January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

January Pregnancy!

Thought I would kick start this thread :)
    Had a pretty uneventful NYE...was asleep by 11pm. How about everyone else?

Hope everyone is doing well!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

Happy New Year all!  Liz, I too was asleep by 11. My DH woke me up (per my request) so I could watch the ball drop and then I went right back to sleep!  For NY eve we went out to a nice dinner and I ordered a non-alcoholic drink (cranberry and pineapple juice mixed equally with a splash of seltzer) and she served it in a martini glass!  It was sort of a fun alternative to ordering water.

AFM - feeling pretty good.  8.5 weeks and chugging along.  Told my parents over the weekend but haven't told anyone else yet.  I have my first appointment with the OB on Friday.  I had a u/s last week showing a healthy bean with a hb of 170 bpm, which I was really happy about! 

How's everyone else doing?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to January Pregnancy!:
    [QUOTE]Thought I would kick start this thread :) Had a pretty uneventful NYE...was asleep by 11pm. How about everyone else? Hope everyone is doing well!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

I made it to midnight, but was asleep not long after. I was virtually the only sober person at the party I attended...that was interesting!

We had our  16 week appt last week, and everything sounded good, HB at around 150bpm and we could hear blips that the NP said were baby moving all around in there. I still don't feel anything though :(

Anyone have what seems like cervical pain? Mild sharp pains that last a minute or so, and happen several times a day? I called my OB's office on NYE actually, and spoke to the Dr. on call. She said from my description that it's probably nothing. The office is closed today, so I'm thinking I'll call for an appt tomorrow if it's still happening. I don't know if it's just growing pains or ligaments or what, so it has me worried. I thought maybe it was the baby kicking, but at 16 weeks is it even strong/big enough to do that? And why wouldn't I feel any other kicks?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Summer, are you sure it's actual cervical pain or is it just in that general lower area? Are you feeling it when you get up off the couch, move quickly, for example?  If so, that sounds like round ligament pain or whatever it's called.  I remember around 16-18 weeks I started really feeling it with my first.  It's just everything stretching.  It's sharp and startling but it's perfectly normal.  I'd still ask your doctor but I wouldn't worry about it between now and your checkup.

Kicks wouldn't be that sharp yet.  At first they're very fluttery, and ripply, and then they get to be actual punches/kicks, very cute.  Then they get to be just streeeeetches for more space and full-on kicks that kind of hurt and are uncomfortable, a lot later. When you're like 36 weeks you'll start to feel actual kicks/punches to your cervix from the inside.  It is one of the most disconcerting sensations ever haha.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

hehe... yes... at 38 weeks the head-butting of my cervix is awesome!  I've had sharp pains to my cervix for about 2 weeks now, but it probably has more to do with the beginning of dialation and a 7lb baby resting on it.  Around 24 weeks if I remember right I had downward kicks that I could definitely feel, but were more a thump than a sharp pain.  Sharp pains at 16weeks definitely sound more like round ligament pain.  There is a lot of stretching and growing going on and I feel like the rate of growth really picked up around 16/17 weeks so things are changing faster than ever. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    [QUOTE]Summer, are you sure it's actual cervical pain or is it just in that general lower area? Are you feeling it when you get up off the couch, move quickly, for example?  If so, that sounds like round ligament pain or whatever it's called.  I remember around 16-18 weeks I started really feeling it with my first.  It's just everything stretching.  It's sharp and startling but it's perfectly normal.  I'd still ask your doctor but I wouldn't worry about it between now and your checkup. Kicks wouldn't be that sharp yet.  At first they're very fluttery, and ripply, and then they get to be actual punches/kicks, very cute.  Then they get to be just streeeeetches for more space and full-on kicks that kind of hurt and are uncomfortable, a lot later. When you're like 36 weeks you'll start to feel actual kicks/punches to your cervix from the inside.  It is one of the most disconcerting sensations ever haha.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

I can't really pinpoint exactly where it is, just that it feels internal and it's doesn't feel like a cramp. It does feel like it's under my uterus though. It happens randomly, not really when I get up or move. There's no pattern to it. DH keeps telling me not to worry since I spoke to the dr and she wasn't concerned...does he know how a pregnant woman's mind works??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

[QUOTE]It is one of the most disconcerting sensations ever haha.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

yep!  And the rest of Lissa's post is how my pregnancy progrssed too, in terms of feeling kicks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

I am also 8.5 weeks and I was in bed by 9!  I have been so exhausted.  I took a four hour nap both saturday and sunday and still went to bed at 9.  I feel like this first trimester is going by SOOOO SLOOOOW.  I can't wait to get some energy back!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm 5.5 weeks and spent NYE drinking "mocktails", which I poured sneakily to ensure that no one knew I was drinking cran and seltzer and not cosmos.  I hate this stage when no one knows!  Luckily we were at a party and not a bar or restaurant, so I could do that! 

