD...

Trigirl, I've never been on the babycenter boards... outside of boston.com it seems like every message board is full of crazy people!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Kaydo - I don't understand what people are thinking when they say stuff like that.  Ignore her! 

Kiwi - glad you got some great stuff.  It definitely helps ease some of the financial stress. 

rhm - Good news on your results...I am glad you are feeling better. 

Trigirl - Your almost there! Good idea about taking a couple weeks to get things done.  Good luck.

I saw a different doctor today.  I made the mistake of asking her about the whole fluid issue and she just made me nervous all over again.  Why do I do that?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Yeah, I'm not actually concerned about the taste of the glucose drink (I'm sure I can shovel just about anything into me); it's the thought of actually HAVING gestational diabetes that I'm nervous about.  But my last appointment made me feel like things are going ok.  You have enough people say, "Geez, you're only 6 months?!  You having twins?" and you can't help but wonder if you're somehow freakishly large or what, but I'm measuring right on track and my weight gain is good, so I'm not going to stress.

At the same time, nor am I going to stop myself from eating a few of the brownies I baked this morning, when I woke up at 4:30am because the baby was kicking like mad, my hips hurt, and I couldn't sleep.  (I got more done before 7am than I normally get done in an entire evening!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

In Response to Re: How is everyone?:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I'm not actually concerned about the taste of the glucose drink (I'm sure I can shovel just about anything into me); it's the thought of actually HAVING gestational diabetes that I'm nervous about.  But my last appointment made me feel like things are going ok.  You have enough people say, "Geez, you're only 6 months?!  You having twins?" and you can't help but wonder if you're somehow freakishly large or what, but I'm measuring right on track and my weight gain is good, so I'm not going to stress. At the same time, nor am I going to stop myself from eating a few of the brownies I baked this morning, when I woke up at 4:30am because the baby was kicking like mad, my hips hurt, and I couldn't sleep.  (I got more done before 7am than I normally get done in an entire evening!)
    Posted by kaydo[/QUOTE]

Tell them to MYOFB! If your docs aren't worried, then you shouldn't be either. Annnnnnd...weight isn't always an indicator. I know girls who are absolute rods with basketballs under their shirt who had GD. Tell them to put that in their pipe and smoke it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

yea, I get a mix of people telling me I'm huge and that I'm tiny... you just have to block it all out and as long as the dr says you're fine.. then don't worry.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

occ--I am sorry that your appointment today left you nervous again. I know it's easier said than done, but take comfort in the fact that you already got good results from the CVS. We're all pulling for you and LO to be perfectly healthy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Thanks kiwi for the supportive words.  I definitely take comfort in the CVS results.  It's just when a Dr. tells x,y or z could be wrong it sticks in the back of your mind and at times pops up and makes me uneasy.  I had a fleeting moment this afternoon and now I am okay.   It's times like that I miss having a cocktail Wink

I hope everyone has a great weekend.  Stay dry :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bill1021. Show bill1021's posts

I'm good. I'm so proud my photo of my grandaughter and gradson is still the banner picture for the MOMS section. Isn's she precious.

Grampa Bill from Kansas

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Hi all - hope you all had a great weekend!
    Told our parents about the news on Sunday. DH wasn't feeling great the past few days so he was on the fence about telling then or in a week. I was just too excited and convinced him to do it now. We hung out and chatted for a while and before we headed out to a festival, I said we had something we wanted to tell them - an update on the DE. I said that we had gotten insurance approval and were starting to look at donors, but there was a change of plans and we wouldn't be doing it this year. Then we told them why - MIL came right over and gave me a huge hug and kisses (and of course to DH, too). She said that every Friday when they light the Shabbat candles, she's said a few prayers and one of them was that we would have a baby. FIL seemed happy, but wasn't as expressive (which was fine). After we talked about it for a bit, I called my parents and they were able to get hooked up to Skype. They had my SIL's (brother's wife's) grandmother over for dinner (she lives in FL near my parents and they love her) so she got to hear the news at the same time. I didn't say anything about the DE since I didn't want to get into the whole RE/DE thing with SIL's grandmother on there. My parents were totally shocked - my mom screamed from excitement and cried (typical her). I'll need to call her at lunch and give her more details. We also will start telling our sibs and close friends over the next few days/ weeks. Anyhoo, back at work since we didn't win the Mega Millions!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vaseonthemantle. Show vaseonthemantle's posts

Hi Ladies!

