How to dress a summer newborn?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

How to dress a summer newborn?

Our LO is due in June. I'm wondering what kind of clothes to buy/register for- both style and size wise. I know the size issue could be a crapshoot, she might be too big for newborn sizes, but I heard 0-3mo sizes can be too big for newborn. Should I get some of each?

Also, what style? We do have central a/c to regulate the temp, and I know babies get cold easily. Would long pants be too much? Footie sleep & plays? Should I get those sleep sacks for night time? Help a FTM out! :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: How to dress a summer newborn?

How quickly we forget!  DD was born last Feb... If I remember correctly last summer wasn't as hot as usual.  We had a window a/c in the living room and in her room, but I don't recall having them on as much as usual. 

Anyway, during the day she would often just wear a onesie or a little romper, dress, or skirt.  Just remember to cover up if you go outdoors.

At night she would wear either a onesie and a cotton sleepsack or a full cotton sleeper and a cotton sleepsack.  We don't use blankets so the sleepsack was a must.  We would often keep the a/c turned on in her room, but it would be turned down SO low, just barely on to keep her from getting hot.  We couldn't keep her windows open at night because it's too loud.  That worked for me though because then I knew what temp the room would be overnight. 

For the first half of the summer (I think), she was still getting swaddled and I was worried that it was too hot, but I was also worried that she wasn't ready to give it up.  You just kind of have to roll with it and adapt week to week!

As far as sizes, I had a few newborn items before she was born - probably less than 10.  I only washed 2 in case she was too big and I had to return them.  She was 7 lbs 7 oz and actually fit in newborn clothes for 5 weeks, so I ended up buying more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Remember, in addition to getting cold easily in cool weather, babies can overheat easily in warm weather, especially with a diaper on (diapers by nature don't breathe well).  You'll definitely need a sun hat with a strap to keep the hat on.  A thin cotton receiving blanket to drape over the opening in the car seat/stroller to create shade is vital.  But pack layers for the baby if you're going to be somewhere with air conditioning.  The baby can get chilly really easily. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Oh, one thing you'll need to be careful of is assuming the baby is warm and cranking up the air conditioning.  After you give birth there's a month or so where you have hot flashes, essentially, and are all sweaty and flushed while your body adjusts to the new, non-pregnant levels of hormones (and gets rid of excess fluids and weight).  So you might need a friend/relative who is not post-partum to gauge what the real temperature in the room is :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(or a thermometer you trust, lol)  

How early can babies wear baby sunscreen?  They say the earliest burns are the cancer causing ones.  Sun hats before that time, as lissafro says, and this site has SPF 50 hats.  My SIL has ordered from here for her Florida vacation and was very happy.  Wait, too bad, these are far too large for newborns, but for anyone reading with older LOs, check it out, they look awesome, and they have really nice stuff for adults, too.  Coolibar SPF Clothing Girl's Hats

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Don't register for any clothes! People are going to buy clothing no matter what, even if you tell them not to. Register for the things you'll actually need.

Kar, babies aren't supposed to wear sunscreen for the first 6 months. It's better to keep them out of the sun entirely. A good solution are the Aiden + Anais muslin swaddles, which can be used for naps, or as a stroller cover ... or a million other things.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

For the summer -  onesies, socks, a big sunhat for outside. A few receiving blanets in case you need to cover up.
    No sunscreen for 6 months - stay in the shade.
    We used cotton swaddles for sleeping.
    I never used newborn - started with 0-3 month. My twins were 6lbs. each.  Some stuff was loose at first, but they grew quickly!
    Don't buy too many cute "outfits" they are a pain to put on and take off. (Babies spit up or get diaper leaks easily) 2 or 3 should do it. People will buy them for you anyway. :)
    Congrats and good luck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Just wait till after your shower to see what you get. I got TONS of clothes (and did not register for one clothing item), I returned nearly half of it since I have more hand me downs than I will ever need. Like Fram said, my DS did not fit into the 0-3 mon size for a while. I had a 7lb 11 oz baby and had to get more newborn outfits.  They get outfits dirty pretty easily so you'll want a few sleeper type newborn outfits.   
       Best advice I got was not to pre wash everything you think you'll use.  Wash a few things and leave the tags on others.  I found that carters and khols take almost anything back w/o a receipt.  I was able to buy other things I needed. 
        We had swaddle blankets as well as summer weight swaddle wraps. Most nights he slept in just a onesie and the swaddle wrap. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

take some of the kimono-style shirts the hospital dresses the baby in - s/he wear those and a diaper, hat and socks for the first few weeks for sure! also, i personally think actual outfits are a waste for babies under 3-4 months - they are just too little, wiggly, and irritable when you try to pull things over their heads! i'd go w/ onesies after the kimono shirts, with aden and anais swaddle blankets. maybe some little jersey leggings/pants too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

My DS was born in August.  Lots of short sleeve bodysuits and pants were our essentials.  Both my kiddos wore NB size for the first 2 months or so, so I think it's worth it to get a few smaller pieces.  That or Gerber 0-3 because they run small.  Sleepsack with swaddle are also essentials.  Get newborn size and a small size one. 