I also had a mini-breakdown this weekend thinking about what this will mean for DD.  I was looking at her sleeping and she still looks so much like a baby (14 mos, so she is!), and all of the sudden, I started crying.  Of course, I'm 2 years older than my sister, and I can't remember life without her, so I know she'll be fine, but hormones definitely were in effect.  Also, she's been in a real mama phase for the last week or so, so that sure has not helped my guilt! 

Feeling fine, though...

Summer, there are definitely some weird twinges and tweaks that happen, due to your uterus stretching, and to things all realigning.  That's when you realize there really is something - and someone - growing in there!  If you feel weird, do call the doctor's office; it never hurts to talk to the nurse and get some reassurance!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Happy New Year Mamas!  My second trimester starts this week, and I am definitely starting to feel a difference - less tired, less nauseous, more little aches and pains.  We started clearing out the "dump everything that doesn't have a place to go" closet this weekend, since that will become the baby's closet.  I'm so excited to acutally be preparing for baby's arrival!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

[QUOTE]I am also 8.5 weeks and I was in bed by 9!  I have been so exhausted.  I took a four hour nap both saturday and sunday and still went to bed at 9.  I feel like this first trimester is going by SOOOO SLOOOOW.  I can't wait to get some energy back!
    Posted by savvyshopper926[/QUOTE]

Savvy, I am 10 weeks 4 days and this has been the LONGEST 10 weeks of my LIFE!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

31 weeks and just had yet another night where I was awoken from a very-needed sleep by fetal movements.  Literally went on for an hour and a half last night!!  Rolls, kicks, bumps, twists I think I felt it all.  I was nearly ready to just get out of bed at 5am but then they finally stopped. 

Anyone else commisserate? :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Summer, my kicking basically followed the pattern Lissa mentioned, so I do think it's early for that to be it, but round ligament pain sounds right. Mine sometimes happened randomly -- not from movement. I did feel kicking pretty early, though, and some of the earliest was like that kick to the cervix, but it was probably not until 22 weeks or so. Can't say I'm glad to hear it picks up again later in pg. My little guy's movements have been mostly higher up and pleasant (though I've had a few jabs recently that have led me to swear out loud :-)).

All you first trimester ladies, I hear you on just wanting to get to that 12/13 week mark. I know it's different for everyone but for me it was SO much better -- less worrying, less fatigue, and the ability to eat more than 3 different foods.

We had guests on NYE, which was a huge mistake. I had a cold that I thought I was kicking but it hit me hard that afternoon and I was miserable. One of our guests (my best friend, actually) got a bit drunk and, despite my constant sneezing and her husband's urging that they should go, stayed and just kept talking until about 2, and of course I was too stupidly polite to say I had to go to bed. I spent the next 2 days on the couch. Despite feeling totally awful and run down, it was kind of nice to be forced to rest. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen again for...18 years or so.

The nesting instinct is kicking in for me and I can't wait to get LO's room set up. We just had some roof leak/water damage in there repaired and will hopefully be able to paint and get the crib delivered after this weekend.

Question -- We're having our crib delivered and assembled for $120 from Baby Furniture Warehouse. Should we still tip the guys who deliver?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]31 weeks and just had yet another night where I was awoken from a very-needed sleep by fetal movements.  Literally went on for an hour and a half last night!!  Rolls, kicks, bumps, twists I think I felt it all.  I was nearly ready to just get out of bed at 5am but then they finally stopped.  Anyone else commisserate? :)
    Posted by hughkona[/QUOTE]

I'm not there yet but I remember it.  Interestingly, my DD had a very set schedule of wakefulness and sleep. You could set your watch by when she would wake me up kicking at the end.  Her schedule continued after her birth to when she was 2 or 3 weeks old.  She would wake up to eat at 3:20AM every night the same way she would wake me up kicking when she was in utero. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

At what week in pregnancy would you say is most appropriate to set up the baby room? I'm 31wks, but I think that seeing it all ready will make me think the end is near, when it is really months away!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

luv- I am so glad you said that (not that you are crying...) because I was coming here to post the same thing.  I was thrilled to be pregnant with DS. but I find myself feeling sad sometimes when the three of us do things now, because I know that it will all change for him. DH keeps telling me that he NEEDS a sibling and that it will be good for him, but I feel so sad for him. i am sure this is 100% guilt about working as much as I do... but still.

other than that, starting my 7th week ok. I was really lucky with DS to not have any morning sickness and thankfully that has been the case again. Nausea has hit me pretty hard- especially around alcoholic drinks (others- not my own!!). 

hugh- not that pregnant now, but I swear my last was the same way. DH actually looked forward to bedtime because DS was most active and easiest to feel through my belly.

summer- I agree with the other's postings- my rule was that unless I was bleeding or my doctor seemed concerned that I shouldn't worry. (not that it always worked... but anyway).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Hugh - I'm just a week behind you and I'm getting there. Until last week, I was able to fall asleep even when LO was kicking, but lately as soon as I lie down he starts an all-out dance party. It's just a matter of time before he starts waking me up.

