How will you get hold of DH when "it's time"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

How will you get hold of DH when "it's time"?

So, I'm 34 weeks along and starting to get a little panicky about getting hold of my husband (if he's not with me) when "it's time."  He's a recording engineer and is often holed up in the studio or on locations with crummy cell phone reception, so I'm thinking of getting him a pager.  Does anyone know if pagers work where cell phones might not??

p.s. And where the heck do you get pagers these days?  I just called Verizon Wireless and they don't even have them anymore.  Hrm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: How will you get hold of DH when "it's time"?

I plan on just calling him, worse case just leave a message.  I am with you, 34 weeks and measuring 2 weeks ahead so at nights when he works as a bartender a 1/2 hour from our house, we need to work on a contingency plan.  The good thing is, we have family within minutes from us so I would be able to get to the hospital if he isnt around.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

My husband is unreachable at work due to a similar problem. My plan was this:
    1. I had a friend on call who could drive me to the hospital if I was home.
    2. I would leave a message for DH informing him that he should meet me when possible, after eating.
    3. I had a 4x6 card of relevant medical information and contact numbers laminated and I carried it in my handbag (in case of a really bad situation.)
    4. When we got down to the final days and my B-H were definitely moving forward, he called me at noon just to check on my day. 

Things to remember:
    • Labor is not typically superfast.
    • Statistically, you are more likely to go in to labor at night rather than during the day.
    • Your job is to have the baby. Technically, he need not be present for this part.
    • It isn't a lot of fun to be alone when in labor, but it is likely to happen for brief bits.  You may even welcome it at times. 
    • One way or another, whether he is there or not, you will find your way into the hands of people who are interested in helping you to have a healthy baby. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Kaydo, do you know any drug dealers?  They always have pagers.  ;) 

Which is probably not overly helpful.  I know he's holed up, but can he get e-mail in there?  You guys might want to set-up a check-in schedule with calls/e-mails.  And establish a phone tree of sorts -- maybe tap a friend/relative who you could call who could keep trying him while you focus on Having Baby. 

My two cents. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Hadn't thought to tap the drug-dealing community for advice; must work on that.  :)

Unfortunately most times, DH is not available by email during the day either.  He either has a client in the studio with him (and when you're billing by the hour, you can't really stop to check your email on their dime) or he's on location with no internet access (yesterday he was in a big lecture hall at Harvard, recording Yo-Yo Ma all day - "Umm, excuse me Mr. Ma, would you mind halting that Bach piece you're so brilliantly playing, so that I may call my pregnant wife?"  Ha!).  

I found some pagers on Amazon.com but I don't even know how you get service, etc.  Guess this research now gets added to my ever-growing Baby To-Do List!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

If it helps, Arch Wireless is the company that provides pager services to the hospital where I work. I tried googling them and they're connected with a company called USA Mobility. I don't know if they provide individual service plans (i.e., not a whole hospital's fleet) - but might be worth a call to their customer service line?

http://www.usamobility.com/

Good luck!

P.S. Pagers do often work when cellphones don't - that's why hospitals still use them (plus they're cheaper).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have found that pagers tend to work when cells don't.  No, we're not drug dealers!  I know people in EMS. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Try Radio Shack for a pager.  They seem to have almost everything. Good Luck!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

No info on the beeper here. But I'd set up a schedule of calls with DH  as you get closer.

You'll probably know you'll be closer to labor as the doc starts telling you how dialated/efaced you are...and the more signs- BH, loss of plug, etc you get.

one girlfriend woke up to her water breaking, then 30+ hours of labor followed-she had plenty of time to get DH and herself to the hospital. My labor was "fast" (<5 hr start to finish) and that was still plenty of time to get to DH no matter were he was (though thankfully he was asleep in our bed).

Best of luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

kaydo,
    No need to worry extensively. You will know, when time is there and there will be plenty of time to get hold of hubby. Especially if it is your first one. People are willing to help you to get to the hospital - and of course, there is always the fire department or the police to call.
    But if you set up arrangements with a couple of neighbors or close by family members, you should be pretty safe. They will get you to the hospital and get hold of your husband for you. Babies are not shooting out like rockets, they like to take their time, and your husband will be able to be there with you before you know. Good luck and relax!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I agree with the other posters that in most cases you will have time to get in touch with DH when you think your labor has started.  But, I did not have one of those circumstance.  First contraction was so bad, could not even speak it was horrible, second contraction called doctor, and off the hospital we were.  Good thing DH was working 2nd shift that week so he was home with me, if not, I would have had to call 911 or hopefully get in touch with someone that could take me ASAP.  For my first baby, it was so quick.  First contraction was at 12:30 pm, had DD at 1am.  only about 12 hours of labor.   There is no way I would have lasted at home for any longer than I did.

My advice, have a backup plan...you never know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Yeah, I have to say, I have too many friends & family who had extremely short labours, even with their first child, to even remotely rely on the "Oh, it's your first baby, it won't come fast anyway" advice (see my post a few weeks ago about my best friend who started "feeling funny" around noon, arrived at the hospital at 3:00, and had the baby at 3:20!).  Also, there are days when my husband is holed up in the studio for 12-15 hours at a time, and even though I'm trying to get him to remember to keep his cell phone on & near him, I still worry he's going to forget (and he's notorious for letting the darn thing run out of battery).  So I'm still thinking a beeper (that I can literally make sure it attached to his belt each morning) is the way to go, in our situation.

Thanks for all of the advice!