January 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: January 2013 Pregnancy

Think of it this way - if induction usually led to c section, why would they give you drugs to make labor more productive?  Statistically speaking, it must lead to more vaginal births than c sections or they'd just skip the pitocin and wheel you directly into the operating room.

ETA: If the only time your bp is elevated is for the first five minutes of your appointments it's a non-issue.  They won't induce if there's no medical reason for it, and if your bp is normal 99% of the pregnacy your bp will have no bearing at all on how things go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kar - Happy (I think belated?) Birthday! I hope you had fun celebrating! :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Jleigh...I had pregnancy induced hypertension with both of my pregnancies...started taking a super-low dose of labetalol at around 25 weeks with both kids.  With DD (now 2) I had a planned C-section because she was breech, and with DS (4 mos) I had a VBAC, without induction.

With DS, I started having elevated BP in that last week, to the point that they actually sent me to the hospital to be evaluated for induction.  Got there and my BP was normal to LOW, so they sent me home.  Ended up going into labor on my own, and having the most amazing birth! 

Unless you're regularly getting readings with the bottom number over 90, I'd advocate for yourself...my BP was ALWAYS higher at the beginning of appointments, mostly because I was nervous that it would be high!  It's a slippery slope.  Ask for protein screens at every appointment...having a record of no protein in your urine will support your white coat theory.  Also, offer to take readings 1-2 times a day at home and bring the log in to the OB app'ts.  It shows you're being cautious. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Jleigh - both of my pregnancies were induced and both times, I delivered vaginally. My first was due to my water breaking at the end of week 36 and second was scheduled a little after 39 weeks. And both were big babies with big heads (I blame DH for that) but I was able to deliver them vaginally without any major issues. The two labors were as different as day and night despite the fact they were induced (which only hits home that every pregnancy and childbirth really is so individual and so different each time around).

I am starting to think I dislike the term natural childbirth as the end all, be all goal... as DH pointed out to me (while freaking out when I asked him his thoughts on a home birth :) ), women and babies died regularly via "natural" childbirth. I believe there has to be a fine line to balance medical care and "natural" childbirth, but at the same time, today's medical care allows for much better outcome from pregnancies and deliveries than in the past.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, chicklet - impressive memory!  Yup, I'm 41...how is that possible, lol?!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Jleigh, I also really hoped for a natural birth in my pregnancy with my DD (she's now 14 months) and ended up having to be induced (my water broke and I didn't go into labor on my own during the next 5 days).  I consented to that because it seemed to be medically necessary, and I did still refuse pain medication and delivered vaginally and feel really good about the experience.  So, I think it's reasonable to be concerned about induction, but it doesn't have to be a stop on the way to a c-section.  That said, given a choice, I would  try to avoid induction if that's reasonable in your situation.  I think chiclet's advice was good--make sure that your doctor knows your concerns and understands that you have a strong preference, educate yourself, be prepared to advocate for yourself if you don't agree that induction is necessary.  But then, if, being educated, you're convinced that it is necessary, then focus on what you can control and make the best of it.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Kar, Happy Birthday!!!

cwagner, I think your husband makes a great point.  I don't know if its because I'm having twins and know that my chances of having a c section are so high so I'm mentally preparing... but I don't really see the big deal in have a "natural" childbirth.  Yes, the recovery is longer but neither method really has a pleasant recovery.  My goal is two healthy babies and whatever the best way to get them out is what I'm going with.  The reality is that very high percentages of twin births had terrible outcomes in the olden days (including my grandmother who lost her twin sister at birth since c-sections weren't common back then) so I'm just greatful for the medical advances that have given me the chance to have children and will make their survival much more likely.  Just my opinion. 

Had a great 14 week check up OB appointment this weekend.  No ultrasounds so I didn't get to see the little ones but there were still two healthy heartbeats which was reassuring.  Feels nice to be in my second trimester finally.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm glad to hear all of your stories about inductions leading to natural and/or vaginal births. It makes me worry less. My doctor knows I want to go drug-free, but she isn't very supportive. Every time it comes up, she pretty much dismisses me and says most patients get an epidural. She also said she is skeptical of the white-coat syndrome. I think I will need to advocate for myself a bit more going forward given her attitude -- I plan to have a doula, so maybe she can give me some strategies for dealing w/ my doctor in the third trimester.

SS, glad you had a great appt! Welcome to the second trimester.

Happy birthday, kar!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd personally get a new doctor, jl.  She dismisses your drug-free birth plan and dismisses proven research on bp being higher for being at the doctor's office?  not to mention you've taken your bp at home AND five minutes later at the office and it's fine?!  She sounds like a stubborn, too big for her white coat doctor I'd never see again.  I think your fears are justified that she's going to do with you and your baby what SHE wants to do regardless of medical necessity and your preferences.

thanks for all the birthday wishes!  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

jl, I had a drug free birth and my doctor was very supportive of it. When labor started the nurses were all informed of the decision. I agree with Kar in that I'd be looking for a new doctor. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Jleighla - I hate to say this, but have you considered switching doctors? Considering she does not seem to support and respect your opinions, it does not sound like that will improve. It is important to have a doctor that you feels supports your needs and wishes... Because when time comes to labor and delivery, you do not want to have to keep having to fight for what you want. It is good that you plan to have a doula, I feel they can be great if you have one that shares the same views as you. But that would not be enough to overcome feeling frustrations with your doctor as your pregnancy continues and during labor.

