How to select a Pediatrician

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

How to select a Pediatrician

I live in the Tewksbury/Lowell area and I am going to be a first time mother.  How am I suppose to choose the right pediatrician?  Any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Re: How to select a Pediatrician

We found ours through word of mouth then set up a meeting with her to discuss her views on care.  One thing we found very appealing about our practice is that they have evening and weekend hours for sick/urgent visits.  These were very helpful when you get a call at 3:30 that your child has a fever or something.  If I were changing Pedi's I would look for one with hours like that.  It's something not everyone thinks about.  The other thing we wanted to know where the regular office hours.  What are the earliest and latest appointments?  Who covers for the Pedi?  Those types of things in addition to schooling, board certification and feeling when we met her were how we chose our Pedi.  Some Pedi groups are connected to the OB group and will have a meet the Pedi night.  My OB's gave me a listing of Pedi's in the area too.  Good luck in your search!  I can't give you any actual names as we aren't in the same area.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Hi June!!

I asked this awhile back too because I had no clue!!!   I started by asking people I know in the area with kids who they use (I teach in the area so I had plenty of parents to ask).  Do you have neighbors or colleagues in the area with kids?    I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.   Then I looked up those practices online.   The books (and our birthing class instructor as well as others on these boards) all reccommend you select a couple that you think you might like and make an appointment.   I felt silly doing this but the practice I chose (and many, probably most others) make actual pre-natal visits where you go in and meet, and interview, the doctor you are interested in.   There are lists of questions available online as well as in many of the books.      I have chosen a practice and go to meet the doctor tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"I am going to be a first time mother.  How am I suppose to choose the right pediatrician?"

26 years ago, we wondered the same. Settled it by asking the OB/GYN who was going to deliver our child who he brought HIS kids to.  Never had a moments regret.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

That is a very good way to do it Easydoesit!  I was very happy to know that my new OBGYN (used for baby #2) was my Pedi's OBGYN.