Kaydo - That wasnt nice of your aunt to say! I know how you feel though, for some reason now that Im pregnant i have a "Tell me your pregnancy horror story" sign on my forehead.

Anyway, well I am 12 weeks tomorrow and feeling great. No m/s so far! Just realllly tired. My pants are starting to get snug when i sit (most of the day for work), so I got a bella band type thing at Target this weekend. What a difference! I have a little bump and been having some of those fun stretching pains. Moving right along....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

rhm - I am happy for you being able to share your news with family and friends.  Now you can expect all the "how are you feeling calls". 

Vase - Glad to hear you are feeling well.  I hear you about the tiredness.  It does get better, but I am still tired at night. 

I got my first comment this weekend. "Oh look at your bump you are going to be huge."  Um what?  My bump is definitely not that big I just laughed. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

occ - I think you can legally deck somebody for a question like that and get acquitted due to pregnancy hormones (or at least you can claim that). ARGH! Glad you could laugh about it!

btw, since we're starting to tell our families, I was thinking I may tell my department in the next week or so (my bosses know already because of the m/s - wasn't sure if I'd be out sick a lot or not). Any suggestions on how to tell a group of about 20 people without a mass email? When I got engaged, it was easy - just show the ring. It's not like you can do something similar with this! I'm also not one to call everyone together and say something like this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

rhm, I also had a hard time knowing how to tell everyone at work - especially when people were gossiping about it and I was pissed off about it so I specifically told some people and not others. Of course I am also part of my family's business so I could rely on my younger brother blabbing it to everyone once he found out. 

A mass email could be a good solution or ... if you get a pic from one of your ultrasounds - you could show that around (or email it). 

Have you asked one of your bosses for a suggestion?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Do you have regular staff meetings?  One of the ladies in my department just mentioned it at the end of the meeting in a casual way.  Might be the best way to go.  Another lady we just found out via word of mouth.  I don't think you really have to do a big formal announcement.  HTH!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

RHM, do you have an office busy-body that can spread the word? :-)

I was in a similar situation, I told my immediate supervisor and her two superiors when I was just 6-8 weeks along because of morning sickness and other health issues.  When we decided to start announcing in a broader way, I told the group of people that I was closest to in a small group setting...some other people overheard and joined in and then I sort of let it spread or told people individually as I ran into them.  I work in a department with about 15 people.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I told my colleagues at a staff meeting.  It was actually kind of funny... there are only 8 of us, and we were drawing up a schedule of who would help lug, put together, and break down this huge rental stage that we were using for a performance a few months down the road.  I felt like it was very conspicuous that I wasn't volunteering for any part of it so I finally said, "Um, ok, so this might be a good opportunity for me to explain why I'm not volunteering for this project and that's because when this performance rolls around, I'll actually be 5 months pregnant."  Gasps around the room, hugging and niceties ensued.  Quite funny.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Unfortunately, we don't have regular staff meetings or that would be a good time to do this. I'm not comfortable with the mass email or sending an u/s pic. Guess I'll just go the casual way. I'm not close with anyone in my department, but I'll figure out a way in the next week or so to sneak that tidbit in there. I'm sure with the cubicle walls and tendency of some to love sharing news, it will get around. Maybe I'll luck out and a situation will present itself where someone asks about or talks about kids or having kids. Isn't it ironic that when you actually want someone to bring this stuff up they don't and when you're seeing an RE and are trying for over a year for a BFP that people will find that a good time to ask these things?? Thanks, ladies!

bernice, your situation sounds more complicated with your family's business. I guess I'd figure that once you told your family, it was just as good as telling your coworkers!