After just posting about the occasional swear-inducing kicks, too, I've had like 5 more of them this morning. For some reason my left side is tender and he is just pummeling me on that side (pretty sure he's been residing over there for a few weeks now). Even what feels like just him stretching hurts. Try out the right side, buddy!

I don't think it's too soon to set up the nursery if you want to now. Of course it's a bit easier for me to say b/c we're being held up by the work we're having done in there now, so by the time it actually happens I'll only have a month or so left.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Winter, I'm glad we can validate one another!  It's tough to think that for the first one, I was so excited and nervous and always thinking about the one I was carrying.  With this one, at least for now, my biggest concerns are for the one who's already with me, and how all of this will effect her. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]At what week in pregnancy would you say is most appropriate to set up the baby room? I'm 31wks, but I think that seeing it all ready will make me think the end is near, when it is really months away!
    Posted by hughkona[/QUOTE]

As a FTM, I may be wayyy overzealous with this...but I want to start ASAP! I'm 16 weeks now. So far all we've done is mostly empty the room, order new carpet, and put a new shelf/organized the closet. Then again, I'm the type that wants things done yesterday. My parents and DH and I are going furniture shopping this weekend. I'm 90% sure I'll have the room done with months to spare :)

On a totally unrelated note, that is IT. I am calling my PCP for a dermatologist referral tomorrow. No improvement for my awful breakouts since that thread I started like a month ago. I actually called today but they left the office at 330...go figure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ditto Luv and Winter.  I worry about how DD will handle it and I worry about giving her as much attention as she needs while working full time and having #2.  I already feel guilty that I need to take a nap on weekend days when I should be spending time with her (she doesn't nap long enough for me to nap with her).

Great to hear how everyone else is doing!  Summer, I concur that it sounds like round ligament pain.  My doctor pretty much told me the same thing as Winter's when I would talk about certain pains.  I remember I called him on Memorial Day because I was having such awful gas pains I couldn't even stand up.  I swore I was going into (very early) labor.  Everything's scarier when you're pregnant.  Isn't it grand?  ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I am having a minor freak out moment that we don't have enough room in our condo!! We live in a two story condo and the downstairs is a living room/dining room combo and a kitchen. I am spazzing out wondering where the heck we are going to put all of the toys!!! We have a basement, but I don't think it is worth it to finish, because I am hoping to move into a single family within the next 2-3 years.

AHHH!!! Anyone else live in a "smaller" place....what did you do to organize, what about play area!?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Happy New Year! Summer, just wanted to offer a bit of reassurance - I first started to feel our LO at around 17 weeks, and my doctor told me that was on the earlier side b/c my placenta was positioned at the back (nothing blocking his little punches/kicks). Did your doc or ultrasound tech mention anything about the position of your placenta? I know that if it's positioned in the front, it can take much longer to feel the baby, and I'd hate for you to worry if it takes a few more weeks.

I hit 26 weeks today and am feeling great. My only complaint is this weird soreness in my pelvic/top of inner thigh area after I jog or walk briskly on the treadmill. Has anyone else experienced this? I'll ask my doctor tomorrow...I don't know if it's a ligament thing, or maybe just the fact that I'm dragging an extra 20 lbs that my body's getting used to.

In terms of nursery stuff, we're just getting started. Getting ready to paint, hopefully this weekend, and we just started our registry and picked out a bedding set/color scheme. I'm feeling completely overwhelmed by having to choose a crib/stroller/car seat/etc. DH and I took one look at the car seat aisle and fled, thinking "we'd better look at Consumer Reports before we even try to do this..."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Also wanted to thank Winter for the book recommendations last week...I've written those down and will look for them next time I'm in a store. Waiting for Baby Bargains to be delivered from Amazon! (better late than never, I suppose...)

Liz, I'm feeling some of your concern...we have a single-family house, but it's very cozy. There's no "play area," and I'm nervous about all the large, plastic things that a baby seems to require these days. I spent way too long today comparing exersaucers and bouncers and jumpers and whatever, trying to figure out which would take up the least amount of space (and be best for baby, of course...). But I know plenty of people who've had babies in 1 and 2-bedroom apartments, so we'll figure it out! A baby shouldn't really need a "play room" for at least 1-2 years, right?

Oh, the question I forgot to ask: do you guys have concerns about painting while pregnant? I'd thought it was completely fine, but a friend of mine wouldn't paint while pregnant, and we have a bunch of painting planned for the next few weeks. What have you guys heard? I'll ask my doctor tomorrow, but she definitely tends toward the more liberal end, so I'd like to hear if there are legitimate concerns about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think you can put a play pen in just about any room and that would suffice for quite awhile.  ...do they sell those anymore, or just pack'n'plays, and are those the same things?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Tangerine, you're totally right in they really don't need a play area until they are ready to play on their own. Kar, yes they still sell playpens, maybe we will look into something like that.

So funny how a baby can totally change your living situatons.