Personally, I'd just register for the sleepacks and not worry about the clothes because as AJuly said, people will get you tons of clothes (especially after the baby is born). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

My DS was born in June last year and he wore nothing but onesies!  We swaddled him naked (ok, diapered!) in a lightweight cotton swaddle in our air-conditioned room.  We had tons of footie pajamas, gowns, pants and he wore NONE of them!  So I'm with Ajuly in recommending to NOT wash all of the clothes before baby comes.  You'll be doing so much laundry anyway with all of the babypoo and spitup, that you won't need lots of clothes.  I had tons of clothes that I put away that DS never wore because he was in a onesie all of the time.  It was just too hot for anything else.  (Baby socks were a joke!  I can't believe I had six pairs of newbie socks - he never wore them once!) 

In terms of going outside, I had little sun hats and a gauzy swaddle to drape over DS when he was in the Bjorn...otherwise, we spent most of our summer indoors.  So much for my "summer vacation" on maternity leave!!! 

I can't make any recommendations as to size since my DS was never a "newborn"...but I would imagine little babies grow into 0-3months pretty quickly.  Plus, you want something loose over the belly button for the first two weeks or so anyway. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Summer - just noted that you have central air...  so mayyyybe you'll need a pair of pants or two!  But seriously - anything more than that is a waste of newbie clothes! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lemon, thanks - 6  months for sunscreen.  I knew it wasn't "newborn" but had no idea how old.  Did you like the hats on that site?  I think your DD might be the right age for them...I think they are totally adorable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have to say, and I don't mean to be contrary just sharing my experience, we didn't & don't use multiple outfits in one day.  Maybe we were just lucky in that DD didn't have reflux - though she did have plenty of blowouts back in the day!  Some days she would let out a huge amount of spitup and of course we'd have to change her, but other than that she could easily wear one outfit all day and then to bed that night.  Then and now I do a load of her laundry every 5-7 days or so.

I am kind of minimalist when it comes to sheets, changing table covers, etc., though I'm sure there are some who are even more so!  DD is 10 months old and I have opened 2 sheets and 2 covers.  I have so many sheets, receiving blankets, changing table covers, onesies, wash cloths, etc. that are still in the packaging.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

It will all depend on how this summer goes (hopefully it will be mild, since I'll be uncomfortably pregnant for most of it!!!)...but I agree with others...have some onesies, kimono shirts, a few pairs of cotton stretchy pants, and sleep and plays and you should be covered.  And I second the Anais blankets for swaddling and sun protection. 

My DD was born in October, so totally different season, but she wore sleep and plays all the timefor the majority of her first 4-6 months...we only got "dressed up" for holidays.  I think you have it easier in the summer! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Fram, I agree it depends on your baby.  Ours spit up a lot and we needed tons of sheets, often changing them more than once a day.

We have a July baby and I loved loved the short sleeve side snap (kimono) shirts.  Our LO pretty much wore those and a diaper around the house, especially while her belly button was still healing.  Then tank top onesies or rompers for outings.  Pants, socks, blankets, and long sleeves packed along with us in case we went somewhere with strong AC.  At night, Aden & Anais swaddles or Miracle blanket over onesie.  We had a window AC but kept it moderate.
    I agree that it's not necessary to register for clothes!  But those kimono shirts were the only things I bought more of after she was born.  I had my MIL pick up more.  If you have family nearby, they love to have a way to help!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: How to dress a summer newborn?:
    I agree that it's not necessary to register for clothes!  But those kimono shirts were the only things I bought more of after she was born.  I had my MIL pick up more.  If you have family nearby, they love to have a way to help!
    Posted by medfordcc

Ditto!  I'm one who probably doesn't ask for help often enough, but I asked MIL and BIL to stop on their way over and buy a couple newborn outfits and caps for the baby's head.  I can't remember why I needed the caps - maybe the ones I had were too big.  Don't be afraid to ask!
    (For the feminine products, I asked my sister to stop instead :o)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My DD didn't spit up much at all but she had explosive liquid breastmilk poops like EVERY time she ate (ever 2 hours?!).  In the summer when it was hot (no AC) she was usually just in her diaper anyway, so we didn't go through quite as many articles of clothing.  It does depend on the kid, though.  I have to say when she did spit up I didn't usually change her clothes that quickly, just wiped them down and let it be.  Your ideas of what you're going to do when you're planning during pregnancy and what you are able to do/decide to do when you have an infant are sometimes a bit far apart haha.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

In Response to Re: How to dress a summer newborn?:
    In Response to Re: How to dress a summer newborn? : Ditto!  I'm one who probably doesn't ask for help often enough, but I asked MIL and BIL to stop on their way over and buy a couple newborn outfits and caps for the baby's head.  I can't remember why I needed the caps - maybe the ones I had were too big.  Don't be afraid to ask! (For the feminine products, I asked my sister to stop instead :o)
    Posted by framerican51008

Haha, Fram - I had my sister buy "the biggest, longest, widest pads you can find" for me, too!  Someday when she gets why I needed them I'll return the favor for her - haha! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Same here on summer baby - 7lb 11 oz but down to just below 7 when we left the hospital.  Kept to the 0 -3 months and they were a bit big but I did not care too much.  The newborn sizes just became too small too quickly.  We did a lot of the cotton sleep n plays, onesies, and a light blanket if necessary.  We actually recieved a ton of printed onesies but no pants what so ever so I sent my mil and mom on a shopping spree and we really did not use them until daycare at 12 wks.
    I agree with the cute outfits not worth the struggle of dressing.  Things with stretchy necks (onesies) and things that snap the whole way such as sleep n plays were the best because you could just unsnap the lower half for diaper changes and not unzipper or undress the entire outft.

Sections
Shortcuts