I know one of my co-workers regret that for his wife - they moved here in her third trimester and went with the first doctor they could get an appointment, and although they felt she was okay for the checkups, they blame their poor experience with their birth on the fact they did not seem to be on the same page with their doctor. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's three votes for new doctor.  It's decided.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Here's a 4th vote for Jleighla to switch! I switch both OB practices and hospitals with this pregnancy around 20 weeks and am much happier with the new practice. Go for it you'll feel so much better!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Jleighla....I 5th it.  It at least wouldn't hurt to look.  If you and your doctor aren't seeing eye-to-eye now, when it comes down to it and you are in the heat of the moment, she definitely won't want to go with your choices over hers then.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

I would love to switch practices entirely. However, my insurance requires me to see a military doctor at a military hospital, and from asking around, it appears she's one of the better ones! I actually like her more than my previous military doctor. Maybe I will just randomly pick another one for my next appt, and hope for the best. Thanks for all your support, everyone. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jl, about her being one of the better ones, my friend had the known best multiples doctor in Boston.  However, his general philosophy clashed with hers and she didn't care much for his attitude, either, and switched to a "lesser" doctor.  She had the experience she was hoping for (to the extent medically possible) and never regretted the switch.  What is great for one patient is awful for another - this doctor may be the best of your choices for other women whose plans and philosophies differ from yours, but I hope you can find a doc that does align more closely with how you want to approach things.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JL - I think your idea to pick a random one in that practice is a good one. I've been trying to see all the midwives in the practice I go to so I'm not meeting someone for the first time while I'm in labor. Maybe when you start meeting some doulas, they can recommend who within your practice is supportive of a med-free delivery? I think you're smart to want a doula given your limited options for physicians. The last thing you want is to feel like you're fighting someone in the delivery room and hopefully your doula can be both your advocate and your buffer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Update: I had heard through the grapevine that at a smaller Navy medical center in my area there is a midwife practice. I called over there just now to see if I can switch to a midwife, and they said no problem! I am so thrilled -- such a huge relief. Thanks for the push -- I might not have bothered to call if not for you guys!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!!  Great job taking control of what could have snowballed into who knows what.  I've got great confidence your experience will be much better for that call.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Good call...I had midwives for both of my pregnancies and they were great!!!  The whole fabric of the visits was so different from when I met with the OB (who I had to meet with b/c of breech baby the first time and wanting a VBAC the second time). 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

JL - Just lurking and wanted to weigh in: I, too, was induced and had a natural vaginal birth. I've been on labetalol for high bp for several years and b/c of that they were monitoring growth. They induced me at 37 1/2 weeks b/c DS hadn't gained weight in a week (according to the u/s). I'll admit that I had a hard time handling the pain, and may have caved for an epidural had DS not come so quickly. My difficulty with the pain could have been either b/c of the pitocin or because I psyched myself out ABOUT the pitocin's effect on pain management (self-fulfilling prophecy).

Long story short, I have some doubts/regrets about the experience b/c I wonder if the induction was necessary. DS's vitals in utero were fantastic up until he came out and he was born perfectly healthy, just small. I loved my OB, but I'm definitely going to look into midwives next time, so -- though I can't speak from experience -- I think you made exactly the right move!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

JL - Is it possible for the doctor to take your BP at the end of the visit instead of at the beginning? If it was fine 5 minutes later, then I don't see the harm in getting through the visits and then having it taken once you know the baby is fine and everything looks good. Just a thought.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

just a note about what would be excellent logic, but alas, is not.

Kar, it makes perfect sense to assume that all the inductions statistically lead to more vaginal births since it logically follows the assumption that the doctors wouldn't do it unless it led to the desired goal.  The only problem with the logic is that the doctors have a large incentive to protect against liability. If they induce, no one can say they didn't induce (didn't do the most that they could to get that baby out).  If they give a c section, no one can claim they didn't do the best they could to get that baby out in time. 

That being said, with my second baby, I would have been one of those ladies that died in childbirth if I hadn't had pitocin.  I still didn't have an epidural or any pain medication but I needed the pitocin when my labor stopped after having contractions for over 36 hours (2 minutes apart for the last 6 of those hours).  They gave me pitocin and 45 minutes later, voila, baby.  So hooray for medicine!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Omg, I never thought of that, lissa, but it makes sense in this nutty, overly litigious society...sigh. :(  That makes me so angry.  Didn't they take an oath to first do no harm?!  I hate that that means harm to their careers and bottom lines.

thank goodness you had pitocin available!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

jleighla, really glad you were able to switch to a midwife!  I delivered with a midwife and she was fantastic.  (I don't know how it works in your practice--in mine you just delivered with whichever midwife was on duty, so I had never met this one before, but she was great.)  Even so I don't think anyone took me  seriously about the no drugs until I was 8 centimeters dilated and then they all started talking about what a beautiful natural childbirth I was having.  It was kind of funny.   

Sections
Shortcuts