Infant Carseat question...Graco

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Infant Carseat question...Graco

Argh - I think I may be way overthinking this thing but, wondering if anyone would be willing to post a picture of how their infant carseat is installed? I want to know why the handle has to be so far back. It seems perfectly safe to me in Graco's position "C" but the manual says never to have it in that position in a vehicle. I just don't see why!

It doesn't say not to have it in position "A." It doesn't say you can't...just doesn't say you can either. So anyone w/ a Graco Snugride 22 - can you tell me what position your handle is in in the car?

Also why does there need to be an inch between the seat and the passenger seat? It seems to me it is more snug if the seat is right up against the back of the seat. Is it an airbag issue?

I'll take this over to our Police Dept next week but the guy isn't in today and this is really driving me crazy wondering, and I can't find any answers online.

Thanks in advance

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Re: Infant Carseat question...Graco

I don't know if this helps but this is how I put the handle of my carseat (it was easier than taking a picture):

http://theheartknows.gracobaby.com/install/install.html

I have a snugrider 32 but I am sure the directions are the same. 

I don't know about the inch I just did it but I would think having the seat right up against the carseat would be bad because it would push on the carseat, especially if you were in a minor car accident. An inch really isn't a lot of space but the carseats take up a lot more room than I ever thought if that is why you are wondering.  I have a volvo and even being short I feel really close to the dash in the front.  We are currently car shopping and that is definitely one thing we have been focusing on because the convertible seats backwards take up a lot of space too. 

HTH a little!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

We had a snugride and it was fine.  I can't post a picture because my daughter has graduated to a front-facing bigger seat. 
    I think the reason it has to be an inch from the front seat is because in an accident everything gets thrown around and while it appears snug now, the front seat's movement might force the car seat at a weird angle somehow.  Also, they are probably concerned that being wedged against the front seat might restrict the car seat's movement slightly while you're tightening the seat belt and give a false sense of tightness when it's actually still a little loose. 
    Also, I found, once it was installed, that I alway naturally pushed the handle back to because if I didn't I couldn't see her face in the mirror we put up on the back seat. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Honestly, I didn't know you weren't supposed to have the handle up over the baby's face until someone told me 3 months into me using it.  I think it's a safety precaution in case the baby isn't strapped in correctly - he or she could feasibly hit the bar with their head if the car got into an accident.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Somebody told me that in an accident, the carseat is designed to "clamshell" up to the back seat, keeping the baby safe inside, if that makes sense (but I have no idea if this is true).  So, if the handle were up, it would be in the way.  I imagine it's the same reason you need an inch of space between the front seat and the carseat.  We put the handle down so it meets the the top of the seat which I guess is position C.  I had no idea that the manual says not to do this.  Silver, you're not alone, carseat installation drives most first time parents crazy I think. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Sorry - I don't actually know what position "C" is, so perhaps my above post was not helpful!  I guess I should read my manual again!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

oh boy, 2 kids and we pretty much ALWAYS  have the handle up... so they can play with the hang-y things.... Guess I'd better read my manual too!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I think from what I've read now, Graco seat handle can either be all the way up or all the way down. The manual KIND OF says this but not right out. They imply it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

A fireman told me that the handle should always be down, and the inch of space is also needed for exactly the reasons betty stated.  If you were to get into a particular type of accident, the seat is supposed to basically lift up and hit the back of the car seat.  This is another reason (in addition to it flying off) you shouldn't have a mirror or anything stuck to the back of the seat, unless it's high enough that the baby wouldn't hit it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I obviously don't know how credible this is, but here is a chart I found:

http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.com/2010/06/infant-carrier-handle-position-where.html

and:

http://www.carseat.org/Resources/660_handles.pdf

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

DH and I figured out the easy solution tonight - buy a new car. :-) So we have a slightly dorkier version of our kind of cool Hatchback. But baby will be safe and Mommy will be comfortable. And we saved ourselves $30/month on our monthly payment! :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from momofatoddler. Show momofatoddler's posts

I just had my Snugride 32 inspected yesterday and we discussed the handle being up.  The state trooper doing the inspection said that for years they told you to keep it down because it causes the seat to stop short in an accident. The greater the distance the seat travels before coming to a stop, the less impact there is.  Now Graco is saying you can keep it up and some think it would act like a roll bar. He said that each parent has to make the decision themselves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Silver, too funny, my DH and I joked that we would "graduate" to a Madza 5 after we had a baby, but so far the Mazda 3 is working for us, but we're not tall people.  Glad you found a solution! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cnanavati. Show cnanavati's posts

If the handle is up, it prevents the carseat from flipping against the back of the seat, creating a protective zone for the baby.  I'm not sure, but given enough force, the handle could probably snap and create an additional hazard to the child.  It needs to be all the way back so that the seat can react as tested during an accident.  Safety ratings don't mean a damn thing if you're not using it correctly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carriefranf. Show carriefranf's posts

This thread has me pretty worried that we've been doing it wrong the whole time with both our kids... guess I should get ours inspected, argh.

But about the seat flipping up hypothesis... in the highest-speed collisions, don't things usually get thrown towards the front of the car?  (The car and all its contents are moving frontwards.  If the car suddenly stops, as when it hits something, all the things inside will continue moving frontwards.)  The only way the carseat would flip backwards into the rear seat would be if the car suddenly accelerated, as it would if it were stopped and a fast-moving car hit it from behind.  But those accidents seem less likely to be high-speed, to me.  Am I just visualizing this wrong?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

I may be mistaken, but I recall rading a while back that Graco changed the requirement for the handle position so that any position is ok, but like I said, I may be imagining that. I have an older snugride (2007), so mine would have been before the change, but check a newer manual to see. I recall this discussion from an old birth club board I used to read.

As for the inch, it is to allow space during an accident so that the infant seat doesn't get trapped under the driver seat (or passenger seat). Betty is right that the infant seat is designed to clamshell up in an accident, i.e.  it flips up toward that back seat and protects the baby that way.

I know, it's all confusing, right? Great move to have a tech check it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I just want to toss in here that I had my carseat installed by a cop, well lets just say that even tho he installed it, it wasnt right by any means.  Yes they are trained professionals, but my carseat was sliding all over the seat everytime I turned a corner which clearly wasnt safe for my DD.  I had to learn real fast how to safely install my carseat the right way.  I wish I trusted my own ability to do it before going out of my way to have someone else do it.  Now Im more than comfortable taking out my infant carseat adapter and putting it into other cars and it takes no time at all.

Sections
Shortcuts